• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Couleurs

Kinda disappointing since that's what we got for last year's server issues when this year's problems are far more severe and have lasted a lot longer, but oh well.

I got my 10 pack but I'm waiting till tonight to open it when I'm sitting in my hotel room bored as hell with fuck else to do

I got 4 Marcell Ozunas and 5 Chris Devenskis and 4 Starlin Castros. Give them the bump!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How often do they do events? Is it only once a month? Only trophy I need to get this plat lol. Enjoy this game a lot when the servers aren't completely on fire. Haven't spend any cash on stubs, only diamond player I've gotten so far has been syndergaard oh well. Will have another 50k of stubs after tonight, should probably just buy the players I want instead of packs which seem like a bad investment

Does it matter what mode was played in the timeframe for these packs and stubs?

Edit: got my packs I pulled gold Justin Turner. Everything else was basically garbage.

TechOne

I got a lot of bronze cards and a few silvers in my 10 packs. I might as well save my 11k stubs until I have enough to buy Beltre since I doubt I'll get him in a pack anytime soon.

ukas

How often do they do events? Is it only once a month? Only trophy I need to get this plat lol. Enjoy this game a lot when the servers aren't completely on fire. Haven't spend any cash on stubs, only diamond player I've gotten so far has been syndergaard oh well. Will have another 50k of stubs after tonight, should probably just buy the players I want instead of packs which seem like a bad investment

If you're going for the 25 players per team those can be bought on the cheap. Going for the full 40 is where it gets expensive because of the diamond players.

sh1fty

New roster update is live.... looks like nobody got bumped to diamond.

Biggest winners were Marcell Ozuna (up to gold 86), Charlie Blackmon (up to gold 86) and Jean Segura (up to gold 85). McCutchen, Zobrist and Villar dropped to a silver.

Weird that guys like Zimmerman, Judge, Castro, Keuchel, Cruz... didn't even budge a single point. Hopefully Keuchel keeps pitching well and gets bumped to diamond, I bought him this morning for 14K and his price has already dropped to 9K.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So is there a reason to buy 50 packs at once instead of 20? Seems kind of dumb that it's (extremely) marginally worse in terms of value. As someone who did the 50 x 2 times I feel cheated out of my one freebie silver (never got anything better than a silver from either though)

So is there a reason to buy 50 packs at once instead of 20? Seems kind of dumb that it's (extremely) marginally worse in terms of value. As someone who did the 50 x 2 times I feel cheated out of my one freebie silver (never got anything better than a silver from either though)

50 packs only have 7 toppers,whereas 20 packs get you 3 toppers each and 10 packs get you 1 topper. So yeah buying 50 pack bundles really is useless. If it'd have come with 8 or even 9 it wouldn't be pointless.

Rommel

Of course I invest in a few Tanaka's... promptly has the worst start of his career. I believe I've also doomed Aaron Sanchez and Carlos Carrasco with my heavy investments in them.

Just so you guys know the market is going crash when the season rewards go out (I guess sometime tomorrow). A shit ton of golds and diamonds will be flooding the market which is going to lower the value of everything.

So if you're going to sell something sell it now, and make sure you wait to buy after the crash.

I pulled Yelich from my reward pack and promptly sold it for 5k

Decided to pick up Beltre and Lucroy to finish the Rangers so I can get 97 Kinsler

This is all a conspiracy theory

Shit ain't gonna crash
(I hope it does)

5yqnw3917xxy.jpg

If you're going to buy - do it noiw. You'll be getting a lot of cards at 10%+ lower than market value. Some a lot more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I see this on sale and I'm just wondering, for someone who just wants a casual baseball game and the last game I played was EA's MLB game, is this casual friendly? I mean, outside of that RBI baseball mode of course.

I see this on sale and I'm just wondering, for someone who just wants a casual baseball game and the last game I played was EA's MLB game, is this casual friendly? I mean, outside of that RBI baseball mode of course.

Putting the game on the easiest settings, then - yeah - it's not too tough.

But the game is skill oriented through and through. Make sure you play around with various pitch and hitting styles (and camera angles) to your suiting.

I would say so. Besides Retro mode, they have added some tutorial tips at the beginning of the game to help you get started.

You can choose "directional" hitting at first so you don't have to aim your bat and it's focused on timing, pitch location, and player stats instead. The pitching modes are pretty simple (except for analog), so pick what you like best there.

Once you get a handle on Beginner difficulty, I would recommend switching to dynamic difficulty, which "levels up or down" as your performance increases or decreases.

In settings, you can also automate base running, moving the fielder, and throwing defensively as you see fit.

As long as you take a few minutes to get your settings right, The Show can be a very rewarding experience, even for casual play.

Edit: One thing I will add is that there is no option for automatic substitution/bullpen management, a feature that Power Pros had that was nice for beginners. The bullpen management is fairly simple, though.

When you start noticing your pitcher getting tired (his energy meter will turn from green to yellow, then red, and you'll get messages at the top of the screen), press up on the d-pad and select bullpen, then select a pitcher to warm up. Check in on them every batter or so when first playing to get a feel for how long it takes to fill the warm up meter. When their meter is about 3/4 filled, select the pitcher and choose "ready and waiting" so they don't wear themselves out if you're not putting them in right away. "Stretch and toss" will get a pitcher slowly warmed up to half way ready at max, and is good for certain situations.

As for batter subbing, while it's not mandatory, if you're not familiar with double switching, I would recommend playing with American League teams at first. Double switching is hard to explain, and it took me a while to wrap my head around it, so when you're ready, look it up and play some practice games with National League teams to try it out. As I said, it's not mandatory, but very useful in certain situations.

Anyways, sorry for rambling. Hope this helps.

I've been sitting on 160k+ stubs and I let Kershaw's price rise back up :(

Really was clueless on what to do with it. Could go a lot of different directions but I really wanted to pick up one of the rarest diamonds and not have to worry about it anymore.

I could also open hundreds of packs..............

Speaking of Kershaw, he's only got 4 pitches this year. They took his sinker out I think. Makes him a lot less effective IMO...

Rommel

Just picked up Warren Spahn from a daily player epic. Not very hard,

Tier 1: convert 2 Legend cards
Tier 2: Strike out 60 with Legend pitchers in Diamond Dynasty (knocked that out quickly while grinding out team epics)
Tier 3: Trade in Legend cards in total of 5000 value

Not bad picking up a diamond pitcher for half an evenings work.

I'm one Johnny Damon triple away from Ted Williams rookie card... going to grind away in the Polo Ground for awhile.

sh1fty

The market has completely flooded with the Gold 86 Liriano flashback thanks to the online rewards. Managed to nab him for about 1300 stubs. Pretty good deal for an 86 gold lefty pitcher.

The market has completely flooded with the Gold 86 Liriano flashback thanks to the online rewards. Managed to nab him for about 1300 stubs. Pretty good deal for an 86 gold lefty pitcher.

That'll be a nice budget pitcher for this week's event

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yes it's Canadian friendly. There are a ton of control options and it does take a while to wrap your head around that stuff. Personally recommend you stick with zone hitting and meter for pitching, they are the most intuitive imo. Pure analog is a nightmare for me anyway

Also these 4k single packs for the event are a total waste of stubs Got 2 terrible low 70 flashbacks sigh

Rommel

Yes it's Canadian friendly. There are a ton of control options and it does take a while to wrap your head around that stuff. Personally recommend you stick with zone hitting and meter for pitching, they are the most intuitive imo. Pure analog is a nightmare for me anyway

Also these 4k single packs for the event are a total waste of stubs Got 2 terrible low 70 flashbacks sigh

Yah I picked up a few and got a DeGrom but the flashbacks sucked. So I just ended up buying Yount and Garvey on the market for 80k stubs between them. Garvey just destroys lefties. It's interesting to see his 47/92 R/L power split.

ukas

I actually pulled a 60 flashback. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Alright, I'll probably pick it up since for some reason the steelbook edition here is 50 bucks. Why not. lol

I assume this card thing you guys are talking about is the equivalent of the EA UT stuff that I can safely ignore.

Rommel

Completed the Mets and A's team epics last night.

For some reason I had the most difficult time getting 10 hits with rookie Nolan Arenado. Once I moved from rookie to veteran games he became worthless. I hit .150 with him.

I've finished the first 2 tiers of each team epic now. Grinding out the veteran games now.

Had about 210k lying around. "buy a 20 pack they said. Worse thing that happens is you get nothing and still have 190k"

Got dick and bought another

Got even more dick

There's 40k down the drain. At least I finished the Brewers and still have enough for Kershaw.... ;_;

Rommel

Just moved to playing on a BENQ 1ms console gaming monitor. Night and day difference with my hitting vs my 4k TV. My pitching timing was completely out of wack and took a couple games to get back completely.

Just moved to playing on a BENQ 1ms console gaming monitor. Night and day difference with my hitting vs my 4k TV. My pitching timing was completely out of wack and took a couple games to get back completely.

I was thinking about going in this direction. Buying a low lag monitor and moving all of my consoles to it from my HDTV. MLB was one of those reasons because even with game mode on my tv I don't feel like the lag situation is all that great.

Monitor is the best and it's not even close. Playing on my TV seems so whack now

So I'm trying to get a Kershaw, some other bitch is trying to outbid me...got my Brewers epic Lucroy, had about 49K left over, didn't feel like finishing the Rangers and wanted to roll the dice and decided to blow it on a pair of 20 packs. My best cards were Greg Holland and Jean Segura. Fucking pissed I was.

Rommel

Monitor is the best and it's not even close. Playing on my TV seems so whack now

So I'm trying to get a Kershaw, some other bitch is trying to outbid me...got my Brewers epic Lucroy, had about 49K left over, didn't feel like finishing the Rangers and wanted to roll the dice and decided to blow it on a pair of 20 packs. My best cards were Greg Holland and Jean Segura. Fucking pissed I was.

Yah I had similar luck after I sold Freeman. Got Verlander and a few decent selling silvers and commons (Sanchez, Gordon, Bellinger x2)

The rest of my Freeman windfall I invested in Kyle Hendricks cards

Here is the monitor I purchased. I got a refurbished one for $229

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H5KKQUQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's OK, I had enough to finish rangers... Needed Lucroy and beltre but I changed my minds and bought packs and got a couple non player diamonds..... Kept buying packs every time I had stubs and got crap lol

Now I used mission reward stubs to finish rangers so I don't blow it on packs again, I hope Kinsler is awesome

Top Bottom