• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Lexxism

Anyway to save in a middle of a franchise game? Got to leave in a few and having an awesome pitchers dual. Would like to save and resume when I get home.

If so, how? Thanks!
No idea but how about suspending the game and put your console in rest mode? I always do that.

They've got to make it easier to throw out runners. You can't really queue up the throw and that ruins everything. I've done slide steps and thrown fastballs knowing the runner would take off, and each time my catcher throws it too late because either the first button press didn't register, or it takes too long for the game to allow you to throw the ball.

I'm pretty happy bunting was nerfed, but this is the next big thing they got to take care of.

ViciousDS

Banned
They really could have killed the documentary style of the career mode in the game this year to make a really good career mode next year with voice overs.......it's really bad lol.

GravyButt

Any way to have batters and pitchers current game stats on the screen at all times? Id much rather see that than bat speed/early swing overlay to be honest.

I was playing Road to the Show (my player is a pitcher drafted by the Cubs (1st Round, 30th pick)) and in one of my games, my pitcher hit a homerun. While watching the replay, I noticed a fan caught the ball. On closer inspection, I noticed it was headed towards a little girl and it was clearly hers for the taking. The older fan just jumped in front of her and took it for himself. It even looks like he's taunting the girl. Sad thing is, there are real "fans" like this in the world.

Mine!!

Blablurn

I was playing Road to the Show (my player is a pitcher drafted by the Cubs (1st Round, 30th pick)) and in one of my games, my pitcher hit a homerun. While watching the replay, I noticed a fan caught the ball. On closer inspection, I noticed it was headed towards a little girl and it was clearly hers for the taking. The older fan just jumped in front of her and took it for himself. It even looks like he's taunting the girl. Sad thing is, there are real "fans" like this in the world.

Mine!!

poor girl lol

Quick

Banned
Bought MLB The Show every year for the last 6 years at least, but I haven't been fully hooked in the last couple of years.

How is it so far in comparison to last year's game? Significant update?

They've got to make it easier to throw out runners. You can't really queue up the throw and that ruins everything. I've done slide steps and thrown fastballs knowing the runner would take off, and each time my catcher throws it too late because either the first button press didn't register, or it takes too long for the game to allow you to throw the ball.

I'm pretty happy bunting was nerfed, but this is the next big thing they got to take care of.

I have Gordon and Villar atop my lineup :p

Dubz

What. Does do I need to play in DD to get stubs or card packs? I just played a sp game against an AI DD team, and didn't get shit. I won the game. What do I need to do to earn stubs in sp? Please don't say conquest mode.

this is my first time playing the franchise. what should i do first? i haven't played a baseball game since the 90s, so i don't even know the most basic mechanics.

BFIB

this is my first time playing the franchise. what should i do first? i haven't played a baseball game since the 90s, so i don't even know the most basic mechanics.
Wait a week or so until OSFM rosters are out. It will have full minor league players, instead of the generic fill ins.

tmac456

Yeah I'm really enjoying it. The franchise mode is an absolute blast.

That's what I've been playing. Kinda casually as I wait for the OSFM rosters to come out

Until you play online at least. Honestly, this is the first time I've tried to play a "Show" game online, and I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it if this is what it will be like.

I tried to play one game of the Battle Royale mode (the three inning draft team game), and almost every hit had a stutter between the when the ball was hit and when it switched to a camera in the field. When I was pitching, there was a delay of a few seconds every time before any buttons would register and in the second inning the game eventually glitched out where the camera stayed on my infielder after he tagged a guy out trying for a double and never left him. I couldn't do anything other than go back to the PS4 home screen and close the game. Haven't gone back in so I'm not sure if it gave me a loss or not.

Yeah I haven't touched online yet. Likely won't until a couple weeks from now when things are finally ironed out

Jesb

I can't understand guessing pitches in this years version. Last year you would have a square to place in the batters zone on where you think it's going. Where is this in this game, is it gone now? I haven't guessed a single pitch yet after three games.

newsguy

I can't understand guessing pitches in this years version. Last year you would have a square to place in the batters zone on where you think it's going. Where is this in this game, is it gone now? I haven't guessed a single pitch yet after three games.

Look in the options menu. There are different versions of the guess pitch interface that you can choose.

abrack08

I fucking hate the AA manager. Jesus. I'm always getting sub out after 5 innings.

Yep. If I have a shutout going, he'll leave me in for 2+ innings after my energy bar is completely empty, but if I've given up a single run he usually takes me out after 5.

Lexxism

Yep. If I have a shutout going, he'll leave me in for 2+ innings after my energy bar is completely empty, but if I've given up a single run he usually takes me out after 5.
Yup. If I allowed a hit on 5th or 6th, there's a chance of my player getting sub out even if your pitch count is low. Is there a way to complain this? This is making the mode unplayable for me.

Afrikan

Facing Clayton Kershaw in an online match (guess pitch off).... really makes you want to quit the game...especially when your own pitcher is hanging pitches over the plate. :/

Kershaw's curveball is fucked up.

FrankWza

Facing Clayton Kershaw in an online match (guess pitch off).... really makes you want to quit the game...especially when your own pitcher is hanging pitches over the plate. :/

Kershaw's curveball is fucked up.

The game could use an indicator like the old MVP hitters eye.

GravyButt

MLB is actual MLB Network style coverage. It's meant to have a national level feel. The other two are regional style themes.

Ook thanks. What do you guys prefer. I really haven't payed too much attention but theme 1 seems to feel the best. Actually showing numbers for balls and strikes instead of the circles, which for some reason distracts me haha

What. Does do I need to play in DD to get stubs or card packs? I just played a sp game against an AI DD team, and didn't get shit. I won the game. What do I need to do to earn stubs in sp? Please don't say conquest mode.

You should get stubs for every game you play in any mode. In the post play screen it doesn't show you how many stubs you've earned, it will just add them to your bank.

WatTsu

Hahaha wow. Drafted a Battle Royale team and as I was making a substitution it erased my roster and kicked me out. No Stubs refunded, and I can't get back in. Hopefully it'll sort out later but otherwise, jeez.

Fucking CHRIST. I'm on a 7-game win streak in Battle Royale. I was down 2-0 going into the 3rd inning. I squeaked out a run to make it 2-1 and then Andrew Benintendi hit a grand slam to make it 5-2! I get the first out in the bottom of the inning and suddenly

SERVER ERROR. YOUR CONNECTION TO THE SHOW ONLINE HAS BEEN LOST.

Fuck YOU.

Yshi

Neo Member
for someone that dont understand baseball, and never played any game of it, how hard is to learn, and I'm going to like it?

FrankWza

for someone that dont understand baseball, and never played any game of it, how hard is to learn, and I'm going to like it?

Its kind of hard to learn. Theres a lot of strategy involved. Some substitutions and situational moves you need to make. Its not as fast-paced as other sports. If you are intrigued by it youll probably like it. Theres plenty of sliders and options to cater to your skill. Try an older version if youre not sure. You can probably find '15 for $5.

Fucking CHRIST. I'm on a 7-game win streak in Battle Royale. I was down 2-0 going into the 3rd inning. I squeaked out a run to make it 2-1 and then Andrew Benintendi hit a grand slam to make it 5-2! I get the first out in the bottom of the inning and suddenly

SERVER ERROR. YOUR CONNECTION TO THE SHOW ONLINE HAS BEEN LOST.

Fuck YOU.
Worst feeling you can have playing this game

Ook thanks. What do you guys prefer. I really haven't payed too much attention but theme 1 seems to feel the best. Actually showing numbers for balls and strikes instead of the circles, which for some reason distracts me haha

MLB Network presentation is definitely the best.

Crackbone

As per usual the gameplay is top notch this year. It feels as if all of the little things they did this year (animations, ball physics, etc) adds up to larger sum than the parts. As far as gameplay goes it's the best show yet no doubt.

Now, the online portion is trash again so far. It's probably been overall worse in earlier editions but by adding so many things to do in DD it just feels worse this year.

If they get the online in okay shape this is the year to jump in.

I wonder if this patch can stop them from giving me imaginary Battle Royale losses.

I've now had it happen twice where I beat someone, or they quit, and the game gave me a loss.

First time, it was whatever. I emailed them about it, I asked for a Battle Royale refund but didn't say much else. Didn't complain and bitch and whatever, was as polite as I could be. They replied "As a one-time goodwill gesture, we will refund your Battle Royale entry." Acting like they're doing me a favor because of an error on their part.

And then it happened again yesterday. And this time it hit even harder, because I know I reached 9-0 but they gave me a loss on my 4th game and simply didn't count another (several hours had passed and they never counted it), so my run was stopped at 7-2. You know why this is annoying? Because my 9 win reward was pretty substantial and I didn't get it. Additionally, if I was 9-1 like I should have been, I would only need 3 wins to get to 12. Instead I never got a chance to move on.

It's just unacceptable---what if I kept on winning and got to 12-1? I hope they know there's a HUGE difference between 12-1 and 12-0. I was already robbed of my rightful 9 win reward. I emailed them again last night, and basically just said "Hi, it happened again. Here's a screenshot and my PSN ID." Didn't say much else, because I know sounding all angry and pissed in an email isn't going to really help. But man, at this point, a "sorry here's 1500 stubs back" is just pitiful because you know damn well it isn't costing them shit on their part. Based on their first reply, I apparently should be grateful if they refund me a 2nd time.

I want to play Battle Royale more than other modes because I don't like grinding for missions, and I enjoy the thrill of climbing up the ladder. I had hit 12-0 several times last year before they changed the system and made the rewards much better for getting to 12 wins, so I didn't benefit as much as I could have. But this makes me just not even want to play the game. NBA 2k's online connection is known to be a total joke. How is it possible that this game is even worse?

Dubz

RTTS is my favorite mode. Regular franchise is too much of a grind, and DD just doesn't feel as good as MUT.

Is it baked in that you get drafted by the Yankees, or is that random?

Lexxism

RTTS is my favorite mode. Regular franchise is too much of a grind, and DD just doesn't feel as good as MUT.

Is it baked in that you get drafted by the Yankees, or is that random?
Fuck RTTS manager decision though. I'm on legend difficulty and I only last 4-5 innings because the goddamn manager keeps on subbing me out once I have up a hit in the 5th or 6th on a scoreless or 1-run game.

Dubz

Fuck RTTS manager decision though. I'm on legend difficulty and I only last 4-5 innings because the goddamn manager keeps on subbing me out once I have up a hit in the 5th or 6th on a scoreless or 1-run game.
Weird. I've played about 40 games of AA ball and have never been subbed out. I'm playing short/3B, leading the team in RBIs and HRs, but only batting about .270.

Slizeezyc

Events, Battle Royale, Seasons are all sort of plagued with similar issues it seems at peak-ish hours. Just weird pauses in the action, the game idling in the infield after outs etc. Hope it's just a patch that's needed to smooth it out.

Events, Battle Royale, Seasons are all sort of plagued with similar issues it seems at peak-ish hours. Just weird pauses in the action, the game idling in the infield after outs etc. Hope it's just a patch that's needed to smooth it out.

this has happened in 2 out of 2 games in DD. I refuse to try anymore until I see patch notes saying it's been fixed.

Lexxism

Weird. I've played about 40 games of AA ball and have never been subbed out. I'm playing short/3B, leading the team in RBIs and HRs, but only batting about .270.
Ah, I'm talking about being a pitcher. The manager decision on RTTS is broken.

Yeah, I have a pitcher that is maxed out in literally everything and I'll be in the 7th inning with 70-80 pitches thrown, and if I give up just a single he takes my ass out.

So I know I'm part of the problem but I bought that 50 card pack bundle.

Got the promised 8 silvers.

In the 50 other packs, I got 1 gold player (Kyle Hendricks), 5 other silvers and tons of junk.

Feel legit ripped off.

I deserve this.

BFIB

In the 50 other packs, I got 1 gold player (Kyle Hendricks), 5 other silvers and tons of junk.

Feel legit ripped off.

I deserve this.
Life of a Padres fan.

Slizeezyc

this has happened in 2 out of 2 games in DD. I refuse to try anymore until I see patch notes saying it's been fixed.

Yeah, I've only played 5-6 across all three modes. I've had a clean experience in Ranked Seasons when it's not like between 7-10 pm, but the others have been shaky always it seems. I'm having a good enough time doing offline missions etc. that I think I'll be in the same boat for now -- sans playing against friends online.

Feel legit ripped off.

I deserve this.

Got a 20 pack today and 4 of the new ones and picked up Betances and Votto

Ahhhh the curse of pack luck playing out in simultaneous posts with victory and defeat. I bought one of those Bases Loaded packs -- even though the odds are shenanigans as it's still only 4 cards and 4,000 Stubs for one so it's fake odds in many ways -- and packed an Arenado off the top. So that's 80 K after selling him that will not be used to buy packs, but rather just finish Collections I imagine.

I'm thinking about picking this up as my first baseball game in many years but hesitating because I've just never seen baseball done in a video game very well. In the old games everything always seemed "canned" and once you got a feel for hitting you could dominate offense super easily. And games never played out like real baseball games.

Does The Show '17 have it figured out? Should I dive in now?

Top Bottom