• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod the Dualshock 4 with Xbox One analog sticks

The difference in thumb stick height between the PS4 and xbone is pretty minor. Added height is a benefit as this gives you a larger range of motion and improves accuracy. That is the main selling point for those Freekz thumbstick attachments. Also, I see a few posts talking about resistance. The resistance would be exactly the same as this is determined by the module that the sticks attach to. Any perceived looseness is probably due to not being used to a larger range of motion.

The difference in thumb stick height between the PS4 and xbone is pretty minor. Added height is a benefit as this gives you a larger range of motion and improves accuracy. That is the main selling point for those Freekz thumbstick attachments. Also, I see a few posts talking about resistance. The resistance would be exactly the same as this is determined by the module that the sticks attach to. Any perceived looseness is probably due to not being used to a larger range of motion.

Having taller sticks makes it easier to move the module. I have done this mod and it is looser. You do gain range of motion as well though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just wanted to add that, people recommend that you turn up your sensitivity if you increase the height of your sticks. this is due to the increased range of motion. it takes you longer to move then a certain distance so you might feel like your sticks feel more sluggish.

Because of the video in OP, I...I just noticed that I don't have a reset button anymore. I'm in trouble if my controller needs a resetting in the future.

Orayn

The tension comes from the analog stick module, true, but the force required depends on the stick height because an analog stick is a lever. Making the lever slightly longer is still going to decrease the amount of force you have to apply to displace the stick.

Having taller sticks does decrease the tension on the module. I have done this mod and it is looser. You do gain range of motion as well though.

I've done it myself to both my controllers and these resistance is the same as stock on mine. Don't see how it is physically possible but I can agree to disagree.

Mine aren't some Chinese dupes tho, I have legit MS parts. Maybe that is the difference.

Note to everyone thinking about doing this, or perhaps already done the mod. If you're having a problem with the Xbox One analog stick on your DS4 getting stuck in place upon moving all the way in any direction, open up your controller and loosen up the 1 screw inside the DS4 that connects the main board to the plastic front cover.

I was having a problem where if I was looking to the right, the analog would actually stick in place making the controller near impossible to use properly. I loosened up the screw mentioned above and the tightness and friction problems are gone. You shouldn't be tightening that screw all the way, it adds friction to the movement of the sticks if too tight.

Lucent

I've had my PS4 since launch and my thumbsticks have not chipped away or fallen apart at all. Still look like they did the day I got it.

I own both the X1 and PS4, and while I like the feel of the X1 controller sticks, they feel looser than the PS4 sticks, which probably explains why I wasn't as precise in the Destiny beta on X1 as I was on PS4.

I also prefer the triggers and shoulder buttons on the dualshock 4, so I can't share the same complaint. And I also prefer symmetrical. But I guess my hands aren't as big as some.

Basically saying if these sticks can stay as tight in the dualshock 4 as the original sticks, then I might do this and the dualshock 4 would be perfect for me.

All I did was use my old DS3 KontrolFreek CQCs, did that little trick where you hold a lighter over the prongs on the bottom, bent them in a tiny bit, and now they fit on my DS4 perfectly.

I've had my PS4 since launch and my thumbsticks have not chipped away or fallen apart at all. Still look like they did the day I got it.

I own both the X1 and PS4, and while I like the feel of the X1 controller sticks, they feel looser than the PS4 sticks, which probably explains why I wasn't as precise in the Destiny beta on X1 as I was on PS4.

I also prefer the triggers and shoulder buttons on the dualshock 4, so I can't share the same complaint. And I also prefer symmetrical. But I guess my hands aren't as big as some.

Basically saying if these sticks can stay as tight in the dualshock 4 as the original sticks, then I might do this and the dualshock 4 would be perfect for me.

The sticks have no control over the actual tightness/looseness--that's all on the actual controller board and the mechanism itself. So if you prefer the feel of the actual stick on the Xbone controller, then you should swap it to the DS4 and it'll feel just as tight as the original ones.

I've done it myself to both my controllers and these resistance is the same as stock on mine. Don't see how it is physically possible but I can agree to disagree.

Mine aren't some Chinese dupes tho, I have legit MS parts. Maybe that is the difference.

The tension comes from the analog stick module, true, but the force required depends on the stick height because an analog stick is a lever. Making the lever slightly longer is still going to decrease the amount of force you have to apply to displace the stick.

this is how its physically possible. it is clearly looser. I can't wrap my ahead around someone saying it feels the same but maybe I am the crazy one.

GlamFM

Banned

It's entirely physically possible.

I think it's called leverage effect.

Not sure, german, sorry.

Orayn

this is how its physically possible. it is clearly looser. I can't wrap my ahead around someone saying it feels the same.

It might be that the sockets in reproduction and original Xbox One sticks vary slightly in depth, or that the stick is seated a bit differently on your controllers.

There's this reset button that I remember tossing aside because I couldn't find what it was needed for. I had watched multiple videos of ps4 controllers being disassembled and stil couldn't find where it had to go. Decided it wasn't worth the trouble seing how the whole controller worked perfectly anyway.

Until I saw OP's first link video, where at 5:28 he precisely talks about the reset button and how in case it comes out, how to put it back and where it goes.

Just ordered some Xbox One sticks off Amazon, thanks for the reminder about this. Just don't dig the DS4 sticks, even though they are miles better than the terrible DS3 convex nonsense. I tried two of the popular DS4 thumbstick grip covers and they just didn't feel right to me. They felt like exactly what they are, a cheap rubber grip that was too wide on top of my thumbsticks. Can't wait to get this mod on.

The images of the modified controllers look amazing. The sticks suit the controller so much better and make it look more expensive.

Rubius

I have a Cronus Max, but sadly the Ps4 is not compatible with it for the moment (Need a Ps4 plugged in to work). But I have to say that playing the 360 controller on my Ps3 helped a lot. I have giant bear hands, so for me it was a pain in the hand to play Ps3 games. Cant wait to do the same with the Ps4

Pimpwerx

I have to mention about the GelTabz, and similar stick covers. They limit the throw range on the sticks. You can't push the sticks all the way to the edge of their travel. It doesn't seem to matter, as I think most games have a wide margin at the edges, but just FYI. For all I know, that might be limiting my movement speed in fps, but that can be adjusted with aim sensitivity anyway. PEACE.

ZeroX03

Banned
How can anyone like the DS3 sticks?

Personal preference, we've been over this time and time again. I like 'em, and would probably use them on my PS4 controller if I had the choice.

No preference between PS4 and XB1 sticks though, but I wouldn't mind changing the color of my sticks just for the hell of it.

If you are buying sticks watch out, the ones I got off ebay were VERY VERY loose I had to use some tape on the nubs to make the sticks fit tightly, if anyone knows where they can get very tight fitting sticks please tell me. Also OP where did you get those sticks you're using? They seem quite tight.

With the wrapping tape around the nubs fix they are very tight on the controller, but theres always room for improvement, someone in another thread also suggested a paper wedge for making up that tiny bit of space.

The controller is great, I played it with Destiny with the new sticks and it works perfectly.

Great MOD.

ALSO WARNING WARNING, when you're messing with the piece of PCB that has the rumbbly motors be careful not to break their connection from the board.

Yeah in the video you can see I am lifting it from the rumble motors then sort of putting a finger under the PCB. The entire thing comes out in one piece which is nice.

Clockwork5

Oh man. Watched the video and just imagined myself ripping the cable, pulling out the triggers, cracking plastic and ruining my controllers. Maybe if I start getting the rubber tear ill give it a shot, but I'm not real great at this type of project. Looks like a game changer though, I'm a little jealous.

Oh man. Watched the video and just imagined myself ripping the cable, pulling out the triggers, cracking plastic and ruining my controllers. Maybe if I start getting the rubber tear ill give it a shot, but I'm not real great at this type of project. Looks like a game changer though, I'm a little jealous.

Why don't you just buy the thumb grips then? You'll have improved grip and protect the sticks from possible damage.

mollipen

Can't...say I've heard someone say they want that before.

Because of the way I use analog sticks, concave tops aren't nearly as easy to use as convex ones. My thumb aways rests on the outsides of the sticks, so when the top is convex, I actually have something to push against.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can't say I agree at all. Those DS4 stick top designs are terrible for the way I hold the sticks and constantly have to readjust my thumb. The movement feels nearly identical, IME, and the grippier X1 tops mean I never have to feel like I'm constantly re-seating my thumbs or worrying about slipping off of them even momentarily.
Ironically, I have that issue with PS3. Th DS4 is much better.

ZeroX03

Banned
Because of the way I use analog sticks, concave tops aren't nearly as easy to use as convex ones. My thumb aways rests on the outsides of the sticks, so when the top is convex, I actually have something to push against.

^

This here. DS3 is very comfy for me to use because of this. Also prefer the Wii U Pro Controller to the PS4/XB1 controllers for similar reasons. The DS3's main problem is the spongy triggers.

Lucent

All I did was use my old DS3 KontrolFreek CQCs, did that little trick where you hold a lighter over the prongs on the bottom, bent them in a tiny bit, and now they fit on my DS4 perfectly.

The sticks have no control over the actual tightness/looseness--that's all on the actual controller board and the mechanism itself. So if you prefer the feel of the actual stick on the Xbone controller, then you should swap it to the DS4 and it'll feel just as tight as the original ones.

Good to know, thanks. I mean, I figured the sticks themselves shouldn't have affected the tightness/looseness since they're just, well, sticks. lol.

Honestly the DS4 controller is actually preventing me from buying a PS4. Maybe this might help...

have you spent some time with the DS4? I've had 3 friends all say the same thing and after spending some time with it have changed their minds. ( its not as bad as they thought )

I am not saying it will for you but just wondering.

It might be that the sockets in reproduction and original Xbox One sticks vary slightly in depth, or that the stick is seated a bit differently on your controllers.

This is definitely happening. I had to modify the hole on the sticks for a friend of mine because his didn't sit as deep.

The reason I don't understand is because mine are not much taller. Probably just a mm or two taller. I am aware of how leverage works but I can't see how such a small height increase can make sticks so loose.

It is subjective though, some people are sensitive to different things so I will leave it at that.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
These are the sticks I bought and are rubberized up top which is how the sticks are supposed to be. Cheaper knockoffs will use nothing but plastic.
The actual mod is easy, you just need one small Phillips head screwdriver. Popping open the ds4 is a little difficult the first time but becomes infinitely easier every other time.
As for the sticks? My friend really enjoys them, can't go back to the original ones. I felt the contact area was too small and uncomfortable. L3 and R3 are the feel the same, and resistance felt the same.
I will say that one of the sticks in the beginning had a weird Grindy feel at first but disappears after about an hour of use or a click of the l3 button.
Overall I went back to the gel grips I bought from gamestop with the ds4 sticks.

Kemal86

I probably won't replace my analog sticks, but this thread did give me the motivation to repair my spare DualShock 4. It had fallen off a counter onto the tile floor months ago and jacked the left analog stick pretty bad.

Turns out all I had to do was disassemble the controller and re-set the stick on the grey prong on the motherboard assembly, and all was well. Apparently the fall to the floor had unsnapped it from it's prong/holder mechanism. I also took the opportunity to swap my left and right sticks as the left one had gotten kind of worn down.

It's not that bad really, if you watch the bloopers the reason I couldn't get the thing apart is because I grabbed the wrong controller with the screws still in... The more common thing is the trigger getting pulled off but again, its doesn't break. Once you know how to do it it snaps right it. I can do this mod in 10 minutes or less easy now.

These are the sticks I bought and are rubberized up top which is how the sticks are supposed to be. Cheaper knockoffs will use nothing but plastic.
The actual mod is easy, you just need one small Phillips head screwdriver. Popping open the ds4 is a little difficult the first time but becomes infinitely easier every other time.
As for the sticks? My friend really enjoys them, can't go back to the original ones. I felt the contact area was too small and uncomfortable. L3 and R3 are the feel the same, and resistance felt the same.
I will say that one of the sticks in the beginning had a weird Grindy feel at first but disappears after about an hour of use or a click of the l3 button.
Overall I went back to the gel grips I bought from gamestop with the ds4 sticks.

these are the ones I bought. They feel great.

I kind of want to go back to the DS4 sticks with grips to see the difference.

I'm good...........no point if I use FPS freeks as standards anyways. Would have to buy a new set as the X1 controllers is the only controller that didn't accept the FPS freeks day one.....they were too big.

If I didn't use extensions already, I would be down to switching them. My brothers in arms might find this useful though as they were all original X1 owners now playing on PS4.

I want to put in another endorsement for the Kontrol Freeks. I use the basic ones for all my controllers on all my systems (they sell them separately for X1 because the sticks are just slightly smaller in diameter and the normal ones won't work).

Darkgran

have you spent some time with the DS4? I've had 3 friends all say the same thing and after spending some time with it have changed their minds. ( its not as bad as they thought )

I am not saying it will for you but just wondering.

I have and it feels like I have no control with the left stick...

Two separate mods have made my PS4 sticks far more bearable.

One controller has Grip-Its and the other has KontrolFreeks for when I'm playing shooters.

Never would've considered even looking for the Xbox One sticks, but if these stop working, that's DEFINITELY a mod I'll be doing!

Top Bottom