• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Wii Proto/Concept Screenshots

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
mirrors edge actually would of been a lot better with waggle commands imo. remembering the buttons presses for everything was hard for me because it was such a new type of game. gestures are good for easily remembered commands at the very least

Firestorm

-COOLIO- said:
mirrors edge actually would of been a lot better with waggle commands imo. remembering the buttons presses for everything was hard for me because it was such a new type of game. gestures are good for easily remembered commands at the very least
There were like two main buttons... LB (I set to RB) for up actions. LT (I set to RT) for down actions.

AniHawk

-COOLIO- said:

I do not think it would work at all, since the only conceivable way I can see this playing (not using the classic controller), is with pointer controls.

Almak

The only problem with mirrors edge is that it had guns in it. Its a game that shouldn't have had any guns at all.
Would it have worked out on the wii, the art direction says yes but I'm not sure about the controls. :/

AniHawk

Firestorm said:
There were like two main buttons... LB (I set to RB) for up actions. LT (I set to RT) for down actions.
LB - quickturn
RB - Wallrun
A - jump
Y - disarm
X or B - fight (can't remember... probably both)

It's been a few months. So a lot of those are probably wrong.

But then there were things like the coil jump so... Yeah, I think there are way to many buttons to be mapped to motion control.

It probably could work on the Wii with pointer control if they removed combat altogether.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
-COOLIO- said:

I think the six axis controls allowed you to shake downwards for the tech roll landing thing... not sure if it offered anything else.

jett

D-Member
-COOLIO- said:

...waggle? WTF? You need exact, precise and immediate reaction in ME.

AniHawk said:
I think it's really weird DICE decided to animate her hair, considering you never see it in-game.

You can see it anytime when you see her shadow on the ground or a wall. The hair shadow moves naturally, which is a nice touch.

And we get to see Faith twice during the game anyway.

AniHawk

J-Rock said:
I like the cell-shaded style. Add WiiMotion Plus support and you'd have my interest.

How would WiiMotion Plus help this game in any way?

Philanthropist said:
You can see it anytime when you see her shadow on the ground or a wall. The hair shadow moves naturally, which is a nice touch.

And we get to see Faith twice during the game anyway.

It was probably one of those subtle little things that I saw but probably never appreciated. That's cool. Don't know why anyone would play the game in the third person though.

Edeuinu

levious said:
I think the six axis controls allowed you to shake downwards for the tech roll landing thing... not sure if it offered anything else.

balance on beams. beam balancin', if you will.

Although the game was short and the gunplay/melee underwhelming, the gameplay is phenomenal and I hope that there's a sequel. A "different" game on Wii would fit the bill.

Firestorm

AniHawk said:
LB - quickturn
RB - Wallrun
A - jump
Y - disarm
X or B - fight (can't remember... probably both)

It's been a few months. So a lot of those are probably wrong.

But then there were things like the coil jump so... Yeah, I think there are way to many buttons to be mapped to motion control.

It probably could work on the Wii with pointer control if they removed combat altogether.
Wallrun and Jump were both "up" actions actually. I think the bumper you didn't use was hit and X was slowdown time. Y was disarm probably... There might have been a shoot button. Memory hazy. I usually kicked people's faces and ran :lol

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
Do you swing anything in the game?

How the hell would that work? Do you plan on playing the game with just the remote?

People who want motion controls in this game should just pick up Wario Land.

-COOLIO- said:

Trying to get 3 stars on the time trials using waggle seems like something that would make me want to throw my controller out the window.

Blizzard

Banned
It looks like a like/hate game thread!

I'm reporting to state my "I think Mirror's Edge is an awesome game and I like the first-person free-running feel and the possibility for custom maps even though some people have problems with the editor" opinion. *vanishes*

Blizzard said:
I'm reporting to state my "I think Mirror's Edge is an awesome game and I like the first-person free-running feel and the possibility for custom maps even though some people have problems with the editor" opinion. *vanishes*

DICE actually mentioned awhile back that ME2 would have a level creator.

Blizzard

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
DICE actually mentioned awhile back that ME2 would have a level creator.
I believe so, but I've enjoyed working on levels now, instead of waiting a year or two for EA to get something working. :lol

°°ToMmY°° said:
it's a shitty game.

As opposed to all the other first person, parkour, platforming games out there? Yeah, shut it. It was a NEW idea that was FANTASTIC, but marred by a few flaws here and there. Can't wait for ME2.

AniHawk said:
Going for the no gun run was awesome. You can't do it right away though, because you have to check out the time trials and do the speed runs to really understand the depth of the level design and all the shortcuts.

I got it on my first go of the game. It wasn't even that difficult, in my opinion it's the way the game should have been played. It's all about escaping you're enemies and making your motion flow together. The only part where it was difficult not to shoot anyone was the area at the end with all those snipers. ARRGGG THAT was frustrating.

You got cheeks in my Mirror's Edge?

Honestly, though; I don't see what a Wii version could possibly have to offer this franchise.

Wii + waggle would turn the game into a rail shooter without the shooting. Choose your path and be graded. No thanks.

I stopped playing Mirror's Edge after a few chapters because the story was so fucking unbearably horrible. Never before has a game's storyline done so much to ruin my enjoyment of the game. The gameplay itself was decent but nothing special, it was basically Sands of Time in first person (but with even more annoyingly intrusive combat).

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
Balance your way through 10 exciting levels in this guided first person experience from EA and Backbone Entertainment.

I hate you. I hate you so much. I wish I could hate you to death.

nincompoop said:
I stopped playing Mirror's Edge after a few chapters because the story was so fucking unbearably horrible. Never before has a game's storyline done so much to ruin my enjoyment of the game. The gameplay itself was decent but nothing special, it was basically Sands of Time in first person (but with even more annoyingly intrusive combat).

Why didn't you skip it once the level stopped loading? They were basically glorfied loading screens.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
thebaroness said:
As opposed to all the other first person, parkour, platforming games out there? Yeah, shut it. It was a NEW idea that was FANTASTIC, but marred by a few flaws here and there. Can't wait for ME2.

Yeah, it's a fresh idea, so fuck the fact that it's boring as balls!

But hey, since it doesn't have a HUD, GAF thinks it's awesome :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
°°ToMmY°° said:
it's a shitty game.

*Yeah, well that's totally like your opinion, man.jpg*

Also Veronica Belmont is ugly and I wish Qore would stop having her on it.

Ysiadmihi said:
Yeah, it's a fresh idea, so fuck the fact that it's boring as balls!

Maybe for you, but minus the somewhat awkward controls the game shined when you started to get in the "flow" of Pakour.

Never before has a game let you run straight up a wall, vault over a strairways railing, wallrun up the stairs, wallrun straight up a wall 180, jump over the railing of the third floor and book it while the police are going up the stairs slowly. :lol

Davey Cakes

nincompoop said:
I'm pretty much agreed with you here. The story made me cringe.

The concept of the game was good, but the execution was merely okay. I would've loved it had the game just been about straight-up platforming with very little story (and especially very little combat).

I didn't want stupid cutscenes. I didn't even want optional gunplay. I didn't want to be shot at all the damn time. I just wanted a first-person Prince of Persia-like platforming experience. Partially, the game delivered, but it brought a bunch of extra crap that I could've done without.

Cant0na

Banned
People fap over this game too much

Loved the first couple of levels OPEN ROOFTOPS were amazing........... and then the Game became a pain during those terrible sewers and corridors and made me hate it by the time it was over.

Such a wonderful concept, terrible executions.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AniHawk said:
Stop it! STOP IT!!
What did I do? :(

Anyway, While this obviously got nowhere, I can't see why Mirrors Edge couldn't have also made it on Wii. The stupendously gorgeous PC version aside, the console versions of the game looked more functional than fantastic, and the game would work with Nunchuck + basic waggle, especially if the combat was toned down (preferably to 0).

Ah well, such is life.

Davey Cakes

Mirror's Edge with IR would be very cool. I hated using dual-sticks. It made the experience seem stiff and almost lifeless at times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GreyMatter said:
I hope you're joking.

Ain't joking if it's true.

This is where you're supposed to go "Well, that's totally like your opinion, man" which means we both know we're only being rebels by calling good things shitty.

If Qore stopped having her ugly mug load up in between my two-three minutes of the damn program to get my free stuff the world would be a better place. :lol

Top Bottom