• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Misrepresented professions in fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

Whether it's your profession or not, what do you think is the profession that media likes to mess with the most?

Two big ones that come to mind are programming/cyber security (or anything involving computers)

0SsCfO.gif

And archeology

giphy.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mr Robot does computer stuff exceptionally

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Very few legal cases hinge on surprise witness testimony and Encyclopedia Browning the evidence timeline during one's closing argument.

Zubz

Banned
As a psychotherapist, then number of shows that still take influence from Freud-era practices (Particularly with a fainting couch facing away from the therapist) is surprising.

The only noticeable exception coming to mind is the Always Sunny episode where the gang crashes Dee's therapy session. Even then, they're all let into the office at once & are immediately seen individually afterwards (Granted, an argument could be made for this being a "family session" & the gang has a history of barging into offices unscheduled by tying up whoever's at the front desk, so...).

There has to be more accurate portrayals, though. Since Foolkiller was explicitly stated to be a psychotherapist I picked that series up, but then his origin was explained through an inappropriately long instance of self-disclosure... Plus the fact he kills his clients is a wee bit inaccurate. Just a bit.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Pretty much all profession are misrepresented in media as writers take liberty to make it exciting.

Though I can't defend CSI, that show is just stupid.

Platy

Suicide Squad makes Indiana Jones looks like the best version of archaeology =P

I think it would be easier to mention the ones who are NOT misrepresented =P

Some Fiction loves to show Art as something that comes from nowhere an without effort
Which is weird since those fiction themselves are some form of art.

Platy

Ive never seen SS but know generally what its about...this statement confuses me greatly. Is there a lot of archaeology in SS?

There are like 5 minutes and it destroyes even what indiana jones try to keep from actual.

Like a small woman goes on a solo expedition in the middle of a jungle with minimal clothing, enter a cave and DESTROYS an ancient statue for no reason

Pretty much all profession are misrepresented in media as writers take liberty to make it exciting.

Though I can't defend CSI, that show is just stupid.

obligatory :

xrRbeRH.png

https://xkcd.com/683/

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
IT \ Hacking.
Exception made for Mr. Robot and a handful of others, it gets really, really, really, really stupid.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Very few legal cases hinge on surprise witness testimony and Encyclopedia Browning the evidence timeline during one's closing argument.

Yep. Trial is almost always just an oral recitation of things everyone already knows. Surprise witness testimony in general is almost never going to happen since Judge's won't admit it, and almost every witness that appears on the stand is thoroughly vetted by both sides to know what they will say because the testimony already happened prior to the trial itself.

I just watched Office Christmas Party with my wife last night, and the depiction of whatever the fuck Olivia Munn's job was in that movie (is she some kind of hacker, or genius programmer, or what?) drove me crazy. For a dumb movie about people getting fucked up, I don't know why they crammed in that strange subplot.

Just be easier to name ones they get right. I've been a journalist and a programmer and although there are exceptions they usually get those hilariously wrong.

Here's an example that's fresh in my mind. Last night I watched an episode of Smallville featuring Clark Kent and Lois Lane's super inaccurate journalistic adventures, in which Clark intentionally blows an important deadline so he can get Lois to help him rewrite a story to get close to her. She takes a red pen to it for 30 seconds and corrects some minor grammar errors so he offers to share the byline. This is so many shades of wrong and fireable.

And another one (or maybe the same one, they run together) where Chloe tries to hack into a system but has to get through 100 "firewalls."

besada

Banned
All of them. A more interesting question would be which films get a profession right, which ones show us what it's really like, because the vast majority of portrayals of all professions are simplistic and often just wrong.

Cat Party

All of them. A more interesting question would be which films get a profession right, which ones show us what it's really like, because the vast majority of portrayals of all professions are simplistic and often just wrong.
My Cousin Vinny is surprisingly accurate in its portrayal of a criminal trial. The main liberty taken is the short time between the crime and the trial.

The Verdict is also pretty good, though it's representative of a bygone era.

Venture

According to movies and TV if you work in a morgue you're always eating sandwiches while on the job. You know, to show how blasé you are.

Anthropology/Archaeology
I studied media, linguistic, and cultural anthro. If only fieldwork were as exciting as the movies sometimes.

Weird one that media gets right: People who work at theme parks. It's the weirdest, most exasperating, groan inducing thing, but you're also a little bit brainwashed into thinking you're having a good time, so you keep going

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've had some lawyer friends tell me Better Caul Saul certainly takes liberties with the law profession but a lot of it is pretty accurate. Mostly the inaccurate stuff revolves around Saul himself but that's kind of the point considering his character and how he works.

Tugatrix

Psychology, we are treated either as know all or as guys that just speak of the problem (like that would be enough to solve the problem)

Internal Affairs being some bizarre type of asshole who wants to arrest normal cops for doing nothing vs real life where IA is basically the HR dept of the police force.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Video game makers... The only thing they kind of get right is the offices are decorated with lots of toys and memorabilia.

Yep. Trial is almost always just an oral recitation of things everyone already knows. Surprise witness testimony in general is almost never going to happen since Judge's won't admit it, and almost every witness that appears on the stand is thoroughly vetted by both sides to know what they will say because the testimony already happened prior to the trial itself.

Surprise evidence, too. I think My Cousin Vinny is the only movie I've ever seen explain disclosure.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fictional bartender seems like a pretty sweet gig. Serve one drink, then talk to the customer for an hour.

Don't even serve a drink, just clean one glass endlessly. With the towel thrown over your shoulder to signify your profession.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Video game makers... The only thing they kind of get right is the offices are decorated with lots of toys and memorabilia.

The modern storyline of Assassin's Creed was one of the more on the point looks at making a AAA game across a gigantic company and several studios even if it takes place in the far future and in the end its Templar BS but still. It was really meta considering it was Ubisoft game at that.

Chimney sweep.

That shit was pretty lethal and not something to be romanticized about in books and shows based around the 18th century era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom