• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod the Dualshock 4 with Xbox One analog sticks

molnizzle

Just did this. The analog sticks feel great, far superior to the stock nonsense that the DS4 ships with. Kudos to this manufacturer for making sure that quality analog sticks fit the DS4 on the down low.

One thing though, my trackpad swipes no longer work, but pressing it as a button works fine. Is this because I didn't reconnect the light bar ribbon? I plugged the one that was actually connected to the trackpad itself, but I taped down the light bar ribbon and left it out. Does that matter?

I'm trying to decide if I even care. 99% of games only use the touchpad as a button anyway. 😛

Was at a friend's house playing P.T. and where you're constantly pressing forward, I would have to keep repositioning my thumb as it would frequently slide off. Same thing happened while playing Black Flag. They're just bad sticks. I'll be doing this sooner rather than later if Sony doesn't address the issue.

x Misogi

Just did this. The analog sticks feel great, far superior to the stock nonsense that the DS4 ships with. Kudos to this manufacturer for making sure that quality analog sticks fit the DS4 on the down low.

One thing though, my trackpad swipes no longer work, but pressing it as a button works fine. Is this because I didn't reconnect the light bar ribbon? I plugged the one that was actually connected to the trackpad itself, but I taped down the light bar ribbon and left it out. Does that matter?

I'm trying to decide if I even care. 99% of games only use the touchpad as a button anyway. 😛

If you plugged back in that ribbon, there's a good chance that the ribbon came loose on the other side. I followed this video to get mine back working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMw62eB54Do

molnizzle

If you plugged back in that ribbon, there's a good chance that the ribbon came loose on the other side. I followed this video to get mine back working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMw62eB54Do

Yup, that's what happened. Reset it and I'm good to go now — with lightbar disconnected!

So, after:

- replacing stock sticks with Xbox One sticks
- swapping in a 2x capacity battery pack
- cleaning the glue out of the R1 button
- disconnecting the lightbar ribbon

The Dual Shock 4 is finally a great controller!

x Misogi

Yup, that's what happened. Reset it and I'm good to go now — with lightbar disconnected!

So, after:

- replacing stock sticks with Xbox One sticks
- swapping in a 2x capacity battery pack
- cleaning the glue out of the R1 button
- disconnecting the lightbar ribbon

The Dual Shock 4 is finally a great controller!
Where can you buy a 2x capacity battery pack? do you have a link?

TheTurboFD

Do you happen to have a ps3 controller battery? That will greatly extend your battery life as well.

Also has anyone plasti dipped their controller? I've been wanting to do white on black.

molnizzle

There are tons of them on eBay, that's where I got mine.

I'm skeptical though. I weighed both batteries on a food scale and they came out exactly the same. It says 2000 mAh on the pack, but shouldn't it be heavier if it's actually double capacity? I guess I'll just have to test once the controller is fully charged.

Boglin

There are tons of them on eBay, that's where I got mine.

I'm skeptical though. I weighed both batteries on a food scale and they came out exactly the same. It says 2000 mAh on the pack, but shouldn't it be heavier if it's actually double capacity? I guess I'll just have to test once the controller is fully charged.

I must have bought the same 2000mAh pack as you. The stock 1000mAh and aftermarket 2000mAh both weigh 24g. From my testing the charge between the two batteries was roughly the same.

I actually bought one of the 1800mAh ps3 batteries prior and installed it without weighing it and the results were extremely disappointing. The battery capacity seemed to be in the neighborhood of 60-75% of stock so I undid the battery swap and weighed the aftermarket 1800mAh ps3 battery, which came out to be 17g...or 70% of the weight of stock. I ended up disassembling the aftermarket ps3 battery casing to see why the battery was so much lighter in weight in proportion to its overall size.

Turns out the actual battery inside the casing only fills up about 2/3 of the area, which isn't really surprising given the nature of aftermarket batteries.
So I have found another "1800mAh" ps3 battery for sale but its listed weight is 41g for the same dimensions which sound right for the listed capacity. I ordered 2 of them and will see how it pans out.

If they are indeed 1800mAh at the listed dimensions I should be able to remove the casings and run both of them in parallel for essentially a 3600mAh capacity battery(3.6x the stock charge). I am currently running a custom made 2500mAh battery(weighs 48g) and it is a phenomenal improvement over stock. I'm getting nearly 20 hours of game time out of a single charge.

yeah...i went to best buy just to check out what the hoopla was about the xbone sticks. they are definitely a downgrade from the 360 ones.

They really aren't. They take a little getting use to but they're much more accurate than the 360s sticks, and they dont have near as big of a dead zone as the 360 sticks. You can't really get use to a controller by trying it out for 10 minutes at Best Buy.

RedAssedApe

Banned
They really aren't. They take a little getting use to but they're much more accurate than the 360s sticks, and they dont have near as big of a dead zone as the 360 sticks. You can't really get use to a controller by trying it out for 10 minutes at Best Buy.

size and feel they are worse to me. i'm sure they aren't terrible. 360 sticks and controller in general still > than both current-gen imo

So I have been there and back again with Xbone sticks on my DS4. I always liked the sticks on the DS4 but my fingers did slip off of them. I figured the concave shape of the Xbox sticks would help a lot.

Here is my DS4 with the sticks installed.

XTENMiv.jpg

I liked the grip but something felt wrong to me. The taller sticks makes the range of motion different and they felt looser, coupled with the smaller diameter I could not shake the feeling that I preferred the originals.

This led me to re-install my factory sticks back into my DS4 and to be completely honest, Its much better. I don't hate the mod and could live with it but it just made things feel to different to what I was used to. This could be because I played SO much Destiny with the factory sticks.

Part of me wants to buy the new Blue DS4 and leave it factory and re-install the Xbox sticks in my black one just because.

anyways sorry.

tl:dr I prefer the range of motion, tension and size of the factory DS4 sticks.

I tried this last night and had everything all back together, and I took it apart again, because it wouldn't charge. Once it was apart I noticed that the ribbon cable connecting the USB to the motherboard is damaged...

Does anyone have any idea what I could try to either A) fix it, or B) Fix the ribbon cable?

Otherwise, looks like I'm out a controller.

Duxxy3

Sony needs to dump those analog sticks. Go back to convex, or make real concave sticks. This in between just sucks. Doesn't have the space that convex sticks have, and doesn't have the grip that that concave sticks have.

I tried this last night and had everything all back together, and I took it apart again, because it wouldn't charge. Once it was apart I noticed that the ribbon cable connecting the USB to the motherboard is damaged...

Does anyone have any idea what I could try to either A) fix it, or B) Fix the ribbon cable?

It's difficult to damage the ribbon cable, but it's easy to damage the connections at the end. If you manage to damage that, it is somewhat possible to flatten out the connections that got moved. If they're all mangled... then you've got a broken controller.

It's difficult to damage the ribbon cable, but it's easy to damage the connections at the end. If you manage to damage that, it is somewhat possible to flatten out the connections that got moved. If they're all mangled... then you've got a broken controller.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Tired to flatten them out last night having had that work before on a PC build I did once, but they I guess they're pretty mangled. I have literally no idea how it happened.

Duxxy3

Yeah, that's what I meant. Tired to flatten them out last night having had that work before on a PC build I did once, but they I guess they're pretty mangled. I have literally no idea how it happened.

Pulling them out and putting back in will wear them out. I'd imagine that putting the cable in backwards would also damage it.

Pulling them out and putting back in will wear them out. I'd imagine that putting the cable in backwards would also damage it.

Ahh, it's a possibility. I don't know.

Any idea where I could even possibly find a new ribbon cable? I know its very unlikely, but its worth a shot.

hydruxo

I like the size and shape of the DS4 sticks better but the XB1 triggers are made with much better rubber from what I've seen.

Vestax

Banned

Damn, sorry to hear that.

When I did mine, worst fear was to damage something. The biggest hurdle was getting the little spring holding the right trigger, back into its place.

ZCMhZQq.jpg

Duxxy3

For people doing this mod - please please please check your touchpad afterwards. It is very easy to pull out the cable that goes from the motherboard to the touchpad.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I have been there and back again with Xbone sticks on my DS4. I always liked the sticks on the DS4 but my fingers did slip off of them. I figured the concave shape of the Xbox sticks would help a lot.

Here is my DS4 with the sticks installed.

I liked the grip but something felt wrong to me. The taller sticks makes the range of motion different and they felt looser, coupled with the smaller diameter I could not shake the feeling that I preferred the originals.

This led me to re-install my factory sticks back into my DS4 and to be completely honest, Its much better. I don't hate the mod and could live with it but it just made things feel to different to what I was used to. This could be because I played SO much Destiny with the factory sticks.

Part of me wants to buy the new Blue DS4 and leave it factory and re-install the Xbox sticks in my black one just because.

anyways sorry.

tl:dr I prefer the range of motion, tension and size of the factory DS4 sticks.

Kind of the same situation but mine was with the kontrol freeks futbul addon. Come to the conclusion that my hands are too small/thumbs too short to feel comfortable with the added stick height. Gave it a few months but my thumbs still feel like they are straining a little when having to move the sticks.

Any suggestions on concave caps that add very little height and have a good grip to them? Hated the gripits because they were flat and also seem to lose all grip when ur thumbs are sweaty.

The Goat

Picked up the XB1 sticks on Amazon today. $12.99 for 4 sticks. Not exactly cheap, for what they are, but if they save me $120 in controller replacement, why not?

Has anyone figured out what causes the R1 stickiness, or any trigger stickiness? I have a feeling I'll need to sand down the triggers, as mine rub against the casing.

nib95

Banned
My review and comparison of both the standard and Xbox One sticks! Posted in the other thread but thought I'd post here too.

____

Xbox One analogue sticks on the Dualshock 4 (PS4) controller | Review

So they finally arrived, and I got around to testing them out, so here are my impressions.

Installation.

Firstly, installation is quite easy. I would suggest using some tweezers instead of pliers to unclip the touch pad cable, but it won't make much difference. It comes out really easily. Just remember, the bit you unclip is the bit that's attached to the motherboard (the part that has the battery on it). Not the bit that goes up in to the touchpad itself.

After you've done it once, you can do it again in under 2 minutes. It's a breeze.

The Xbox One sticks themselves.

They look nice. No rubber like the DS4 sticks, instead it's straight plastic, but the quality is good. I'd say the overall finishing with the finer details (underneath the sticks, around the seams etc) is a tad less high quality than the DS4 sticks, but overall it's still very well made. Especially the grippy bits around stick edges themselves, which are really well done.

The Xbox One stick shaft width is exactly the same size as the DS4's, so you won't lose or gain any control range when moving the sticks around, at least from a physical standpoint. The actual section that clips on to the internals is also near enough exactly the same size as the port moulds on the DS4 sticks, so they fit completely snuggly.

Comparing the the Xbox One sticks with the DS4's.

There are some slight but noticeable differences between the sticks, the most obvious being that the XO's sticks are actually taller than the DS4's. This makes them feel a good degree looser, and less torqued. They feel lighter to move around, and slightly less precise, but with more range. Despite being taller, your thumbs do not ever meet or touch, not even close. The difference is somewhat similar to how the DS3 sticks felt compared to the 360 sticks. With the DS4 sticks being the tighter one's this time around.

The XO sticks thumb area is also ever so slightly less wide than the DS4's, giving marginally less surface area overall. This, coupled with the rubber finish on the DS4's, plus the lesser height, does make the DS4's a touch more comfortable to rest your thumbs on, and in overall controller ergonomics, but it's a marginal difference. Both feel great.

Having said that, the XO's sticks do provide better grip overall. The concave centre, coupled with the gripped ridge, seems to lock your thumbs in place better than the DS4 sticks do, where some slippage can occur from time to time, so if you're someone who finds the DS4 sticks lacking in grip, you may want to consider the XO sticks.

Control.

Control wise, they actually play quite different. The DS4 sticks feel tighter and more focused, more precise. Whereas the XO sticks seem to be looser and offer more delicacy in movement or range. If you prefer looser sticks, and sticks that provide less resistance to your thumbs, take note. For those that prefer added resistance and torque, stick with the DS4's.

Playing some InFamous, Shadow Fall and Rayman, all played well on both, but I couldn't help but feel the DS4 sticks just offered a touch more balance. The biggest difference was with Killzone, where aiming felt a lot more robust and manageable using the DS4 sticks. With the XO sticks, I'd overstep my aim by a fraction here and there, and had to dial back my movement to make up for the lack of resistance and added play in movement.

Unfortunately I didn't have any racing games to test, but I do have a hunch that the XO sticks will work much better with racing games. I've always found the DS3 sticks good with racing games as looser, more ranged sticks work well to imitate steering, where tightness can have negative implications.

Here's a comparison breakdown.

Overall Finish: DS4 sticks > XO sticks
Design: XO sticks > DS4 sticks
Comfort: DS4 sticks > XO sticks
Grip: XO sticks > DS4 sticks
Durability: XO sticks > DS4 sticks
Control: DS4 sticks > XO sticks

Conclusion.

If you preferred the looser feel of the Dualshock 3 (PS3) analogue sticks, and find the DS4 sticks to lack in sufficient grip, this little mod with the XO sticks may be perfect for you. For me however, I still prefer the overall feel and control of the DS4 sticks. And that would make sense given developers are designing specifically around it. Both work great, but overallI I feel the DS4 sticks just offer that touch extra precision and balance. It's just a shame they have the rubber wear issue.

Photo's (S5 cropped mobile shots!)

Mindman

For people doing this mod - please please please check your touchpad afterwards. It is very easy to pull out the cable that goes from the motherboard to the touchpad.

My touchpad button works. Is there a demo or something I can download to test the trackpad function on it?

Duxxy3

My touchpad button works. Is there a demo or something I can download to test the trackpad function on it?

The trine 2 demo works.

The clicking will be fine even without a cable (the button is located on the motherboard). The tracking of the mousepad is what goes through the cable.

Mindman

The trine 2 demo works.

The clicking will be fine even without a cable (the button is located on the motherboard). The tracking of the mousepad is what goes through the cable.

I ended up installing the PC drivers to test the swiping on the touchpad, and sure enough, it didn't work! Even though the button worked like you said it would. (So stupid that the PS4 browser doesn't support the touchpad.) So I followed the video posted above and sure enough, the little cable on the touchpad was unplugged. I got that taken care of, but sadly broke one of the little plastic knobs on my L2 trigger in the process of taking the controller apart. Sucks, but already ordered a new set of triggers from eBay, just have to wait the ~3 weeks to get playing TLoU again! :(

mattplayer

Neo Member
I guess there is one stick manufacturer that both Sony and MS use. I can't believe they are interchangeable like that.

Looks like different colors are available too:
http://www.eachmall.com/goods-38174-41031.html

My sticks are fine, but I may do that and upgrade the battery at the same time just 'cause.

i agree with you , i decide to buy different colors sticks, 20pcs for about 15$. http://www.eachmall.com/goods-38174-41031.html

is there cheaper store?

Dolobill

My review and comparison of both the standard and Xbox One sticks! Posted in the other thread but thought I'd post here too.

Your sticks are knockoffs though. The real Xbox One sticks are rubber, but there are a lot of fake ones circulating that are just plastic. I can see the difference from your photos.

colonelwheel

Neo Member
Slightly OT, but would you guys know how I could go about making the L1/R1/L2/R2 buttons a bit easier to press? I've got SMA which is basically a less severe Lou Gehrig's disease, and these buttons give me just enough trouble to screw with my reaction times.

Been using a ps3 controller on the ps4 as an immediate fix...but it just feels so wrong. Any suggestions?

Duxxy3

Slightly OT, but would you guys know how I could go about making the L1/R1/L2/R2 buttons a bit easier to press? I've got SMA which is basically a less severe Lou Gehrig's disease, and these buttons give me just enough trouble to screw with my reaction times.

Been using a ps3 controller on the ps4 as an immediate fix...but it just feels so wrong. Any suggestions?

Not really. Stick with the dualshock 3. Everything on the dualshock 3 should have less resistance.

Did this mod a few days ago and I absolutely love it. I hated, absolutely hated the DS3. The DS4 is a significant improvement, but the two things that still bothered me were the symmetrical stick placement and the convex-ish, slippery analog sticks.

Not much I can do about the stick placement, but getting some proper concave sticks with good grip has completely eliminated my other issue. I did this just in time, apparently, because when I looked at the DS4 sticks after I had removed them, one of them was starting to have the grip coating peel off the side of the top, so I'm happy to not have joined the parade of people who've had to deal with their analog sticks falling apart.

For anyone considering this, I definitely recommend giving it a try. The replacement Xbox One sticks are cheap, and if you end up disliking it, it'll be super quick to revert back once you've had the experience of making the switch once.

Was thinking about getting X1 sticks, but they make my thumbs hurt after an hour or so of gaming. settled on the Geltabz and I love them!!!

f0JhrSml.jpg

Vooduu

Thinking about doing the cell phone battery mod.

Does anybody have a Samsung phone and if so, give me an estimate on the battery size in comparison to the DS4?

Did this today and I love them so far. The textured corners really hold my thumbs down well when I use a lot of force.

Only thing I'm having with is it seems I can't get chat audio through to my wired headset. It worked at first, now doesn't which is weird. I carefully took apart the controller and didn't even disconnect the ribbons but everything else looks fine.

Definitely an upgrade though, or worth having for a second controller.

Definitely saving this thread for when my thumbsticks burn out and upgrading the battery at the same time.

When that happens I'll probably buy a set of white Xbone sticks to see how they fit.

I like the Xbone sticks better than the DS4 sticks but I can't help but worry that they're gonna be too tall. I know they're only SLIGHTLY taller but I already feel a slight strain at times with certain games due to my small-ish she-hands.

We'll see. At least they're cheap.

Top Bottom