• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto talks Wiimakes (Nintendo Dream interview)

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I want RE4 with wiimote and output at 720i (cube was less)

Also, I want Four Swords ported with Wi-Fi enabled (best multiplayer game ever).

And Metroid Prime & Echoes ported!

And Wind Waker wiimake and expanded!

Mario Sunshine could be wimmaked too. Could be more fun and interesting :)

Also... Lost Kingdoms 1&2. I like those games and with the Wiimote could be a lot more fun.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
jarosh said:
sounds like an interesting resolution
i want re4 wiimake iiiiin... 578f

how is it? 720P? 640x480 Progressive? ****, I don't know about those shit :cryes:

Marionette is different from Stage Debut/Mario Artist.

It's basically from what I understand intended to be a puppetry game, since Mr. Miyamoto apparently really like marionette puppets.

"Marionette" was on a release list that Nintendo accidentally released during E3 2001 IIRC.

"100 Marios" (aka Mario 128) was also on that same list.

It's possible "Marionette" may have been the game that was the precursor to the development of the Wiimote itself, as such a title would almost assuredly require a controller similar to the Wiimote (and Nintendo also invested in a company called Gyration in 2001 as well).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Marionette is different from Stage Debut/Mario Artist.

I don't think so. It was believed before that Marionette moved to Stage Debut. I think the interview is confusing because of the translation.

It's basically from what I understand intended to be a puppetry game, since Mr. Miyamoto apparently really like marionette puppets.

The idea was it to be like Talent Maker / Stage Debut. Puppets in a sandbox game.

Perhaps some elements were carried over, but I think Marionette is/was a different game.

Just as some elements of the Mario 128 demo were carried over into Pikmin, but that doesn't mean Pikmin = Mario 128.

You'll recall at one time Mr. Iwata stated there were great new games coming for the GCN that would utilize a new accessorie. I think this was Marionette + gyro controller, which eventually became the Wii controller.

Besides I don't ever remember Nintendo demoing or saying Stage Debut was a puppetry type of game. All it ever was basically was a continuation of the Mario Artist series on the 64DD.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I dunno, I'm a bit sceptic about this. Feels cheap to get ports of essentially the same games when you got next-gen hardware and all. Wait sorry...forget the "next-gen" part. :p
Still, it feels like he's indicating a will to semi-port GC games to Wii in a more systematic fashion than the occasional special editions we see on consoles nowadays.

I guess it's cool though, if it doesn't require much in terms of resources and the games are very cheap when released. Although I'm a bit worried this could motivate 3rd parties to go lazy and just add wii controls to their old gc games to make a quick buck and throw the "innovation" part out the window, much in the same way they treat the DS (outside Japan). I mean, as I see it...what I want out of the Wii isn't wii controls tacked onto old and proven games that weren't designed for the wiimote in the first place.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
remake of GC games?!!! first, they shouldn't remake MPrime & Echoes until their promised HD console(imagine!) and second, F-Zero WX, F-Zero WX, F-Zero WX, F-Zero WX, F-Zero WX!!!!

[/wish post]

Marionette? Describing any Miyamoto game (animals fighting in space ships, plumber fighting mushrooms and dinosaurs to save a princess, huge ape beating up stuff and fighting crocodiles) would sound retarded but the games are fun and play well.

I'm a bit worried this could motivate 3rd parties to go lazy and just add wii controls to their old gc games to make a quick buck and throw the "innovation" part out the window

:lol :lol Not many for them to port so that would last them maybe six months.

I think that the idea behind re-releasing some Gamecube content would be to create another revenue stream and also bolster the library obviously, these games are also going to be available, in Nintendos minds, to a much wider demographic then the Gamecube had.

I think its a great idea, they could label these games, ala BIT GENERATIONS/TOUCH GENERATIONS, perhaps MINIS or WiiPOWER, and actually release them on the small cube discs at a retail price of like $24.95 or something.

Im imagining that the types of games they would be considering would be

ROGUE SQUADRON 2 + 3
GEIST
BATTALION WARS
PIKMIN 1 + 2
LUIGIS MANSION
DONKEY KONGA
STARFOX ASSAULT
WAVERACE

and any other game that COULD benefit from wii controls.

CaVaYeRo

Miya on Marionette:

"And as for Marionette, it is still under development. It is not a Mario game, but an actual Marionette game utilizing a puppet. I am hoping to make something both complicated and simple at the same time, which is kind of a contradiction. But already we are experimenting. And once again, sometime in the future we may be able to show you something on it."

http://cube.ign.com/articles/097/097690p1.html

Gigglepoo

D3VI0US said:
Anyways if you don't think Nintendo big franchise first party efforts on Wii did take a substantial hit other than Smash Bros you really need to take off the goggles.

You can't even get this right. Smash Bros isn't a first party title. Now please stop trolling.

apujanata

soundwave05 said:
I actually wouldn't mind Pac-Man VS. with wireless play via a DS (not GBA or wires please), but that could be accomplished as a WiFi download. No need for a full re-release on that. Hopefully Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack) is also availible on the WiFi service.

Me too. I enjoy playing Pac-Man VS. with my son and wife, but the GCN-GBA wire is getting in the way (since it is so short). I can see myself buying a $10 or $20 Pac-man VS. for DSL & Wii (since I already have 2 DS + 1 DSL).

ziran

this sounds like it will help to fill any gaps in wii's schedule, which could be very effective if the console is a big success in japan.

like many have said, i think this would take small resources and i'd guess it's already happened to the first party titles and is in the fine tuning stage.

some games would definitely benefit. mario sunshine springs to mind. i'm not a fan of the game but i think having a virtual pointer for the water gun would definitely improve the controls. luigi's mansion and pikmin also seem natural fits.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pikmin 3. Wii Remixes. Those are the main two i would think of. I can't see Sunshine or Wind Waker making it over anytime soon with TP and Galaxy taking center stage in 06/07.

Ponn

Banned
:lol Oh Nintendo, you always crack me up.

What article is REALLY saying.

Miyamoto: Yea, since the Wii is basically a Gamecube we thought why not port over all these Gamecube games and just slap Wiimote controls on them. After all, Nintendo fans will buy anything we put out and we make more money. Even better we don't have to wait 10 years for the Gamecube games to become "classic titles" to milk them. INNOVATION!

seriously, if this is true **** you Nintendo. You had me actually believe you were going to do something cool with this controller and not just slap the control on last gen games.

ethelred

Ponn01 said:

seriously, if this is true **** you Nintendo. You had me actually believe you were going to do something cool with this controller and not just slap the control on last gen games.

Oh, stop ****ing drama queening. It's not like this will consume anything close to serious or noteworthy developmental resources, and it's not like they're not actually going to make new games for the system -- in fact, given that they've already announced, oh, twenty or so, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they will be developing new games and not just slapping the controller on old games.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Every other industry makes catalogue titles freely available through rereleases and reprintings on new formats. Only releasing things once, on one system, is kind of retarded when you think about it, and really limits the potential audience for some great games.

What if you had to comb used shops to find a VHS copy of Schindler's List, because it never came out on DVD? What if the only way to own AC/DC albums was by buying 8-tracks or records through eBay?

A good product for which there is interest should be made available new through retail channels indefinitely. The current system of (maybe) a couple printings and then you have to go hunting through used bins is really a disservice to the customer and the industry.

Ponn01 said:

This whole post was just a joke, right?

Ponn

Banned
Mr. TV Goggles said:
This whole post was just a joke, right?

Which part? Nintendo fans buying anything or Nintendo milking barely 4 to 1 year old properties? Seriously, no time or energy should be put into this venture. After two generations of letdown Nintendo should be in full "put up or shut up" mode and milking old gamecube games is not it.

It doesn't matter anyways, I read the thread more closely after I posted and par for the course Nintendo fans are already spinning and convincing themselves how cool the idea is eating it up so reason is thrown out the window yet again. If you don't want ports of current gen games or quick cash ins with the wiimote control just thrown on then don't send any message to developers that you're doing the same thing and actually excited about doing it.

ethelred

Ponn01 said:
Which part? Nintendo fans buying anything or Nintendo milking barely 4 to 1 year old properties? Seriously, no time or energy should be put into this venture. After two generations of letdown Nintendo should be in full "put up or shut up" mode and milking old gamecube games is not it.

It doesn't matter anyways, I read the thread more closely after I posted and par for the course Nintendo fans are already spinning and convincing themselves how cool the idea is eating it up so reason is thrown out the window yet again. If you don't want ports of current gen games or quick cash ins with the wiimote control just thrown on then don't send any message to developers that you're doing the same thing and actually excited about doing it.

Galactic.gif

Why do I grow less enthusiastic with each interview? Maybe the high from E3 is just about dead now or possibly I'm craving some Xbox 360 games at the moment. Hopefully that will change before launch.

cvxfreak

Nintendo could always make new prints of their GC games. Just put them in new packaging emphasizing playback on the Wii, and sell for a low price.

Gigglepoo

cvxfreak said:
Nintendo could always make new prints of their GC games. Just put them in new packaging emphasizing playback on the Wii, and sell for a low price.

That's pretty much what they are doing.

I guess this isn't really for us, though. I already played every relevant GC game so I'm not likely to rebuy them with new functionality. But for the 6 billion people who never touched the system, they may find a gem or two they never knew about. It's fine with me if they tweak some classics for a new audience. As long as they make Super Mario Kart: Online I will be happy.

I'm bumping this old thread in hopes that someone out there has an update on this project/rumor.

This thread popped into my head today for nor apparent reason. Does anyone have an update of any kind?

besada

Banned
Operations said:
How the hell did he arrive at that conclusion?

Because everyone gobbled up the GC-level Zelda on the Wii without complaint. If gamers buy games with weak graphics, developers will develop games with weak graphics because it's easier and cheaper.

besada said:
Because everyone gobbled up the GC-level Zelda on the Wii without complaint. If gamers buy games with weak graphics, developers will develop games with weak graphics because it's easier and cheaper.

and as we've all learned, good games all have to have top of the line graphics

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
WTF at the bump. I thought he just confirmed the next Zelda was going to be on the Cube as well again. :lol

Dascu

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
I'm bumping this old thread in hopes that someone out there has an update on this project/rumor.

This thread popped into my head today for nor apparent reason. Does anyone have an update of any kind?
RE4 Wii edition, perhaps?

Marionette: Moved to Wii. Still in development.

In hindsight I should have been more specific about the rumor I wanted more details about.

What has come of this idea/concept? I hear rumblings every now and then from outside sources (other than GAF) but it's basically the equivelant of old ladies at a knitting circle. Has this concept been thrown to indie devs instead? Are we going to see a wii hash of "Movies" but with puppet controls?

[Nintex]

Scopebob Sniperpants said:

I wonder how many sites/blogs wich use GAF as a source will have this on their frontpage today:lol

besada

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
and as we've all learned, good games all have to have top of the line graphics

Wow. I completely didn't say that. But games with good graphics, which some people want, do have to have good graphics. A=A.

It's all sort of pointless as I had missed the date of the thread (thanks threadbumper!) and was responding to a pre-Wii release quote as if it were a post-Wii release quote implying the NEXT Zelda would look like a GC Zelda.

Drakken

BorkBork said:
WTF at the bump. I thought he just confirmed the next Zelda was going to be on the Cube as well again. :lol

Heh, me too. I didn't realize that this was from last year until about post #70. :lol

I read through most of the first page before realizing this was from 2006.

That said, where's my Stage Debut (formerly Mario Artist: Talent Studio, a 3d movie maker)? They could call it something like Wii Movies, let you put Mii's in it and put movies online. Why don't they ever talk about it?!

Top Bottom