• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Braves final roster spots were decided today. Pastronicky at SS, Cantstandya on the bench, Delgado in the Rotation and Flande in the Bullpen. Delgado and Cantstandya will probably only be on the roster for about a month though.

Parch

More than one, i.e. too many.
Yeah, just the dreamers. I'm sure nobody was ever serious about realistically seeing Votto in a Jays uniform.
Blue Jays only shop at the discount stores and do a little dumpster diving. Player development is the real talent source.

Fox318

Heyo, good draft the other day. It's pretty obvious that I already won, just like the O's got the AL East locked up!

bhjTO.png

jesus christ @ Votto's deal. And I was hoping the Mariners might emerge as a Dark Horse for him if he hit free agency, but not at that money. I wonder if Matt Kemp will end up kicking himself for not holding out if he has another great year. New Dodger ownership could have given him a $250 million contract.

sangreal

Really? I could have sworn it was $10.

might have gone up since the last time I was there (2010), but I'm fairly certain the bottles are $9 and the regular drafts are tiny and cheaper unless you upgrade. Also any draft other than the domestic light beers are really expensive.

There is the slimmest of hopes that they could keep BP, but yeah... he's likely a goner. I'm glad Votto is staying.....

Yep. Even if it hurts the team, I'd rather lose with guys I like than win with guys I don't know. I get so much more enjoyment as a Reds fan than a Kentucky fan for that reason. I'm glad he's here to stay, until they get desperate and trade him.

Tedesco!

Yep. Even if it hurts the team, I'd rather lose with guys I like than win with guys I don't know. I get so much more enjoyment as a Reds fan than a Kentucky fan for that reason. I'm glad he's here to stay, until they get desperate and trade him.

We are thankfully past the Lindner days, and what we are witnessing is hopefully the beginning of something new. The team showed promise in 2010, but unfortunately stumbled in '11. Lindner would have already piecemeal'd the team if he were still in charge.

Holy cow at the Votto extension. He may be the best 1B in the game at this point in time but I don't know if it would be prudent to give him $200+ million, 10 years right now if he was a free agent, much less 2 seasons before free agency. The fact he's getting this kind of money before other teams can bid on his services is mind boggling to me.

We are thankfully past the Lindner days, and what we are witnessing is hopefully the beginning of something new. The team showed promise in 2010, but unfortunately stumbled in '11. Lindner would have already piecemeal'd the team if he were still in charge.

You know, the happiest person I know about this is my sister. She thinks Joey Votto is the hottest man on the planet, lol.

BFIB

Holy shit at that Votto extension. Who would have thought four months ago that the Cards would lose Pujols but the Reds would be the ones to sign Votto to $200 mil plus?

Reds aren't messing around, but they need to win it all this year. Unless they plan on raising payroll significantly.

Holy shit at that Votto extension. Who would have thought four months ago that the Cards would lose Pujols but the Reds would be the ones to sign Votto to $200 mil plus?

Reds aren't messing around, but they need to win it all this year. Unless they plan on raising payroll significantly.

They need to win it all? Uh oh. lol

The NL is now the farm system for the AL... again.

BFIB

Thats right Vas, pressure's on!

Actually, the Reds will be solid for the next couple years. Have there been any reports on deferred money on the contract?

The funny thing is, unless the extension somehow defers money from the original contract, this commitment does nothing to improve their odds to win the WS this year. Or next year. For the next two seasons, it's only a break even or lose situation for the Reds. And although the circumstances are different, we all saw how risky it is to extend a player years before free agency with Ryan Howard.

the best thing about the crazy Votto deal is that it can now be added to the "MAN THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY FOR A 1B...BUT STILL NOT AS BAD AS RYAN HOWARD!" list.

BFIB

The funny thing is, unless the extension somehow defers money from the original contract, this commitment does nothing to improve their odds to win the WS this year. Or next year. For the next two seasons, it's only a break even or lose situation for the Reds. And although the circumstances are different, we all saw how risky it is to extend a player years before free agency with Ryan Howard.

Its a good point. I do think Votto will perform better than expected. But, yeah, they basically gave money to the man when they didn't have to, and more often than not, that can hurt down the road.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah, just the dreamers. I'm sure nobody was ever serious about realistically seeing Votto in a Jays uniform.
Blue Jays only shop at the discount stores and do a little dumpster diving. Player development is the real talent source.

I know a few people who are very upset about this. Still not sure why. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom