• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Misconceptions about your home country.

Kurdel

Banned
Canada:
Americans think that Canadians are polite.

that is a load of horse shit. Canadians can be jerks, cuss, road rage and lose their minds like anybody else.

I went to Toronto, and people were ridiculously more polite than here in Québec.

Like people saying soorry to every single person in the row while they have to go to the bathroom.

Here you say it passive aggressively if someone doesn’t make an effort to move their legs.

Malakai

Apparently people think most Americans are fat and lazy and while true to some extent we are also pretty fit.

That is a class or socioeconomic thing. Upper class people tend to be in better shape than lower class people. Also, the low class folks in the states are under a lot of stress as well which influences weight.

More of a dahlia man myself. :D

van-gogh-flower-parade-floats-corso-zundert-netherlands-14.jpg

Speaking of regional differences, this depicted event is literally just one town and it's literally the one big event of the year, and it's all community effort based.

besada

Banned
Whereabouts in Ireland was it? These questions seem far too ignorant for the average Irish person. We're not a bunch a geniuses but our education system is fairly good, all things considered. An Irish person would have a decent working knowledge of the American revolutionary and civil wars for example.

All over, really. The cabbie was in Waterford, but we got asked about cowboy hats in a pub in Dublin. And, to be fair, I've had Americans ask me if I wore a cowboy hat because I lived in Texas, so it wasn't exactly surprising:)

I did get the worst directions in the universe in Ireland, though. We were trying to find a castle and asked some older guy on the road, and he said "Go down two or three streets and take the right or left turn."

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I went to Toronto, and people were ridiculously more polite than here in Québec.

Like people saying soorry to every single person in the row while they have to go to the bathroom.

Here you say it passive aggressively if someone doesn’t make an effort to move their legs.

We tend to say sorry instead of excuse me

redcrayon

We tend to say sorry instead of excuse me
My favourite UK use of 'sorry' is for 'im going to pretend that I didn't hear you while implying through facial expression that what you said was incomprehensible or awful'. Can also mean 'speak up', 'excuse me', 'please help' or 'I didn't see you there'. Sometimes it even means 'sorry' :)

Can we just acknowledge that tourists in general are annoying? The ones of the European variety tend to be loud mouthed, chain smoking, know-it-alls that always find a new way to be in your way.

For Ohio, it's not all cornfields outside of its major cities. Though we are all sarcastic assholes

daviyoung

Banned
Can we just acknowledge that tourists in general are annoying? The ones of the European variety tend to be loud mouthed, chain smoking, know-it-alls that always find a new way to be in your way.

For Ohio, it's not all cornfields outside of its major cities. Though we are all sarcastic assholes

You get tourists in Ohio?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Scotland

We do eat lots of vegetables and fruit.
Deep fried mars bars are not popular.
We aren't cheap.
We aren't always drunk.
Haggis is not gross, it's delicious.

I thought deep fried Mars bars was more a Newcastle thing. Deep fried everything else certainly is a thing, going by my years in Edinburgh. Sausage, pizza, haggis etc.

Bleepey

German here.

- no, we don‘t like Hitler, we do NOT appreciate your Asian or American ass shouting „Sieg Heil“ at us and doing the salute. Fuck right off.
- no, german women are not all blonde, they do not all have massive breasts and they do not all wear Dirndls. And if they do, they do not really appreciate being called „Fraulein“ and being groped at the Oktoberfest.
- no, we do NOT all live either in Bavaria or „the East“
- yes, there‘s Neo-NAZIs here
- yes they can speak their mind and have demonstrations on the street as long as they obey the law (don‘t show NAZI symbols, don‘t engage in hate speech, don‘t show the NAZI salute etc)
- no, we do not all think that Americans are really really stupid. But a lot of us don‘t like US foreign policy, including your foreign policy under Obama.
- no, we‘re not always drunk
- yes, we like beer
- yes, we have elevators
- yes, we have TVs
- yes, we have the internet
- yes, most of us speak english
- yes, a lot of us also speak french, so if you Teen French fuckers waltz around in Nürnberg or München or Berlin and comment loudly on women’s bodies in French said women will very likely understand what you are saying, you stupid idiots.
- yes, we have a lot of muslims in our bigger cities. Yes, they belong here. No, you don‘t need to be scared of them. Yes, some are assholes, as are some of the rest of us and some of you.
- no, dear brits, we do NOT appreciate you trying to start a fight in the streets over the football. Go fuck right off. And stop it with the goddamn NAZI salute when you’re drunk, god damnit. Also, most of us understand your slurs, even when you’re fucking drunk. And yes, we will judge your ass because of that, and this beautiful girl over there will NOT be oblivious because your foreign language is oh so complicated.
- yes, there is german humor, and we are fucking funny.
This made me chuckle

I was shocked by the politeness of Southerners in the North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.
"Good Afternoon" ""hello" "have a nice day"

total strangers. I was WTF, i never heard that in Montreal by total strangers

People in the South are generally super nice, it just that the South has a decent amount of not so nice people.

jfkgoblue

As an American...

That we are all fat and lazy. This drives me insane, we do have an obesity problem, but the average American is not fat.

That we live in constant fear of mass shootings. The truth is that mass shootings are actually extremely rare but every time it happens it gets extensive media coverage around the world.

That you can road trip from NYC to LA in a day. It would actually take 4-5 days at 8-10 hours of driving a day to make the drive, depending on traffic.

In the same vein, that we all live near or in either LA, Chicago, or NYC. I blame Hollywood for this one as there are not very many movies that take place outside those 3 locations.

When I was in Lisbon locals asked me if I was from California constantly, and I had to keep explaining that I was from Michigan which they thought meant I went to the University of Michigan and didn't realize that it was an entire state with a population of over 10 million people.
You get tourists in Ohio?
As someone who lives in Ohio, (but from Michigan so I may be biased)there is nothing to do here aside from the GOAT amusement park Cedar Point.

PillarEN

When I was in Lisbon locals asked me if I was from California constantly, and I had to keep explaining that I was from Michigan which they thought meant I went to the University of Michigan and didn't realize that it was an entire state with a population of over 10 million people.

For those who don't know the States much you should have just blurted out Detroit. If that doesn't work just blurt out Ford. If none of that works... give up, cause Portugal wouldn't know any of the pro sports teams.

18-Volt

Apparently a LOT of Americans still think Turks are desert-dwelling, camel-riding savages.

Met thousands of American and Canadian people in my whole life but never came across the whole "You got camels?" thing. It's just a myth, nobody assumes Turkey is a hot desert country.

But I got lots of "You don't look Turkish", "Do you eat lots of Shish Kabob?" (well, I can't lie, I love Shish Kabob), "Like the Thanksgiving bird, isn't it? Haha!", "You were once communists, weren't you".

The best reaction comes from Eastern Europen people, who know about Turkey from its world famous Efes beer: "You Turkish? I love your beer man, delicious!"

jfkgoblue

For those who don't know the States much you should have just blurted out Detroit. If that doesn't work just blurt out Ford. If none of that works... give up, cause Portugal wouldn't know any of the pro sports teams.
lol everyone assumes Detroit is a hellhole(even Americans) so I'm not sure that would be much better.

America.

We aren't all crazed assholes.

Well, no ok let me try again.

We don't like Trump and his supporters are actually a minority of evil shit heads compared to all the good crazy people here.

As for Georgia, my state, we are wayyyy more liberal than people think, especially Athens, Savannah, and Atlanta. Very LGBT friendly and we have a massive African American population that blends just fine alongside even the most "country" white people we have.

We're also horribly embarrassed by all of our neighboring states. Especially Alabama and Florida.

A lot of south Georgia is shit though, but it might as well be part of Florida and none of us care about it.

guggnichso

Banned
We hosted a German exchange student and I asked her about this.

Her reaction to homeless people was funny though. Is there no homeless people in Germany?

There are, but they are mostly extreme alcoholics, heroin addicts in their late stages and people with immense mental illnesses. It's very very hard to become homeless in Germany if you are able to function on a very basic level. But they are there, in every major city.

Met thousands of American and Canadian people in my whole life but never came across the whole "You got camels?" thing. It's just a myth, nobody assumes Turkey is a hot desert country.

But I got lots of "You don't look Turkish", "Do you eat lots of Shish Kabob?" (well, I can't lie, I love Shish Kabob), "Like the Thanksgiving bird, isn't it? Haha!", "You were once communists, weren't you".

The best reaction comes from Eastern Europen people, who know about Turkey from its world famous Efes beer: "You Turkish? I love your beer man, delicious!"

I'd honestly instantly agree with you that it's a myth, but I've heard it from more than 20 different people in different circumstances and different times, so I'm inclined to believe there's at least some truth to it.

Then again I'm a high schooler so perhaps the stereotype only exists between younger people.

Top Bottom