• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Wii Proto/Concept Screenshots

Dra-Q

Banned
Oli said:
Hopefully if this is true, the project still exists and hasn't been scrapped. Honestly, I'd much rather see a Wii version of ME than Dead Space.

Wait, a railshooter of Mirror's Edge?

Amir0x

Banned
UT66 said:
Really? YOU DO KNOW?! Dont leave me hanging here, please enlighten me i dont want to fail at games anymore!

well between the two choices:

1. You fail at games.
2. It's a failed console game.

#2 is factually incorrect, so therefore only one is an option.

PSGames

Amir0x said:
this style of game being what exactly? first person platformers with shooting elements?

I didn't even think we knew the demographics of such a genre!

Platformer with colorful graphics :p

Minotauro said:
Yeah, you're right now that I think of it. I was imagining of a situation where you would just want to glance down at your feet to judge how close you are to the edge of a building but that would still necessitate pushing the whole camera through some sort of bounding box. It's been so long since I've played a first person game on the Wii. The last attempt I made was with Metroid and I remember that being a loathsome experience. I take back what I said...a Wii iteration would be utterly pointless.

That sounds like more of a failure on your part then the game's...And the wiimote is most definitely faster than an analog stick, let's not get into this ridiculous discussion again

Azure J

Skipping over all the comments in the thread that range from wat to lol-fucking-what about Mirror's Edge being bad, that concept art looks really really good. Then I saw Backbone and cringed a little. :lol

Another thing that concept art does to me is instill a Jet Set Radio vibe. Now, I fucking crave a Jet Set Radio Wii. D:

UT66

Banned
well between the two choices:

1. You fail at games.
2. It's a failed console game.

#2 is factually incorrect, so therefore only one is an option.

Im afraid is not that simple. Don't worry, most likely this is the correct answer.

3. I fail at games + its a failed console game.

see? we are both right.

Desiato

I can understand not liking the game, it's certainly not for everyone and it has its share of flaws. But some of the extreme hate in this thread is just plain stupid. It doesn't make you look cool or "edgy" (pardon the pun) to shit on a decent game like this.

PSGames

Amir0x said:
so color is Wii's domain, eh

Not exclusively, but colorful platformers (really any genre actually) haven't exactly been lighting up the charts on the HD consoles while there are several success stories on Wii (granted they are mostly Nintendo titles but still).

Dead Space sold more than ME on the HD Twins. I think the exact opposite would have happened on the Wii.

PSGames said:
Not exclusively, but colorful platformers (really any genre actually) haven't exactly been lighting up the charts on the HD consoles while there are several success stories on Wii (granted they are mostly Nintendo titles but still).

Dead Space sold more than ME on the HD Twins. I think the exact opposite would have happened on the Wii.

Klonoa Wii didn't exactly light up the charts. Nintendo branding is what drives their own platformers. Mirror's Edge Wii would most likely fail.

Love to see more Mirrors Edge, I considered it the best game since the Orange box, I also bought he DLC. Hell I even loved the free flash game.
I remember when all the hate came I thought the flash game was probably even better, until I tried the full game for myself. It probably helps to play it on PC.
Shame I don't have 2 duck taped gamecube's. But IIRC EA said a sequel was coming even though no one bought the first game.

Amir0x

Banned
PSGames said:

There are not actually that many success stories at all on Wii that aren't from Nintendo. And aesthetically, Mirror's Edge shares pretty much no relation with the type of colorful mascot-driven platformers that do well on Wii.

The thing is, Mirror's Edge is a difficult game to penetrate. To the outside observer, it may seem like any FPS. To the insider, it's an amazing concept that brings platforming perfectly in first person and is all about time trials. I don't see how it would do any better at connecting with Wii's audience than PS360.

Granted, I think they should try it. Anything to give the series a real go. But I think it's a stretch to suggest tha ME is demographically a better fit for Wii.

Zinthar

Haunted said:
The PhysX stuff was so fucking awesome, I have no real desire to play a Mirror's Edge game without it.

/PC snob

I was annoyed that my 4870X2 couldn't use it -- damn you, Nvidia.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Zoramon089 said:
That sounds like more of a failure on your part then the game's...

Ignoring the subjective nature of your point, I found it fundamentally unintuitive to turn using an onscreen reticle that pushes around an invisible bounding box.

But yeah, we should probably steer away from this argument as it's been done to death.

Amir0x said:
There are not actually that many success stories at all on Wii that aren't from Nintendo. And aesthetically, Mirror's Edge shares pretty much no relation with the type of colorful mascot-driven platformers that do well on Wii.

The thing is, Mirror's Edge is a difficult game to penetrate. To the outside observer, it may seem like any FPS. To the insider, it's an amazing concept that brings platforming perfectly in first person and is all about time trials. I don't see how it would do any better at connecting with Wii's audience than PS360.

Granted, I think they should try it. Anything to give the series a real go. But I think it's a stretch to suggest that ME is demographically a better fit for Wii.
I agree.

Love to see it though.

*licks chops*

neoism

I'm just reaaallly happy where getting ME2 sometime down the line! Hopefully SOLAR FIELDS will do the another spectacular soundtrack again! Fucking loved the first game!

Those who play Mirror's edge for the story are doing it wrong, the time trials an speed runs are where the game's really at.

Anyway if the Wii does get its own version or a port then I'm not really sure what the best method of control would be. I'm pointing this out because with past experience I've found the infrared pointer just doesn't feel sensitive enough - or even a feeling of lag as you're moving it around. Although I suppose the the best example of a pointer based game I can relate to is Boom Blox and I haven't played the conduit or any other FPSs on the system.

I've got all of the trophies (plus DLC) and three stars on almost all of the time trials on the PS3 so I have a pretty firm understanding on how the game plays. I just don't believe the fast paced style of Mirror's edge would work well enough with the slow to react (IMO) IR pointer, despite it having a high level of accuracy.

Roto13

Would this really work well on the Wii? I know the Wiimote is awesome for aiming, but how is it for turning and stuff? As good as or better than a second analog stick?

Either way, I hate Backbone, and I'm glad nothing ever came of this. Mirror's Edge is already somewhat "under-the-radar" for being a Christmas release that wasn't part of an established franchise. And the whole "first person non-shooter" thing. If a Wii version was to be attempted, it would deserve much better than Backbone.

I'd much rather see the flash version translated to the PSP or something. That game was really fun, and I think it could be great if it was expanded upon like that.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that I never really had to look at my feet in Mirror's Edge. >_>

Mar

abstract alien said:
and tighten up the controls

Did you really just say that? Have you played the game for any longer than an hour? Did you play with a bag on your head?

Mirror's Edge has THE tightest controls I've seen in a game for years. Probably since Mario Kart DS. The controls are so tight I sometimes think they've invented a way to read minds with the controller and have the game perform actions that to me honestly seem magical.

If you can watch this video and still say the controls weren't tight then you need to quit gaming and live on a small pacific island living out a life of solitude accompanied only by coconuts.

Amir0x

Banned
Mirror's Edge has controls so fucking ridiculously tight that even the tiniest change of direction will fundamentally alter the time you make on your run, or the placement of your jumps. It's fucking absurd how amazingly tight the controls were in that game, and how clever people with the best runs are are exploiting them

Mar_ said:

HOLY FUCK. Even I am amazed at that run! How is that shit even possible, good god people are amazing at games

KevinCow

Banned
AniHawk said:
LB - quickturn
RB - Wallrun
A - jump
Y - disarm
X or B - fight (can't remember... probably both)

It's been a few months. So a lot of those are probably wrong.

But then there were things like the coil jump so... Yeah, I think there are way to many buttons to be mapped to motion control.

It probably could work on the Wii with pointer control if they removed combat altogether.

It's your favorite game of '08 and you don't even remember its basic controls? I only played it for like an hour and I remember most of them:

LT - Down action (slide, roll, drop)
LB - Up action (jump, wall run, climb)
RT - Attack/fire
RB - Quick turn

Though these could be mirrored to put the L buttons on R and R buttons on L.

I don't remember exactly what the face buttons were, but one made you look at your goal, another activated slow mo, another disarmed, and I don't remember what the last one did. (Fake edit: looked it up, an they were, respectively, B, X, Y, and A activated stuff).

They could fit all the controls on the Wiimote and nunchuk, but I don't really see the point. Shooting is such a relatively small part of the game, and the Wiimote doesn't really enhance turning.

AniHawk

KevinCow said:
It's your favorite game of '08 and you don't even remember its basic controls? I only played it for like an hour and I remember most of them:

LT - Down action (slide, roll, drop)
LB - Up action (jump, wall run, climb)
RT - Attack/fire
RB - Quick turn

Though these could be mirrored to put the L buttons on R and R buttons on L.

I don't remember exactly what the face buttons were, but one made you look at your goal, another activated slow mo, another disarmed, and I don't remember what the last one did. (Fake edit: looked it up, an they were, respectively, B, X, Y, and A activated stuff).

They could fit all the controls on the Wiimote and nunchuk, but I don't really see the point. Shooting is such a relatively small part of the game, and the Wiimote doesn't really enhance turning.

A lot of info goes into my head during a semester and pushes other stuff out. It's like that time I took that wine-tasting class and forgot how to drive.

zero9

Banned
Mirror's Edge would have sold much better on the Wii given its aesthetic and female main character but I'm glad it was on the PC instead.

Ronin

I finished ME a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was great. A few rough edges here and there, but nothing that ruined the experience.

Mar_ said:
Did you really just say that? Have you played the game for any longer than an hour? Did you play with a bag on your head?

Mirror's Edge has THE tightest controls I've seen in a game for years. Probably since Mario Kart DS. The controls are so tight I sometimes think they've invented a way to read minds with the controller and have the game perform actions that to me honestly seem magical.

If you can watch this video and still say the controls weren't tight then you need to quit gaming and live on a small pacific island living out a life of solitude accompanied only by coconuts.

Nice vid. Here's another vid which show's the tight controls. The way he turns 90 degrees on an absolute dime is incredible, all done with a PS3 controller no less. Yeah he's one of the best players in the world but still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V-ZGmcf_eo

Model 500

OgTheClever said:
Anyway if the Wii does get its own version or a port then I'm not really sure what the best method of control would be. I'm pointing this out because with past experience I've found the infrared pointer just doesn't feel sensitive enough - or even a feeling of lag as you're moving it around.

FYI, your experience is not representative of the reailty re sensitivity and the feeling of lag on a correct setup.

Anyways, I really liked the ME demo on PS3, gonna get it as soon as I can give it some time. Too many absolutely great games waiting to be played properly on my shelf right now. And Resort + the new Monkey Island are right around the corner...

legend166

AniHawk said:
A lot of info goes into my head during a semester and pushes other stuff out. It's like that time I took that wine-tasting class and forgot how to drive.

Secrets of a Successful Marriage.

We should make this a game.

G.O.O.

A wii version would be nice. And could be an opportunity to be a bit more ambitious with the concept, so that it would become something really new.

I guess it won't happen, though. First one has far too much love for this. Not that it doesn't deserve it, but...

Sneds

SapientWolf said:
It's even weirder that they didn't use that time to animate her hips instead.

Apparently her hips are deliberately like that. When they animated her hips to look natural it meant that the first person view looked less realistic.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
nincompoop said:
The gameplay itself was decent but nothing special, it was basically Sands of Time in first person (but with even more annoyingly intrusive combat).
LOL, revisionist history is awesome. Sands of Time had FUCKTONS of "Now we're gonna throw a bunch of enemies at you, you must beat them to progress" bullshit. And the combat was really rough there, too.

CamHostage

theBishop said:
I'd buy that on PSP.

I once tried to trace the lineage of this and failed, but was the game DICE announced in 2004 or 2005 as like "New DICE Action Game" in addition to another version or two of Battlefield, wasn't that game going to have a last-gen version as well as PS3/360? (There was also going to be a PSP version of Battlefield.) I doubt this Backbone Mirror's Edge had anything to do with that concept, however.

Roto13

Shig said:
LOL, revisionist history is awesome. Sands of Time had FUCKTONS of "Now we're gonna throw a bunch of enemies at you, you must beat them to progress" bullshit. And the combat was really rough there, too.
Seriously. >_> I had like two moves I would spam until everything died.

But apparently "3D platformer with wall running" = "Prince of Persia" now.

Top Bottom