• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod the Dualshock 4 with Xbox One analog sticks

so can you put the ps4 sticks into an xbone controller?

misfits.gif

My review and comparison of both the standard and Xbox One sticks! Posted in the other thread but thought I'd post here too.

Hell of a post and fantastic review. Really touches on about everything you'd need to know about this. I'm still personally undecided; I don't like the DS4 stick material, but I do agree that the precision is really great.

I read something about newer DS4's having harder material? Any truth to this? Friend of mine was asking about it because apparently Gamestops have the white controllers and he was thinking about picking one up.

Orayn

I read something about newer DS4's having harder material? Any truth to this? Friend of mine was asking about it because apparently Gamestops have the white controllers and he was thinking about picking one up.

Someone posted picture comparisons in another thread, and yeah, apparently the updated sticks have a rougher surface, less "sticky" feel, and they look a bit shinier and darker.

biezel

One of my controller's left stick started peeling just the other day, so I ordered some X1 to replace and try out. They're coming tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how this feels!

One of my controller's left stick started peeling just the other day, so I ordered some X1 to replace and try out. They're coming tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how this feels!

Mine are still going strong, no issues. I dont think I can go back to stock DS4 sticks now.

Pachimari

Just replaced my sticks with Xbox One stick as well.

My touchpad don't work though, no matter how much I push in the blue band.

LowParry

Just reposting from the Destiny thread:

Well for those who were wondering modding PS4 controllers, I just finish mine up. Took about 15 minutes to do after watching a few tutorials. Going to do the same with the white controller I'll get with my bundle tomorrow. But damn, it feels good. Real good. Can't wait to play tomorrow! :D :D :D

wbKG9ad.jpg
S4zcyRN.jpg

OK so I'm going to try this with my spare controller. Ordered from Amazon. I see nice simple Philips head screws on the DS4 so this should be cake.

v1ncelis

I'm just wondering if there's different color faceplates for DS4 to buy? I'm not talking about a stickers. I think DS4 in PSX grey color with Xbox one analog sticks would look awesome!

PseudoViper

Hm, a little hesitant to try this. I actually prefer the ps4 stock stick anyways.

A little random, idk if it's me or not, but don't the xbox one sticks look like checker pieces?

Giant_plastic_checkers_pieces_with_crown_pattern.jpg

VeeP

How do the sensitivity and feel of the X1 analog sticks in the PS4 controller feel in comparison to the X360 controller?

Baleoce

Debating doing this but with the Wii U Pro controller sticks. They seem to be the same base dimensions, and I'm just so used to the Pro controller now that I don't really seem to switch to concave that smoothly anymore.

cyber_ninja

I was going to install xbone sticks, but changed my mind the last minute when I got them as I did not like how the felt and got scared of messing up my controller. Luckily I ran into gel tabz at Gamestop and they feel amazing. Sorry for the picture quality.

52lXFzc.jpg

Struct09

I did this mod just over a month ago and I love it. One of my other DS4's is showing wear on its analog stick, so I'll probably mod that one too.

Anyone who has done this mod, could you link to the page where you bought them from? I'm worried that the quality difference between the "OEM" xbone sticks and the ones you can buy online. Do they have the same feel? What about the rubberized grip material on OEM? I heard some of them are plastic only?

I've seen a couple on Amazon I'm looking at...

Aluminum Xbox One sticks: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K1HJEPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

20x "official" Xbox One sticks: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPIWAM4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And then the seller's page which has some different stick colours, chrome sticks, metal sticks, and some chrome controller housing replacements.

Struct09

Anyone who has done this mod, could you link to the page where you bought them from? I'm worried that the quality difference between the "OEM" xbone sticks and the ones you can buy online. Do they have the same feel? What about the rubberized grip material on OEM? I heard some of them are plastic only?

I've seen a couple on Amazon I'm looking at...

Aluminum Xbox One sticks: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K1HJEPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

20x "official" Xbox One sticks: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPIWAM4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And then the seller's page which has some different stick colours, chrome sticks, metal sticks, and some chrome controller housing replacements.

This is what I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZSTNKW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

jonezer4

Anyone that done this notice a few quirks?

Namely, I'll feel a soft "grinding" on occasion when going through the motions with the stick. Doesn't appear to impact the game, but just doesn't feel smooth on my thumbs.

Lately, I've also noticed my left stick sticking at around 5 degrees or so after I release it. It's really annoying as it often results in my defense going offside in Madden.

I love the feel of these sticks, but getting "support" on either of these issues obviously isn't easy. I can't find much of anything googling.

Deepo

Anyone that done this notice a few quirks?

Namely, I'll feel a soft "grinding" on occasion when going through the motions with the stick. Doesn't appear to impact the game, but just doesn't feel smooth on my thumbs.

Lately, I've also noticed my left stick sticking at around 5 degrees or so after I release it. It's really annoying as it often results in my defense going offside in Madden.

I love the feel of these sticks, but getting "support" on either of these issues obviously isn't easy. I can't find much of anything googling.

I've been having some problems with grinding as well, and I've finally discovered why. The sticks I have doesn't fit as tight on the DS4 as the original sticks, so it's possible make them change position a little bit by pulling them like you're trying to pull them out of the controller. Moving them around in this position causes grinding. Pushing them firmly back down again takes care of the grinding.

Now, the problem I'm having happens when I'm pushing the stick hard in one direction. Let's say I'm running like hell in a game, and the left stick is pushed as far as it will go in the up direction. Sometimes I then position my thumb a bit differently to make it comfortable, and this makes me apply pressure almost a bit on the underside of the stick. This can then make them pop out a bit, and voila, the grinding is there.

I'm considering going nuts with some super glue to make them stick.

After swapping the sticks in two controllers I came across a problem with the touchpad that you guys should be aware of. The touchpad worked if pressed but the swipe feature stopped working which is a critical feature in games like Killzone Shadowfall and Infamous Second Son. Here's a fix that I found that I'm sure you guys will find helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMw62eB54Do This saved me a lot of grief. Maybe OP you can put this in the original post.

Apex_Predator

Neo Member
Just a heads up to those who want to replace the crappy thumbsticks on the DS4, but don't want the XB1 thumbsticks. You can buy replacement sticks on amazon which are exactly like the default ones, but are way better quality and don't rip after like a week of use. I've replaced all of the sticks on my 5 DS4's and no problems yet. Been using them for about half a year.

NJDEN

I've only been in this thread for five seconds, but i saw that picture and I think I know what I'll be doing...

Sajjaja

After swapping the sticks in two controllers I came across a problem with the touchpad that you guys should be aware of. The touchpad worked if pressed but the swipe feature stopped working which is a critical feature in games like Killzone Shadowfall and Infamous Second Son. Here's a fix that I found that I'm sure you guys will find helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMw62eB54Do This saved me a lot of grief. Maybe OP you can put this in the original post.

Thanks for this. Had the same problem.

BokehKing

Banned
So I came across a problem while doing this
When I first tried taking the casing off, the back trigger buttons popped right off
(I tried to do it like the way in the videos, but they popped up anyway)
my problem is the little springs that go back into the trigger
I can't get them to stay in there or get the correct sensitivity on the buttons anymore

So I keep taking apart the controller and doing it over and over again....just can't get it right
should I say f it, remove the thumb sticks, and just buy a new controller and be more careful when I take it apart so the springs don't come out?

Hasney

Should have done this really, but I do love my grips. Replaced my peeled DS4 sticks with other DS4 sticks because Sony said they couldn't guarantee a blue replacement if I sent it to them, which was bullshit.

BokehKing

Banned
Should have done this really, but I do love my grips. Replaced my peeled DS4 sticks with other DS4 sticks because Sony said they couldn't guarantee a blue replacement if I sent it to them, which was bullshit.
Thumb sticks cost me like $2.50 on Amazon, they popped in fine, you just got to be real careful so those triggers don't pop out

Hasney

Thumb sticks cost me like $2.50 on Amazon, they popped in fine, you just got to be real careful so those triggers don't pop out

Yeah, my PS4 sticks cost about the same, I just didn't think. My indented covers are pretty awesome though. if they ever give me trouble or start to wear, XB1 sticks it is.

So I came across a problem while doing this
When I first tried taking the casing off, the back trigger buttons popped right off
(I tried to do it like the way in the videos, but they popped up anyway)
my problem is the little springs that go back into the trigger
I can't get them to stay in there or get the correct sensitivity on the buttons anymore

So I keep taking apart the controller and doing it over and over again....just can't get it right
should I say f it, remove the thumb sticks, and just buy a new controller and be more careful when I take it apart so the springs don't come out?

Simply pop the Triggers with the Springs in the top part of the Controller and they'll hold, then you can add the bottom half with ease. Don't force it. It's really easy to do and the springs hold better this way.

Iorv3th

I just changed my sticks to the xbox one. The left stick feels a little grindy when I have the stick pointing down. Like it's wear from the plastic stick on the bottom of the controller. Anyone else have this happen?

Duxxy3

I just changed my sticks to the xbox one. The left stick feels a little grindy when I have the stick pointing down. Like it's wear from the plastic stick on the bottom of the controller. Anyone else have this happen?

The bottom of the xbox one analog is slightly different than the DS4. I didn't mind xbox one anlogs in my DS4, but eventually I just started to swap in replacement DS4 analogs in when the old ones would wear out. Not a big fan of the shape, but it's obvious that those analogs were meant to go into that controller.

Pachimari

Is it me or do the Xbox One sticks feel like having a bigger dead zone? Whenever I move the stick just a little, the character on my screen doesn't move. And that's not good at all.

What determines how loose the sticks on a controller are? I like the X1 sticks better than the PS4 sticks, but every X1 controller I've used has had loose sticks similar to the DS3.

A PS4 controller with X1 sticks that retains the normal resistance the stock DS4 sticks have sounds great, if the X1 sticks are still going to feel looser I'd just stick with stock.

Cyborg

The hardest part is to find the real xbox one analog sticks. Same material and size. I bought a couple of them but all were fake.

Duxxy3

What determines how loose the sticks on a controller are? I like the X1 sticks better than the PS4 sticks, but every X1 controller I've used has had loose sticks similar to the DS3.

A PS4 controller with X1 sticks that retains the normal resistance the stock DS4 sticks have sounds great, if the X1 sticks are still going to feel looser I'd just stick with stock.

I'd have to look it up, but I believe the two controller use the same ALPS analog mechanism. So analog height seems to be the determining factor in resistance. Same idea with using a kontrol freek. Increases height and decreases resistance. If you increase the height of an already tall analog, well it has almost no resistance (which is why i stay away from KF with xbox one analogs).

Pachimari

They're taller.

Yeah exactly. Which makes it almost impossible to play Fifa, as you gotta react real fast.

3 of my DS4 sticks have peeled off, and now the touchpad doesn't work on one of my controllers, wonder if I didn't insert the cable correctly.

The hardest part is to find the real xbox one analog sticks. Same material and size. I bought a couple of them but all were fake.

I think mine are fake as well. They feel plastic-y. Tell me if you find some original ones. :)

Duxxy3

Yeah exactly. Which makes it almost impossible to play Fifa, as you gotta react real fast.

3 of my DS4 sticks have peeled off, and now the touchpad doesn't work on one of my controllers, wonder if I didn't insert the cable correctly.

The cable for the touchpad got loose on one end.

Top Bottom