• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12 The Show cover athlete announced (Adrian Gonzalez), coming to Vita & PS3 March

newjeruse

I have a sneaking suspicion that this team has spent the last year, and will spend the next year, working on their PS4 engine.

Yes they've gotten better over time but very very marginally.

Everybody likes it because the gulf in class between The Show and 2k's offering is similar to the gulf in class between playing in the MLB and playing in Single A.

But it's far from being the best baseball sim of all time and if you don't like baseball or playing sport sims this is not for you.

MLB series is the best baseball sim of all time. There is nothing else. Others have been good... MVP '05 was good, High Heat was good, even ESPN MLB 2K4 wasn't bad, but there has never been another game to ever be this close. You'd have to dip into one of the Japanese baseball games to come up with something close, but even then, I'm sure that those could be nitpicked if they were generally released in the West.

I guess maybe we could go back to some pre-High Heat PSX game... Genesis Triple Play? Nintendo Bases Loaded? Those old Tiger Electronic baseball stars?

But other than that, agreed on your point, unless you're a serious fan of baseball and sports games, don't get the MLB series. Frankly, if you're just a moderate baseball fan or moderate sports gaming fan, don't bother... It'll be an exercise in frustration.

I'm guessing we won't be seeing a PS3/Vita combo pack? Not sure what the reason is to have shared save files across these two versions if we won't even get a discount for buying both.
If Sony is serious about this, I should be able to get the combo pack for $80 max.

2vB0w.jpg

Reminds me of that Call of Duty gif where it bashes how much shit is on the screen.

Jesus fucking Christ.

And to think that shot doesn't even have the strike zone or hot zones turned on. And what if there was a runner on third? lololol

Holy fucking hell.

Okay, so is there or is there not cross platform gameplay? I'm thinking about picking up the Vita version on opening day and getting the PS3 version a little later, but if that means I can't play in the NeoGAF league, I'll reverse that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Okay, so is there or is there not cross platform gameplay? I'm thinking about picking up the Vita version on opening day and getting the PS3 version a little later, but if that means I can't play in the NeoGAF league, I'll reverse that.

Nope there isn't cross platform play. You can play the same RTTS/Franchise/Seasons on both your PS3 and the Vita but you can't actually play a PS3 player if you own the Vita version.

bozeman

Guess I'm not seeing too much difference between 12 and 11. More interface, new music at inning change, mascot's feet no longer sink into the dugout. The only little thing that bugged me about 11 is the way, during a pitching change, the pitcher would sometimes flippantly toss the ball to the manager before he made it to the hill. No manager would accept that, and Jose Guillan even called one of his pitchers out on it right there on the mound.

Oh, and the fans reaching over the wall to get a foul ball never got it. Did they change that?

The only little thing that bugged me about 11 is the way, during a pitching change, the pitcher would sometimes flippantly toss the ball to the manager before he made it to the hill. No manager would accept that, and Jose Guillan even called one of his pitchers out on it right there on the mound.?

I think this a problem with constantly tinkering with a product that has very little room for improvement. But I suppose they can't charge full price every year for merely changing rosters.

TriGen

I think this a problem with constantly tinkering with a product that has very little room for improvement. But I suppose they can't charge full price every year for merely changing rosters.

I feel like MLBTS is almost perfect they could only do minor things to it, but one of the improvements they could make is to rtts. I've always felt like they should add some extra "drama" or sense of accomplishment when you do something special, take for example winning the WS/MVP/CY or getting your first career hit, when one of those things happen it doesn't really do anything, for example the WS just kind of ends and there is a box telling you about the awards, I honestly think some sort of award ceremony for your rtts player or at least some sort of acknowledgment when you do something special would go a long way.

Asking for something like that though is a testament to the franchise, when your only complaint is asking for a pat on the back you know the devs have done good.

demolitio

I hope the demo really does come out tomorrow like they said on FB. I just hope there's a Vita demo too because I'd like to make my decision before Tuesday rolls up.

I hope the demo really does come out tomorrow like they said on FB. I just hope there's a Vita demo too because I'd like to make my decision before Tuesday rolls up.

Dare I say if they released a Vita demo, and it was good enough, I may just go with the Vita version.

Then again, I really like playing on my TV as well.

demolitio

Decision? The only correct decision is to get both.

If the Vita version is good, that's probably what I'll try to do, but that's not guaranteed so it all comes down to how the Vita version is and what I've sold by next week. If the Vita version is solid, I'd go with it, but if it's solid and I have 80 bucks (if the deal is true), then I'll get both since I'm a baseball nut and it'll last all year.

That's why a demo is so important. If the Vita version feels really off or inferior in some ways, then I don't know how much I'd play it if I had the console version. As long as it really is practically the same game like people say, then I'd feel better playing it on a handheld since it's anytime, anywhere.

The Vita demo is more important than a console demo to me because it could convince people to get both versions or at least get the Vita version which is pretty important this early on.

Videos showing off new ball physics, collision awareness, urgent animation ect...

Example Of Ball Physics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xbanzI6gW4&feature=channel

Ball Rotation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09v9vohdfE

Ball with Backspin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_pLiSU-GI&feature=channel

Ball Physics and Base runner awareness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnQJK3MU0Lw&feature=channel

Example of Situational Collision Awareness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQq7AQ1KPm8&feature=channel

Example of Playing a Player in a Position He Does Not Play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueLszW8xL1A&feature=channel

Example of Animation Urgency
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfNN1wVphnE&feature=channel

Example of One Glove Collision Detection and Trapping the Ball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Tm28PfQSg&feature=channel

AS YOU CAN SEE, SMALL BUT YET HUGE ADDITION TO GAMEPLAY

I'm getting the Vita version, unless they implement Move support for season mode, etc. Anybody know whether this is happening?

Also, if the Vita version doesn't let you save between pitches, I'll get PS3 version.

Lingitiz

Really excited for this, I put a ridiculous amount of hours into MLB 11, and the small changes in this look fantastic. The little presentation changes are really good, especially the new interface for the score and statistics.

TriGen

They said a demo was coming tomorrow? Ihadn't heard that before, it does sound like believable timing though.

Getting all my Vita games digital, so a PSN coupon in the ps3 version would be perfect. Half off or bust.

I would imagine they would have announced whether or not there was a coupon in the PS3 package for the Vita PSN version. I don't think that will be the method of discount. I could be wrong though.

zychi

Banned
I would imagine they would have announced whether or not there was a coupon in the PS3 package for the Vita PSN version. I don't think that will be the method of discount. I could be wrong though.

I'm banking on Amazon or GS doing a bundle. I only plan on getting the Vita version for now, but if both are under $75 total I'd return my pre-order and get the bundle.

Top Bottom