• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

sh1fty

I've spent over $120 on packs and have yet to receive one diamond player. I'm an idiot and deserve this.

That's definitely on the bad side of luck. I've opened probably about 150-160 packs and pulled 3-4 diamonds.. Betts, Strasburg, Griffey Cleats and maybe a sponsorship.

Considering how many variants there are above the basic players (rookies, legends, flashback, etc.) you'd think they'd buff the drop rates a bit for us.. but they are probably raking in cash from those packs so they won't.

That's definitely on the bad side of luck. I've opened probably about 150-160 packs and pulled 3-4 diamonds.. Betts, Strasburg, Griffey Cleats and maybe a sponsorship.

Considering how many variants there are above the basic players (rookies, legends, flashback, etc.) you'd think they'd buff the drop rates a bit for us.. but they are probably raking in cash from those packs so they won't.

Surely they use all that extra money on capable servers

Rommel

Finally completed the Nationals epic. Took forever to hit 5 HR's with Werth. Funny thing it was actually raking pretty good for me but was a doubles machine and just missing HR's all over the place. Sweet sweet Dawson.

I'll admit I spent close if not over $500 on the game last year. $100 base game, and three times $100 stub purchases. I bought my team. This year I have a little one due in June and my priorties have naturally changed. I bought the $100 version and through promotions and the stubs given with the deluxe, I bought a 50 pack bundle for $15 extra bucks. Then every 1000 stubs I buy a pack and I've been lucky this year. I have packed a bunch of golds, packed Harper and 3 diamond equipments which I sell for more packs.

I'm rocking.

Trea Turner
Harper
Justin Turner
Created player at catcher 97 overall.
Nelson Cruz
Rizzo
Lorenzo Cain
Brock Holt for diamond mission with Murphy on bench
One gold pitcher and 4 silvers

Anyone know why this game has been out of stock on Amazon for like, weeks and weeks?

My local Best Buy has not had it in stock for 2-3 weeks. I searched all local Best Buys within a couple hundred miles - like 1 or 2 had it in stock and 15-20 showed out of stock. It's hard to find...

I'll admit I spent close if not over $500 on the game last year. $100 base game, and three times $100 stub purchases. I bought my team. This year I have a little one due in June and my priorties have naturally changed. I bought the $100 version and through promotions and the stubs given with the deluxe, I bought a 50 pack bundle for $15 extra bucks. Then every 1000 stubs I buy a pack and I've been lucky this year. I have packed a bunch of golds, packed Harper and 3 diamond equipments which I sell for more packs.

I'm rocking.

Trea Turner
Harper
Justin Turner
Created player at catcher 97 overall.
Nelson Cruz
Rizzo
Lorenzo Cain
Brock Holt for diamond mission with Murphy on bench
One gold pitcher and 4 silvers

How did you get a 50 pack bundle for 15 bucks?

GravyButt

Question on fielding. What am I doing wrong? Ill preload my base to throw it to but no matter what my guys will always stop play with the ball and take their sweet time and throw the ball. Seems especially apparent on double plays.

Anyway to field the damn ball and launch it instead of wasting 2-3 seconds? Had quite a few guys be safe because of it.

Oh and anyway to edit player stats when already in a franchise? Few AAA guys I want to bring up but their stats are abysmal.

jacobs34

I'm having a really hard time staying motivated to play the game after a couple of weeks.

I've put the work in to beat Conquest and get the diamond players from Conquering the divisions. I've put a lot of work into the team epics and are closing in on some major milestones in the career missions. Everyone on my diamond dynasty team is either diamond or high gold... but... I just can't get over the amount of freezing, teleporting and queing that still happens online. Even when online games are playing "fine" there are still pitches that glitch out/teleport and there are one or two times every game when something wonky happens on the field that is completely out of the players control.

It's really taken the joy out of the game for me, which is a shame because I think they do a great job with how diamond dynasty is laid out and would love to be more into actually playing the games. I'm going to take a week or two off and hope that they really nail down what is going wrong server side, because even after the patch today the games were not great. It's really a shame.

Quake1028

My local Best Buy has not had it in stock for 2-3 weeks. I searched all local Best Buys within a couple hundred miles - like 1 or 2 had it in stock and 15-20 showed out of stock. It's hard to find...

All of my local BB stores have it, it's just something weird going on with Amazon. Like, right now, through Amazon Warehouse Deals, you can luckily buy a USED copy for $60.84 PLUS tax. What a fantastic deal!

hunchback

I just got my first diamond after 30+ packs. It's the starting pitcher for the Cubs, Jake Arieta. Should I sell him for stubs? I can get around 40k for that one. I'm mostly just playing against the computer or the RTTS. Should I sell that card to get more packs?

sh1fty

I just got my first diamond after 30+ packs. It's the starting pitcher for the Cubs, Jake Arieta. Should I sell him for stubs? I can get around 40k for that one. I'm mostly just playing against the computer or the RTTS. Should I sell that card to get more packs?

Personally I would sell him for more packs. Opening another 40 would give you a chance to pull another diamond, while also giving you the chance to get some gold players for your lineup and make progress on your collections.

Having a diamond pitcher is less exciting than a position player as well as your starting pitcher is always chosen randomly.

Lastly, he's currently got a 4.66 ERA so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he gets downgraded into a gold if he keeps pitching poorly.

Opening another 40 would give you a chance to pull another diamond, while also giving you the chance to get some gold players for your lineup and make progress on your collections.

You know and I know damn well he ain't getting another diamond from those 40 packs

sh1fty

You know and I know damn well he ain't getting another diamond from those 40 packs

Most likely not, but even grabbing another 1-2 golds and a bunch of silvers ontop of what he got in his initial 30 packs would make his team better overall.

All depends on what you're playing for and what you consider fun in this game... I love cracking open packs, doing collections and messing around on the market with my duplicates.

I love it when my group of mostly silvers beats out a team full of golds and diamonds on head to head season.

Granted, silver players only compare to diamonds/golds as platoon players with usually worse defense, but it can work out.

For example if I face a starting left handed pitcher I'm fucked. A lot of my key hitters are left handed and a few of my good right handed hitters like Breakout Dante Bichette and Rookie Matt Holiday hit righties much better than lefties oddly enough. And my only diamond is the 93 Curtis Granderson who hits lefties for shit.

BTW guys, J.D Martinez rakes. Great card. And I think his vision rating is glitched. His vision is supposed to be his weak point as it's in the 40's but for some reason his PCI is always still pretty big. Maybe it's because he's got high contact and high power, which offsets the low vision? In fact, I'm not even sure how those stats effect PCI. You would think a player with high contact would have a good PCI, but isn't PCI size dependent on the vision stat?

hunchback

Most likely not, but even grabbing another 1-2 golds and a bunch of silvers ontop of what he got in his initial 30 packs would make his team better overall.

All depends on what you're playing for and what you consider fun in this game... I love cracking open packs, doing collections and messing around on the market with my duplicates.

I sold it. I didn't get a diamond but had a blast opening all of the packs. I got a bunch of Mariners which is cool. I also got some nice equipment for my player.

They definitely need to improve the flip rate for diamonds.

I love it when my group of mostly silvers beats out a team full of golds and diamonds on head to head season.

Granted, silver players only compare to diamonds/golds as platoon players with usually worse defense, but it can work out.

For example if I face a starting left handed pitcher I'm fucked. A lot of my key hitters are left handed and a few of my good right handed hitters like Breakout Dante Bichette and Rookie Matt Holiday hit righties much better than lefties oddly enough. And my only diamond is the 93 Curtis Granderson who hits lefties for shit.

BTW guys, J.D Martinez rakes. Great card. And I think his vision rating is glitched. His vision is supposed to be his weak point as it's in the 40's but for some reason his PCI is always still pretty big. Maybe it's because he's got high contact and high power, which offsets the low vision? In fact, I'm not even sure how those stats effect PCI. You would think a player with high contact would have a good PCI, but isn't PCI size dependent on the vision stat?

Yep. J.D. Martinez crushes shit on my team all the time.

Got fed up with the Cards sending me up to the bigs too early and then benching me for playing like shit with an underdeveloped player so I just started acting like a petulant dickhead and trying to force a trade.

Got traded to the Reds after my second season and I'm hitting around .330, leading the team in home runs and got selected to the All Star Game.

Oh and because I still harbour a massive grudge, every time we play the Cards I lower the difficulty to rookie or beginner and get 4 hits and a home run in every game. Get fucked Matheny you stupid cunt.

Its interesting how I hit better under 4k mode. Obviously the higher resolution provides better detail and more clarity, but I'm not sure if its holding 60 fps during the pitching hitting interface. I know it dips a lot during cutscene transition and on defense, but that doesn't matter. Only the hitting interface really requires 60 fps (strike zone camera angle). Is there a fps analysis of this game anywhere?

sh1fty

Making really good progress in Conquest... I think I'm up to 7 or 8 strongholds. It's pretty much down to me with the left part of the country and the Blue Jays with the right. This mode is pretty cool but it takes a while to warm up to, I couldn't get into it last year because it's intimidating to start.

One of my post game rewards (even though I've been playing on Rookie) was 87 Lucroy... so I sold him and picked up 88 Nelson Cruz and 87 Justin Turner... I think both of these guys could turn diamond soon.

ukas

Making really good progress in Conquest... I think I'm up to 7 or 8 strongholds. It's pretty much down to me with the left part of the country and the Blue Jays with the right. This mode is pretty cool but it takes a while to warm up to, I couldn't get into it last year because it's intimidating to start.

One of my post game rewards (even though I've been playing on Rookie) was 87 Lucroy... so I sold him and picked up 88 Nelson Cruz and 87 Justin Turner... I think both of these guys could turn diamond soon.

I finally jumped into this on Saturday and got everyone down to just their strongholds. I have about 6 more to go and then I'm finished. I suggest everyone starts here because it opens up a lot of missions as you progress through the initial ones. Let alone get free packs and a decent amount of money as you take over territory.

Also, I ran across some awesome base running yesterday by Tulowitzki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMs6wZEMRqA

sh1fty

Anyone care to speculate on cards that could jump into Gold or Diamond soon? One of my favourite parts of DD is following MLB players who are performing well and making sure I nab a copy of their card while they're cheap, in hopes they'll be upgraded to gold or diamond. Most would do this to sell for profit, but others (like myself) might do this to be able to field a roster full of golds/diamonds without having to buy a million packs.

Who else do you guys think might rise? Here are some players playing pretty well IRL that could get a bump in the next few weeks:

Potential Diamonds
Nelson Cruz (88 Gold)
Yu Darvish (89 Gold)
Justin Turner (87 Gold)
Giancarlo Stanton (88 Gold)

Potential Golds
Eric Thames (82 Silver) - already priced like a gold though...
Aaron Judge (81 Silver)
Ryan Zimmerman (82 Silver)
Charlie Blackmon (84 Silver)
Gio Gonzalez (81 Silver)
Starlin Castro (82 Silver)
Jean Segura (83 Silver)
Marcell Ozuna (83 Silver)
Ervin Santana (82 Silver)
Ivan Nova (82 Silver)
Anthony Rendon (83 Silver)
Kevin Pillar (80 Silver)
Andrew Benintedi (79 Bronze)
Eugenio Saurez (76 Bronze)
Avisail Garcia (76 Bronze)
Mitch Haniger (76 Bronze)

What a great night in The Show. I'm around 853 in the H2H season ranking and I play a game and win and it takes me into the 870's. Feeling good about my game, I decide to play another and after 4 innings, up 2-0, my opponent quits so my rating hits 885. I was like I'm good lets get the WS so I play another. I win 2-1 in a full 9 innings and the game gives me exactly 15 ranking points to give me 900 and I'm in! I get that 97 Goldy!

Turn in the missions, and sell some doubles and I have 3k in stubs and decide to open some packs. Buy 3 and in the 2nd I open up Mookie! I don't need him so I sell him and then I'm able to buy Max and Strausburg, as I already packed Harper, Turner, and Murphy in the first 2 weeks and I have the Nats collection which also earns me 91 Jason Werth.

After all of that I had about 12k in stubs leftover so I buy all packs and I kid you not, I packed Andrew Miller. I don't need Bullpen help so I decided I wanted Corey Seager on my team do give me another good lefty with some pop. I then started working on the Nats Team Epic so I can get that 99 Dawson and I got halfway through so I should get it tomorrow.

In one night, I gained.

97 Paul Goldshmidt
93 Max Scherzer
90 Stephen Strausburg
91 Jason Werth
90 Corey Seager
99 Andre Dawson

Damn

By the way do you buy your packs in bundles or individually?

I've heard speculation that individually does better. As does opening on the computer/phone. But I don't know how true it is...

Damn

By the way do you buy your packs in bundles or individually?

I've heard speculation that individually does better. As does opening on the computer/phone. But I don't know how true it is...

If I have 12k in stubs, I buy the bundle and 2 individuals. Open the bundle first and then it says I have 12 packs to open.

Couleurs

How is this one compared to last years?

Do you play entirely offline? If so, it's great. RTTS got a lot of changes and is tons of fun, franchise is pretty much the same but still fun. Little additions like increased hit variety and new commentary are nice too.

Do you play online? Absolute dumpster fire this year, with massive server issues way worse than last year, with no indication that things are going to get any better soon. It's so bad that even conquest gets fucked over despite being an offline mode, as your games tend to just disappear into the void and aren't counted since they get sent to a queue that never actually processes it.

Just capped off my 40th franchise year with a 125 win season. Franchise mode needs to be patched though. Why does my budget stay the same after my 19th World Series?

This years version is extremely disappointing to me. I just don't have fun at all. Online is a huge pain in the ass. It really sucks. I'll probably wait a few years to pick this series back up now.

Team looking nice. Get that 97 Goldy next week also.

EllHg2z.jpg

Team looking nice. Get that 97 Goldy next week also.

EllHg2z.jpg

Must be nice to have that dawson

I have to be stuck with peasants like hardware McCutchen and all star Cain :(

Catchers in this game blow. I decided I'd rather get prime Lucroy instead of Posada (also because it's way cheaper) but I got a feeling a better catcher is on the way

Top Bottom