• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

What's this OSFM roster people refer to and how do I access it? I'm assuming it's user-made rosters that are seen as a lot better than the ones put out by the dev?

Specifically what they do is remove all the fake, auto-generated players and replaces them with real guys; the "FM" stands for "Full Minors." They also include some modest adjustments to things like batting stances and some ratings tweaks but nothing all that drastic. The main draw is for getting all real players into the game.

Go to Vaults in game, then Rosters, then sort by downloads or ratings and it'll be near the top, can't really miss it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What are you guys using for pitching. I've tried meter, pulse and full analog.

So far, I've had the most success in full analog. Meter was ok, Pulse was impossible.

Am I missing something with pulse? Are you just supposed to tap X when the circle is smallest?

It goes so fast, I don't think I've ever gotten the circle to stop at anything less that 3/4 it's size.

Press X as the pulse is getting smaller, if you wait until it is at it's smallest point you will end up hitting it as it grows back to full size

That's how I've been doing it

So far, I've had the most success in full analog. Meter was ok, Pulse was impossible.

Am I missing something with pulse? Are you just supposed to tap X when the circle is smallest?

It goes so fast, I don't think I've ever gotten the circle to stop at anything less that 3/4 it's size.

I use pulse but I also have the circle on classic mode instead of default. It makes the circle easier to see, which helps with the timing on stopping it.

I don't like pulse cause the accuracy tends to be a wildcard I feel

I would like analog better but I can never seem to move it up accurately and I have a hard time getting the stick to go left

meter isn't totally great but at least i feel most in control

classic is just easy button :p

Returners

Has anybody tried out remote play on Vita for this?

After finishing FF X HD, I'm considering finally selling my launch day vita. But I am hesitant about selling it, I may keep it as a PS4 remote play device.

(I don't have a PS4 yet.)

It's really pretty. Makes me wish the Vita version looked this good.

classic is just easy button :p

Tap for minimum effort, hold til vibration for maximum effort, and lots of room for variation between those two extremes (1.2 seconds is different than 1.8 second is different than 2.4 seconds is different then 3.0 seconds, etc.). It's deeper than you seem to think. Works just like throwing as a fielder but without the feedback meter.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Tap for minimum effort, hold til vibration for maximum effort, and lots of room for variation between those two extremes (1.2 seconds is different than 1.8 second is different than 2.4 seconds is different then 3.0 seconds, etc.). It's deeper than you seem to think. Works just like throwing as a fielder but without the feedback meter.

How does the feedback meter work for fielding? I saw it mentioned, but I've never seen a meter.

Is there a link to a good manual for this game? The one that comes with the digital version is just awful.

Allforce

Specifically what they do is remove all the fake, auto-generated players and replaces them with real guys; the "FM" stands for "Full Minors." They also include some modest adjustments to things like batting stances and some ratings tweaks but nothing all that drastic. The main draw is for getting all real players into the game.

Go to Vaults in game, then Rosters, then sort by downloads or ratings and it'll be near the top, can't really miss it.

Are they worth downloading over the standard dev-issued rosters? I do mostly just exhibition games...

Lrrr

I use analog because I feel it gives me the most control (as did Meter), but I don't like how large and intrusive both are on the HUD. Pulse felt like I was out of control and I didn't think much of classic until I read this...

I'll give this a shot today.

It's really pretty. Makes me wish the Vita version looked this good.

Yeah actually I've been playing it all day on vita. It looks fucking amazing on the vita but damn either I just suck or I swear there is a tiny bit of latency when I'm batting. Almost all of my swings seem to be late. It might just be me. Maybe I'm just trying to find something to blame for hitting .190 since getting called up from the minors in rtts lol.

i started the show from 13, i've been using only pulse, i've never used other, and i like pulse lol.
yes, you are supposed to hit x when the circle is smallest. but a small circle when circle going in and a small circle when the circle is going out are different even though the circle size is the same. they will have different movement, if you want accuracy, circle going in smallest circle is the most accurate.

Mifune

Mehmber
Pulse is fucking hard. I feel like I'm gonna have a seizure trying to time the fast-moving prompt.

That's what I started with and I walked like ten batters. Got a little better with practice but holy crap the STRESS.

friz898

Yeah actually I've been playing it all day on vita. It looks fucking amazing on the vita but damn either I just suck or I swear there is a tiny bit of latency when I'm batting. Almost all of my swings seem to be late. It might just be me. Maybe I'm just trying to find something to blame for hitting .190 since getting called up from the minors in rtts lol.

So are you playing the Vita version, or RP onto the Vita?

If RP, how does your hitting compare on ps4?

abrack08

How does the feedback meter work for fielding? I saw it mentioned, but I've never seen a meter.

Is there a link to a good manual for this game? The one that comes with the digital version is just awful.

Red circles under the fielder's feet that appear the longer you hold the button. 1 circle is a easy/slow throw, 2 is medium, 3 is fast but has a higher chance of being an error. In my experience you don't want to let it go to 3 unless you're worried about getting a fast runner (I had two errors in my first inning letting the meter fill up, none the rest of the game when I payed attention to it). I THINK it also only vibrates when the meter is "full", meaning when you have the highest chance of getting an error but I could be wrong about that.

Are they worth downloading over the standard dev-issued rosters? I do mostly just exhibition games...

The Show can't put new players into the game until they play at least one MLB game. So if your favorite club calls up a minor leaguer, you won't be able to use him in your exhibition games until the next live roster update (ex. Tanaka for the Yankees wasn't available officially in the PS3 version until the Roster Update after his first start). If you're using OSFM, the minor leaguer will have already been created. That'd be pretty much the only advantage if you're just doing random exhibition games, so it's probably not worth it. They keep doing OSFM updates throughout the year, focusing more on equipment, faces, stances, and even attribute changes, so if any of that is important to you later updates might be worth downloading

Returners

It's 30fps on Remote play isn't it? I think that's why.

Lrrr

iwgv36MXj48MI.jpg

friz898

It's 30fps on Remote play isn't it? I think that's why.

I hadn't considered that limitation.

I've never played the Show on ps3/ps4. So I'm use to the Vita version.

Is the Vita specific version 30fps or 60fps?

I'm pretty good at the Show, but I know how hard of a learning curve it had for me 2 years ago. So i know how much of a difference that could make on timing.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The preorder bonus is sooooooooo cheating.

My AA shortstop is 90 overall. LOL

Will use this to create a pitcher. I created and got my RF guy to the show using the PS3, and his stats are stacked pretty well without using purchased or gifted points.

Synless

Well, how is the PS4 version compared the PS3. Can you tell it's a cross gen title or are the graphical differences worth the upgrade?

Well, how is the PS4 version compared the PS3. Can you tell it's a cross gen title or are the graphical differences worth the upgrade?

You can definitely tell its cross gen at times. That said, it really does still look good in motion. Especially the lighting.

But minor league stadiums don't look great, animations stick out more, and there's some odd minor issues.

When I'm batting, there honestly doesn't seem that much of a difference graphics wise. But when I'm pitching and doing fielding shit I can tell. And the game seems to look way better on my 50 inch TV than it does my 24 inch monitor.

Then again I have a horrible eye for this stuff so don't trust me.

So are you playing the Vita version, or RP onto the Vita?

If RP, how does your hitting compare on ps4?

I'm playing RP thru the ps4. I do a lot better batting when I'm playing through my tv for sure. I feel like on vita I'm constantly having to guess where the ball is going to end up before it's pitched. It actually looks amazing on vita tho. Looks better than it does on my hitachi 55inch. Dat vita display. Just wish there wasn't latency.

Jas

Is online co-op in the game? I can't find it in the menus.

Here I was hoping they would add online co-op season this year and it looks like they might have removed it completely. :(

Dubz

UPS just dropped it off, and I'm installing. The wait is killing me. Do I go with my home team, the LA Dodgers, or my dad's childhood team, the St. Louis Cardinals?

Fuck my dad...I'm going with the Dodgers

Allforce

How common is this? I started a Road To The Show guy (Jonny Three Finger!), do awful in the "combine", choose the Tigers to draft me, I'm the starting centerfielder on the Erie Seawolves AA team....and the 2nd game after I hit a leadoff single, I'm picked off 1st base and blow my knee out. Carried off the field.

Career. Over?

SRTtoZ

How common is this? I started a Road To The Show guy (Jonny Three Finger!), do awful in the "combine", choose the Tigers to draft me, I'm the starting centerfielder on the Erie Seawolves AA team....and the 2nd game after I hit a leadoff single, I'm picked off 1st base and blow my knee out. Carried off the field.

Career. Over?

lol. shit happens.

sqwarlock

Career. Over?

I've been playing RTTS since it was introduced, and I've never had a career ending injury. Ever. That's some shitty luck, but I'm sort of glad to know that it can happen.

Pryce

Career. Over?

Shit happens? Lmao.

that's terrible though. Never had that happen.

I grabbed the screenshot below of the Skydome/Rogers Centre during one of the stadium shots before a game started. I shared it to my facebook wall and got a lot of people remarking to me how at first glance they thought it was a real picture

fNECTUk.jpg

Allforce

False alarm! I read it as "Torn ACL". It's a "Torn Calf" and Jonny Three Finger is on the 60 Day Disabled List....

What luck.

Strider

Knight just posted over on OS that version 2 of the full minor rosters should be done in an hour to an hour n a half from now...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there something I'm supposed to be doing when fielding rolling balls? I thought I just had to run over them and the guy would pick them up. I've had like 4 errors in a row where the guy either misses the ball or drops it.

Top Bottom