• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: The 'PS Vita Isn't A Very Strong Product'

The sad part is, Nintendo will see this as vindication for releasing inferior hardware.

Wii U with poo-poo processor and videocard incoming.

Patapwn

My point is, one of the biggest draws to 3DS is accessibility. The ability to easily play 2-8 players, in a game very well tailored for 2-8 players is a huge draw for me.

I'm actually asking if PSP/VITA can do that, or have good games setup for that? I always used to wonder what I'd play with friends on PSP, and I ask myself the same thing with VITA. What can 3 or 4 of my friends sit around and play on the damn thing? Local multiplayer is a big factor for me.

I don't see how multiplayer gaming compares cross-game chat.

I don't understand why you responded to my comment with a feature. It didn't really fit as a reply I expected. So I replied by naming a feature that the vita has, cross game chat. Does the 3ds have cross game chat?

As for accessibility, I don't see why one would view the 3ds as accessible but the vita as not. The vita has online... and some games support multiplayer while others are single player. If you want I'm sure you could get a group of friends together and play some vidiya games. So yes

smug

Banned
I found that a bit funny.
KuGsj.gif

He's right about it not being a powerful product though. It doesn't shamelessly hide itself in the Christmas gift for your children demographic while dragging out a couple of iterations of the same few games that their loyal fanbase chases on a fishing line for each of their consoles' lifespans and it doesn't even look like an Apple product.

Not that the Vita is actually worth a shit right now. Seems like they're making the same mistakes they did with the PSP. PSP was a great piece of hardware with not much going on, PS Vita is an awesome piece of hardware with not much going on. But smug Nintendo fans are smug.

Did you just quote me son? ;)

The sad part is, Nintendo will see this as vindication for releasing inferior hardware.

Honestly though...can you blame them?

If it works(Wii, DS and 3DS(to an extent)), then why not?

Nintendo is in a great spot because they know at the very least they have a very dedicated fanbase that has stuck it out with them and that they have franchises (note the plural) that can and will sell systems.

So even when they don't sell gangbusters they will sell nicely.

That being said, I am a bit let down if the WiiU is basically a ps3 with a tablet..yeah but when the next Smash or Mario releases...

I'm there.

Patapwn

I know it had more than that. My favourite PSP games are Ghost and Goblins, Castlevania and Prinny.
But if i vastly prefer these types of games, i'm better off with the system that has ALOT more of them to choose from, right?

That's fine. I was critiquing your misrepresentation of psp being the half ass 'cinematic experience' player that seems to get thrown around so much. The psp has many great games of all kinds but the ds was a software monster no doubt. And I can see why some would prefer having the system with the mountain of software over the one with the hill of software. Plus Nintendo does have the iconic brand names behind them

Calling Mario 3D a console port is just... no. Sorry but like all the previous portable Mario games besides 64DS, Mario3D is obviously designed for portable gaming. It has smaller and more focused stages and like Mario Kart, Mario platformers just seem to work just as well on the small screen.

The other games you mention are console-like experiences, yes. But then again, i never said the DS and 3DS didnt also have those types of games ;)

Calling Mario3d is no more just... no than calling Chrisis Core a console port. In which it's fine. They both have traits pulled from their console brothers while being on a portable system. And going by your reaction to my statement, it's like your offended I make the parallel. What's so offensive about being a 'console port'? In regards to the age ol' psp = ps1.5 argument, I think there's a lot of pot calling the kettle black with the software jump from ds to 3ds.

As for Mario3D 'just working' on the small screen, isn't that more of an opinion? I don't see by which metric of deduction this conclusion was reached. It's like console games on portable systems = bad so any game I like must not be a console like title. You might say that mario3d is stage like with an emphasis on relatively short gameplay burst but guess what? So is Crisis Core.

I disagree. Many nintendo franchises adopt a more arcade, focused or gamey approach to how they play. Thats why Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Super Mario, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, Fire Emblem, etc, despite being on home systems, work just as well on handhelds.

Its not to say that the PSP GOW games, Resistance, Metal Gear, etc were not good. They were just not suited for the small screen.

Epic vistas, cinematic action sets, dramatic kills and the attempt to keep the look and feel of its home-console big brothers just makes no sense to me. The games sure dont play better for ignoring their portable home.

Again, this is opinion. And the method by which this opinion was reached seems to follow the logic I have stated above. Mix that with brand love and the nitendo goggles have been rose tinted. As for how something like GOW turned out, one could argue that the reason it didn't fit like they hoped has more to do with the systems lack of control features like... a second analog stick. I wonder how console games feel when given the opportunity to control with a second analog stick? That might even give them the ability to feel... portable!

I have an Iphone. It doesnt offer me what the DS can. Not even close.

And if you say the 3DS is the PSP, what is the Vita then?

I have an Iphone and it does me great. The service that apple has features many quality games. I feel like there's at least some level of 'smug' ness when saying the iphone isn't "even close." to the ds.

As for the vita, it has not come into itself yet. It's only just a baby! Give it some time. I think it's at least making strides with it's back touch and second A sticks. Suppose it's at least trying to change the way portable games are played

Patapwn

They both have thier specific advantages and disadvantages, e.g full BC and partial BC (though with improved screen), software types etc.

Ultimately the only raw fact you can use is sales, revenue, profit cost etc. All that other crap is worthless if it doesn't sell well and produce a reasonable amount of profit.

A strong or weak product is determined by that and only that, you can fit every gizmo under the sun on a product, if it doesn't sell make or have a reasonable margin, it's mostly worthless unless your planning for a trojan style (which Sony obviously is not).

PSVita IS a weak product because it's not selling particularily well now, we'll see if that changes in the future. Some for 3DS at launch though not to the same degree (brand also plays a lot in a products "strength").

I agree with everything you said.

trinest

I think the key thing in this thread is Miyamoto thinks splashing a few Mario titles onto the console has saved it. Seriously, its still a case of were are the games I've been waiting for, for it.

Tookay

Yeah man. Inferior hardware that's affordable to the mass market with powerful brands. What a horrible company.

I think the key thing in this thread is Miyamoto thinks splashing a few Mario titles onto the console has saved it. Seriously, its still a case of were are the games I've been waiting for, for it.
Do you think:

a) Japanese devs have abandoned the 3DS in favor of the Vita
b) Japanese devs have abandoned the 3DS in favor of iOS/Android
c) Japanese devs have said "Fuck it" and dropped out of handheld development altogether
d) some combination of the above

Games take time to make. I'm sure there will be various 3DS titles announced at E3. Same thing applies to the Vita even if it's more likely that projects could end up shifting from it to the 3DS than vice versa.

RagnarokX

Honestly though...can you blame them?

If it works(Wii, DS and 3DS(to an extent)), then why not?

Nintendo is in a great spot because they know at the very least they have a very dedicated fanbase that has stuck it out with them and that they have franchises (note the plural) that can and will sell systems.

So even when they don't sell gangbusters they will sell nicely.

That being said, I am a bit let down if the WiiU is basically a ps3 with a tablet..yeah but when the next Smash or Mario releases...

I'm there.

Wii is the only thing that was behind. Both DS and 3DS were leaps over Nintendo's previous handhelds. Sony does their own thing and it doesn't quite work out as well for them.

this is exactly how i feel about your posts though

oh okay, you were just port-begging in a dumb way, cool

i feel it's redundant to liken your posts here to said child's play but it's too late to stop now

You missed the post where I stated there is nothing on 3DS that makes it worth owning to me and that I'm more interested in classic Nintendo titles, anyways. Would I buy 3DS Kid Icarus on iOS? As a casual purchase at a price point far less than 3DS retail.

You missed the post where I stated there is nothing on 3DS that makes it worth owning to me and that I'm more interested in classic Nintendo titles, anyways. Would I buy 3DS Kid Icarus on iOS? As a casual purchase at a price point far less than 3DS retail.

Yeah, as if Nintendo wouldn't mind missing out on software royalties.

Not to mention, again, the lack of physical buttons.

Penguin

If Nintendo didn't make handhelds, wouldn't their resources just go to their console development?

Oh man, E3 time is here isn't it?

My prediction:

- Sony shows off a whole bunch of nothing for Vita as far as meaningful exclusives go
- "welp, that about does it for Vita I guess"
- "no no wait until tgs nobody expected shit at E3 because only Japanese developers make stuff for handhelds and they will be at tgs"
- the "_______ will save Vita" chalkboard gets trotted out and "TGS" is added to it
- much gnashing of teeth, etc.

Yagharek

Judging by their comments on 3DS to date, they seem to be likely to see it as not so much vindication, but rather as evidence to launch with games.

3DS and Vita both got off to poor starts. 3DS was at least rebooted thanks to a few big games. Vita hasnt got much in the pipeline yet worth getting excited about. I expect that will change come E3, or at least it better do.

Vinci

Danish
Miyamoto is a silly fucker.

I know. Why's he being so coy about it? He should just straight-out say, "That platform has no commercially meaningful titles on it. Therefore, it is spiraling deeper and deeper into a shit-encrusted toilet. Sayonara, bitches!"

He's right, software was unappealing for both Vita and 3DS launches. Biggest fuck up Sony did was with Gravity Rush. Pretty much the biggest Vita game that was shown pre-launch and it takes forever to release. Still doesn't come out for almost a fucking month and a half still....

Also, thread title is incredibly misleading as he says the same thing about 3DS as stated by others in the thread.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

What the hell is a "classic Nintendo titles" to you? 3DS has plenty of "classic Nintendo titles" like Kid Icarus, Zelda OOT, Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3D Land. Or do you mean Nintendo games that were made 20 years ago?

oh mr reporter, can you also ask these relevant questions as well?

what does Sony think of Xbox360?

what does MS think of PS Move?

what does Apple think of Android?

what does Honda think of Toyota?

what does Obama think of ROmney?

what does God think of Satan, and vice versa?

kthnxbye

What the hell is a "classic Nintendo titles" to you? 3DS has plenty of "classic Nintendo titles" like Kid Icarus, Zelda OOT, Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3D Land. Or do you mean Nintendo games that were made 20 years ago?

Before Nintendo sucked as in NES and SNES, and maybe Fzero X.

I would be happy to give Nintendo money for official versions of classics on iOS rather than have to resort to scummy, buggy emulation.

I understand their reason for staying exclusive to their hardware, but in time the mammoth smartphone and tablet user base along with their rapid technological advance will win.

NeoGohan

Banned

I would be happy to give Nintendo money for official versions of classics on iOS rather than have to resort to scummy, buggy emulation.

I understand their reason for staying exclusive to their hardware, but in time the mammoth smartphone and tablet user base along with their rapid technological advance will win.

i hope your dreams never come true...

A fanbase too incidental and fragmented to matter enough.

Besides, as long as smartphones and tablets remain touch only, dedicated handhelds have no reason to disappear.

kevm3

more like people don't want to pay $250 for a handheld. Vita has outstanding hardware for a handheld as well as one of the best launch libraries, so I don't get the 'no games' point. The problem with it is awful advertising, a high price point and the games are a bit expensive.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Thank you for showing us how we shouldn't take your posts seriously. Although your iOS posts in the past already did that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
He's absolutely right, but he's saying the same thing that everyone knows -- games sell hardware.

newsflash: Company executive says rival's handheld is "not very good"

Neogaf: SHOCKING
Except, he didn't say that. He just said it needs games and compared the situation with pre-price drop 3DS.

He's absolutely right, but he's saying the same thing that everyone knows -- games sell hardware.

Except, he didn't say that. He just said it needs games and compared the situation with pre-price drop 3DS.

Kind of. He skirts the price drop issue and just makes it about lack of software.

I'm still waiting for Gravity Rush and LBP to be out before I purchase the system. Both looked like they took advantage of what the system had to offer and could be system defining titles, and both should have been timed to be release titles along with Wipeout, imo. Not hating, I just honestly think that would have given the system stronger identity at release.

zroid

Banned
I'm torn right now about whether I will get a Wii U or Vita this year, as I can only afford one for now. I'll probably not make the decision until we see Vita's post-E3 lineup and Wii U's price and launch titles.

If I don't get a Wii U at launch, it will be the first time since the N64 that I won't buy a new Nintendo platform within the first month of its release.

theBishop

Banned
I'm still waiting for Gravity Rush and LBP to be out before I purchase the system. Both looked like they took advantage of what the system had to offer and could be system defining titles, and both should have been timed to be release titles along with Wipeout, imo. Not hating, I just honestly think that would have given the system stronger identity at release.

It's definitely annoying that Gravity Daze was essentially finished in time for launch and isn't coming out until June. I also think Sony missed an opportunity not having an online shooter available at launch. You can't really show off Vita's PS3-beating online functionality without some strong online games.

I bought a vita and a 3DS and I play the vita most days. I really like it, but I understand it isnt for everyone. I am still waiting for something on the 3DS to really grab me, but I am sure something will.

Top Bottom