• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile gaming: coming into its own finally?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I commute to work by train about 90 minutes a day. To pass the time, I play on my Android tablet. There are a plethora of games that I enjoy and would gladly put my gamer reputation on the line for. It is a quality platform. I beat games like The Banner Saga and Shadowrun on it exclusively.

mAcOdIn

In the west.

with the launch of Fire Emblem and with Yugioh a few weeks earlier, and Super Mario Run, it feels like mobile games are stepping up their game.

i have spent more time this week gaming on my phone than pc. does anyone else feel like this? and could this be the beginning of better and more "console" like experiences geared for mobile play on the phones?
No.

I'll be honest, I don't know shit about Yugioh, I played Fire Emblem and no, Fire Emblem's not representative of mobile gaming coming into it's own. Fire Emblem Heroes is like a quarter of an actual game right now. It's crap. If that's a shining example of mobile gaming then mobile gaming's fucked.

But to turn that around instead of Nintendo being a bastion of mobile gaming I'd say it's actually the likes of Square Enix that put in some real damn work. They tried. They released full games on the phone all the time. Classic beloved games. Just the prices generally suck. They also released stuff like Deus Ex, Hitman and Lara Croft Go. Those are examples of good games.

Fire Emblem Heroes may one day turn into a good game, many gatcha games start out lacking content and features but at the moment I wouldn't point to it as an example of anything. Terra Battle had more strategy and content when it launched. I think mobile gaming generally still sucks but if you think Fire Emblem represents the pinnacle of the medium I encourage you to look around more.

BrunOz

never thought I would get hooked into mobile gaming but now I'm addicted for Yugioh Duel Links for 20+ days lol

mAcOdIn

When you can make comparisons to Terra Battle w.r.t amount of content...
Yep! Says it all really.

Terra Battle was an alright game if it had an end and wasn't gatcha based, it was in a weird spot mechanically I guess, don't know how to describe it. Not enough to do to get you to play every day for years and without that kinda little incentive to really plunk down hard cash for characters but mechanically there wasn't actually anything wrong with it's gameplay. I heard it has PVP now so maybe I should check it back out.

But Fire Emblem is worse on all fronts. It's uglier. The music's worse. It's shorter. The UI's hot garbage. If it weren't Nintendo behind it I'd say the game was doomed but with Nintendo and an established IP, I figured I'd give it a chance to mature.

But several of the gatcha games aren't exactly terrible it's just once you slap the free to play scheme onto it things become weird. People payed for Tetris, Bejeweled, Columns and the like, Puzzle and Dragon's isn't really worse gameplay wise. Monster Strike was actually a fun concept and had fun multiplayer. That freemium model just does shit to games and the player. Obviously it must make them more money than selling their game for 5 bucks or whatever, but now it seems like one has to take into account whether something will succeed or not into account under this model. Terra Battle wasn't a bad game to power through in my opinion but it's really a terrible daily game, there's very little reason to hit it up every day. Right now I feel the same for Fire Emblem, well a little worse actually.

As far as free to play games go I'd say Fire Emblem Heroes is doomed. I just can't really see a long term hook there. Obviously they can keep releasing more and more stages like any other free to play game but what else can they do? Are they going to start making up new Heroes once they run out of established ones to encourage you to pull? And will power creep be a thing at all? Is the extra +level for a favorite character supposed to be the incentive to keep pulling? Will there ever be a reason to even have friends outside of them giving you gifts? Or do they care little about it and just plan to milk the hardcore fans willing to spend money just to get some artwork of their favorite character on their phone with nothing to do? It all seems so half baked when you consider how late Nintendo is to the party and how other games have already given a pretty good template for this sort of shit. Granted, they probably don't want to do everything off the bat as you want big events and milestone releases but still, things don't feel good for it.

duckroll

Yep! Says it all really.

Terra Battle was an alright game if it had an end and wasn't gatcha based, it was in a weird spot mechanically I guess, don't know how to describe it. Not enough to do to get you to play every day for years and without that kinda little incentive to really plunk down hard cash for characters but mechanically there wasn't actually anything wrong with it's gameplay. I heard it has PVP now so maybe I should check it back out.

Terra Battle is the best gacha game ever made and one of the best mobile games in the world. So you are wrong. Sorry.

Fire Emblem Heroes launched with 9 story chapters of 5 stages each, every stage being a single map. It ends on a cliffhanger and basically no story whatsoever. Terra Battle launched with 30 story chapters of 10 stages each, every stage having multiple battle maps. It ends with an epic final boss battle, a story ending, and proper ending credits.

Pls.

mAcOdIn

Terra Battle is the best gacha game ever made and one of the best mobile games in the world. So you are wrong. Sorry.

Fire Emblem Heroes launched with 9 story chapters of 5 stages each, every stage being a single map. It ends on a cliffhanger and basically no story whatsoever. Terra Battle launched with 30 story chapters of 10 stages each, every stage having multiple battle maps. It ends with an epic final boss battle, a story ending, and proper ending credits.

Pls.
I think it'd(Terra Battle) be way better as a non gatcha game honestly, and frankly I think that's praise. My only gripe with Terra Battle is that for a long time once you beat it that was it, you either kept saving or buying energy to get new characters for no reason. The collabs at the start were slow and infrequent and for a long time all there was were the Eidilons or whatever they were called to go for. Terra Battle, sadly, never really seemed to have the release schedule to warrant being a free to play game in my opinion. Edit- And that might actually make it the best gatcha game, where the game has merit that exists outside the gatcha.

Fire Emblem on the other hand, you don't need to tell me it's inferior to Terra Battle, I already know. There's no comparison.

duckroll

I think it'd(Terra Battle) be way better as a non gatcha game honestly, and frankly I think that's praise. My only gripe with Terra Battle is that for a long time once you beat it that was it, you either kept saving or buying energy to get new characters for no reason. The collabs at the start were slow and infrequent and for a long time all there was were the Eidilons or whatever they were called to go for. Terra Battle, sadly, never really seemed to have the release schedule to warrant being a free to play game in my opinion. Edit- And that might actually make it the best gatcha game, where the game has merit that exists outside the gatcha.

Fire Emblem on the other hand, you don't need to tell me it's inferior to Terra Battle, I already know. There's no comparison.

I mean, if the critique is that they blew their load at launch with too much generosity and didn't have any artificially gated stuff to make it feel like content is coming out regularly, then sure. But they were honest about it. They released everything they had, and started working no more stuff after release. It took a long time because *shock* good content is hard! Even today, with a much more regular schedule of releases, you can tell which events are "A" events and which ones are "B" events which have less effort put into them just to have something to bide the time.

Would Terra Battle be better as a paid app with the characters being recruited through story mode and in quests? Absolutely. Would anyone buy such a game, probably just me, so there won't be any new content after that at all. The multiplayer in Terra Battle took forever to come out, but when it did, it was really impressive and to this day I think it is one of the most impressive forms of actual realtime co-op and PVP in a F2P mobile game. I'm glad it exists.

Now, they just need to release Matsuno World.... *itsbeen84years.gif*

Lanrutcon

The new Fire Emblem game is really pretty and slick, but one of the worst mobile games I've ever played. Got bored after 3 days. There's almost nothing to do, the tiny map and army sizes make combat a quick burst damage exercise with almost no tactics and the campaign has no depth.

Which is sad, since the sprite work is lovely.

Falk

that puzzling face

Imagine an alternate timeline where terra battle had new content every other week

(yeah yeah it's gotten way better than the 2015 drought)

I mean, if the critique is that they blew their load at launch with too much generosity and didn't have any artificially gated stuff to make it feel like content is coming out regularly, then sure. But they were honest about it.

Yeah I mean, basically, that in itself was the issue - it wasn't structured as a gacha game aimed at retention and was rather slow in changing gears.

nubbe

FE:H is fine as a Lite mobile game, which is Nintendo's intent
But there's other Gacha games that offer far more and deeper game play

But FE:H will probably be quite different in a year, depending on how much resources will be put into it.

FinalAres

So what you're saying is that because Nintendo are now releasing gatcha games now, gaming has come into its own. But when all those other companies were doing it before it was the pits?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wouldn't think so. nintendo have got pokemon, fire emblem, and mario so far with animal crossing at some point. it's more popular as a result of course but for me it still isn't something i'm interested in. touch screens ruin it for me. i just don't enjoy playing games with them.

Nere

Personally I will never be able to feel comfortable with touch screen controls only, I want buttons and no not some huge uglyass peripheral, therefore I disagree.

duckroll

Yeah I mean, basically, that in itself was the issue - it wasn't structured as a gacha game aimed at retention and was rather slow in changing gears.

But that's what people said they wanted! Design a good game first before thinking about monetization! We want a complete game story, no episodic shit! We want free mobile games! Sakaguchi gave gamers what they wanted! What happened?!

magnetic

Everybody play Fire Emblem.

It's almost exactly the same design as Puzzle and Dragon, Monster Strike, Brave Frontier and all the other gacha games, just with a mild Fire Emblem skin on top.

I knew it was a gacha game going in and was still disappointed that it looks and feels just like the hundreds of similar titles in the genre. Spend stamina to play, pay outrageous money to get a SLIGHT chance to end up with a character you like.

I'm not saying it can't be still be enjoyable, but it's very derivative in its entire structure, apart from the battle fundamentals.

But I guess now that it has the Nintendo name on it it's suddenly the rebirth of the mobile gaming.

galaxxy

Banned
Mobile games are mobile games. When you're restricted to a touchscreen for input there's not much room for improvement.

Same for home consoles. When you are restricted to a controller for input there's not much room for improvement.

Touchscreens are only another way of input. Maybe the wrong idea it's not to try console-grade games on mobile, but trying to force controler-oriented games to work with a touchscreen.

Starborn

Neo Member
What are some other games you'd recommend besides fire emblem heroes, pokemon go, and super mario run for the android?

Draxal

T E R R A

B A T T L E

Fire Emblem oddly enough reminds me alot of Kancolle, wildly inconsistent art and the damage shots.

Of course, fire emblem has the must punitive stamina system ever, while Kancolle is grind grind grind the game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Mobile has had a lot of beefier games for a long while now with the likes of many original and ports of RPGs and Adventure games and lots more, but it's still a platform I have no interest in using. Even the typical brain teaser mobile games have lost my interest. Pokemon Go is certainly a novelty and unique to that platform but too bare bones for my liking right now. FE and Mario Run just don't appeal to me as I'd rather play their console counterparts rather than these facsimiles. If there is a game I want to actually sit down and spend more than 15 minutes playing I'm going to want to do that on a dedicated gaming device, not my phone or tablet. So this maturing of mobile is kind of meaningless for me.

Crazyorloco

Nope. It feels like we're getting diet versions of games we enjoy. I may be playing on my phone often, but it's not as enjoyable.

Plus the controls on mobile just take away from the great game experiences from dedicated consoles and portables (....and hybrids).

Eh, I'm playing it but I'm really surprised how bog standard it is. Nintendo brought absolutely nothing new to the table here.

I imagine if they put all the features of the 3DS games in people would be too overwhelmed and stop playing. It's a mobile game made to appeal to as much people as possible so i'm not surprised it's basic.

muteki

"Coming into it's own" means different things to different people, but it still seems to me, in comparison to more dedicated portable gaming, that they are still cutting corners and making compromises that don't/no longer need to be made.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Everybody play Fire Emblem.
left me cold (oddly) think it was the glaring 'offers in app purchases' followed by 'place this level five times to get this thing youll probably need later'

think i played about 4 levels and deleted it. god i hate f2p.

mario got full price out of me immediately though, i guess im old

What are some other games you'd recommend besides fire emblem heroes, pokemon go, and super mario run for the android?
Sorcery series
80 Days
The Room series
Monument Valley
Wayward Souls
Dark Echo
A Dark Room
Card Crawl
Solitairica
Reigns
Lara Croft GO, Hitman GO
Zombie Exodus , Zombie Exodus Safe Haven
Blackbar
Downwell
Implosion
Space Marshals 2
Inferno 2
Auro
Spider Rite of the Shrouded Moon
Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be
Heroki
Adventures of Poco Eco
The Guides
Divide By Sheep
Gunbrick
Prune
Alto's Adventure
Horizon Chase
Sproggiwood
Crashlands
Swapperoo
Prism
9th Dawn 2
7 Mages
Lost Frontier

Gusy

I'm finding that genres not tipically suited for mobile are getting surprisingly playable.

For example, I've been messing with the Modern Combat and Nova series from Gameloft and learning to aim with the accelerometer. There's a learning curve involved but when it clicks it actually is kinda fun. I even find funny/satirical the way they exagerate the CoD, Halo,Crysis dudebro style of storytelling.

I also love flight sims and they're also very playable with accelerometers. I love chilling with my Cessna in X-Plane. I've also gotten fairly good with the Doom IOS port using the virtual sticks.

Mobile In general is becoming a better platform every day If you are willing to learn the kinks of the touchscreen/accelerometer as an input device.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. There's always been great games. Some are just getting more attention as their major iIP and Nintendo made. Hell, probably some hypocrisy going on as some people that shit on mobile gaming are now playing because Nintendo put out a couple games.

I actually think it's getting progressively worse.
How so? Devs have finally figured out to do good ports. Devs have also nailed down with games works best on touch instead of trying to cram everything onscreen like in the early days. Games are more varied, more advanced and complex in every way. More games are exploring concepts unique to the platform (the tactile puzzles of The Room, the "lost phone" subgenre of Sara Is Missing and Mr Robot). Pretty much every week, there's something good to play.

Harmen

On top of some other things listed, the first two Rayman runners are a lot of fun. Never played the f2p one though.

Rathorial

Unfortunately, this is still a problem, but it's completely invisible unless you're actively looking for stuff like this. Browse the Games section, read mobile-focused sites, and stick to the mobile gaming OTs and community threads, and you will never ever see clones or those other apps

Much like how you won't ever see the hundreds of thousands of flash games or first-time prototypes and so on on PC if you stick to PC sites, the Steam thread, and Popular New Releases on Steam

Ok...that screenshot shows me info I already knew, and it does little to solve my problem. It's just a few curated or editor's choice lists of titles on iOS. Then the generic genre categories, and some top popular or grossing charts. The only meaningful additions Apple has added over the years is segregating out paid games, and replacing "free" with "get" for price on F2P games. Not to mention none of this addresses my point about "accurately learning about my consumption habits or taste", because curated lists and top charts don't learn/adapt to what I like. I own a few games on my old iphone 4s, more on my current Samsung Galaxy S5, and neither service is recommending me useful content based on what I own or like. That's my biggest problem with Google and Apple, they're tools and solutions to this discovery issue aren't unique, they're not fleshed out, they don't or suck at adapting to what I already consume, and they're weaker than multiple other companies.

Valve gets crap for not doing enough with Steam, yet they've at least attempted multiple tools to deal with the influx of games on top of everything in that iOS screenshot. I have recommended lists and an endless discovery queue that react to what games I buy, what games I recommend to others, my playtime in certain games, what my friends recommend, games similar to stuff in my wishlist, and games that fit into a user-generated tagging system with stuff I already own/like. My wishlist will inform me of game pricing changes, I have an activity feed that displays patches/DLC for games I "follow". On top of all that, they still have a better approach to curation, because it's not from one source. Baked into Steam, I have a list of curators constantly recommending new content, and I can follow the few ones that align with my taste in games.

Other good digital ecosystems like Amazon or Netflix work similarly. I can't keep up with every Netflix release, and while the "featured" or editor's choice list they'll show to everyone has some use...it's their automated tools reacting to what I favorite, 4-5 star, and what others consume that lead me to fun new stuff. Google Play/iOS by comparison are just garbage. Steam, Netflix and Amazon just have better tools to help me discover fun content, and they did all that work despite having less content coming out each day to deal with. Gamasutra back in 2015 pointed out that iOS had 500 game (just games) submissions a DAY. If you do the math, iOS gets more games in one year, than Steam has altogether now. It's not a maybe that good games will get buried or unnoticed, it's a fact they do, and contributes to why more articles on gameindustry.biz note mobile dev failures than console or PC. I think it's fine to complain how iOS/Google Play don't make content discovery as easy as other digital storefronts, rather than having to rely on outside sites/tastemakers to pick up the slack. It's not like Apple or Google are poorer than Valve or Netflix.
Each and EVERY site you just listed was already a tastemaker in 2012, with the exceptions of I don't know know the level of mobile coverage Killscreen and GAF provided then. My point still stands that I've not seen lots of new tastemakers come to the table for mobile in the last 5 years. Even places like youtube + twitch feature less new mobile tastemakers vs. new ones entering the already crowded PC/console space. The more tastemakers you have, the more chances all these games from big to small get covered, and that info circulates.
Paid premium games release every week, without fail. They're not hard to find. You literally just have to go to the App Store. They're right there, in Games, with big banners and recommended by curated lists
I could've worded that part better, because my point was that paid premium games are rare compared to F2P releases now, when in the early days of mobile a higher percentage of games were paid vs. F2P. I think it's fair to say F2P has become the dominant business model on the platform, and plenty of devs have noted the difficulties in selling games with a pay up front price tag. Tons of articles have been made about bad F2P business practices, and how F2P has effected the prices of paid premium games. Hell, the devs behind Monument Valley noted complaints for daring to charge $2 for an expansion that cost them half a million to make, and the huge uptick in sales after they got editor's choice...not something every dev gets even if their game is rated well elsewhere.

I've typed too much already, but I still feel my arguments/problems with mobile gaming are valid, especially when it comes to release frequency and content discovery. Games get lost on PC/Console despite better tools, less release frequency and more tastemakers...so yeah Google/Apple could do more to improve mobile gaming, and I think they need to as more content keeps releasing.

Fire Emblem Heroes is the worst Fire Emblem from a gameplay standpoint. It being free excuses, but does not change, that fact. Same with Mario Run vs any mainline Mario title, or any pokemon title vs Pokemon Go.

If all the mobile gaming audience wants is less complex, simpler, and more gambling prone versions of existing games, of course it will always be in a state of "coming into its own" when compared to dedicated devices. It's fast food.

Falk

that puzzling face
If all the mobile gaming audience wants is less complex, simpler, and more gambling prone versions of existing games, of course it will always be in a state of "coming into its own" when compared to dedicated devices. It's fast food.

If gacha games could be likened to ice cream, gacha games based off _____ IP are akin to _____ flavored ice cream.

You can have chocolate, vanilla, coffee, strawberry, heck, durian flavored ice cream, but it's still ice cream, not durian.

More on topic, the enjoyment people get out of gacha games (events, persistent progression, community & comparison of progress, and laughing at people's bad pulls) have marginal overlap with the enjoyment people get out of regular games, but the basic gameplay loop is still a huge factor.

Remember that these games (as a service, yadda yadda) are all very much works in progress. It's very rare to have one launch in anything resembling a retention-worthy state*, since it's feature creep and refinement over the course of years that essentially dictates what they become.

PAD and Granblue were both extremely simple (relatively) when they launched.

*edit: OKAY TERRA BATTLE WAS AWESOME AND A COMPLETE GAME WHEN IT LAUNCHED GO AWAY DUCKROLL

heringer

How so? Devs have finally figured out to do good ports. Devs have also nailed down with games works best on touch instead of trying to cram everything onscreen like in the early days. Games are more varied, more advanced and complex in every way. More games are exploring concepts unique to the platform (the tactile puzzles of The Room, the "lost phone" subgenre of Sara Is Missing and Mr Robot). Pretty much every week, there's something good to play.

I feel like ports and touch controls aren't an issue anymore since... I dunno, 2013? The Room is a 2012 game, it's nothing new. I also disagree on games being more varied and complex. Most games are a 2D (and not even good 2D, most of them look very derivative, not a lot of good pixel art here) puzzle adventure or something. 2D puzzle RPG, 2D puzzle platformer, etc etc. Sometimes we get a 2D shooter or action. Not to mention the f2p social RPG trend that just isn't my thing. There are exceptions of course, but even the exceptions aren't what I would call stellar. There are still quite a few worthwile games, but I feel the niche mobile is gearing towards is just not for me, and I remember being interested in at least a couple of games every week a few years ago. Now if I'm interested in 1 game every 2 months I consider myself lucky.

TheJoRu

I've noticed I'm playing more and more mobile. Clash Royale especially is such a well-built and elegant game that I play a lot every day. It's not innocent in terms of F2P-shenanigans, but it never restricts you from play (stamina or "hearts" or whatever in mobile gaming is the absolute worst) and you can reach very high in rank without ever spending anything (you just might need to play a little longer). I've spent around $8 on it total in six months and I found that to be quite enough so that I never feel that I don't have enough gold or gems or whatever to do what I want to do, so it's not that you either spend nothing or become a whale either.

Fire Emblem Heroes is good too. I do enjoy more intricate games like The Room where you can play long sessions, but I find it works better for my play style on mobile to play quicker sessions with short matches/levels. Looking forward to playing Super Mario Run when it comes out on Android.

Fred-87

Its funny to me that all those video game companies who only make mobile games fail to interest me except for Clash royale.. and a traditional game company comes in and makes mobile games interesting (nintendo) while its not there speciality

Top Bottom