• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

Quazar

Controls will have a bit of a trick to it, while having a blend of RPG-type strategy and growth. Behaviors based on interaction with the situation around you...wait, I'm not supposed to say more than this… (^^;

Damn maybe one of the projects is for Wii

Quazar said:
Controls will have a bit of a trick to it, while having a blend of RPG-type strategy and growth. Behaviors based on interaction with the situation around you...wait, I'm not supposed to say more than this… (^^;

Damn maybe one of the projects is for Wii

So I take it this is suppose to evolve the Chrono formula?

Quazar

Aokage pointed out in the new Blue Dragon thread that they photoshopped out the Wii development kit, and sure enough:

fujisakaa.jpg

Interesting!

edit: check out OP for first pic

Quazar

Shadowlink123 said:
Hmm.... If it's a wii game, it will be interesting. When do you think we'll learn about this game?

It sounds like he's been talking about a couple different games since LO released. But one of them should be shown soon:

Sakaguchi said:
Sometime this year, it seems I'll be able to announce what this new project is.

That was a little before E3. TGS has always been my guess since that update.

MassiveAttack said:
And well, this is NeoGAF. Home to armchair financial advisors.

:lol

It's not just on GAF. It's IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot. We got people caring about other peoples money that they are never going to personally see.

Alex

Could sell 5 copies, I dont give a fuck, just make another console game. Don't care what console either. BD and LO were, along with SMT titles, the only interesting JRPGs since god knows when.

pswii60

Alex said:
Could sell 5 copies, I dont give a fuck, just make another console game. Don't care what console either. BD and LO were, along with SMT titles, the only interesting JRPGs since god knows when.
This.

I hope the fact that MS has got FFXIII doesn't mean they won't continue to work with Mistwalker. Mistwalker is more like to be working on Wii/DS projects without that financial support.

E-phonk

Banned
1cesc said:
Don't they realize editing the dev kit out just makes it all the more obvious?

Isn't part of the NDA that they aren't allowed to show the devkits? If so the reason why they had to manipulate the picture might be to respect the contract they have with Nintendo.

duckroll

So with the new BD DS coming out on Oct 1, I guess we'll almost certainly hear about something from them at TGS. I wonder what it'll be. Maybe it'll be....... Retirement: The Videogame.

Alex said:

That's true. Some of the best games aren't in the news :D

Wow, I wonder what direction they'll go with on the Wii. Given the "targeted" diversity with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, they have a big range of possiblities. Rpg I hope :D

Jonnyram said:
Wow, if he's making a Wii game he must want to sell even less than LO and BD :lol

Considering their profile they didn't exactly do very well...a wii game should cost less anyway, so it could mean more profit

Diablos

Mistwalker gets too much hate. Far too much hate. Blue Dragon is so underrated it's ridiculous, and Lost Odyssey, while I felt it had some flaws, is still a solid effort and better than some of the stuff S-E has been putting out lately (i.e. Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4). Can't speak for their DS stuff.

batbeg

Diablos said:
Mistwalker gets too much hate. Far too much hate. Blue Dragon is so underrated it's ridiculous, and Lost Odyssey, while I felt it had some flaws, is still a solid effort and better than some of the stuff S-E has been putting out lately (i.e. Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4). Can't speak for their DS stuff.

I prefer these two to Mistwalker's 360 efforts by far (haven't played SO4, would probably feel the same about it though). I realize I'm in a huge minority in GAF for loving Infinite Undiscovery, but as far as The Last Remnant is concerned... you might be fighting an uphill battle if you're saying it's worse than the Mistwalker games.

Not that I'm not looking forward to whatever Mistwalker does. They've yet to impress me at all, but I'm still excited to see what the Gooch can do. He's bound to have that magic somewhere inside of him still <3

Teetris said:
LO is the realest RPG we've seen this generation. I'd like some more of it please.

Just finished LO and it is the best JRPG in some time. We really need a sequel to it or something along those lines. It's my favorite FF since FF7 - :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PSGames said:
Lost Odyssey is the best JRPG released this gen by far. (the best selling too if I'm not mistaken)
It didn't do so well in Japan though, which I'm guessing MS looked at when deciding whether or not to do a sequel. Why have the developer make a sequel to Ninety Nine Nights instead is what boggles my mind though...

Quazar

jj984jj said:
It didn't do so well in Japan though, which I'm guessing MS looked at when deciding whether or not to do a sequel. Why have the developer make a sequel to Ninety Nine Nights instead is what boggles my mind though...

Well they do have several teams.

harSon

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Wow, if he's making a Wii game he must want to sell even less than LO and BD :lol

It's sort of true though, if he can't manage to sell a game on the DS then I'm not sure if he'll do any better on the Wii. Doesn't matter to me, plan on rebuying a Wii later this year :D

Diablos said:

so true, too much hate for both of them

Is another traditional turn based (console) JRPG too goddam much to ask for?

Mistwalker is just dicking around and they know what I want.

I know it's just 3 dudes over there but if you're going to take forever just let me know you're thinking about me. :lol

Diablos said:
More BD, please. :D It's the perfect blend of Chrono and FF. I loved it.

That's kind of funny, actually. Chrono is already like a 50% blend of DQ and FF, so a blend of Chrono and FF is like 75% FF to 25% DQ, which is... probably not all that far off from Blue Dragon. :lol

If they're going to make a new Blue Dragon, they better have distinct classes per character. I'm getting tired of this class pallete, everyone can do everything bullcrap that JRPGs are picking up. I like JRPGs because each character is specialized a certain way.

Quazar

jj984jj said:
I know they do now, but did they when they were making LO?

Valid point. But obviously they can do another with less people this time. Sounded like a cluster fuck for a start up with LO.

Quazar

So another update yesterday.(english translation anyways)

Upward Facing Rays of Light
Signs of Recovery&#12288;&#12288;2009.6.24

Sakaguchi said:
It’s six o’clock in the morning. Rays of light stretch between a
mountain and a slightly thick cloud. For some reason, it feels like a
‘sign of recovery.’ Not about the recovery of the economy, rather
about my cold-laden pet dog, Skip. There seems to be a flu-like virus
going around among dogs. I was concerned since she didn’t get excited
when offered a snack. Though she seems better this morning. Thank
goodness.

I am headed to Tokyo this afternoon. I’m going to a meeting for a new
project. Most of the game system is figured out. I strategically
implemented a system of battlefield ‘order and chaos’ during real-time
scenes. I feel it came out very interesting. The overall balance and
experience parameters still have to be worked on, but there is a
growing feel of ‘addiction’ you can sense. I think this is most
important. Games are decided by the ‘feeling of being enhanced during
game play.’ While I’m pouring 120% of my energy into this, the driving
force can also be credited to production’s passion; developers’ state
of mind and the technology itself lended from former experiences.
It’s great that all these elements are blending well with each other
and advance the production. I’d like to keep the tension as high as
it currently stands. I will keep you on the edge of your seat with
this one.

I'm on the edge of my seat already Sakaguchi!

Eteric Rice

So far none of their games have really impressed me. Lost Oddessy had good characters, but the story was meh (except for the thousand years of dreams, that was awesome stuff), but I found the gameplay was boring and I didn't care for the Unreal Engine look of the game.

Blue Dragon was just your average RPG.

Curious to see what he's doing now, though. If he's working on a Wii game, I wonder if Nintendo is going to help him? I mean, he usually goes with MS on these things.

Ah well, good luck to em in whatever they do. Hopefully they get into gear and their next game is really awesome. Square-Enix needs the competition, because their latest games haven't been to great either.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I wouldn't really call that a devkit. To clarify, it plays RVT media, which is what in development games are burned to. Usually QA works with them, and obviously reviewers use them as well.

Edit: and that was an old ass post. Whoops.

Jonnyram said:

Don't worry they'll port it to the PS2 and PSP so you can play it.

Lame trolls aside, if whatever this is appears after DQX it will do better than LO and BD, easily.

Sydle

Loved Lost Odyssey and currently enjoying Blue Dragon, so I'm excited to see their next project. I hope it's at TGS.

Top Bottom