• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Misconceptions about your home country.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm assuming this one has been covered already, but just in case, no one in Ireland says 'top o' the morning to ya'. That is something you only hear in American TV shows & movies.

I have also noticed that Americans often confuse Irish and Scottish culture. Irish people don't wear kilts for example.

Mot a misconception as such, but it's really irritating when an American asks where you are from, to which I reply: Ireland, and then they ask which state that's in. This was particularly bad when I lived in Texas, I assume there is a place called Ireland there.

Chuckie

I'm assuming this one has been covered in already, but just in case, no one in Ireland says 'top o' the morning to ya'. That is something you only hear in American TV shows & movies.

Lol. I actually asked an Irsihman this in a pub once. He said: "We never say that... maybe the Scots?"

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Lol. I actually asked an Irsihman this in a pub once. He said: "We never say that... maybe the Scots?"

I have never heard this said by a Scot or in relation to a Scot, most Irish people consider it to be an American greeting. It probably did originate in the British Isles at some point, but no one over here has ever used it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

We do when we're pretending to be Irishmen. See also bejabbers, bejesus, crack.

Mostly but not exclusively English myth about Scotland is that the Scots are tight fisted cheapskates.

Turns out this is partly due to a negative reaction to rich Scots moving to London after the union and during the enlightenment.

The Scots are as generous and welcoming as their counterparts anywhere.

Lost Scottish drunks begging at Kings Cross station in London is real though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Most people I talked with in Japan didn't know that Poland has its own language. They thought we use either English or Russian.

There's also this weird myth here is that the alcoholic drink of choice in Poland is rectified spirit. It's not. I mean some people do if they don't have a choice, but it's usually used to make other, weaker alcohol.

Common misconceptions about Italy:
1) Our first language is Italian. That's incorrect. Our first language is whatever dialect we speak in our hometown, and THEN Italian.

You're giving the misconception. By large, the majority of people born after the 70s hardly speak any dialect on a daily basis. Knowledge of dialects is especially weakening in Northern Italy, which by itself holds 50% of the population, having been target of mass migration from the South and Centre.

Chuckie

I have never heard this said by a Scot or in relation to a Scot, most Irish people consider it to be an American greeting. It probably did originate in the British Isles at some point, but no one over here has ever used it.

We do when we're pretending to be Irishmen. See also bejabbers, bejesus, crack.

Lol yeah well that was what I was thinking...I thought to myself...I'm pretty sure Scots don't say that.

Guy was drunk tho.

disco

British people are not alcoholics. Maybe.

*Currently living in Germany and every time I dare order a drink whilst in the company of Germans they all smile/smirk at me lol.

We hosted a German exchange student and I asked her about this.

Her reaction to homeless people was funny though. Is there no homeless people in Germany?

To become homeless as a German is quite hard. The social security system here guarantees every German an appartment and money to live.

Fritz

You sound very angry. Way to play into a common stereotype, man.

No shit, guy us furious.

Okay, I'm sorry but no. And I'm not singling you out, because this has been bothering me about US gaf for a while now.

You have the same language, the same general culture, and consider yourselves the same ethnicity (the vague umbrella of American) in the sense of your identification with your country, even if your 'roots' are different. And obviously racial stresses do not disappear under that umbrella, but at least it keeps people from considering others of a different nation.

What USA-gaf in general does not understand is that nationalism == racism in its entirety. Calling an Irishman a Spaniard is a great way to start a fight with either or both, because they, like all nations in Europe, consider themselves different on a ethnicity (racial) level. Not just food and culture, but language, and a lot of other (though subjective) human qualities. Wars have been a constant in European history, and that includes more than a few rousing bouts of genocide. Try imaging Jersey going full "Lebensraum" (wholesale destruction by genocide of the local people) on its neighbors or Texas for a moment, and how absurd that suggestion sounds.
But that IS the reality of the European nations and the primary reason why things like the EU and NATO as projects of diplomacy are necessary to ensure the survival and safety of pretty much every nation on the continent. Because we would start shit again if nothing held that back. And don't mistake those of us identifying as 'European' for the general population either, because that is not the common view, and the threat of something like fascism rising is a real concern here. Pretty much the reason why a 'right wing' government for the US may be considered somewhat normal, but is the equivalent of defcon 3 in Europe.

Additionally, a diplomat in the EU has to be able to speak and / or write somewhere between ten and twenty-five national languages, whereas Americans seem to think speaking a second language is already a big deal. So every time I see one of those 'but the EU is basically the same as the Federal US system' I am basically fuming at the screen. Then again, almost nobody in Europe seems to understand that the EU is a diplomacy project to prevent suffering either, so that's hardly your fault. :(

But it does occasionally make it hard for me to sympathize with complaints on Trump, when most of gaf seems to have a poor understanding of what actual diplomacy means and why it's vital for everyone, or how quickly things can escalate out of control if people stop playing the game.

Also, good luck using Welsh in Bucharest, or Romanian in Wales. (it's far more likely for another nation to speak English than it is for English-speakers to speak the other language). You wouldn't even get very far in Bucharest with English only either, unless you follow tourist instructions (last I checked two years ago, and I do not speak the local language either).

edit: I know my post is not in the playful spirit of the thread, but it does count as a major misconception in my view.

I don't know about the US/EU comparison that I take from your post but I think the point of the importance of diplomacy can't be stressed enough. Peace is not a given, at least not in Europe. I've been to a rally of Angela Merkel this Sunday and she talked a bit about Europe and emphasised the EU's function as a stabilising factor. She said she was shocked how fast people during the financial crisis turned to sentiments like "the Greeks are all lazy" "the Germans are all bloodsuckers" "the Italians are this" "the French are that". It's really frightening actually.

When I went to Fayal in the Azores in 1995, just about all of the stores, and restaurants closed during the mid-day for a few hours. My mother said that this was a bit of a hassle, but normal there.

Restaurants closed during the mid-day? That's not possible. All restaurants are opened between 12-15. Unless they are closed for the day.

Stores yeah, many of them still close for lunch. Mostly cause they have the bare-minimum employees and they need to actually eat (and not be standing up 9 hours in a row).

jelly

Scotland

We do eat lots of vegetables and fruit.
Deep fried mars bars are not popular.
We aren't cheap.
We aren't always drunk.
Haggis is not gross, it's delicious.

She said she was shocked how fast people during the financial crisis turned to sentiments like "the Greeks are all lazy" "the Germans are all bloodsuckers" "the Italians are this" "the French are that". It's really frightening actually.

Thats more because the public TV-channels (whose high-ranking members are politicians) use those rethorics.

Thats why I am sad that our public channels, while good in a lot of parts, still have a certain agenda trying to push.

Us Welsh are certainly not sheep shaggers. The conception that the Welsh are thick as shit, is true.

We know how to drink and party though.

emalord

Apparently people think most Americans are fat and lazy and while true to some extent we are also pretty fit.

A friend of mine is attending a fair in Indianapolis (I think) and tells me 33% of the people have "WALL-E humans" size
Sent me some photos and it's kind of unbelievable

I went to the US in 1999 (Florida and New Orleans) and while there actually were a lot more obese then we are used in Europe, there were also a lot of normal-fit, very good looking people

A friend of mine is attending a fair in Indianapolis (I think) and tells me 33% of the people have "WALL-E humans" size
Sent me some photos and it's kind of unbelievable

I went to the US in 1999 (Florida and New Orleans) and while there actually were a lot more obese then we are used in Europe, there were also a lot of normal-fit, very good looking people

It's just a numbers game. The US could have 300 million obese mouth breathers (getting close) and still have more ripped athletes and models than Norway has people.

Fritz

Apparently people think most Americans are fat and lazy and while true to some extent we are also pretty fit.

That's exactly my (mis-)conception. Far too many obese people and then a lot of super fit people. Just hardly any people with a normal approach to food, nutrition and exercise

Ullus

Our meatballs aren't all that great.
We have a lot of guns.
There is no race war going on.
Winters don't get all that cold. (Stockholm area)
We are not all supermodels :(
Surströmming isn't bad. You're just eating it wrong.
There is more to Sweden than just Stockholm.

besada

Banned
And who makes them?

One question I been asked a lot abroad, though only by Americans, is "Do you eat lucky charms?"

My wife and I honeymooned in Ireland, and nearly every place where we admitted to being Texans they asked us if we wore cowboy hats or rode horses or lived on ranches. It was also just after 9/11 (like 10 days after) and everywhere we went people asked if we knew people in the towers. They were also incredibly sweet about our loss, and very friendly overall.

One cabbie asked us about guns, and couldn't believe it when I told him there were more guns than adults in my state.

yepyepyep

Australia

-We don't cook shrimp on the barbie. We call them prawns and I am sure some people cook seafood on barbecues but most people will just be eating meat.
-There are a lot of kangaroos in Australia but you won't see them roaming around city areas, only in semi-rural and rural areas.
-Australian cities are not homogeneously white.
-I've never seen any of the dangerous creatures that are supposed to kill you. The feeling of impending doom when encountering a (harmless) huntsman spider is real though.

Unfortunately, while living in London I've heard quite a few people who have visited Australia say that they felt it was more racist than average so there may be some truth to that stereotype :(

I'm an Australian, so basically everything haha.

It's fun though.

I live in a city of 500k, and admittedly when I used to have a property on the outskirts of the city I used to see large or dangerous spiders at least a few times a week and used to have to deal with removing snakes, echidnas, goannas etc. from my property every three or four weeks. I'd wake up to kookaburras being a bunch of cheeky fucks and being the loudest bloody things in the universe. There would be dozens in the tree outside my room fighting with the rainbow lorikeets, galahs and kookaburras because they all wanted the bottlebrush tree for themselves and they'd be much louder than my alarm. Also, basically every morning I'd drive past kangaroos and wallabies looking like dipshits just off and people riding their horses on the road...

I now live closer to the city centre on waterfront, so I don't see any of that much anymore except when I go for a ride on my motorcycle through the hinterland and mountains. I miss it a little.

Markitron

My wife and I honeymooned in Ireland, and nearly every place where we admitted to being Texans they asked us if we wore cowboy hats or rode horses or lived on ranches. It was also just after 9/11 (like 10 days after) and everywhere we went people asked if we knew people in the towers.

Whereabouts in Ireland was it? These questions seem far too ignorant for the average Irish person. We're not a bunch a geniuses but our education system is fairly good, all things considered. An Irish person would have a decent working knowledge of the American revolutionary and civil wars for example.

I've never seen any of the dangerous creatures that are supposed to kill you. The feeling of impending doom when encountering a (harmless) huntsman spider is real though.

I live in a city of 500k, and admittedly when I used to have a property on the outskirts of the city I used to see large or dangerous spiders at least a few times a week and used to have to deal with removing snakes, echidnas, goannas etc. from my property every three or four weeks.

You guys are not dispelling any misconceptions here :) I love Australians but there isn't a power on Earth that would make me visit there.

German beer isn't great at all. There are a few exceptions – some bavarian wheat beer variations are pretty good if you like that style.

Also Germans (as a whole) don't fucking care about good independent beer. Most people just drink the typical mass produced crap that basically all belongs to the Radeberger group. Becks, Hasseröder and Pils beers in general. The "Reinheitsgebot" is outdated and only used as a marketing device.

Germans are creatures of habit and that's why 8 out of 10 people will be grossed out when confronted with really good craft beer.

Eastern Germany:
We moved on. There still are some social differences (worse and unfair loans for the same amount of work) but apart from that we don't live in the 80s anymore as many people (even within our country) seem to think. Haha.

Markitron

I'll add another:

Brits (when actually they really mean England fans) are the ones that start all the football fights.

this so fuckin much. Welsh and Scottish fans have won uefa awards.

Pretty much all of the British Isles except England. AFAIK Irish fans are very well received abroad.

amanset

I do not speak for any Swede other than myself but people thinking they're being clever by 'pretending to be Swedish' by either just swapping out every a and o for åäö or by impersonating "The Swedish Chef" (bork bork bork) aren't being clever, original or funny. They're being racist.

It is even more weird when they use ø which isn't even a part of fucking Swedish. Which is most of the time.

amanset

Pretty much all of the British Isles except England. AFAIK Irish fans are very well received abroad.

The side point that I was making is, although there are definitely some England fans that like a ruckus, there are fans from a great many countries that like it, especially from Eastern Europe. And they like to fight the England fans as they are seen as the originators (despite there being well documented cases in South America decades ago) and thus the ones to beat. Hence England fans always seem to be involved as half the time groups of hooligans specifically go out after the England fans.

Again, I am not absolving England fans of all blame, but they take way, way, WAY more of the blame than they deserve.

Oh and it is a very small minority of fans. I've met people that genuinely think all football fans from England just want a scrap and all matches are basically warzones.

Meadows

Banned
British people drink a lot. It is true to some extent but the younger people are drinking less and less compared to previous generations.

Also that we drink tea all the time. I believe tea consumption is going down quite a lot in the UK and coffee is way more popular.

mrkgoo

My roommate tells me stories of her time over there: your default portion sizes are absurdly large, everything is super sweet (apparently your bread tastes incredibly weird to outsiders) and your cars are huge.

Confirm/deny?

When I was in US, all these were true to me.

Markitron

True! Wish I wasn't part of the uk. Hmm how's the job market for finance Jobs in Ireland?

Job Market in general is pretty good right now, especially for professionals. I'm an R&D Chemist myself and would be spoiled for choice right now if I was looking.(I'm quite happy where I am).

When I was in US, all these were true to me.

I used to live in Houston and the thing about portion sizes was certainly true there anyway. My first day there I ordered breakfast in a diner, and was given more pancakes than I thought existed in the world as a side.

Side story: some guy at the table next to me ordered a regular coke, when it arrived he poured extra sugar into it. I'm fairly certain I was at risk of getting diabetes just by looking at it.

molotrok

Im sure this has been said.

Mexico is a desert- I have only lived in Mexico City and Oaxaca, which are both vastly different than the desert border towns.

Mexicans take siestas- This is not a thing where I grew up.

Mexican spanish is so different than Spaniard Spanish that we cant understand each other- Other then the various dialects that are spoken by a minority of folks in both countries, the languages are fairly similar apart from the accents.

Mexicans wear loose clothes and love lowriders- I had never seen nor heard of this sub culture till I moved to the US.

Markitron

Mexicans wear loose clothes and love lowriders- I had never seen nor heard of this sub culture till I moved to the US.

I always assumed this was an LA/Cholo thing, and not representative of actual Mexicans at all.

Violet_0

Banned
you can mention the war. That line is bollocks. If all you ever heared about other countries comes from Family Guy, I feel deeply, deeply sorry for you

the Hasselhoff did actually single-handedly bring down the wall, that's fact

Liljagare

Nope no polar bears on the streets, the alps are pretty, but they are in another country, and the bikini team hasn't been a thing since the 80's.

Acorn

Job Market in general is pretty good right now, especially for professionals. I'm an R&D Chemist myself and would be spoiled for choice right now if I was looking.(I'm quite happy where I am).

I used to live in Houston and the thing about portion sizes was certainly true there anyway. My first day there I ordered breakfast in a diner, and was given more pancakes than I thought existed as a side. Side story: some guy at the table next to me ordered a regular coke, when it arrived he poured extra sugar into it. I'm fairly certain I was at risk of getting diabetes just by looking at it.
Cool, thanks man. Something to look into! No rush thanks to being able to get an Italian passport through my nana.

Top Bottom