• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy Announced

Logbomb

Neo Member
Thanks for the update FDG Thomas, take the time you need to make this game truly great, the series deserves it!

Thank you for the update also Thomas! Was waiting patiently for news for weeks so it's lovely to see the game coming along and evolving in to something truly great. More frequent updates as we approach release is awesome too and I'm looking forward to seeing those.

Monster Boy remains one of my most anticipated releases. Still on track for this year out of interest?

AmyS

Take the time you need :)

I'm so very much looking forward to this game and more frequent updates.

Thank you guys!

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
Thanks for your understanding and the continued interest! I can't give any release date info atm as we're in a process of leaving no stone unturned to identify rough edges and we don't shy away from reworking levels and structures. It's a very satisfying process as in all the years we gathered so much experience which helps us nail things we never thought we could do when we started the project. So worth it!

Next time I'll post updated village graphics. You'll be surprised how much the look of the game is improved by adding more depth, lighting and shadows into the overall image. Please stay tuned :)

F34R

Thanks for your understanding and the continued interest! I can't give any release date info atm as we're in a process of leaving no stone unturned to identify rough edges and we don't shy away from reworking levels and structures. It's a very satisfying process as in all the years we gathered so much experience which helps us nail things we never thought we could do when we started the project. So worth it!

Next time I'll post updated village graphics. You'll be surprised how much the look of the game is improved by adding more depth, lighting and shadows into the overall image. Please stay tuned :)

You are such a tease!!! /walks away drooling (praying for physical release)

I think the labour of love style commitment from FDG to Game Atelier is wonderful and something we need to see more of in this industry. Any other publisher would have rushed this out for Christmas last year whilst Thomas/FDG remains committed to producing an iterated, heavily polished and hopefully fantastic game to the point that even years down the line the game is being heavily worked on and improved, constantly evolving in to something better and better.

It's refreshing to see. Take all the time you need Thomas. Seriously. We'll all be here for you when the game eventually releases. Kudos man.

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
I think the labour of love style commitment from FDG to Game Atelier is wonderful and something we need to see more of in this industry.
It's refreshing to see. Take all the time you need Thomas. Seriously. We'll all be here for you when the game eventually releases. Kudos man.

Thanks so much! We are really happy with Game Atelier as a partner as they are obsessed with quality just like we are. It was easy to extend development budgets, seeing that there is a 100% commitment from both sides. Once in a lifetime opportunity to work on a beloved franchise <3

chances of having this game in 2018?
You mean the risk that the release could move to 2018 ? It could happen, there's still a lot we want to refine and we can't say for sure if we can make it in 2017. It depends on the coming months and we'll keep you updated frequently.

Looks like something I would buy for my SteamOS, has the Linux version been confirmed?

Lizardcube has confirmed theirs - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is targeting next month!

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
Looks like something I would buy for my SteamOS, has the Linux version been confirmed?

Lizardcube has confirmed theirs - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is targeting next month!

That's nice! We don't have any specific plans about SteamOS yet, we'll look into it when the game is available. Might be a nice OS to target after launch.

Thanks so much! We are really happy with Game Atelier as a partner as they are obsessed with quality just like we are. It was easy to extend development budgets, seeing that there is a 100% commitment from both sides. Once in a lifetime opportunity to work on a beloved franchise <3

You mean the risk that the release could move to 2018 ? It could happen, there's still a lot we want to refine and we can't say for sure if we can make it in 2017. It depends on the coming months and we'll keep you updated frequently.

I though the game would not be ready by 2017, so it seems worst case scenario it comes out in 2018, right? That is not bad.

I hope you have a switch physical release

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
We promised it, so here is a new blog post already - we're increasing the frequency :)
Link: http://www.monsterboy.com/blog/index.php?/archives/24-Welcome-to-the-new-Monster-World-Village.html

Comparison_old_new_village.jpg

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
really nice improvement, did you do that for the whole game? It must've took a long time, but really glad you did it

Thanks so much everyone! Indeed we're combing through every area and location to improve it just like we improved the village. It's a lot of work but it feels great because we believe that we finally reach the visual quality that we always hoped to achieve. It's not all graphics work though we also still improve/rework level designs.

Svejk

Wow, that looks so much better! ....now it'll be forever till it releases, if they have to do over pretty much all BG assets. :'(

Yeah, I'm excited for the game and think the new art looks absolutely wonderful, but I'm wondering whether it's still on track for this year. I'd say an optimistic prediction would be late 2017, but I guess we'll just have to wait for Thomas/FDG to confirm.

The game looks much improved and beautiful however, so looking forward to the more frequent updates.

F34R

Thanks so much everyone! Indeed we're combing through every area and location to improve it just like we improved the village. It's a lot of work but it feels great because we believe that we finally reach the visual quality that we always hoped to achieve. It's not all graphics work though we also still improve/rework level designs.

Your team deserves so much praise. It's gorgeous!

Logbomb

Neo Member
You can even go back further for a comparison to see just how far the project has come since the beginning:

compare.jpg

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
You can even go back further

:eek: OMG!

I'd say an optimistic prediction would be late 2017,
Well, yes there's a good chance it will slip to 2018 now but too early to say for sure. It depends on when we reach content complete and approved all artwork and levels + strategic date/positioning. It doesn't make sense to release it close to Xmas where all AAA titles from big publisher hit the market. Players will have enough to play that time.

You can even go back further for a comparison to see just how far the project has come since the beginning:

compare.jpg

I actually really like that first shot. Its cute :3

That said this new shot looks ace as well! Huge Wonderboy fan (it's up there with Mario, Zelda and Mega Man for me) so I'm looking forward to this.

Logbomb

Neo Member
Looks great Thomas!

Just one constructive criticism, the large tuft of hair at the front of Monster Boy's head looks a little weird and needs some tweaking. I like the look of the character overall and I'm sure it looks better animated, but that big clump of hair at the front doesn't quite look right.

I created a quick gif to demonstrate the issue.
My fix isn't that good, but you get the idea.
Some tweaking there could make it look better.

boy.gif

boy0.png
boy1.png

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
Thanks for the feedback Logbomb! Well I like the large taft! His hair is dynamic while walking attacking and jumping - the taft makes it better readable on LED Displays (motion blur).

Anyway, all the hair is gone once you wear a helmet :p

Looks great Thomas!

Just one constructive criticism, the large tuft of hair at the front of Monster Boy's head looks a little weird and needs some tweaking. I like the look of the character overall and I'm sure it looks better animated, but that big clump of hair at the front doesn't quite look right.

I created a quick gif to demonstrate the issue.
My fix isn't that good, but you get the idea.
Some tweaking there could make it look better.

boy.gif

boy0.png
boy1.png

Nice effort but i honestly prefere the big chunck of hair, it reminds me more of old manga/anime style :

1d8654b0e58624c0feada7f03cac53b6.jpg

tumblr_inline_njirdozJRX1shwbkl.png

Shingo_Araki_Saint_Seiya.jpg

Couple of recent tidbits from the development blog:

Their intention is to develop a Monster Boy series, contingent on the success of the first game:

FDG,Thomas on Wednesday, July 12. 2017:
Thank you Lindsey! We hope that Monster Boy is a success so we can actually continue the game as a series instead of remaking 1 and 2. We love the classic Wonder Boys but we would also love to keep making new games!

The multiple and lengthy delays are because they're iterating in an attempt to produce a fantastic game:

FDG,Thomas on Wednesday, July 12. 2017:
Hi Ken, thank you for sharing the excitement about Monster Boy with us! Unfortunately we currently don't plan to release a downloadable demo because our focus is on finishing the main game first. We are giving our best to finish it as fast as possible but also as great as possible :) Competitors will always be around so our only chance is to have one of the best games in the genre - a MUST HAVE. It will be worth the wait. cheers!

The development blog is awesome for things like this. Keep an eye on it.

Fou-Lu

I will wait as long as it takes, my hopes are very high and I think they can meet those hopes and exceed them with the way they have been talking!

w0s

This is fantastic. Loved Dragon's trap (after never playing the original) so any more in the same vein is good by me.

Top Bottom