• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge (PC) modded for Oculus Rift support

Mr.Green

Is the headtracking seperate from the mouselook? That is key.

No. And yes, it is key.

Like I said this isn't proper support. Hell, it's not even a Mirror's Edge mod, it's a driver hack that'll work with just about any DirectX 9 game as far as I know.

No. And yes, it is key.

Like I said this isn't proper support. Hell, it's not even a Mirror's Edge mod, it's a driver hack that'll work with just about any DirectX 9 game as far as I know.

Oh, so it's different for native support? I guess that makes sense b/c this is just a mod.

I feel like we're getting closer and closer to the Sword Art Online end times with this tech. The instant a great MMO releases with support is the beginning of the end of the human race.

Mr.Green

Nope, it almost stretches your entire field of vision. What youre seeing on the split video does not represent how it appears on the headset at all.

Exactly. Well it IS the same image, but without the optics it's not representative. Like you said. Why did I post again?

How is he achieving stereoscopic 3D? Is he using the Nvidia 3D vision drivers or does the Oculus Rift support its own version of separate camera angles?

red731

I've subscribed to Bruce few days ago. I am glad I did.

Also, lets buy him a new PC and I don't mean it in "omg what's he playing on" way, but I've built PC and I am not doing anything like that on mine and he needs that output for 60fps.

Petrichor

I still haven't seen an oculus rift demo that looks anything other than clunky and borderline-unplayable.

This isn't the future of gaming.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
This looks amazing.
Imagine if we could use this in GTA. Oh god, GTA IV + FPS MOD + Oculus Rift.
I will probably buy this thing instantly.

iceatcs

Yep it is quite broken.

I think it will better off if it is made for VR. So it got to rewrite the game control and rescript the AI.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah THIS is the kind of game that will sell it. You're gonna be scared of heights, man!

iceatcs

Nope, it almost stretches your entire field of vision. What youre seeing on the split video does not represent how it appears on the headset at all.

Not really entire, but most of vision like 60 to 70% of your eye FOV. You will still see the black edge border.
Still, lot better than >10% from your eye to screen.

Ran rp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAC5SeNH8jw
90 year old grandmother tries Oculus Rift ;)

Now put her in Doom.

KuGsj.gif

red731

PSY・S;53977254 said:

You are laughing, but put her in Slender The Arrival, with happy music and when she begins to wander around and see weird tall fella, switch the music to sledner psycho "I'VE GOT YOU" mode and she'll die.

AkIRA_22

Of all the games to have on a Rift this seems like the most obvious. It's also probably the one most likely to make me sick.

Mr.Green

I still haven't seen an oculus rift demo that looks anything other than clunky and borderline-unplayable.

This isn't the future of gaming.

Then you haven't paid attention.

First: this game doesn't even support the Rift, and second: you were just trolling anyway. Tsk tsk!

Durante

This hacked in support really doesn't fully represent the possibilities of the Rift. The FoV is off, and the way it interacts with the moments when the game forces your view in a specific direction/movement is really bad.

Still, it gives an outlook on what can be possible. But for a real Rift demo you still need to try the Tuscany one (the new, updated one with great IQ).

red731

This hacked in support really doesn't fully represent the possibilities of the Rift....

Durante, how does it look with your unit? In your hands or, after traveling around the world, finaly in AU(if I am not mistaken)?

Funny you should mention that, The Gallery: Six Elements is strongly inspired by Myst and it looks very promising. It's designed from the ground up for VR with support for the Rift and [facultative] independent hand tracking with the Razer Hydra.

AND was fully funded with some days left(ed: 43hours)! I can't wait for that one. Glad he reached and over-reached his KS.

My interest in Rift has gone from not at all too suddenly intrigued. Maybe I was wrong and it wasn't the device making me uninterested but the software support.

Durante

Durante, how does it look with your unit? In your hands or, after traveling around the world, finaly in AU(if I am not mistaken)?
I got it last monday already actually, it was surprisingly quick once they figured out in Australia that Innsbruck is, in fact, in Austria.

I wrote some impressions here.

Mr.Green

This hacked in support really doesn't fully represent the possibilities of the Rift. The FoV is off, and the way it interacts with the moments when the game forces your view in a specific direction/movement is really bad.

And head tracking through hacked mouse emulation is fubar. I wish he would have made that clearer in his Vireio videos.

Kickz

Could you imagine the horror genre with this...

And I thought Silent Hill on the PSX scared me as a kid.

red731

I got it last monday already actually, it was surprisingly quick once they figured out in Australia that Innsbruck is, in fact, in Austria.

I wrote some impressions here.

Great, thanks for the link. Australia and Austria, man...I don't get it. It is so close to eachother.

Durante

And head tracking through hacked mouse emulation is fubar.
Yeah, it really is, for many reasons. I'm currently also trying to mod support into a game, but I'm manipulating the camera directly at the DirectX level (vertex shader parameters). This has multiple advantages:
- you can get the correct FoV (which is out of reach of settings for most games -- if they even have FoV settings)
- you are not "locked in" to a view when the game decides to do so
- you get the fastest possible response time -- no need to go through the games' input loop to incorporate new sensor data

However, sadly it has some extremely hard to circumvent problems:
- it's much harder to do. You need to figure out which parameters in which vertex shaders represent the camera/perspective matrix, and manipulate all of them accordingly, and do that in all render calls of the program. And also for (potential) tertiary values influenced by the view matrix.
- even if you manage all the above, you are basically fucked if the game does any culling in software, since that will still use the unchanged original FoV

Considering all this, the only way to get really good support in existing games is actually modifying their own camera handling in the binary. Which is a hard and labor-intensive task. A really bad combination, since the way you could usually deal with a labor-intensive issue in a situation like that -- by distributing it over tons of people with open source -- doesn't work nearly as well when the task in question requires a skill set very few people have.

This is kinda cool that you can use your Rift with existing titles, but people have to clearly understand that this isn't proper support by any stretch of the imagination. It's a driver hack with mouse emulation. Don't expect too much from this kind of experience.

And the game isn't set up to support free head movement. I don't think I could enjoy a rift game without that

Ledsen

Yeah, it really is, for many reasons. I'm currently also trying to mod support into a game, but I'm manipulating the camera directly at the DirectX level (vertex shader parameters). This has multiple advantages:
- you can get the correct FoV (which is out of reach of settings for most games -- if they even have FoV settings)
- you are not "locked in" to a view when the game decides to do so
- you get the fastest possible response time -- no need to go through the games' input loop to incorporate new sensor data

However, sadly it has some extremely hard to circumvent problems:
- it's much harder to do. You need to figure out which parameters in which vertex shaders represent the camera/perspective matrix, and manipulate all of them accordingly, and do that in all render calls of the program. And also for (potential) tertiary values influenced by the view matrix.
- even if you manage all the above, you are basically fucked if the game does any culling in software, since that will still use the unchanged original FoV

Considering all this, the only way to get really good support in existing games is actually modifying their own camera handling in the binary. Which is a hard and labor-intensive task. A really bad combination, since the way you could usually deal with a labor-intensive issue in a situation like that -- by distributing it over tons of people with open source -- doesn't work nearly as well when the task in question requires a skill set very few people have.

You don't say... would you say an appropriate title would be... PREPARE TO OCULUS RIFT EDITION?

Durante

You don't say... would you say an appropriate title would be... PREPARE TO OCULUS RIFT EDITION?
Except, as I point out in that post, there are many very hard hurdles, that might in fact be impossible to overcome. So don't get excited.

waters10

Neo Member
As Cliffy said in an interview, horror games might be too intense! They'd have to dial down a bit. I don't usually play horror games, but I think that one scene in Bioshock would kill people if they were using the rift ... I literally jumped.

Mirror's edge would be so cool if it gets official support. I think some of the tricks they use, like tilting the camera when you walk on the wall or when you're trying to balance on a cable would be the main motion sickness inducers. They'd need to get creative to get those to work.

I really hope the rift starts changing the way the characters move in game. They all use motion capture to make it realistic, but then in game, characters move at 2x speed and they have no sign of inertia! You watch players changing directions instantly in COD/BF/Halo. And the zombies in Left 4 Dead are the exact opposite of most movie sluggish zombies ...

clem84

Gold Member
This has always been the game that I thought would be a perfect match for oculus rift. Hopefully we will see an official sequel that supports the device.

Ruze789

This looks so fuckin awesome! I'd love to get one of these when the retail version is out. I never played the full ME, only the demo but I'd get it in a heartbeat if I had the OR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never played mirrors edge until recently, but all I can remember now is the horrific screen tearing that I can't seem to make go away no matter what I do. Can't imagine thats much fun with the entire screen wrapped around your eyeballs.

KageMaru

Mirror's Edge was one of the few games to make me experience vertigo and I loved it for that alone. Would love to try it with Oculus Rift.

Jowy

Neo Member
Wow this looks amazing...

But I think this isn't for me, I got motion sick just watching this on my phone :/

Top Bottom