• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still feel the opposite, we haven't seen a party that is clearly player + AI yet (the closest example was in the first trailer, but it was the same scene that had the chat box and "Player #" characters), and the big open fields with mechs laying around all over the place seem to lend themselves well to an online-focused co-op game. And thinking on it, the whole mech thing does seem like it would be awkward for AI characters, if there's just one and you get in, transform, fly away, what happens to your party?

Also considering we haven't really seen anything of a story, it leads me to think this might not really be story-driven, which would also make sense for an online-focused game. But who knows what we haven't seen yet. I know people are like "It's Takahashi! Of course it's going to be a story driven single player game!" But you never really know. All we can do at this point is speculate.

You're starting to scare me. :(

As much as I loved the gameplay in all the Xeno-games, the main reason why I hold them in such high regard (Xenogears = favorite game of all time, Xenosaga(s) = favorite PS2 games, and Xenoblade = Game of the Gen) is due to the stories. Well, Xenoblade for the amazing world, but the story was a big part of why I liked it, too.

If this is indeed an online-focused game, I will be extremely disappointed, and I might not even buy it. Don't disappoint me, Takahashi! D;

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that it wouldn't have a non-existent story even if it online-focused. That wouldn't make much sense.

And another thing is the characters, player-created ones first seemed to be the case when I saw the E3 trailer, but then I wrote it off. The design, especially of the main dude, does seem pretty "standard," but I guess that could just be due to his starting equipment. I'm sure the game will have various armor designs like Xenoblade. Maybe a bit less wacky than some of those.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This game was easily the most impressive thing I saw from E3.

I really hope they can achieve their goals with the seamless open world stuff. Xenoblade was so good for that kind of thing, but it was held back in certain areas by the Wii's lack of power. The draw distance is just incredible...

JDSN

Banned
Are the devs of this on the game show? I can understand them now showing new stuff but some Nintendo rep could at least sit down and yap about it for a while. Do the usual shit, talking about how big the team is, what they are trying to acomplish with this, how are they gonna try to position this as an established game in the west? Jesus.

Chaos17

This is an old interview but since back then this project was not in the spotlight, I guess some people may like to read it (made in 2011?) :

" He and Koh Kojima also stated, in an interview on MSI's official site in 2011, that now the time has come when game creators can do anything and make their dreams come true. Takahashi said that he would like to see people on the development team who isn't a player or interested in games, but who knows art and literature well. There will be a new designer, a woman named Kiko, and both groups (3DS and Wii U) from Monolith will be working on this project, which suggests that this project will be really big. Maps are said to be similar to Xenoblade Chronicles, and that Xenoblade was just a trial for this project - what is possible to do today with JRPGs and how the world will respond. They want to do a story that even if someone doesn't know Japanese culture it will be fully understable for all players, no matter where they live. And they said "If we will do it like this then JRPGs will have their own place in the world."

With Takahashi describing the new project as a whole accumulation of know-how acquired from Xenogears times to the present, it seems that they really are aiming to make their Wii U project into their "magnum opus." But whether or not it will reach the status of "art," or how it will be received by the long-time Xeno fanbase, or the new Xenoblade fanbase, remains to be seen... "

Source : http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/history/history_of_xeno_part04.htm#monado

Inaba: “I’d like to make an HD game that will wow the players. I want to show that Japan can still keep up with the USA when it comes next gen technology. Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks.”

Source (2012) : http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/1...t-looks-forward-to-jumping-into-the-next-gen/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are the devs of this on the game show? I can understand them now showing new stuff but some Nintendo rep could at least sit down and yap about it for a while. Do the usual shit, talking about how big the team is, what they are trying to acomplish with this, how are they gonna try to position this as an established game in the west? Jesus.

No, apparently this game is a total no-show aside from the trailer in the Nintendo Direct.

This is an old interview but since back then this project was not in the spotlight, I guess some people may like to read it (made in 2011?) :

Source : http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/history/history_of_xeno_part04.htm#monado

I forgot about this. Definitely curious how it will all come together.

Yonafunu

No. What you perceive as boring character designs isn't an indication of character creation.

I kinda agree though. Not necessarily about the character design being boring, but the main male character we see in the trailer could very well be a default character. Especially since we also see a female character in the trailer, who looks exactly the same, except for the fact that she's female. That scream at least basic character customization.

Daedardus

I still feel the opposite, we haven't seen a party that is clearly player + AI yet (the closest example was in the first trailer, but it was the same scene that had the chat box and "Player #" characters), and the big open fields with mechs laying around all over the place seem to lend themselves well to an online-focused co-op game. And thinking on it, the whole mech thing does seem like it would be awkward for AI characters, if there's just one and you get in, transform, fly away, what happens to your party?

Also considering we haven't really seen anything of a story, it leads me to think this might not really be story-driven, which would also make sense for an online-focused game. But who knows what we haven't seen yet. I know people are like "It's Takahashi! Of course it's going to be a story driven single player game!" But you never really know. All we can do at this point is speculate.

Well, the second trailer did have a party. We have the brown haired protaganist witht he big-ass sword, and two girls, one with a gun/sword and another with what also looks to be a gun. I just assume that it's like Xenoblade where you can choose to be who you are. If they can implement AI for fighting, it shouldn't be that hard for your party to come along.

And the second trailer opened with a story cutscene. I'm pretty sure they didn't create something specificially for this trailer and rather just used the things that where in game. The fact that the prot starts up his red mech and we later on see him standing right beside it leds me believe that the red mech will be the 'Monado' of this game.

onilink88

I kinda agree though. Not necessarily about the character design being boring, but the main male character we see in the trailer could very well be a default character. Especially since we also see a female character in the trailer, who looks exactly the same, except for the fact that she's female. That scream at least basic character customization.

This is wrong. First off, there are no female characters that look like the main character. The one you're referring to simply has the same armor type and sword equipped as the main character, but that by itself does not mean you'd be able to choose between a male or female protagonist.

Look here:
wiiumonolithsofte3trail.png

We see a bunch of female NPCs and a male one all wearing the same armor. This is their uniform. Yeah, the character and costume/armor designs are far less distinct than what we've seen in previous Takahashi games, but that's all it is.

Secondly, the guy walking in the hanger at the beginning and staring into the sunset at the end is very clearly being positioned as the main protagonist, both in the first and the second trailer. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Thirdly, being able to switch between party members means just that; it doesn't indicate player-created or customized characters.

Fourthly, and this is among the most damning evidence so far of this not being some kind of MMO, would be these two scenes:

I wouldn't be able to say who exactly is in that Doll (but a reasonable assumption would be that it's the main protagonist, seeing as how every time he's appeared with party members with him, it's been the pigtail girl and the girl with the red armor). There are no indications of players controlling the two characters (pigtails girl and red armor girl) behind the Doll, as this would be denoted by player status boxes on the top left that we saw in both trailers.

Same goes for this scene.

The notion that each of the characters we saw are player-created is far less plausible than them being the game's original cast. Look, if this turns out to be an MMO, I'll refrain from ever posting on NeoGAF again. That's how confident I am. :)

MogCakes

The mechs look to be from the same designer of the AGWS and ES units from Xenosaga, and Gears from Xenogears. I AM HYPE. This is the game that will get me to buy a Wii U.

So far it looks to be a full-on jRPG (that's Monolith Soft's area of expertise after all), though there is a bit of worry with what looks like room for an online persistent-world push.

Man I miss the sci-fi setting of Xenosaga. It looks like they're bringing some of that to X, which is great.

Man, I'm so looking forward to this being released. I'm glad Futureshop in canada had that sale where I could pre-order it at a discounted price during E3. Can't wait till next year!

I don't know that it's going to be released simultaneously, but I can say that an NOE employee slipped to me that localization is occurring alongside development.

This is not a guarantee of anything (it could be halted or pulled or sat on for literally any reason), but there you go.

Shocking! I hope so, but they actually showed the game in the conference even though it was just a recording. So :3

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the second trailer did have a party. We have the brown haired protaganist witht he big-ass sword, and two girls, one with a gun/sword and another with what also looks to be a gun. I just assume that it's like Xenoblade where you can choose to be who you are. If they can implement AI for fighting, it shouldn't be that hard for your party to come along.

And the second trailer opened with a story cutscene. I'm pretty sure they didn't create something specificially for this trailer and rather just used the things that where in game. The fact that the prot starts up his red mech and we later on see him standing right beside it leds me believe that the red mech will be the 'Monado' of this game.

That didn't look like an AI party though, but that could theoretically be attributed to the AI just working differently. The characters were all bunched up together rather than just following the controlled character. Plus I don't think there's any coincidence that the segments with the battle HUD up had three other players and there happened to be three other characters in that scene.

But like I said, who knows, all we can do at this point is speculate since we don't know any details except "seemless world." That post from Chaos17 does indicate that it will probably be story-driven though.

MAN, could you imagine if Monolith made a true new Xenosaga with this engine? Why hasn't Nintendo bought that and Baten Kaitos? :( And Xenogears.

They'd certainly turn heads with a new Xenosaga, I guess Xenosaga Episode IV?

Or maybe just REMAKE the entire trilogy with the engine. But I think most of the key folks (Takahashi mostly) had little to do with Xenosaga Episode II and people didn't like it I believe.

Can they remake the entire trilogy and make it perfection inline with the original game as if Takahashi made all three?

The games would be too big to do at once, so just start with the original and promise the 2nd and 3rd, then finally the 4th after.

But by then the Wii U's successor would be out I would think?

In that case, make the Wii U versions of the first 3 as a trilogy for the Wii U 2, THEN make the 4th on Wii U 2.

My god, this writes itself.

MogCakes

Will this be a very story heaven driven rpg like xenogears/xenosaga?

Looks to be more like Xenoblade. Gears and Saga are strictly traditional jRPGs in their execution.

MAN, could you imagine if Monolith made a true new Xenosaga with this engine? Why hasn't Nintendo bought that and Baten Kaitos? :( And Xenogears.

They'd certainly turn heads with a new Xenosaga, I guess Xenosaga Episode IV?

Or maybe just REMAKE the entire trilogy with the engine. But I think most of the key folks (Takahashi mostly) had little to do with Xenosaga Episode II and people didn't like it I believe.

Can they remake the entire trilogy and make it perfection inline with the original game as if Takahashi made all three?

The games would be too big to do at once, so just start with the original and promise the 2nd and 3rd, then finally the 4th after.

But by then the Wii U's successor would be out I would think?

In that case, make the Wii U versions of the first 3 as a trilogy for the Wii U 2, THEN make the 4th on Wii U 2.

My god, this writes itself.

I don't think remaking Saga would be a good idea. They should focus on new IPs. Saga was an attempt at remaking Gears. It's way past time to put that idea to rest and create new stories.

Cyrano

X is pretty much the only big budget game that really wowed me at E3. Lord of the Fallen has potential as well.

Final Fantasy XV I still have no clue about. It's a belt-ridden visual mess. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't really know yet, given how little information is available on it.

wrowa

Xenosaga was such a by the numbers JRPG that I don't think that it would turn any heads at all these days. It's exactly the kind of RPG people seem to be tired of these days.

Final Fantasy XV I still have no clue about. It's a belt-ridden visual mess. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't really know yet, given how little information is available on it.

That game doesn't even look like Final Fantasy. Looks more like a sequel to The Bouncer or some shit.

MogCakes

Xenosaga was such a by the numbers JRPG that I don't think that it would turn any heads at all these days. It's exactly the kind of RPG people seem to be tired of these days.

Pretty much. If they went back to it they'd need to come up with a new system for the story to play out on, not the traditional turn-based combat/world puzzle solving. Most people don't praise that about the series. What they always reminisce about is the atmosphere the games had and the setting - dat space opera, dat Durandal, dem AGWS, ES units, cityscapes - they were fantastic. That and KOS-MOS.

This game OTOH is basically taking the open world concept and the giant robots of games past and smashing them together. That's GREAT. The only thing I'm sad about is that the level of tech doesn't look to be at Xenosaga level, which means no space combat. :(

pablito

Final Fantasy XV I still have no clue about. It's a belt-ridden visual mess.

really? aside from maybe the robed old dude the designs for xv looked pretty tame. some of the characters had an accessory like an armband or something, but nothing on the level of kingdom hearts or ffx lulu.

Noid

Neo Member
Looks great!! Mechs and alien dinosaurs, fantastic! This and Bayonetta 2 makes a compelling argument for a wii U purchase.

Cyrano

really? aside from maybe the robed old dude the designs for xv looked pretty tame. some of the characters had an accessory like an armband or something, but nothing on the level of kingdom hearts or ffx lulu.
I don't think I've seen a visual design as incomprehensible as Lulu's. Still sad that Amano is no longer doing character designs. Even if the games were awful, at least they wouldn't be completely visually bankrupt.

Yes, the designs are staid, but it doesn't mean that's a bad thing, given Nomura's usual inclinations. Still, I love that the cast is all male. I want there to be a bishie-dating sim thrown in, for maximum hilarity.

Cyrano

Looks great!! Mechs and alien dinosaurs, fantastic! This and Bayonetta 2 makes a compelling argument for a wii U purchase.
The coolest thing was the realtime transformation of a mech into a tank. I have wanted to do something like that in a game since I saw a mech do it in animu.

repost from the other thread.
it looks so good.
1d17b35575ec242034b59f4b01691352.gif

d47ef135c3c676c610ed40d4a9230962.gif

I must say, this game looks absolutely STUNNING.

I mean look at that. If someone told me that was a cross-gen game I would completely believe it. It looks a step above anything else seen on Wii U.

And considering how incredible Xenoblade is (my game of the generation) I can only expect this to be Takahashi's master piece. Like...Game of all time caliber.

I will buy a Wii U for just this one game. Give it to me.

I don't think remaking Saga would be a good idea. They should focus on new IPs. Saga was an attempt at remaking Gears. It's way past time to put that idea to rest and create new stories.
Clearly you didn't play Xenoblade then. TT's been retelling the same story for three generations now.

Soriku

Gameplay wise maybe. But they're no longer doing turn based games.

I must say, this game looks absolutely STUNNING.

I mean look at that. If someone told me that was a cross-gen game I would completely believe it. It looks a step above anything else seen on Wii U.

And considering how incredible Xenoblade is (my game of the generation) I can only expect this to be Takahashi's master piece. Like...Game of all time caliber.

I will buy a Wii U for just this one game. Give it to me.

This is just their first attempt on the Wii U. I bet their second game would look even better.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/12/rewind-theater-x-e3-2013-trailer

I like the rewind theater gets a good look at some stuff I missed

I need this game now, amazing. This is a clear example of diminishing returns, say what you want people, this in motion makes you forget about its difference with the most visually impressive PS4 games, that is what diminishing returns is all about. This is what we mean when we say that Wii U next to PS4/XB1 is better than Wii next to PS360.

plank

I need this game now, amazing. This is a clear example of diminishing returns, say what you want people, this in motion makes you forget about its difference with the most visually impressive PS4 games, that is what diminishing returns is all about. This is what we mean when we say that Wii U next to PS4/XB1 is better than Wii next to PS360.

I think the real difference will be in the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom