• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto talks Wiimakes (Nintendo Dream interview)

Gigglepoo

D3VI0US said:
I'd rather them spend time on actual good retro games, not the crap that most Nintendo GC games were.

This is the kind of trolling that really puts a damper on a person's day. Couldn't you have just stayed out?

Anyway, I'm glad there's a speaker in the Wiimote. When I was playing the plane demo at E3, I was doing the "Vroom" "Fwash!" noises.

Hmm, this interview seems a little...I dunno, fake? Post a scan even if it's in japanese because some of what was said seems very un Miyamoto like. I mean, for one, he's never called the remote the wiimote then he said " Zelda's fans aren't expecting polish" which I don't think he'd ever say

ethelred

Zoramon089 said:
Hmm, this interview seems a little...I dunno, fake? Post a scan even if it's in japanese because some of what was said seems very un Miyamoto like. I mean, for one, he's never called the remote the wiimote then he said " Zelda's fans aren't expecting polish" which I don't think he'd ever say

Uh... I guess you really are new here.

Jonnyram is very reliable and would not make up an interview. It's legitimate. He translated an interview from a Japanese magazine.

D3VI0US

Gigglepoo said:
This is the kind of trolling that really puts a damper on a person's day. Couldn't you have just stayed out?

So I should be excited about Nintendo coming up with this great new control scheme and then retrofitting old games so they can rehash rather than spending time on new content.

Gigglepoo

ethelred said:
Uh... I guess you really are new here.

Jonnyram is very reliable and would not make up an interview. It's legitimate. He translated an interview from a Japanese magazine.

Though JR did provide his own spin on the translation. Shigs didn't say "Wiimake" for instance. The information is what is important.

D3VI0US said:
So I should be excited about Nintendo coming up with this great new control scheme and then retrofitting old games so they can rehash rather than spending time on new content.

D3VI0US said:
not the crap that most Nintendo GC games were.

You needlessly insulted the entire Gamecube library.

D3VI0US said:
I'd rather them spend time on actual good retro games, not the crap that most Nintendo GC games were.

Clearly you don't mind republishing old games, judging from the first half of your sentence. Then you went out of your way to post something inflammatory to go with it. Why even post that?

Furthermore, does anyone actually think that these sorts of projects would actually take any significant amount of development time and budget away from new games? It's not like Nintendo has minimal first party development resources.

NotWii

Banned
ruby_onix said:
Are you saying you want this...

resident-evil-4-20041008045055794.jpg

...with anamorphic widescreen, all the extra missions, no missing trees or barrels, cutscenes that aren't FMV of GameCube renderings, and some tacked-on Wiimote pointer functionality?
There's only like 3 FMV files on the RE4 discs.
The Intro, one of the cut scenes (possibly the Mike Helicopter one) and the ending.
Everything else is realtime.

masud

Banned
Chris Remo said:

Furthermore, does anyone actually think that these sorts of projects would actually take any significant amount of development time and budget away from new games? It's not like Nintendo has minimal first party development resources.

Yeah let's get real here Nintendo is a huge company. This wouldn't affect the development of new games at all.

ethelred

D3VI0US said:

But again, how much did you bitch when other companies, like Konami, Capcom, Tecmo, or Square Enix release these kind of director's cuts? I just see what Miyamoto is describing as fairly analogous to those -- slight enhancements of solid existing games that offer new content or new ways to play to the player. If they add new control schemes, that's more new content than the standard director's cut addition of new difficulty modes. And if they take advantage of the built in wifi or WiiConnect 24 to add online play or downloadable content to the director's cut games, then that's even better.

I don't get why it's something to complain about given how standard it is within the industry, and that every other company gets to do it with a free pass. It's good for the Wii in the sense that it'll mean more content for Wii, it'll give lots of people who passed on the GameCube an opportunity to get games they didn't get before, it'll give some games a new opportunity to see a US release if they weren't localized before, and some games could genuinely benefit from the improved controls or online functionality.

Chris Remo said:

Clearly you don't mind republishing old games, judging from the first half of your sentence. Then you went out of your way to post something inflammatory to go with it. Why even post that?

Yeah. I doubt it'd be a drain on the company's resources at all -- they could probably get a single team do handle a huge number of them pretty quickly and without impacting the development of any original games.

I have the feeling they were going to do this anyways, because the Wiimote was going to be a GameCube add-on. So I'd imagine they'd release like Player's Choice titles at $20-30 and be like "Now with new enhanced control!"

Jonnyram

Having read these comments from Miyamoto, it's pretty obvious what's happened to all the GC games Nintendo had planned to release. I guess it's pretty much over for GC now. I expect Zelda will be the last release and that will see the launch of Wii - kind of a cool transition really.

As for control remarks. I don't think he's implying that all wiimakes will have new control for wiimote at all, but it's certainly something they can consider. Luigi's Mansion would feel pretty natural with a torch in one hand and movement in the other. The main appeal is just a base to rerelease GC games, should the Wii explode, since a lot of people won't think about looking on GC shelves for classics they've never played before, and the 2nd hand situation will also mean a lack of cash for developers. It almost sounds like they're encouraging third parties to take advantage of the situation so they can make cash to fund new projects.

Jonnyram said:
Having read these comments from Miyamoto, it's pretty obvious what's happened to all the GC games Nintendo had planned to release. I guess it's pretty much over for GC now. I expect Zelda will be the last release and that will see the launch of Wii - kind of a cool transition really.

As for control remarks. I don't think he's implying that all wiimakes will have new control for wiimote at all, but it's certainly something they can consider. Luigi's Mansion would feel pretty natural with a torch in one hand and movement in the other. The main appeal is just a base to rerelease GC games, should the Wii explode, since a lot of people won't think about looking on GC shelves for classics they've never played before, and the 2nd hand situation will also mean a lack of cash for developers. It almost sounds like they're encouraging third parties to take advantage of the situation so they can make cash to fund new projects.
That would be fine with me. We've been doing that for movies, music, and even in some respects books for a long time now. I wish all publishers would do stuff like this, regardless of platform.

ethelred

Jonnyram said:
Homeland would be perfect for this. Especially using WiiConnect24 to setup a server. Someone needs to tell Chunsoft to make it so.

Yeah, I've wanted to see Homeland on Wii for a while, particularly since WiiConnect24's announcement. It would fit the game perfectly.

Jonnyram said:

Does he give any indications about Super Paper Mario and DK: Bongo Blast, or hint that those are Wii exclusive now (I fully expect these for Wii at this point, but it'd be nice to have some more solid indications from Nintendo)? Or, does he mention or hint about any other projects/games, other than the ones you mentioned in the OP?

Jonnyram said:

Yeah, that's very cool. It's definitely a good idea. Like I said, I'd like seeing something like this for FE: POR. A budget release of POR right before the sequel's release would be a great way to get some more sales for the game and segue people into the sequel. And there are so many people who never played a lot of the GameCube's good games that rereleases like that would be a good opportunity (kinda goes in tandem with the Virtual Console -- VC for NES, SNES, N64, and Wiimakes/BC for GCN games).

Jonnyram said:

Sounds like a cool concept to me, would allow Developers and Nintendo to make more money from games already released, what with this and the VC, the Wii may as well be an ATM for NIntendo.

ethelred said:
Does he give any indications about Super Paper Mario and DK: Bongo Blast, or hint that those are Wii exclusive now (I fully expect these for Wii at this point, but it'd be nice to have some more solid indications from Nintendo)? Or, does he mention or hint about any other projects/games, other than the ones you mentioned in the OP?
I'd be very surprised if DK:BB was moved. Nintendo would have to make a new peripheral for it, and I doubt it would sell as well as it would on GameCube, where there's the advantage of having an existing install base for that peripheral.

Chris Remo said:
I'd be very surprised if DK:BB was moved. Nintendo would have to make a new peripheral for it, and I doubt it would sell as well as it would on GameCube, where there's the advantage of having an existing install base for that peripheral.
The Wii has GCN controller ports, why on Earth would they need to make a new peripheral?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chris Remo said:

You can use the DK Drums on Wii too.

D3VI0US

So should I be singing the praises of mediocre games like WW, Sunshine, and Assault? Not to mention that since all these titles are BC they could just make it so they recognize Wii and interpret the inputs as they would translate to GC inputs, I don't see the need for a Wiimake but hey they can't even get those GC controller ports working with TP on Wii so who knows. Anyways if you don't think Nintendo big franchise first party efforts on Wii did take a substantial hit other than Smash Bros you really need to take off the goggles.

CraigMcD

Wii said:
There's only like 3 FMV files on the RE4 discs.
The Intro, one of the cut scenes (possibly the Mike Helicopter one) and the ending.
Everything else is realtime.

I think he was referring to the PS2 version.

WordAssassin said:
The Wii has GCN controller ports, why on Earth would they need to make a new peripheral?

I guess, but I don't think it would be the best idea to release a Wii game that requires a GCN accessory. What would be the point of releasing it on Wii, since the GCN game could just be played on it anyway? Though there will be Wii games that use GCN-like controls, they'll also be playable with the classic controller. DK doesn't really apply there.

EDIT: Plus, it would lock out all the people that already have the bongos for GCN. That would be really dumb.

D3VI0US said:
So should I be singing the praises of mediocre games like WW, Sunshine, and Assault?
Nobody's asking you to sing any praises of any specific games.

Not to mention that since all these titles are BC they could just make it so they recognize Wii and interpret the inputs as they would translate to GC inputs, I don't see the need for a Wiimake but hey they can't even get those GC controller ports working with TP on Wii so who knows. Anyways if you don't think Nintendo big franchise first party efforts on Wii did take a substantial hit other than Smash Bros you really need to take off the goggles.
Why are you still posting in this thread?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
i'd rather he just made new titles/sequels rather than wasting time sticking wiimote controls on games designed for the GC controller in mind

PkunkFury

D3VI0US said:
Not to mention that since all these titles are BC they could just make it so they recognize Wii and interpret the inputs as they would translate to GC inputs, I don't see the need for a Wiimake but hey they can't even get those GC controller ports working with TP on Wii so who knows. Anyways if you don't think Nintendo big franchise first party efforts on Wii did take a substantial hit other than Smash Bros you really need to take off the goggles.

If you think mapping the wiimote to existing GC games without recoding anything would work, you really need to take off the stupid. And how have first pary efforts on Wii taken a hit? they aren't even out yet. Other than Smash Brothers? Mario, Zelda, and Metroid look much farther along than SSBB

Nintendo may or may not repackage the old GC games with some added bonuses like online content, Wii controls, better graphics, etc. Why is this so bad? The games will likely sell for 20 bucks, replacing the GC copies. Consumers win because they get new content for a decent price; those who never played the games will have an extra reason to give them a try, and those who have played them can choose to buy their favorites for the new spin or pass on those they didn't like. Developers win because used sales on the GC version of each game will be considerably cut, and the Wiirelease will spark interest in old titles. And retail wins because it makes it even easier to kill off GC shelf space when the best GC games are available in a WiiGC line.

I could see a reason to bitch if the Wii wasn't 100% backward compatible as this would feel like Nintendo forcing people to rebuy content. However, that's not the case, and any games that relase this way are entirely optional purchases (assuming they are even created). Why cry about it? At least wait until we have some real infromation about a relaese that you can nitpick

Chris Remo said:
I guess, but I don't think it would be the best idea to release a Wii game that requires a GCN accessory. What would be the point of releasing it on Wii, since the GCN game could just be played on it anyway? Though there will be Wii games that use GCN-like controls, they'll also be playable with the classic controller. DK doesn't really apply there.

EDIT: Plus, it would lock out all the people that already have the bongos for GCN. That would be really dumb.
What are you talking about? If they just keep selling the bongos what is the problem? There are ports on the top of the Wii for controllers. You can either plug things into the Wiimote or the Wii itself. If I want to play Donkey Konga in 2 years but I can't buy a Cube, I can still buy the game and the bongos and play it on the Wii. If Nintendo makes Donkey Konga 5 for the Wii, they can continue to sell the bongos as they do now. They could even pack in DK5 with the bongos, just like they do now.

And how would it lock out the people who already have bongos? I have the bongos and Jungle Beat and I'm fully going to play them on the Wii.

Seriously I've had this conversation before, I do not know what the deal is. If Nintendo and third parties are going to release games that work with standard GameCube controllers for the Wii, I see absolutely no problem with them continuing support for a prehipheral that's already available AND compatable with their next system. They have to do nothing but make a new box and continue selling them. If I already have one from the GC-era, fine. If I don't, then I'll buy one.

D3VI0US

The article doesn't say anything about new content but regardless of how little of a manpower hit it would be I'd rather have them spend it on new content. As great as GC Mario Golf would be with Wii controls or Tennis or Baseball, I'd rather them work on new version that use WiFi and the added features and horsepower of Wii however negligible that last improvement will be, rehashing Cube games seems so half assed.

I don't know about retooling Bongo Blast. But at this point -- sigh -- it's probably better if they release Super Paper Mario, at least, on Wii. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

D3VI0US said:
The article doesn't say anything about new content but regardless of how little of a manpower hit it would be I'd rather have them spend it on new content. As great as GC Mario Golf would be with Wii controls or Tennis or Baseball, I'd rather them work on new version that use WiFi and the added features and horsepower of Wii however negligible that last improvement will be, rehashing Cube games seems so half assed.

rehashing cube hardware is half assed to...

DK: Bongo Blast will probably be reworked entirely to play without the bongos period and release as a standalone Wii title.

The Wiimote could be used to move/tilt Donkey Kong, moving the controller down can speed DK up, moving it up can slow him down.

While the bongo stuff is interesting, it's also a pretty big sales limiter. The bongo control was neat on the GC because it was so different from the standard controller, but the Wii already has a different/new way to play with it's standard controller already.

Super Paper Mario should be able to be reworked as a Wii title for this holiday/winter shopping season in both North America and Japan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
imastalker co. said:
what would Amir0x do if they released Pikmin 2 with some un-thought of super control scheme using the wiimote, and released it for $20?

Become even more insufferable.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I would prefer a brand new addition, but another release of RE4 and MGS3 with Wii controls would be hard to pass up. As far as VC games go, Sin and Punishment would be a perfect fit to as well. Didn't Treasure say they would be making a sequel for Wii?

I think the main reason they're doing this is because they can put NES, SNES, and N64 software on the virtual console for download, but downloading GCN games is probably not as feasible (at least initially).

So this is a way for Nintendo to offer their more popular GCN back catalog for say $20 a pop to those who are looking for those games. It would be nice if they went back and added say online play to some of those older games as well (Mario Kart: Double Dash for instance). I want a new F-Zero Wii though.

I actually wouldn't mind Pac-Man VS. with wireless play via a DS (not GBA or wires please), but that could be accomplished as a WiFi download. No need for a full re-release on that. Hopefully Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack) is also availible on the WiFi service.

Polari

I think Bongo Blast will still go to the Gamecube. It looks shit and the remote won't bring anything to it anyway.

Looks like Gamecube owners are going to have to concede Super Paper Mario though. :(

_bla_

They should make these Wiimakes downloadable. Just download a few executables and then insert your original gamecube game disc and play the gamecube game with Wiimote controll and 6ßfps instead of 30fps, etc.

I believe Bongo Blast has been taken off GCN release lists as well.

I'm not really crazy about the game, but "Donkey Kong Wiimote Racing" probably is an easy 1 million (worldwide) in sales in the bank by moving the game from the GC to the Wii and dumping the conga requirement. On GCN you're looking at maybe 150,000 sales worldwide.

Especailly if there's no Mario Kart Wii or Donkey Kong Wii ready for the Wii in the first year ... it kinda kills two birds with one stone, temporarily anyway.

Maybe the move to the Wii could give the game a little more visual polish as well, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
soundwave05 said:
I believe Bongo Blast has been taken off GCN release lists as well.

I'm not really crazy about the game, but "Donkey Kong Wiimote Racing" probably is an easy 1 million (worldwide) in sales in the bank by moving the game from the GC to the Wii and dumping the conga requirement. On GCN you're looking at maybe 150,000 sales worldwide.

Especailly if there's no Mario Kart Wii or Donkey Kong Wii ready for the Wii in the first year ... it kinda kills two birds with one stone, temporarily anyway.

Maybe the move to the Wii could give the game a little more visual polish as well, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

A "Best of Mario Kart" compilation would be cool. They could add in some tracks from the DS version and that arcade game. Throw in online play and it will sell boatloads.

Edit - I wasn't to impressed with the bongo GC DK games. The idea would be cool for some minigames though. I'd rather see a 2D DK Country or DK64 type game. Barrel Shooting and Wiimote=instant fun!

They really should do a "Mario Kart All-Stars" with online play and the SNES/N64/GC/GBA/DS games all redone on the Wii visually with online play.

They could sell it as a standalone disc and offer the seperate games through Nintendo WiFi.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
soundwave05 said:
They really should do a "Mario Kart All-Stars" with online play and the SNES/N64/GC/GBA/DS games all redone on the Wii visually with online play.

They could sell it as a standalone disc and offer the seperate games through Nintendo WiFi.

You mean extra tracks? It's kind of funny how these things come full circle, but this is kind of the idea Nintendo had way back when with the N64DD. How cool would it be to finally see some of those ideas finally come to life? IIRC F-Zero was one of the titles they had an expansion pack for. Maybe they'll finally release that stuff on the VC.

soundwave05 said:
DK: Bongo Blast will probably be reworked entirely to play without the bongos period and release as a standalone Wii title.

The Wiimote could be used to move/tilt Donkey Kong, moving the controller down can speed DK up, moving it up can slow him down.

While the bongo stuff is interesting, it's also a pretty big sales limiter. The bongo control was neat on the GC because it was so different from the standard controller, but the Wii already has a different/new way to play with it's standard controller already.

Super Paper Mario should be able to be reworked as a Wii title for this holiday/winter shopping season in both North America and Japan.
I would think that instead of doing that, they'd keep with the theme and have you either "bang" the Wiimote and the Nunchuck up and down, or have the player use two Wiimotes. Either way would emulate drumsticks banging a drum, which is the entire point of the gameplay.

MadOdorMachine said:
You mean extra tracks? It's kind of funny how these things come full circle, but this is kind of the idea Nintendo had way back when with the N64DD. How cool would it be to finally see some of those ideas finally come to life? IIRC F-Zero was one of the titles they had an expansion pack for. Maybe they'll finally release that stuff on the VC.

I'd be fine with just all the tracks from the existing games.

Basically the same thing as what Super Mario All-Stars was to the NES Marios, with a unified upgraded graphics engine for each game. And online play added to each title.

Top Bottom