• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Amazing what happens when Amaro is gone.

So happy he is finally gone. We are a few years away for sure to make the playoffs but it will be a lot of fun to watch the Phils this year since we will have a young team who don't really have any worries or pressure. Just play ball and I would love to see Howard get like 25+ homers in his last season with us.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Royals win again. :p

In all seriousness though, this makes more sense than you'd think.

Baseball roster sizes are smaller allowing for a larger piece of the pie for each players.

Plus, they play up to 7 games in the World Series while the Super Bowl is just one.

but but but but football is the number one sport in the universe!

BFIB

So happy he is finally gone. We are a few years away for sure to make the playoffs but it will be a lot of fun to watch the Phils this year since we will have a young team who don't really have any worries or pressure. Just play ball and I would love to see Howard get like 25+ homers in his last season with us.
Phils will probably be my franchise choice in MLB 16.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
venezuela-mexico caribbean series final on right now.

edit: tie game after 2 run hr.

was 4-2, now Mexico tied it up in the bottom of the 7th. 4-4.

edit: Mexico wins

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/163919918/lourdes-gurriel-yulieski-gurriel-defect-cuba
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Two top players from the most famous baseball family in Cuba are not expected to return to the island.

Brothers Lourdes Gurriel Jr., 22, and Yulieski Gurriel, 31, are believed to have defected from Cuba's Ciego de Avila team following the Caribbean Series that concluded Sunday in order to seek contracts with Major League teams, according to sources. Lourdes is considered the top prospect in Cuba while his brother is considered the country's best player.

Both have repeatedly expressed a desire to leave the island legally and with the permission of the Cuban government.
Their defection was first reported by Miami's El Nuevo Herald.

Yulieski Gurriel is one of Cuba's most celebrated and decorated players. The infielder was an Olympian in 2004 and has represented Cuba in all three World Baseball Classic tournaments. He's been part of Cuban championship teams at the Pan American Games, Central American Games, World Baseball Championships, International Cup and Caribbean Series.

Gurriel Jr., who plays shortstop and outfield, was hitting .321 with eight home runs and 32 RBIs and a .924 OPS in 43 games for the Havana Industriales this season.

The brothers are the youngest members of the first family of baseball in Cuba.

Oldest brother Yunieski, 33, won two MVP Awards during his 16 seasons in Serie Nacional. In addition to his Cuban league play, Yunieski spent the past two seasons playing for Quebec in the Canadian-American Association. Their father, Lourdes Gurriel Sr., played for the national team for 15 years and won a gold medal, two batting titles and an MVP Award in Cuba. He was also a national team manager.
The brothers also had an uncle, great uncle and cousin who starred in Cuba.

Cuban players who are at least 23 years old and have played in a Cuban professional league for five or more seasons are exempt from the international signing guidelines established by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, effectively making them free agents once they are eligible to sign with a big league club. Cuban players who leave the island and go directly to the United States are subject to the signing guidelines of the MLB Draft.

Lourdes has played six seasons in Cuba and won't be 23 until October. It could take several months for him to become eligible to sign with a Major League club. He will not be subject to the guidelines if he signs after he turns 23.
I think Mexico went undefeated. Baseball catching on over there more and more.
yep 6-0.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winterleagues/league.jsp?league=cs

CaqVTvIWIAAva8m.jpg

Your 2016 Toronto Blue Jays

Beckx

What's the greater sin? Backing the wrong condiment or backing the wrong burger?

I'm ordering some retro sports games soon (NES/SNES/Genesis/PCE/GBA) - definitely ordering Power Pro 94, NHL 94, NBA Jam TE. What else should I get? Mutant League Hockey is at LOL prices otherwise that would be on the list.

5 weeks til real baseball (in Japan)

Beckx

The Gurriel brothers have defected from Cuba and are seeking MLB deals.

edit: soooooo late, you'd think I would've seen the quote

zulux21

3N16MA

Banned
All the hate directed towards Newton reminds me of the hate directed at baseball players for showing some emotion and flipping a bat.

If you break the 100 year mold and unwritten rules on how a baseball player is supposed to act you will be seen as a showboating lowlife.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Ahhh, police reports...

Upon my arrival, I met with [victim] who stated that at approximately 2120 hrs. this date, the defendant grabbed him by the neck. [Victim] stated that the defendant had approached him and told him to open the access door to the elevator of Club 50. [Victim] advised the defendant that the elevator was closed since the club was closed. The defendant became irate and told him, “Stupid Cuban. Open the fucking door. I’m here. Now what?” [Victim] repeated that the door can not [sic] be opened.

The defendant then walked away and returned moments later. He confronted [victim] again and told him to open the door again. [Victim] again told him he could not open the door and the defendant responded, “I’m gonna fucking kill you you Latin piece of shit.” The defendant then reached over the valet podium where [victim] was standing and grabbed him around his neck with both hands. [Victim] stated that he continued to strangle him for approximately 5 to 6 seconds before [victim] was able to peel the defendant’s fingers from his neck. The defendant then fled the area towards the rear tower where he resides. Hotel security staff was able to provide the condominium which the defendant resides.

I knocked on the door and the defendant responded naked from his waist down. I asked the defendant to clothe himself and provide identification. The defendant was unsteady on his feet and spoke with slurred speech. [...] The defendant is known to hotel security and was identified by [victim] on scene as the subject who choked him. While on scene the defendant was belligerent. He stated to me, “I’ll slap you in the face with money you fucking Cuban.”

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Sources: MLB, union closer to rule change for slides into second base

Progress has been made in Major League Baseball's effort to change the rules about slides into second base, sources told ESPN.

Such slides drew more attention late the past season after devastating leg injuries were suffered by the Pittsburgh Pirates' Jung Ho Kang and the New York Mets' Ruben Tejada,

In the ongoing talks between the union and MLB, the sides have been able to find a lot of common ground, and sources expect a change in time for the start of the upcoming season. The sides "will get there," one source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.

Within the rule alterations being discussed, there is a focus on ensuring that sliding runners either touch the base or make an effort to touch the base.

Sources said that in the union's internal discussions, players made it clear they had been taught since they first began playing baseball to go into second base with the intent of breaking up double-play attempts. Although the union wants to improve safety for middle infielders, it does not want to eliminate players' aggressiveness on slides or the ability to break up a double play.

However, there is a desire on both sides to eliminate slides on which a baserunner goes beyond the effort to reach second to make contact with middle infielders. That is what happened with Tejada, as Chase Utley was nowhere near the base when he crashed into Tejada's leg. Utley was given a two-game suspension by Major League Baseball for that play, a punishment that has been appealed.

Beckx

Its a start.

Power Pro 2016 has a Japanese release date, April 28. I was hoping for March when the season starts but there you go.

zulux21

mlb the show is being mean to me...
they just traded me from the white sox to the angels for mike trout, matt shoemaker and fernando salas
:/

oh well, guess I will be an angel for a bit.
though it's a shame to tie the all time home run record for the angels (traded with 72 home runs lol)

in other news I noticed on mlb.tv that some of the games outside of the USA are being streamed over the next few days.

Top Bottom