• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

RBH

A small part of me wants the Jays to win to get another potential series with Texas.

The Mets winning would be cool, but the Giants have a better chance of beating the Cubs.

But no matter what, Go Tribe!!!!
PhTasFI.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=200020408#post200020408

:)

Choomp

Banned
Mad-Bum is fucked. Mets are the team of destiny =)

Noah is right up there with Bumgarner in terms of quality. Both teams should have their hands full.

This is where not having Wilmer sucks, he'd be starting this game and becomes like twice a better hitter against a lefty

As a Cubs fan I'd much rather face the Mets. Gotta give them props for somehow making the WC game though, that's crazy that they made it despite all the injuries. Terry Collins or Dave Roberts for manager of the year.

Choomp

Banned
Mets-GAF, Team Loney or Team Duda for Wednesday? As much as I love Lucas and think he's the better player overall I think you have to go with your hotter hand. Loney seems like the safer play.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Team Loney. Been longer with the team this year. Has done a great job at first. He should get the start.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jeff Sullivan on the Cubs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-the-cubs-stack-up-within-baseball-history/

Out of everyone, the Cubs rank in the top three percent in winning. They rank in the top one percent in run differential, and in OPS differential. That’s why you could make the argument they were even a little unlucky. The best ranking here is OPS differential — in that specific category, the Cubs rank 12th.

I decided I wanted to go another step further. As much as I like those general statistics, an overall rank does nothing to capture performance against league spread. I feel like performance should be evaluated differently if it occurred in a season with very much or very little parity. So for every individual league-season, I calculated the standard deviation in each of the three stats. Then, for every team in every season, I calculated z-scores for each of the three stats. A z-scores just measures the number of standard deviations away from the average. Here are the new Cubs rankings, including a fourth bar, which just takes the average of the three z-scores.

The Cubs manage to shine even more. By winning, they’re just out of the top 10, but they’re now fifth by run differential, and second by OPS differential. The average of the three z-scores puts them in sixth. The five teams ahead of them:

1984 Tigers (won World Series)
1986 Mets (won World Series)
1995 Indians (lost World Series)
2001 Mariners (shut up)

1944 Cardinals (won World Series)

There are a lot of ways to try to slice this, but you could convincingly argue this identifies the best teams ever (or at least since 1913). The Cubs would fit in pretty well with the group. This analysis loves those 1984 Tigers — they finished with eight more wins than anyone else, and across the three stats, they were an average of 2.63 standard deviations better than the mean. The Cubs show up at an average of 2.38 standard deviations better than the mean. That doesn’t make them the best team in baseball history, and I haven’t even made an attempt to adjust for the National League seemingly being worse than the American League, but the Cubs are around the best ever. They could hold their own in conversation.

Walt Weiss has stepped down as Rockies manager.

Braves are interviewing Bud Black and Ron Washington for the job. They've already interviewed internal candidates Brian Snitker, Terry Pendleton, Bo Porter, and Eddie Perez.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Start times:

Oct. 6th:

ALDS game 1 - ALWC vs Tex - 4:30pm
ALDS game 1 - Bos vs Cle - 8pm

Oct. 7th:

ALDS game 2 - ALWC vs Tex - 1pm
ALDS game 2 - Bos vs Cle - 4:30pm
NLDS game 1 - LA vs Was - 5:30pm
NLDS game 1 - NLWC vs Chi - 9pm

Oct. 8th:

NLDS game 2 - LA vs Was - 4pm
NLDS game 2 - NLWC vs Chi - 8pm

Oct. 9th:

ALDS game 3 - Cle vs Bos - 4pm
ALDS game 3 - Tex vs ALWC - 7:30pm

The rest of the times are TBD.

Stroman starting for the Jays.

I'm fine with this, he's had a good 2nd half, plus he was great in the post season last year, so he's had the experience.

Lexxism

Stroman starting for the Jays.

I'm fine with this, he's had a good 2nd half, plus he was great in the post season last year, so he's had the experience.
But the guy had been shit against the O's this year. My god. I hope it will be a different Stroman tomorrow

Top Bottom