• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

Looks good but man those running animations need work. The characters look like they're skating across the ground not making any contact with it. It's a dumb blemish on an otherwise good looking game.

I've counted three female characters in the trailer, and I don't think- rather, I'm sure none one of them are player avatars.

59 seconds into the trailer, there's a (player) character running to the left, past some big creature. The character's arms are nowhere near as bulky as the other player character in the rest of the trailer, they have a different arm movement (similar to Sharla's running animation in Xenoblade) and I can swear I see a bit of a side-cheb when they lift their arm.

Could be wrong (and I probably am) but that's what it looks like to me.

Edit: Yeah, pretty sure I'm entirely wrong.

GulAtiCa

Game looks a absolutely amazing. It really is a shame that something so potentially awesome is being wasted on the wiiu as an exclusive...they could find a much wider audience on the hd twins and their next gen brothers.

dude... It's a 1st party game

Aw shit so hyped for this.

original

Luigiv

One thing that caught my attention was that when the showed the area from the first trailer in this new trailer, you could tell a number of graphical improvements had taken place if it wasn't obvious already. Tons of foliage in view, and it appeared the greens used for the vegetation had been darkened to take away from that washed out look people were complaining about. Also the water seems to have taken a big step up as well. Pop in on everything looked significantly improved as well. Big improvements on animations as well. Very impressive visually.

Yeah I noticed that too. It's a huge improvement. Especially glad the long grass is back. The absence of it in the first trailer disappointed me a fair bit, given how awesome it looked in Xenoblade.

As much as I loved this trailer, is anyone else a little bummed they didn't highlight any combat? I was hoping to learn some more about how it works and see if they changed the UI any.

they showed combat last trailer and people complained about the lack of a difference in location

Looks good but man those running animations need work. The characters look like they're skating across the ground not making any contact with it. It's a dumb blemish on an otherwise good looking game.

my minor gripe as well.

they need to make different animations for going up hill

there're people worried about a lack of story in this game, do you know who the director is?
this game and xv are the only two i'm interested in, among the variation of brown shooters dominating this e3.

Haunted

Probably the most impressive game on WiiU, graphically. Might be due to the more realistic art style (well, in comparison to the rest of the cartoonish style of most Nintendo franchises), but this feels like a real step up from Xenoblade played on Dolphin.

ivysaur12

Banned
You know what I think is amusing?

You did the exact same thing in the first thread, and there were people pointing out to you that it was a first party title. Just a smidgen of research would have saved you the embarrassment. Both times. :)

I love shit like this.

ozfunghi

I have to say though; i kinda liked the monster designs from Xenoblade better. Also, the town streets, feels more like Vice City than Xenoblade. And the outfits hopefully get a bit less uniform-like along the way.

wsippel

Banned
It's funny how the sense of scale is one of the main things pushed on PS4 and Xbox One, then Monolith drops a trailer a day later with not only a huge world, but in which mechs measuring around eight to ten meters also fight enemies towering at several hundred meters. Takahashi's team isn't fucking around, and they evidently know exactly what they're doing and how to do insane shit on limited hardware.

This was like one of two redeeming things of Nintendo's E3. Game looks dreamy, even blows Xbone games out of the water

Not even close. I realize Nintendo fans need to prop something up with extra hyperbole due to a disappointing E3 but that's not true, at all. The game looks great for an open-world game but imo isn't next-gen. Hell, Assassin's Creed 4 is on Wii U and is more technically impressive. Far more assets in the environment, NPCs, way better animation, etc.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
there're people worried about a lack of story in this game, do you know who the director is?
this game and xv are the only two i'm interested in, among the variation of brown shooters dominating this e3.

There were definitely some cutscenes in this trailer which indicates it will have some sort of story.

Zornica

Banned
I have to say though; i kinda liked the monster designs from Xenoblade better. Also, the town streets, feels more like Vice City than Xenoblade. And the outfits hopefully get a bit less uniform-like along the way.

Lol, I was just wondering if I could walk around stealing cars our something like that...

Exeunt

That was how animations were handled in Xenoblade Chronicles as well, unfortunately. Particularly evident whenever going up flights of stairs.

ASIS

Not even close. I realize Nintendo fans need to prop something up with extra hyperbole due to a disappointing E3 but that's not true, at all. The game looks great for an open-world game but imo isn't next-gen. Hell, Assassin's Creed 4 is on Wii U and is more technically impressive. Far more assets in the environment, NPCs, way better animation, etc.

Go on, tell us how you really feel.

wsippel

Banned
Hell, Assassin's Creed 4 is on Wii U and is more technically impressive. Far more assets in the environment, NPCs, way better animation, etc.
All that shit is expensive, not technically impressive. I'm happy that Monolith has their priorities straight. Other devs could learn a lot here.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Might be the only game that would even make me come close to considering buying a Wii U. Similar to what Xenoblade did with the Wii.

Go on, tell us how you really feel.

What exactly came off as raging to you in that post?

This game looks great for an open-world game but this isn't close to PS4/X1's games. I didn't cherry-pick that screenshot btw, someone posted it in the other thread. To me it looks like the nice art style (really nice) + the fact that it's got badass looking mechs is clouding judgment on its actual graphics.

onilink88

Do you honestly believe that an Rpg that has had 2 trailers devoted entirely to gameplay and not even touching story elements at all, isn't at least a little weird?

Uh, no. :/

Did you know see the "Player 1, Player 2, player 3" above the HP gauges in the first trailer? I think that adds to the possibility that your companions are Human players.

Where did I deny that there was (and could be) human player involvement in your party members? What I'm arguing is that there wasn't enough evidence in the trailers shown to back up the claim that it worked that way exclusively.

In the Nintendo Direct, Iwata said that they went to him to make the game, in the end Monolith soft is own by nintendo, so Nintendo has the final say, not him.

They also went to him to make Xenoblade and Soma Bringer, which are trademark Tahashi games, and for him to fill that specific gap in their portfolio. There is absolutely nothing in either trailer indicating that X isn't the kind of game we expect from Takahashi.

I feel as though you deny that there is atleast the possibility that this game may not be a traditional RPG is even more obtuse. Like I've said before I want to be wrong, and I hope it is an rpg, but what we've seen so far makes me think it might not be, and it seems like your optimism about this game is making you ignore the signs.

What, exactly, in that trailer makes X less of a "traditional JRPG"? Aw fuck it; I don't have the patience for this anymore. Feel free to believe whatever you want.

MechaX

Now this is just flat out crazy town.

djyella

I must say that X is freaking beautiful! :) It shows that the WiiU is a very competent console if all the tools are there and if a dev puts in the effort.

ivysaur12

Banned
What exactly came off as raging to you in that post?

This game looks great for an open-world game but this isn't close to PS4/X1's games. I didn't cherry-pick that screenshot btw, someone posted it in the other thread. To me it looks like the nice art style (really nice) + the fact that it's got badass looking mechs is clouding judgment on its actual graphics.

No, you did cherry pick one screen that you thought looked unimpressive from another thread. The game has an amazing visual style, incredible draw distances, and is generally considered to be impressive graphically by everyone on the board... except for you? The same guy that thought that Assassin's Creed 4 on the WiiU was more impressive? Okay.

But maybe everyone praising it is just a Nintendo fan looking for something to hold onto. What a moronic thing to say.

Hell, Assassin's Creed 4 is on Wii U and is more technically impressive. Far more assets in the environment, NPCs, way better animation, etc.

Did you know see the "Player 1, Player 2, player 3" above the HP gauges in the first trailer? I think that adds to the possibility that your companions are Human players.

This trailer has a scene where there are "Player 1, Player 2, Player 3" bars on the screen. It also has a scene where there are clearly several party members running around without any of that.

The rational takeaway is that this game is a full single player RPG with party members, and it has optional co-op where your friends can jump into your game or something like that.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I detected a flat texture of grass somewhere in the middle of the trailer, during one of the parts where you could see the detailed world to the edge of the horizon. Day Never, sorry guys.

Banned
Amazing how a new IP gets such positive reactions from fans isn't it Nintendo? Stop giving us the same IP's with a different coat of paint.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
This trailer has a scene where there are "Player 1, Player 2, Player 3" bars on the screen. It also has a scene where there are clearly several party members running around without any of that.

The rational takeaway is that this game is a full single player RPG with party members, and it has optional co-op where your friends can jump into your game or something like that.

Same thing happens in Xenoblade. In battle, you'll get the HP gauges. Out of battle you don't. You also regenerate very quickly in between battles, so you will almost always have full HP.

Uh, no. :/

Well I guess it's just my opinion versus yours.

Where did I deny that there was (and could be) human player involvement in your party members? What I'm arguing is that there wasn't enough evidence in the trailers shown to back up the claim that it worked that way exclusively.

I never said you denied anything... I was pointing out a mistake you made in your post. And based on what we've seen in the trailers there definitely is the possibility that it could work that way exclusively.

They also went to him to make Xenoblade and Soma Bringer, which are trademark Tahashi games, and for him to fill that specific gap in their portfolio. There is absolutely nothing in either trailer indicating that X isn't the kind of game we expect from Takahashi.

Again I've pointed out a bunch of things that support that idea, if you want to ignore that, that's 100% ok with me.

What, exactly, in that trailer makes X less of a "traditional JRPG"? Aw fuck it; I don't have the patience for this anymore. Feel free to believe whatever you want.

I've already answered this so many times so I won't bother answering it again.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Maybe this game would look better if it were being made by Crytek or whoever on PS4 hardware, but I can pretty much guarantee that this game will be more fun than any game so far shown for PS4 or XBone.

Banned
A dry and barren first half of 2013 leads to a stacked second half of 2013 and 2014.

2013 exclusives confirmed:

Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Sonic Lost World
Wind Waker HD

2014 exclusives confirmed:

Bayonetta 2
X
Smash Bros
Mario Kart
Zelda (possible if it was almost going to be showed today)

DaBoss

Don't forget the chatbox.

Damar

Banned
Best looking game on the Wii U for me, mainly due to the art style which of course was amazing in Xenoblade, and you can see the influences in some of the world art/design. It's going to be awesome.

No, you did cherry pick one screen that you thought looked unimpressive from another thread. The game has an amazing visual style, incredible draw distances, and is generally considered to be impressive graphically by everyone on the board... except for you? The same guy that thought that Assassin's Creed 4 on the WiiU was more impressive? Okay.

But maybe everyone praising it is just a Nintendo fan looking for something to hold onto. What a moronic thing to say.

It was a screenshot posted by MYE in another thread, and it was a larger size instead of the near-thumbnails posted in this one.

And what's so wrong about thinking AC4 looks more impressive? Look at the environment, how many more polys (what's the plural of that, btw?), more structures and art assets, more NPCs, far far far better animation. And it's also a huge world.

Granted, I haven't seen the Wii U version of AC4. Just basing it on what we saw yesterday and 360/PS3 gameplay.

A dry and barren first half of 2013 leads to a stacked second half of 2013 and 2014.

2013 exclusives confirmed:

Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Sonic Lost World
Wind Waker HD

2014 exclusives confirmed:

Bayonetta 2
X
Smash Bros
Mario Kart
Zelda (possible if it was almost going to be showed today)
Looks promising:

ivysaur12

Banned
It was a screenshot posted by MYE in another thread, and it was a larger size instead of the near-thumbnails posted in this one.

And what's so wrong about thinking AC4 looks more impressive? Look at the environment, how many more polys (what's the plural of that, btw?), more structures and art assets, more NPCs, far far far better animation. And it's also a huge world.

Granted, I haven't seen the Wii U version of AC4. Just basing it on what we saw yesterday and 360/PS3 gameplay.

Assassin's Creed 4 looks nice. X looks considerably better, except for its animation. Not to mention the scope of X is much larger.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
holy shit this game. I'm not even a mech fan but those enviros and seamless open world and monolith soft.... if its even half as amazing as xenoblade is, this will be a must buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom