• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

BnAQ7nuCQAI4RqX.jpg:large

Eyelashes.

I know for a fact all the PS3 versions from 08 on were 60fps.....

The Vita is 30fps, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

He never said anything about resolution, just that he wanted 60fps baseball.

The problem with that is he has very likely been playing at sub 60 fps because of his resolution on ps3. It's noted in the menu to lower your resolution but I don't know how many saw it or paid attention

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I know for a fact all the PS3 versions from 08 on were 60fps.....

The Vita is 30fps, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

He never said anything about resolution, just that he wanted 60fps baseball.

Are you sure about that? I want to see the receipts. I've played this game religiously for years and it has never felt like a solid 60 fps. And technically it isn't now the framerate stutters a bit in cut scenes but during gameplay on PS4 it's rock solid and you can definitely tell. Maybe I am confusing the vita and ps3 versions because I do buy both.

Dysun

Enjoying this game alot, haven't played The Show since 09 so all these improvements over the years are definitely impressive. Graphics look nice too, but those load times are awful
I haven't noticed any framerate drops in the games itself since I stopped using Broadcast mode, looks like that's a cutscene thing only. Game is definitely better when it cuts out the fluff anyway

SRTtoZ

Oh boy, I'm in for a doozy. Lol. And I wasn't aware the game would continue "installing" while you actually play, either. So typical haha. Its alright, I'll just let it install and go grab a bite or something.

Na, the loading times arent great in the game but the first time you install the game and start it the loading time is about 5 minutes, and its NEVER like that again.

It's not the biggest deal but I wish a game with such longevity had better trophies. Longer term goals (3000 hits, 500hrs, etc. for user profile) as opposed to random player lists.

shwimpy

My RTTS dude got selected by the Yankees. :/

First time playing this mode. Pretty neat concept but baserunning is quite boring.

Lrrr

Is it possible to turn off the HUD completely? I don't need to see the which controller buttons represent the pitches or my timing on previous swings. I want to experience this beautiful game as clutter free as possible. The only elements I've been able to remove so far as the strike zone indicator for both hitting and pitching.

The learning curve in this game is brutal. How the hell you're supposed to spot a curveball on a flat screen tv with manual hitting is beyond me. Got my first hit and immediately got picked off attempting to... stand 6 feet off the bag? Is there a base running tutorial somewhere?

The learning curve in this game is brutal. How the hell you're supposed to spot a curveball on a flat screen tv with manual hitting is beyond me. Got my first hit and immediately got picked off attempting to... stand 6 feet off the bag? Is there a base running tutorial somewhere?

No matter how far you lead off always lean back to the base. After 2 extra lead off steps they'll almost always throw over. If the pitcher throws over you'll automatically slide back to the base. Even if you're going to steal, lean to the base until you take off.

Omega

Banned
I'm not even a fan of baseball but I'm loving this game.

There's some problems, like the UI being pretty mediocre and online being stupid but I'm having a blast with Road to the Show. I'm enjoying actually being a scrub. I'm used to NBA 2K where you're all-star material in your first game pretty much.

Pitching is so much fun. I'm still atrocious at batting but it's a good thing the Twins drafted me, I won't need to hit much.

Are you sure about that? I want to see the receipts. I've played this game religiously for years and it has never felt like a solid 60 fps. And technically it isn't now the framerate stutters a bit in cut scenes but during gameplay on PS4 it's rock solid and you can definitely tell. Maybe I am confusing the vita and ps3 versions because I do buy both.

if your TV has been set to 1080p on the ps3 version you haven't been playing at 60 fps

A-V-B

I'm not even a fan of baseball but I'm loving this game.

There's some problems, like the UI being pretty mediocre and online being stupid but I'm having a blast with Road to the Show. I'm enjoying actually being a scrub. I'm used to NBA 2K where you're all-star material in your first game pretty much.

Pitching is so much fun. I'm still atrocious at batting but it's a good thing the Twins drafted me, I won't need to hit much.

I've always played pitching in RTTS. It's so much fun.

What I hope for in the next iteration is when they announce the "Game Summary" it's all text based results. I think it is time to do a commentary over highlights at this point a nice mini recap highlight while commentators chop it up about the game summary.

I went out and got the game today. I love it! I'm a Red Sox fan, so seeing the detail in Fenway is wonderful. I also love the stance they gave Mike Napoli cause it is identical to his real one. I love details like this. They make me giddy lol.

demolitio

I went out and got the game today. I love it! I'm a Red Sox fan, so seeing the detail in Fenway is wonderful. I also love the stance they gave Mike Napoli cause it is identical to his real one. I love details like this. They make me giddy lol.

To me, that's what makes The Show special to me. It's not perfect and we know next year will look a lot better most likely, but it's the attention to detail that makes it so much better than other sports games. When you sit there and see just how many stances there are to choose from for your player is astounding. It took me 15 minutes to go through them all and find my perfect stance that was practically spot on what I used to do so it added so much more immersion to my character based off of me.

It's definitely got room to improve, but it will never NOT impress me.

Korezo

if your TV has been set to 1080p on the ps3 version you haven't been playing at 60 fps

I had MLB 08-10 and played the others, and it does what a lot of ps3 games do and plays in 720p even if you had your ps3 in 1080p. The only way to play them in 1080p was to uncheck 720p to force the ps3 to stay in 1080p.

Is it possible to turn off the HUD completely? I don't need to see the which controller buttons represent the pitches or my timing on previous swings. I want to experience this beautiful game as clutter free as possible. The only elements I've been able to remove so far as the strike zone indicator for both hitting and pitching.

Yes. Don't know the names of everything offhand but they can all be turned off. The only thing on my screen when I play is the score overlay. Is glorious.

Omega

Banned
I should just stick to RttS. Complete opposite experience playing my friend online. I don't know if it was online lag but that shit was just infuriating.

I picked the Nationals and had control on my pitches, usually 9 out of 10 times got them to the smallest they could be, and balls were going everywhere. It go to a point where I didn't even move the ball from the middle of the zone, and I still somehow hit batters doing change ups. fastballs were going like 7 inches away from the strike zone somehow

Sanjuro

...so, I played some online game.

It was a complete glitchfest and it put me in some absurdly foolish mode where the count was already generated to 3-1, 1-2, 3-2, etc.

I no hit the guy until the last batter. I felt bad.

DrBo42

So I just downloaded the digital version and that insane 5 minute load seen on the GB Quick Look was non-existent. Maybe took a minute.

Edit: Had no idea there was a real ticker at the bottom of the main menu. That's really cool.

demolitio

My RTTS dude got selected by the Yankees. :/

First time playing this mode. Pretty neat concept but baserunning is quite boring.

Go into the RttS options and turn off baserunning then or change it to only when you're the lead runner and skip a few pitches in the A.I. batter's count. That way it's not so boring or you don't have to do it at all.

For everyone who sucks at batting in RTTS....stats play a big role as well. Make sure you do all your optional training sessions that come up, and spend the points wisely. For hitting you wanna increase contact and power, but don't forget about plate vision.

Ps4 display area settings then reboot the game

I have already set that on my own PS4 and I have 1080p set to Full on my Sony TV (as in no overscan when I watch BD movies) but does that mean that PS4 games by default are not using native 1:1 pixel mapping but are slightly downsampled unless you increase the overscan area to the edges of your TV in the PS4 settings? Or does increasing this overscan setting actually 'stretch' the graphics slightly?

Hopefully someone understands what I mean! :)

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
Just got done with my first game. Never played the show before and I couldn't be happier. I did my best to go through the manual, but there's a lot of depth to the controls. Figured I'd start on the veteran difficulty and controls because how are you going to learn on beginner. Had a really brutal game the first 7 innings, but I played the Astros so I was able to hold em to one run. Finally hit a home run and tied it with Cargo. Then my middle reliever blew it and gave up a homer. Thought it was over in the bottom of the 9th then homered with Arenado to tie it with two outs and then hit a walk off homer with Tulo to win it two batters later! So good to have a real baseball game again! I didn't buy a PS3 so the last I played was MVP.

Game is great looking for the most part. I did feel like some player models are little weird looking in the day though. I wasn't happy about Blackmon not having his beard either, I think it's why he went 0-4. I'm also really getting worried about my ps4. During that endless loading screen on initial bootup my disc drive sounded like something inside of the PS4 was desperately trying to get out...

Rflagg

Started my rtts career and super excited they say my real name, after just dominating the topps showcase(in fact i got drafted 3rd overall) I am doing well in the minors, but not amazing. It seems like 3 out of five times I will hit it hard, but right to an outfielder.

Anybody know if you pick a team instead of going to the draft if that team will allow you to stay in the organization as long as you play or will they still trade you? I wish I could disable autosave annoying as heck if you got injured or something, yes I want to give up some realism in this mode for pure fun.

Edit: google saved me I gave up on disabling autosave too soon as you can disable in rtts mode. :)

I started this game thinking I'd need beginner controls. I threw a perfect game through 9 innings and had 3 home runs. I think I need to switch it to harder difficulties. I love winning and doing great, but not all the time. This is such a great game.

I've never played with PCI on in any version of the game. This year, it's on by default and I tried it out, and it helped me out. You guys use it?

Top Bottom