• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Birdseye Trailer (Striking Distance Studios; Fast-Action Shooter/Roguelike)

CamHostage

Project Birdseye (*working codename) is a fast-paced Shooter/Roguelike from Striking Distance Studios, the Krafton studio which previously made The Calisto Protocol. The studio is making this as an indie'ish side-project while it also spins up its next major project. No platforms are announced, the project is still be in experimental development phases but a lot of the gameplay concepts appear to be worked out already and it has its own art style.

This is actually connected to Callisto, as it is set in Black Iron Prison. (...so is it connected to PUBG or not?)

Last year, a small group of us began working on a passion project that was born out of our obsession with easy to pick up and play but fun to master roguelikes. We love the world we created for The Callisto Protocol and want to keep playing in that sandbox – and Black Iron Prison is the perfect future-punk playground for the team’s vision.

(*I didn't see this posted elsewhere? Lock if new, but somehow this slipped by ThickThighs and other frequent posters...)

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
bird tennis GIF by Wimbledon

Hugare

Going from Callisto production values to this

200.gif

You just know that executives told them "welp, that game cost trucks of money and it was a huge bomb. So now you have 2 cents to make a game that will generate some profit"

Passion project my ass, this is made by committee

I would love a sequel for Callisto, but a huge part of that team left (including Glen) and they wont be trusted with a big budget anytime soon. Sadly.

Last edited:

200.gif

You just know that executives told them "welp, that game cost trucks of money and it was a huge bomb. So now you have 2 cents to make a game that will generate some profit"

I would love a sequel for Callisto, but a huge part of that team left (including Glen) and they wont be trusted with a big budget anytime soon. Sadly.
In the video they directly state that this game was made(by a smaller team) while they’re working on their next AAA title.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

200.gif

They should have played it safe with the gameplay and even let the game cook longer. Glen, disappoints me.

IAmRei

reminds me to X-Men game which i like: X-Men Legends 2, i dont recall how many hours i was in when I was younger at the time.
I have fonds with arcade-ey games like this

Hugare

In the video they directly state that this game was made(by a smaller team) while they’re working on their next AAA title.
Yeah, but I'm not hopeful that they will have real AAA budget after Callisto

And many people left the studio, including the studio head, Glen Schofield (the guy who wrote and did all the worldbuilding in Callisto)

So the studio is more of a husk of what it used to be and maybe the talent isnt there anymore

They should have played it safe with the gameplay and even let the game cook longer. Glen, disappoints me.

I love it for what it is

Whole media went hard on the game due to that crunch news and decided to create a narrative that the game would suck, and people bought it

I know many people that played the game when it was included on PS+ and loved it, but the damage was already done

It plays and looks like no other game out there. It bombed, but I'm glad that it exists in a world where almost no company gives AAA budget to new IPs and everything is so safe

Last edited:
Yeah, but I'm not hopeful that they will have real AAA budget after Callisto

And many people left the studio, including the studio head, Glen Schofield (the guy who wrote and did all the worldbuilding in Callisto)

So the studio is more of a husk of what it used to be and maybe the talent isnt there anymore
Will you play project birdseye if it’s good?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Promising, but looks a bit too much like Ruiner. Which had serious issues.

Ruiner was a top-down, story-driven RPG, this is an arcade Rogue-lite action game.
What "serious issues" did Ruiner have ? It was a simple enough game and it played well, also, it had zero technical problems when i played it on the XSX ('bout 2 years ago).

Anyway - and this is my personal opinion obviously - but the comic-book style never did it for me then an it sure doesn't do it for me now, it looks...tacky/cheap.

PS : I thought that Striking distance was disbanded after the flop that was Calisto Protocol ?
Looking forward to their next AAA game, there's lots of potential there if they took their lesson(s) and player feedback to heart.

WitchHunter

Banned
Ruiner was a top-down, story-driven RPG, this is an arcade Rogue-lite action game.
What "serious issues" did Ruiner have ? It was a simple enough game and it played well, also, it had zero technical problems when i played it on the XSX ('bout 2 years ago).

Anyway - and this is my personal opinion obviously - but the comic-book style never did it for me then an it sure doesn't do it for me now, it looks...tacky/cheap.

PS : I thought that Striking distance was disbanded after the flop that was Calisto Protocol ?
Looking forward to their next AAA game, there's lots of potential there if they took their lesson(s) and player feedback to heart.
Nonono. Ruiner was not an rpg, it was an action shooter arcade game with clunky controls and repetitive gameplay. Nothing more nothing less.

Evil Smurf King

Neo Member
Looks good and the soundtrack is cool, but... I don´t know, doesn't seem to play well or fast or even fluidly. Love me some roguelikes lately... So I hope it turns out great.

Top Bottom