• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mizuguchi does damage control on Lumines Live 'microtransactions': Next Gen SUCKS

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wario64 said:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/740/740214p1.html

IGN: What do you think people's reactions are going to be when they see the core game -- and all these additional packs? Are you worried that people will feel they're getting charged too much? Or that they're going to complain that all these packs should be put into one game?

Tetsuya Mizuguchi: (Long pause.)

Hilarious. :lol

Troidal

I dunno but there seems to be something more beyond than just "It's the wave of the future". Sounds like PR talk, even though he talks sensibly in this interview.

Either MS forced them to, or Q? wanted to do it anyhow, but we'll exactly never know...

My question is, do you unlock new skins when beating CPUs in VS CPU mode like the PSP version? Or do you only get new skins through advance packs, Madonna packs, etc? I'd hate to buy the CPU mode pack just to unlock more skins :/

SuperPac

So if they were really going for this "a la care is the future" thing, why didn't they mimic the iTunes CD model by putting multiple parts up at once and then offering a "complete" package for a slightly lower price than all of them would've been separately? Seems like they would have pissed off fewer people that way.

Jonnyram

My guess is that Mizuguchi is taking the analogy with music too far, and selling the base pack as an album, for an album price. The problem from our point of view is that the puzzles cost next to nothing to add... it's just designing a small 2 colour sprite for each one. Why should we not get that in the base pack?

I can understand charging for skins - that's the meat of the game - but charging for puzzle mode and mission mode stinks. When everything's added up, if it's more than the PSP version, it's shocking.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SolidSnakex said:
Lumines started off really well though. It was just after Lumines and Meteos when Q started gettign rocky.

Yeah, Lumines was great.

The effect of it's success on Mizuguchi and Q was not though. If this was Cluedo, it would be:

Lumines, in the boardroom, with the sales-chart

sammy

Odysseus said:
marioxblm.JPG

:lol :lol :lol :lol

This wouldn't be an issue if the final cost was equal to the original, but the final cost of buying 5 packs at 7 dollars each plus 15 dollars for Lumines... Plus you aren't even getting as much content for more money... I don't see how that is a good business model in terms of making consumers happy unless they don't realize that they are being screwed.

krypt0nian said:
Nah it rocks. Miz sucks.

This whole "premium downloads" malarky is directly tied in with next gen.

Premium downloads that should be part of the game in the first ****ing place: suck.

Ergo, next gen: sucks.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dragona Akehi said:
This whole "premium downloads" malarky is directly tied in with next gen.

Premium downloads that should be part of the game in the first ****ing place: suck.

Ergo, next gen: sucks.

Next up, Gran Turismo!

kevm3

I really hate this microtransactions business.

It also means devleopers can ship "incomplete" games and release the rest later as an expansion for 10 bucks.

For RPGs, this really concerns me. Instead of the current format of rpgs, which are like novels in structure, they may eventually turn into something more akin to comic books. What I mean by this is that instead of a full and complete story with a definite ending, rpgs may end up coming out as seemingly neverending scenarios and sketches. Aspects of the story may be compromised and we may constantly be left with cliffhangers so that developers can continue to release new episodes. Imagine RPGs being Dragon Ball Z-ized. It sucks.

Mar

Can anyone clear up how much the initial game is, and then how much the packs are? Because I actually don't think it's a bad idea. I mean, there are many many games that I've bought in my gaming history for full price, that I played for a few levels, realised it was crap, and then wished I only spent a third of the price on it.

So it's all down to the price in my opinion. As long as they are offering the original game for a small amount, and then the packs for even smaller amounts. I think it's a good idea in the long run.

However, I can see some negatives. If developers don't bother creating the extra content unless people are coughing up the cash (in other words, only if the game becomes popular), then there could quite possibly be a stifling of original content. There are many games I've beaten and loved that no one else has even heard of. If developers don't bother finishing a game because no one's buying the packs, we have a problem.

kevm3 said:
I really hate this microtransactions business.

It also means devleopers can ship "incomplete" games and release the rest later as an expansion for 10 bucks.

For RPGs, this really concerns me. Instead of the current format of rpgs, which are like novels in structure, they may eventually turn into something more akin to comic books. What I mean by this is that instead of a full and complete story with a definite ending, rpgs may end up coming out as seemingly neverending scenarios and sketches. Aspects of the story may be compromised and we may constantly be left with cliffhangers so that developers can continue to release new episodes. Imagine RPGs being Dragon Ball Z-ized. It sucks.

DING DING DING. WE HAVE WINNER.***

***YOU MUST DOWNLOAD 5000 POINTS WORTH OF SHIT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME FOR THE FIRST ****ING PLACE TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE.

Odysseus said:
we certainly can and will

DAMN RIGHT. WE DIDN'T BUY ****ING HORSE ARMOUR! THOSE ASSHATS DID AND THEY'RE RUINING GAMING FOR US. **** NON-GAMES, THIS SHIT IS WORSE.

Ok, enough allcaps for now.

kevm3

Mojovonio said:
dammit, there was a way to avoid this whole situation......

what was it...

OH YEAH!

DON'T BUY IT!

Even if most of us here don't buy it, we will continue to be punished because there are people that WILL buy it and continue this trend of content removal for sale later... The rest of us not buying this will be left with fragmented games. Developers have the audacity to charge 60 bucks for games and not even give us the whole package. Look at EA sports titles. They don't have all the features of previous gen titles. You have to buy them. W

Safe Bet

Banned
I can understand developers are rightly becoming to see themselves as "content providers" and starting to look towards the episodic model of the major television networks for guidance....

But shit, this seems to be getting out of hand.

Instead of new episodes being released after the game is released we are getting content held back before release.

WTF?

Mojovonio

Banned
Odysseus said:
we certainly can and will

If you ever claim to have bought anything on XBL, I will hunt you down! I WILL!

Anyways, keep in mind that MS is the only shitbag doing this right now. When Sony starts to rape their customers too, we might see some competition.

Next Gen still sucks.

Safe Bet said:
I can understand developers are rightly becoming to see themselves as "content providers" and starting to look towards the episodic model of the major television networks for guidance....

Instead of new episodes being released after the game is released we are getting content held back before release.

WTF?

I so called this shit man.

kevm3 said:
Imagine RPGs being Dragon Ball Z-ized. It sucks.

You rang!?

img9sd7.jpg

Not saying it'll be blue dragon (this game looks great other than the 10 year old lead, ugh), but it's going to happen. It's inevitable.

skybaby

If only the game had been split, like he said, as a CD where you could just buy the whole thing for a smaller price or the separate pieces, that would be fine. But buying at a later date a piece of the game you actually just bought? uh-oh

hyp

don't be so quick to dismiss what he's saying. it's true, with all 3 next gen consoles coming online, publishers will find different ways to present the content. i think the point he's trying to make is that it's up to the gamer to change the way that he/she thinks. getting everything in an all inclusive package is what we've been trained to expect. but with the ipod/downloadable content generation, it will be cheaper developmentally for these companies to release content on a per "feature" basis instead of all at once. when it comes down to it, it's all business... and i don't know about you, but i'd like these small studios to stay alive so i can play their creative masterpieces.

i'm not saying this is the right/wrong path to go, but maybe it's true... we've gotta start getting used to seeing this. in the overall scheme of things, downloadable content is going to present everyone with options. it's up to the publishers to price these things right. unfortunately this way of doing business is so new that we end up feeling victimized. but hey, no one's forcing you to buy it either.

loosus

Banned
I finally thought of what this reminds me of: shitty, amateur shareware. "We'll look for those viruses for free! And for $49.95, we'll remove them!"

Except that, in this example, you'd also have to pay to even get a scan.

It also reminds me of a bunch of shit I used to download when I first got the Internet. "You got to Level 2! Use PayPal now to continue!"

Wario64 said:
Tetsuya Mizuguchi: But it's actually just taking the next step to a challenge and we believe this is the way of the future.

... This scares the shit out of me.

However, you can point the finger at the companies doing this, but you have to remember the folks out there who keep paying for this stuff are just as much to blame. We as consumers have as much power to stop it as the head of whatever company that is trying to bend us over next.

Bottom line: Stop paying for it and it will stop.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Safe Bet said:

WTF?

It shows up the lack of maturity of the games industry really.

The comparisons with Apple are interesting, in that the games industry has seemed to have warped the whole concept. The whole iTunes microtransactions thing was as much about placating the user, and making them feel happy about buying something which they'd originally just got for free. Hence the low fixed price, discounts when you bought the whole CD in one go. And Apple strongly resisted pressure from the record labels for increasing prices on newer stuff. They realise they need to keep the impression of it being fair.

But in the games industry, microtransactions are being offered as the developer's Holy Grail to development costs. And far less about keeping the buyer happy. The backlash over Lumines is a classic example of not thinking about the consumer.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
As a collector who likes physical ownership of things, I can't say I feel any need to buy this instead of emulating/pirating it. Not that I own an xbox360 or would have any interest in this game regardless. If the only offer you're gonna give me is a download, I better be a real fan of the people I am going to financially support.

edit;

Russian Steve said:
Bottom line: Stop paying for it and it will stop.

sadly, information isn't there. Like with lumines Live, what do you get in the core download? are you informed that "If you want x-feature or y-feature, you'll have to give me an additional amount of money later"

Not only is poor marketing with little information on what you get, it's expesive and it takes more time to download the core pack and five smaller ones in turn, instead of one whole pack.

kevm3

If developers become 'content providers' in the sense of following what tv developers are doing, then I'm most likely done with gaming... especially if this hits rpgs, my favorite genre. Instead of playing a game and beingrewarded with a satisfying ending, we're going to continually be left with a 'to be continued' theme?

It's really ridiculous that companies are even removing CORE features of games and trying to charge you for them later. Oh, want to play two player? That'll be five extra bucks. Charging for extra game modes that should be included in the original product is ridiculous.

I was surprised the 'purity' of gaming survived so long. It looks like making games more and more mainstream and the focus of profit maximization is finally catching up with games and slowly but surely morphing it into a bastardized version of its former self.

I hate having to make so many posts back to back on this subject, but this microtransactions business seems to have the potential to ruin a hobby I've enjoyed since I was 3. So please excuse my anger.

demi

Brobzoid said:
what do you actually get if you buy Lumines Live and none of the expansions?

You get more skins... like... 12 I think? Online leaderboard and multiplayer... uh... edit skin mode?

Help me out here, guys.

hyp

Jonnyram said:
My guess is that Mizuguchi is taking the analogy with music too far, and selling the base pack as an album, for an album price. The problem from our point of view is that the puzzles cost next to nothing to add... it's just designing a small 2 colour sprite for each one. Why should we not get that in the base pack?

I can understand charging for skins - that's the meat of the game - but charging for puzzle mode and mission mode stinks. When everything's added up, if it's more than the PSP version, it's shocking.

from his tone in the article, i think what Q is trying to do is expand their userbase a little. maybe by offering just a basic part of the game, they can snag some more people to purchase their products since the cost ($15) is a small barrier to entry for consumers as opposed to a $30-$40 fee at once. joe schmoe on the street might just be happy with the basics? maybe that's what they're banking on...

hyp

demi said:
You get more skins... like... 12 I think? Online leaderboard and multiplayer... uh... edit skin mode?

Help me out here, guys.

time attack, challenge mode, downloadable replays... and achievements.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea of microtransactions. But I must admit I'm bothered buy the fact that a 20 GB HDD fills up awful fast when you're downloading content, and can't be transferred to another HDD; so what happens when I need to buy a second HDD? Do I have to keep swapping them around if I have update A on one, and update B and a game save on another?

And I'm also bothered by the fact that this content has no trade or resale value. For publishers I'm sure this is wonderful, wipe out the secondary market they don't see a dime from. But for anyone else, it stinks.

I also think they've been charging too much - look at what the Oblivion DLC costs - and what you're actually getting - relative to the Morrowind expansions like Tribunal. There was several times as much content for your money there.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TILT/WAGGLE, MICROTRANSACTIONS, OR TILT+MICROTRANSACTIONS!

NEXT-GEN. INNOVATIONS!

Top Bottom