• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Vintage Gamer: How the N64 Rumble Pak changed everything

nkarafo

My point was that it probably still sold more than N64 due to how it was packed in when it was so cheap. There were probably more PS1s sold with them packed in than N64s sold. Would be interesting to look into.

But you are forgetting all those PS1s sold before it launched could easily go out and purchase a Dualshock and as for the games that supported it, tons did once it released.
I highly doubt there were more than 1/3 of PS1 users who ever had a dual analog controller but i guess i can't prove that. But even if they did, it would be much later in the console's life, after the N64 already made it's impact with it's own analog stick and games like Mario 64.

I just don't buy the analog stick made more impact on the PS1 vs the N64. Yes, the dual stick controller prevailed in the end, that's a fact since the later games demanded two sticks. That was indeed something Sony figured out before Nintendo. Even Nintendo devs like RARE figured it out when they were making Goldeneye and included a dual stick option by holding two controllers. But the dual design made it's impact much later in the 6th gen of consoles, not during the N64 days. But i my safe guess is that Nintendo started developing the N64 controller way too early to foresee any of that and only had their own Mario 64 as the model game.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Why are people arguing in here?

Seeing that the PS Dual Analogue controller was stripped of rumble in the west, it’s pretty much inarguable that the N64 popularized the feature in the west before the Dual Shock launched. OK, Sony released it a couple of days earlier in Japan, and the Dual Shock probably ended up being more widespread. And?

BTW, it’s quite funny that Sony tried to strip away rumble from their controllers again later (“Rumble is so last gen!”, ‘member?), just to backpedal on it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I highly doubt there were more than 1/3 of PS1 users who ever had a dual analog controller but i guess i can't prove that. But even if they did, it would be much later in the console's life, after the N64 already made it's impact with it's own analog stick and games like Mario 64.

I just don't buy the analog stick made more impact on the PS1 vs the N64. Yes, the dual stick controller prevailed in the end, that's a fact since the later games demanded two sticks. That was indeed something Sony figured out before Nintendo. Even Nintendo devs like RARE figured it out when they were making Goldeneye and included a dual stick option by holding two controllers. But the dual design made it's impact much later in the 6th gen of consoles, not during the N64 days. But i my safe guess is that Nintendo started developing the N64 controller way too early to foresee any of that and only had their own Mario 64 as the model game.

YLRSDSxa1pThgjpjVQAhxU6KFSnV9y9nl4JQACvXt6g.png

nkarafo

Yeah, i was thinking about mentioning that but i figured someone else would eventually, lol.

Shows how much "impact" the dual analog controller made during those days... It was what, Halo that finally convinced people this setup should be the standard?

Don't get me wrong though. the Alien Resurrection devs were right. Just like RARE, three whole years earlier.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Maybe you should stop arguing until you can read better or stop putting words in my mouth. I never said Nintendo "released" it first.

Also you:

Nobody said Nintendo created the force feedback technology, but they were the first who made it a feature on a controller for consoles.

They were not the first who made it a feature on controllers as that would be releasing it.

You are the one who is using that word all the time, i argued they revealed/showed it in magazines and shows from my first reply here.

Nintendo revealing means nothing though. You don't know that Sony wasn't working on it before Nintendo. If I'm designing something, then you announce a similar something, and then I release my something before you AND it is implemented better, why should you get to take the credit?

Also the poster's argument about the wiimote didn't work so... i just argued against it. It's pretty simple.

There isn't a counter when the technology used in the Wiimote was first shown in the early 2000s by Sony. Yet you give credit to the Wiimote to Nintendo. You're the one who needs lessons in reading and comprehension.

nkarafo

They were not the first who made it a feature on controllers as that would be releasing it.
That's your stance. I find who unveiled something first more important. Especially if it's months before everyone else.

You don't know that Sony wasn't working on it before Nintendo. If I'm designing something, then you announce a similar something, and then I release my something before you AND it is implemented better, why should you get to take the credit
You don't know either. You just assume they started developing it first because they released it TWO days earlier. A thing that takes years to develop, mind you. Two days could be the guy who drove the truck got sick or had his day off. It's pretty ridiculous that you base your whole scenario on a two day lead because that's what you read on Wikipedia just recently.

There isn't a counter when the technology used in the Wiimote was first shown in the early 2000s by Sony. Yet you give credit to the Wiimote to Nintendo. You're the one who needs lessons in reading and comprehension.
Was shown? Excuse me, did you say shown? Not released? So in this case you don't care about the release dates or anything, you care about something that was shown early but released later or not even at all?

I guess if it's to discredit Nintendo, you can change your standards pretty easily, don't you?

And i already mentioned the powerglove when it comes to the concept of motion controls but you continue to ignore that.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You don't know either. You just assume they started developing it first because they released it TWO days earlier. A thing that takes years to develop, mind you. Two days could be the guy who drove the got sick or had his day off. It's pretty ridiculous that you base your whole scenario of on a two day period because that's what you saw on Wikipedia just recently.

I never made the assumption that Sony started developing rumble technology first. I am firmly in the camp that I don't know. Sony's implementation of rumble was both FIRST and BETTER than Nintendo's, so I will give them credit where it was due. Just like I give Nintendo credit for the Z-trigger.

Was shown? Excuse me, did you say shown? Not released? So in this case you don't care about the release dates or anything, you care about something that was shown early but released later or not even at all?

I guess if it's to discredit Nintendo, you can change your standards pretty easily, don't you?

And i already mentioned the powerglove when it comes to the concept of motion controls but you continue to ignore that.

The point I made in posting that wasn't to credit Sony with the Wiimote. The point I made was that your stance is hypocritical.

I give Sony credit for rumble, and I give Nintendo credit for the Wiimote. You're the one giving Nintendo credit for both, even though your stance is that whomever announced the technology first should get the credit. By YOUR logic (not mine) Sony should be credited for the Wiimote. That is why you're a hypocrite. You're just being a Nintendo fanboy, and I don't know why.

nkarafo

I never made the assumption that Sony started developing rumble technology first. I am firmly in the camp that I don't know. Sony's implementation of rumble was both FIRST and BETTER than Nintendo's, so I will give them credit where it was due. Just like I give Nintendo credit for the Z-trigger.
And why do you give Nintendo credit for that? If we go from a development time/when shown logic, sure, they should get it since Ocarina of time was in development for years. But if we go from a released date standpoint i think it was a Megaman game that first had this feature? So you would have to change your stance here.

I give Sony credit for rumble, and I give Nintendo credit for the Wiimote. You're the one giving Nintendo credit for both, even though your stance is that whomever announced the technology first should get the credit. By YOUR logic (not mine) Sony should be credited for the Wiimote. That is why you're a hypocrite. You're just being a Nintendo fanboy, and I don't know why.
I admit i didn't explain myself more clearly here.

I never gave Nintendo credit for the wiimote, specifically, meaning this particular design/tech. Just for the motion controls as a concept (at least on the console/home space) because they experimented with it in the NES days.

I'm not sure who to give credit for the wiimote though. I'm not very well knowledgeable for that particular generation of consoles. And you are basing your argument against me on a random post with no sources. Someone told you Sony had a prototype first but no links or anything. So, whatever.

Last edited:
This is why Nintendo kept the Wiimore a secret for as much as they could, so that the others won't copy their idea early on. And it worked. They showed the tech very late and that's why Sony took so long to copy it.
What utter rubbish. SONY was working on motion software with the PS2 it's eyetoy and its was a UK firm that 1st brought motion control games with GameTrak

And hell I still have the VHS tape

A true Nintendo 1st in gaming was the use of voice chat on the N64

Last edited:

nkarafo

What utter rubbish. SONY was working on motion software with the PS2 it's eyetoy and its was a UK firm that 1st brought motion control games with GameTrak

And hell I still have the VHS tape

A true Nintendo 1st in gaming was the use of voice chat on the N64

The eye toy is a very different thing than the Wiimore though. It's more like a predecessor to the Kinect than the Wiimote.

I guess it makes sense how everyone ignores the Powerglove. Sure, it was the first but also too shit to count i suppose. But that Gametrak thing looks just as bad. Pulling strings, really?

Last edited:

Danknugz

for me the mystery was the 8MB or whatever it was ram expansion cartridge. never noticed much of a difference but i used it anyway

The eye toy is a very different thing than the Wiimore though. It's more like a predecessor to the Kinect than the Wiimote.

I guess it makes sense how everyone ignores the Powerglove. Sure, it was the first but also too shit to count i suppose.
You never saw what SONY was working with the EyeToy. They had wand and motion controls planned for PS2 and eyetoy. Maybe SONY shouldn't have allowed EDGE to see, so Nintendo could copy....

tvPl3fV.jpeg

Last edited:

cireza

BTW, it’s quite funny that Sony tried to strip away rumble from their controllers again later (“Rumble is so last gen!”, ‘member?), just to backpedal on it.
Imagine making your main controller with no vibrations but with shitty, unpractical axis movement in it. Only Sony could be as brilliant as this.

Last edited:
The console that sold 33M also had at least 33M controllers with the analog stick as the standard.

How many dual analog controllers did Sony sell during the PS1 days? Pretty sure the dual analog was not the standard controller before the PS2, was it?
Like I said, NO ONE adopted the tech or layout of the N64 controller. That's just a fact. Sony's controller set the standard for controllers for console generations to come. That means it standardized the analog stick, and dual layout we have today, not a console that didn't even sell a third of the PS1.

And I bet that almost all 100M of those console owners had at least one Dual Shock, either from it becoming the standard controller for the last half of its life or a secondary purchase.

I have to say it's freaking hilarious that Nintendo diehards can't give anyone but Nintendo credit for anything good in gaming. No one is taking away from the innovations Nintendo brought to gaming, whether new ideas or their takes on old tech, but they didn't do it all. Sony is also responsible for a big chunk of what gaming is today, with a little sprinkled in from Sega and MS.

Did you even read the article?

Don't worry, Nintendo isn't going to hurt you.

Yes, i remember your account (and bias) from the Sega 16 forums.
The Kalinske gang huh? You're as fake as your Neo Geo logo. Speaking of which that was the 1st removable memory card that could also be used in the Arcades. A Neo Geo 1st

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Wow some of still can't admit that Nintendo popularized a lot of things in gaming. Sad really...

Last edited:
I recently started playing Ocarina of Time on my N64. I remembered that it used rumble for something, so I picked up a used rumble pak. It's actually a significant feature! The rumble really feels nice and strong. As a bonus, it seems to be supported in some of my other games. It's well worth the money.
the rumble location/center of gravity is also unique compared to all other controllers. feels particularly good in FPS games.
plus it's pretty strong by modern standards. they probably wanted to show the feature off.

overall i love the rumble pack.
it's basically an integral part of the n64 experience.

Gojiira

‘Changed everything’ It didnt, Dualshock did and standardised controllers with dual analogue sticks forever, and released first in a better form than a ugly block to parasitise the controller…

Unknown?

And why do you give Nintendo credit for that? If we go from a development time/when shown logic, sure, they should get it since Ocarina of time was in development for years. But if we go from a released date standpoint i think it was a Megaman game that first had this feature? So you would have to change your stance here.

I admit i didn't explain myself more clearly here.

I never gave Nintendo credit for the wiimote, specifically, meaning this particular design/tech. Just for the motion controls as a concept (at least on the console/home space) because they experimented with it in the NES days.

I'm not sure who to give credit for the wiimote though. I'm not very well knowledgeable for that particular generation of consoles. And you are basing your argument against me on a random post with no sources. Someone told you Sony had a prototype first but no links or anything. So, whatever.

My bad, it was 2001, but he clearly has a want here that works just like the move controller.

I remember picking up my copy of Star Fox 64 and it came in a gigantic thick cardboard box that felt like it weighed 30 pounds because it had this new advanced rumble tech inside. Then I slapped that bad ass rumble pack into my controller like a fucking M-16 magazine and jumped into some intense animal space combat with hyper advanced 3D graphics. What an absolutely fucking wild time to have been alive.

Top Bottom