• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod the Dualshock 4 with Xbox One analog sticks

Orayn

Is it as simple as just disassembling and reassembling ?

Yes, the only complication I hear people having is putting the triggers back together, but that's just placing some small parts and not a situation where anything actually breaks.

I want a DualShock 4 with the DualShock 3 sticks. That's all I want. The controlled would be perfect then. (Well, save the crappy battery.)

I've seen a controller like this. It took a little more work, the results looked pretty good.

T.O.P

Banned
I gotta say, i love both the ds4 and the X1 controller the same

But i just can't stand the no resistance of the X1 sticks, DS4 feels perfect in that expect, wonder if there's anything to do that could fix that?

Yeah after some hesitation I did it for all three of my controllers in like 10 or 15 minutes. Apart from having to kinda force the two halves apart (cringe) it's totally painless and easy.

Orayn

But i just can't stand the no resistance of the X1 sticks, DS4 feels perfect in that expect, wonder if there's anything to do that could fix that?

Not impossible, but fairly difficult because the tension comes from stuff that's buried inside the analog stick assembly. Changing the tension on that would be a lot more complicated than a trigger where it's just a single torsion or compression spring.

Still on the fence about doing this. I did get concave pads for the sticks. I noticed the xbox one sticks are a little higher. The pads also increase height, i was able to get use to it. Can anyone who made the modification go into a little detail about how the xbox one sticks feel and how they adjusted?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Would these still have the same resistance as the DS4 sticks and are there any XBO style sticks the same length as the PS4 sticks?

Gaogaogao

afaik this mod doesn't affect the tension of the sticks, only the plastic part that goes on top

Steel

Banned
Did this. Much better, but I'm still waiting for a 3rd party controller to go with a-symmetrical sticks.

They come in different hights and shapes (concave/convex). I have the green cqc on my DS3, they don't really extend the sticks that much and only provide better grip and are still concave. On my 360 controller I have the blue infinity ones, convex and they nearly double the height of the sticks and it was kinda strange at first, but when I got used to them (which was pretty quick) I noticed the finer control they give me especially in racing and shooting games.

http://www.kontrolfreek.com/ldr/fps-freeks-compare

That's it. Although the bloopers at the end show the first run might have been a little tough based on how I lost my shit...

Yes, the only complication I hear people having is putting the triggers back together, but that's just placing some small parts and not a situation where anything actually breaks.

I've seen a controller like this. It took a little more work, the results looked pretty good.

Correct, the assembly (in case you knock the trigger out) when taking it apart is covered at in the video. I don't think there is much risk to actually break anything.

I finally did it after playing Destiny for hours on end and getting sick of my finger slipping off the rubber.

XTENMiv.jpg

Still on the fence about doing this. I did get concave pads for the sticks. I noticed the xbox one sticks are a little higher. The pads also increase height, i was able to get use to it. Can anyone who made the modification go into a little detail about how the xbox one sticks feel and how they adjusted?

The sticks are definitely looser. They feel almost identical to the resistance on an Xbox one controller. I much prefer the standard resistance but the rubber on the DS4 is so slippery my fingers were slipping off all the time.

mtodavk

I'm really glad this topic popped up...was thinking about ordering these this morning. I might go ahead and do it after seeing all the positive reviews

Curufinwe

Thanks, will give it a shot especially for that price. My left one started to get damage too so I can put this right over it right?

Yup, they fit on very snugly. I haven't felt them move at all.

I bought some Kontrol Freaks for my DS3 last year and even the smallest ones added too much height to the stick for my taste.

Zakalwe

Banned
Can you do this with a DS2 and DS3 controller?

Yes, but not with the Xbone sticks.

There are plenty of replacements sticks for those pads, I've ordered a set of Kontrol Freak sticks for my ds3, I'll be playing Desitny on a ps3 for 3 months and the native sticks are terrible for FPSs.

Orayn

Would these still have the same resistance as the DS4 sticks and are there any XBO style sticks the same length as the PS4 sticks?

IIRC the resistance winds up lower because Xbox One sticks are taller and give you more leverage.

If you wanted them to be effectively "shorter," you could maybe use a Dremel or a very small drill to increase the depth of the slot that fits with the analog stick assembly on the DS4.

6KhbCyE.jpg

Jonboy

I prefer the height and resistance of the DS4 sticks, but the texture and grippiness of the X1 sticks.

If I preferred the X1's resistance or height then I would probably switch, but I don't want to sacrifice that for the texture/grippiness.

AdanVC

This is an excellent solution to the awful sticks on the DS4. Can't believe Sony is still silent about this problem... I wonder why?

Cess007

Subscribing to see this later at home. My DS4's left stick is peeling and seems that mod the DS4 is a good idea.

ph00p

Banned
If you are buying sticks watch out, the ones I got off ebay were VERY VERY loose I had to use some tape on the nubs to make the sticks fit tightly, if anyone knows where they can get very tight fitting sticks please tell me. Also OP where did you get those sticks you're using? They seem quite tight.

With the wrapping tape around the nubs fix they are very tight on the controller, but theres always room for improvement, someone in another thread also suggested a paper wedge for making up that tiny bit of space.

The controller is great, I played it with Destiny with the new sticks and it works perfectly.

Great MOD.

ALSO WARNING WARNING, when you're messing with the piece of PCB that has the rumbbly motors be careful not to break their connection from the board.

Orayn

This is an excellent solution to the awful sticks on the DS4. Can't believe Sony is still silent about this problem... I wonder why?

Not totally silent, I think some people who contacted Sony about replacements were told that certain batches had been recalled. If you look at some pictures in the thread about DS4 analog stick problems, it's clear that newer models do have a different material and texture.

The issue is that there's still a lot of old stock out there that may or may not have bad sticks.

StewboaT_

Wow, I may actually have to give this a go. I feel as if I'm one of the few people that prefers a slightly looser tension on my analog sticks.

Orayn

Question for those who have done the mod: Does it make L3 and R3 any easier or harder to press? I found sprinting to be a little annoying in Destiny due to L3 being a tiny bit finicky and needing a lot of force to click.

I have two of these stick sitting on my dresser.

I tried to mod my controller but one screw (if the controller is face down, back facing you) in the bottom of left of the handle just wouldn't screw out (twisting yields no results).

If anyone knows a solution to that, please let me know, I would love to mod that controller since the rubber is wearing away on one of the sticks.

Can't remember having a problem clicking in the sticks before doing the mod, but it hasn't been made more difficult to do with my two controllers after replacing the stick-tops. Easy peasy, but especially because the thumbs are better-centered in the stick-top, making the act of applying pressure to click more consistent.

Top Bottom