• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Man all yall need to wait on Battle Royale till it's fixed.

Played a game yesterday I won 22-1. This guy just kept throwing meatball after meatball and the whole thing felt off, like why is this dude wasting his time playing right now?. Eventually in the 2nd and 3rd inning I got tired of it and just started letting him get me out.

Got back to the menu and was tagged with an L. Box score clearly says I won. But this guy got the win. I have a feeling he manipulated the result but I don't even think that's really possible, but I ran into so many scumbags last year who DDOS'd or freeze the game to get you to quit, that I assume the worst out of everyone.

I want to love you, Battle Royale

BFIB

So, I'm new to The Show series and sim type baseball in general. In fact, prior to buying this the only BB I've played since the Super NES era was Super Mega Baseball.

I have a question on hitting types (directional,zone). What do people usually use and is there one that is preferable for someone that is new to the series?

I'm currently using zone but after watching a YouTube video for tips I'm more confused. The video I watched the person never moved the reticle from its default position. Is this how you should be using zone hitting?

Also, within the reticle, is it always preferable to hit the ball while it's dead center or does hitting at different areas within the reticle produce different desirable hits?

The marketplace, is there a guide,video or tips someone can suggest on how much to sell cards for, compare to listed pieces? I don't want to under or overprice things. Obviously different prices for different cards. I usually ignore player economies in mmo's and other games so this is all new to me.
You can either do zone where you use the right analog to influence the hit, or you can do directional where you just time the pitch, but can use the left analog to guide the pitch if the pitch is in that zone.

Dubz

I tried DD, but it's just not for me. It's super confusing on what I'm supposed to be doing to move forward with my team, and that Conquest mode is just weird.

That being said I love RTTS, and I played 2 mp games with a friend, and both were mostly lag free.

ukas

Is there a list explaining what the new in game perks are? Some are self-explanatory, but other are hard to figure out.

pmunk

First MLB The Show since 14, they've made huge strides!

Haven't been this put on by a sports game in a long time, maybe back to NHL 07.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Thanks a lot for these! I can definitively say that there's no downsampling from higher resolution in either setting. Both are natively rendered at 1080p, with (not very effective) post-processing AA. At least for these shots, I don't see any graphical differences between the two modes.

If anybody can get 4K shots off their Pro for the various modes, I could try to see what the differences really are. Thanks again for your help!

mlbrtheshowtm17_1yfx8n.png

Enhanced Visuals

I don't know what's up but I can't finish a diamond dynasty head to head game. About to give up on playing online. Just seems to freeze with no error and the camera staring af a fielder. This sucks!!! Back to COD I guess.

Rbk_3

I really didn't think HDR looked all that amazing. Then I turned it off and everything just looks so bland. I find it's more something you notice when it's gone.

Amiibro

Thanks a lot for these! I can definitively say that there's no downsampling from higher resolution in either setting. Both are natively rendered at 1080p, with (not very effective) post-processing AA. At least for these shots, I don't see any graphical differences between the two modes.

If anybody can get 4K shots off their Pro for the various modes, I could try to see what the differences really are. Thanks again for your help!

hecky, I just bought this and I swear I read it had downsampling previously. Oh well it will still look great on Pro for me on 1080p. Haven't played since 15'

Afrikan

its been awhile since I've played this series..

I just spend ALOT of time editing my lineup for specific types of pitchers as well as moved a player on my AAA team to MLB...and moved another guy down to make up for it. Roster was not "invalid".

I then went to save the roster as "Roster"

After all that... when I tried to play an online game...everything was reset to the original roster... I then went to check the roster control section and everything was reset to orginal roster....I then went back to the data utility and loaded the saved "Roster" file... and again everything is reset to the orginal roster. It was like nothing was saved. :/

I feel I just wasted alot of time.

WTF happened?

GravyButt

I tried DD, but it's just not for me. It's super confusing on what I'm supposed to be doing to move forward with my team, and that Conquest mode is just weird.

I wish someone could really explain it to me. I honestly don't get it either. I love stuff like MUT,FUT ect

Crackbone

I wish someone could really explain it to me. I honestly don't get it either. I love stuff like MUT,FUT ect

It's pretty similar to MUT, but it's a lot more rewarding. Sds actually gives you cards and packs for playing. And they give them to you regularly.

If you have any questions hit me in a PM. I play a ton of MUT so I can help you if you're confused about how the mode works. (Missions, programs, etc)

Fucks sake, got off to a great start in AA, hitting over .300 and got into the all star game. Dynamic difficulty had just moved up to all star when I get called into the managers office.

"You're getting called up, congrats"

"Cool, where's our AAA team based?"

"You don't get it son. The Cardinals have called you up, you're going to St. Louis."

Cue a horrific slump in form, and the dynamic difficult going all the way down to rookie just in time for my demotion to AAA.

What hitting camera do you guys use? I'm finding myself swinging at breaking balls I should be leaving.

I don't like how diamond status starts at 90 this year, I had so many 91 and 92 rated players on my DD team last year

Kinda silly that gold is only 85-89 and silver 80-84

Dude Guy

This is my first time playing one of these games... I've gotten the hang of pitching and fielding... But god damn I fucking suck at hitting lmao

I'm done. Just did a fifteen inning game against Seattle to complete a daily mission just for it to go to the queue and not count. Back to redbox it goes and maybe I'll pick it back up when it's on sale for $20 and the servers work.

DD is way better than similar modes in other games mainly because once you get a card it's yours, no contracts

I miss when you had generated player cards and could change their names. I get that people wanted to play DD with actual players, but I was far more invested when I could edit my players.

MLB 4K setting on 1080P HDTV (PS4 Pro):

MLB Enhanced Visual setting on 1080P HDTV (PS4 Pro):

Your TV is overscanning. That's why you have your PS4 video output set to underscan. So when you take direct images, we see the underscan has black borders.

Set your TV to just scan / picture fit/ screen fit / dot by dot or whatever the fuck your tv calls it. And then readjust your ps4 video output display area to match the corners properly now.

Every TV (except for maybe 4k tv's) overscan by default. So if you're reading this post and haven't corrected for overscan yet, then your tv is overscanning and you're fucking up the image quality. PC monitors don't overscan fyi.

So, I'm new to The Show series and sim type baseball in general. In fact, prior to buying this the only BB I've played since the Super NES era was Super Mega Baseball.

I have a question on hitting types (directional,zone). What do people usually use and is there one that is preferable for someone that is new to the series?

I'm currently using zone but after watching a YouTube video for tips I'm more confused. The video I watched the person never moved the reticle from its default position. Is this how you should be using zone hitting?

Also, within the reticle, is it always preferable to hit the ball while it's dead center or does hitting at different areas within the reticle produce different desirable hits?

The marketplace, is there a guide,video or tips someone can suggest on how much to sell cards for, compare to listed pieces? I don't want to under or overprice things. Obviously different prices for different cards. I usually ignore player economies in mmo's and other games so this is all new to me.

As long as your hitter has good (vision) - which results in a larger hit zone, your basic plate coverage should be okay. Only adjust your zone when you know the pitch is high, low, inside or outside. A lot of times people will adjust the zone when they more or less didn't need to.

And yes, directional hitting is dumb. Zone hitting is far better because you are more rewarded for proper contact. Where has directional hitting leaves thing up for random chance. I don't know why the game defaults to directional hitting, it's fucking terrible.

So yeah, use zone hitting.

Enhanced Visuals
Thanks a lot for these! I can confirm that 4K mode is running natively at 3840x2160, and enhanced visuals mode is running at 2560x1440. Apart from that, I couldn't find any differences in these shots--not AF, AO, textures, shadows, etc. Could it be the case that "enhanced visuals" may just be referring to the extra pixels, and the only differences between modes are resolution and framerate?

If it's possible to get more varied shots, especially with long view distance like stadium shots or fielding, I might be able to see if there's other enhancements just not visible with the pitching camera.

Juno_

Neo Member
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a way to see the transactions of your team in the road to the show? Can't seem to find it

Lexxism

If it's possible to get more varied shots, especially with long view distance like stadium shots or fielding, I might be able to see if there's other enhancements just not visible with the pitching camera.
I have some but maybe not what angle you are looking for.

Enhanced Visuals

Playing on a 4K TV. I'll try some more later.

I have some but maybe not what angle you are looking for.

Enhanced Visuals

Playing on a 4K TV. I'll try some more later.
I really appreciate it! This tells us a little more--still no AO/AF/shadow/texture changes, for example. But if it's not too much trouble, direct comparative shots would be even better. That is, a 4K image of a right-handed batter/catcher, and an enhanced-visuals-mode infield shot from the same angle. Doesn't have to be the same game or players (but still in Busch Stadium). Thanks so much!

Lexxism

I really appreciate it! This tells us a little more--still no AO/AF/shadow/texture changes, for example. But if it's not too much trouble, direct comparative shots would be even better. That is, a 4K image of a right-handed batter/catcher, and an enhanced-visuals-mode infield shot from the same angle. Doesn't have to be the same game or players (but still in Busch Stadium). Thanks so much!

Enhanced Visual

I misunderstood your same angle for the infield shot request. I'll try it again later when I play.

Afrikan

Ok I guess I'm finally understanding how rosters work... You can't edit live rosters and expect them to save. They just default back.

But you can edit and save a "currect" roster..and load it and all of your changes will still be there.

But I wanted to use my "current" roster for online matches. But it seems that it only does Live/Daily Rosters.

From what I'm used to with Madden Football Online. If you have players on the practice squad, you can use them in an online game. So I'm just used to that flexibility.

Enhanced Visual
Thanks so much! So these bring up some questions. Are the stadiums populated differently at random, or due to particular matchups? The crowd density in your "enhanced visuals" shot is much higher than in the previous 4K shot; is that just natural variation?

Also, do some parks look better-rendered than others? Because in the pitching shot particularly, your Busch Stadium captures have more and better small detail than Chamber's shots from SunTrust Park. Is it maybe just the new field isn't as exact as the rest?

Lexxism

Thanks so much! So these bring up some questions. Are the stadiums populated differently at random, or due to particular matchups? The crowd density in your "enhanced visuals" shot is much higher than in the previous 4K shot; is that just natural variation?
I would think it is due to particular match-ups or who's the home team. TB is not known on having a good crowd attendance on their home game. I guess the developer factor that in depending who is the home team or a particular match.
Also, do some parks look better-rendered than others? Because in the pitching shot particularly, your Busch Stadium captures have more and better small detail than Chamber's shots from SunTrust Park. Is it maybe just the new field isn't as exact as the rest?
Maybe our shot was based on a different time? Like mine was around 1 PM and his was around 4 PM. I guess.

tbhysgb

I think I've settled on analog zone for hitting. What is in your guys opinions the best hitting mode? I used to play the hell out of this series back when it was just MLB lol. Made by 989.

Anyway just wondering the best pairing with analog. Analog reminds me of NCAA baseball that EA had. I love it.

Maybe our shot was based on a different time? Like mine was around 1 PM and his was around 4 PM. I guess.
It's not just time of day. Here's a crop of the basepath near home. Note that I have not zoomed this at all, it's just cropped out of 4K shots.

showcomparelfq85.gif

The difference is very clear here. Toward the backstop (at the top of the image), the ground textures do look identical. But that rough texture comes all the way up to the camera in one shot, whereas grass is added in the near part in the other shot. This looks a lot like a LOD difference, where grass just isn't drawn as far in one setting. But both of these shots were taken with Pro hardware, with the game set to 4K mode (the pixel resolution does seem to support this).

sh1fty

Anyone else seeing inconsistent results when playing on the same difficulty? I played 2 games vs. CPU against the Orioles and won 15-0 and 18-3 on Rookie... then played the Red Sox and lost 4-1...

I'll have to try a few more to make sure it's not an anomaly but I feel like the results shouldn't vary that differently unless the game dynamically adjusted the difficulty between games without me knowing (maybe because I was crushing the CPU in the first few?)

I've had two straight battle royale runs that ended without me getting my complimentary card pack.....

I love playing this game but man, this disastrous first week online is such a let down. I really like playing BR the most but what is the point if I've gotten handed a loss I shouldn't have or I don't get my pack after? I still made bank from hitting 9 wins but damn...

ironmang

Is the MVP edition limited? Best Buy told me they didn't have the copy I preordered (lol) for in store pickup and when I called they put me in the back of the line to get one shipped to my house. Estimated delivery was 4/17... then that changed to 4/19... and now it's 4/24. Just wondering if I should cancel if MVP edition is sold out with no future shipments.

Wow, I haven't played a Show game since '14, and this is a massive step up in almost every way. I think my favourite change/addition they've made (since the last time I played) is the ability to jump directly into the next game in a series in RTTS without having to load back to the calendar, and back into the next game. Cuts down time spent with loading screens dramatically, and you can bust through a whole bunch of games really quickly. Overall it feels like loading times are down a lot from '14 as well. Really loving the game so far.

Karish

Had a 0-0 Diamond Dynasty online match in the bottom of the ninth. Both of us were throwing a 1 hitter. First pitch -- game completely crashes back to the PSN dashboard. sad!

friz898

Hi! New to this thread.

You may have seen me in other threads such as The Show 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16. Although usually just a drive by poster! I think the last time I posted was when I was having trouble with USB drives for Sounds with the Show in last years version.

Now! Ontopic.

I finally opened my copy of '17 today. I bought it on release and had it preordered like every year, but just hadn't had time to mess with it.

I've only played 3 RttS continuation games but here are my first takeaways:

1. My RttS hitter named "Joe Hitter" who was created in the first year you could carry over, I think 14 or 15...anyway, he's on year 2033, and the first thing the game did when I loaded up was have the media talking to me in a Q/A session about how old my character was. That was new. I've been playing a ton, I've never simmed a game.

2. A lot of the things seem the same, and that's a good thing, however, I hit a slow chopper back to the pitcher, and that framerate of me running to first while the pitcher fields it on the fly was disgusting. I mean, like slide-show frame-rate. It truly looked like MLB '12 did on the Vita. God I hope that isn't normal. I don't remember 14-16 being that bad, ever.

3. Speaking of feeling slow. This year, for some reason when I do a normal swing in the batters view, it seems to slow down during the actual swing. It seems so very sluggish, it makes me feel like I'm swinging late with a 100 lb bat, but the game says "just early" or "just late" or whatever. What's really weird, is that when I have two strikes and I do the contact swing, it seems to go at the normal pace.

4. I'm continuing my plan from the last few games of playing until they make me retire Joe Hitter. When I do, I originally was considering playing a Closer or Starting Pitcher in the Show...but you guys have me intrigued about this Diamond Dynasty mode. That's the one that is like baseball card teams that you create and trade etc?

I'll post any other questions or comments as they come to me. I plan to stay here (in this thread) a while this year!

Edit: Oh ya, and LOL at Harold Reynolds. He's...amusing. "I liked what they did last night and they got the win, if they can do that tonight, I look for them to win again"

Also, now I hear "What do you think H.R." instead of "E.K." haha. What's with the initials MV?

Still can't get any more missions in franchise and now the calendar overlay gets stuck on top of my manage roster screen. This is incredibly irritating...

Couleurs

Also, now I hear "What do you think H.R." instead of "E.K." haha. What's with the initials MV?

Maybe he is obsessed with initials the same way he is obsessed with reliever heights. He ALWAYS mentions how tall the reliever is when they come in the game.

Ryan Braun post-game reward! That goes nicely with the Villar I got a few days ago. Guess I'll finish the Brewers collection

Oh, it's an 89 Axford if you lock in the whole thing.....hmmm, is that worth locking in Braun and Villar

GravyButt

Anyway to save in a middle of a franchise game? Got to leave in a few and having an awesome pitchers dual. Would like to save and resume when I get home.

If so, how? Thanks!

First MLB The Show since 14, they've made huge strides!

Haven't been this put on by a sports game in a long time, maybe back to NHL 07.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm hooked. This game has come a long way since 14, and it was an awesome game then already!

Top Bottom