• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy Announced

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
OMgomgomgomgomgomggomgomgomgomgomg

Should have made it "Monster Girl in Wonder World" though.
Well, at least this one has already been done before
Monster_World_4_-_1994_-_Sega.jpg

:)

The above is a fantastic game btw, and available on PSN. <3

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you one of my favorite video game songs of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flzP...uOu3YQ&index=3
Great song. I prefer the Genesis version in Monster World 3, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYj9mElRg30

The Kickstarter didn't fail, it was cancelled early because it was picked up by a publisher.
It was failing really hard though. It would not have made it. That they got picked up at all is some sort of miracle. Of which I'm really happy about. Sad that Flying Hamster II won't be made, but fuck it, I'll take a new Wonder Boy game.

Krejlooc

Banned
I hope the monster king makes another appearance in this game. His role in Wonderboy in Monster World was always one of my favorite nods to the series roots. Dunno how he'd come back, though, considering he
dies to save you

Krejlooc

Banned
Seeing the overwhelmingly positive reception in this thread warms my heart. I remember when Wonderboy was basically an unknown property to many people. It always deserved much better recognition than it got.

I hope this is a huge success and fully revives the series. Give me my damn 3D Monster World game that plays like OoT!

AmyS

Monster Lair arcade flyer (System 16A)

Wn1jSVY.jpg

Along with Fighting Street / Street Fighter I, Monster Lair was among the first PC-Engine / TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM games.

Cd7sGQ2.jpg

fsADMdy.jpg

Japan and UK / EU PAL Mega Drive (apparently not released on Genesis in the U.S.)

tG54y8i.jpg

Y2IN94a.jpg

U5UMNT8.jpg

mclem

Monster Lair arcade flyer (System 16A)

Wn1jSVY.jpg

Monster lair is a shmup. I'm not quite sure how they're justifying the idea of it appealing to the RPG generation.

(Also, I was never really aware of the official storyline to the game. That is... well, it's something. The PCs heard about the events of Monster Land and... run off and kill stuff?)

Krejlooc

Banned
Monster lair is a shmup. I'm not quite sure how they're justifying the idea of it appealing to the RPG generation.

The aesthetics maybe? It's much more like Wonderboy I than any of the sequels.

(Also, I was never really aware of the official storyline to the game. That is... well, it's something.)

I assume you never beat the game? Book is the japanese name for Tom-Tom, the hero from Wonderboy I and Monster World I. You are on a quest to find his equipment (AKA the legendary sword, shield, boots, armor, etc - the typical wonderboy quest). At the end of the game, you do just that, and gain the legendary sword.

The PCs heard about the events of Monster Land and... run off and kill stuff?

It's more like the story to Wind Waker. Eons have passed and the Legendary Hero has become a myth passed down for generations. The space invaders attack wonder land again, and they set off to find the legendary sword to defeat them once again.

Wonderboy in Monster world (genesis) follows a similar story.

That flyer is the US version and contains a few translation errors.

Mzo

As long as it carries the tradition of going fucking crazy and into outer space by the end we are cool.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm happy for the series and for developers but honestly flying hamster 2 looked better imo.

Joqu

Never played any of these but I was looking forward to Flying Hamster 2 so this is definitely on my radar.

If I were to check the series out which games should I play and where?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Never played any of these but I was looking forward to Flying Hamster 2 so this is definitely on my radar.

Wonder Boy in Monster World (aka WB 5 / MW 3) is my favourite one, and it's available on Steam, Wii Virtual Console, and PSN. The sequel, WB 6 / MW 4, is also excellent and available on PSN but not the others. Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap is on the Virtual Console.

Joqu

Wonder Boy in Monster World (aka WB 5 / MW 3) is my favourite one, and it's available on Steam, Wii Virtual Console, and PSN. The sequel, WB 6 / MW 4, is also excellent and available on PSN but not the others. Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap is on the Virtual Console.

Thank you kindly, I'll definitely be checking these out~

Mzo

I'd say the series became excellent with Wonder Boy III on the SMS (Dragon's Curse on PCE), continuing into Wonder Boy in Monster World (Dynastic Hero PCE CD) and Monster World IV on the Genesis.

The sequel, WB 6 / MW 4, is also excellent and available on PSN but not the others.

MWIV is excellent but is also available on Xbox Live and Wii Ware.

Platy

You know, with the Monica game thing, it is kinda poetic that the new Monster Boy is the reskin of another game xD

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
MWIV is excellent but is also available on Xbox Live, and Wii Ware.
Oh, is it? Awesome. I wonder why it's not on Steam. And why the Wii Ware instead of VC? (My mistake, it was on the VC. I don't know why I thought it wasn't.) Oh well, so long as it's available. :)

Santar

This looks great!
Even if it is a little shame we lost Flying Hamster 2.

bFheNqD.gif

Loved the C64 version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land back in the day

bYpzODH.png

And Wonder Boy 3 the Dragon's Trap on Master System too.
Such great games. They were like segas Zelda series.

Does anybody know the original version of the music in the Monster Boy teaser?
Seems it's a tune from the Wonder Boy series but I can't quite remember it, would love to hear the original.

Takao

Banned
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/612975670/flying-hamster-ii/posts/1121051

f9226a6aa7f55272f39ad4e837a5f764_large.png

Hi beautiful backers,

We've got a very important news regarding our Flying Hamster II project. Many things have changed or evolved since we canceled our Kickstarter campaign and decided to make it happen through our collaboration with FDG Entertainment. So let's recap it with some shiny bullet point lists:

THINGS THAT COMPLETELY CHANGED:
  • The game has a new name: Monster Boy
  • Monster Boy will be an all-new adventure and as we closely work together with Ryuichi Nishizawa (creator of the original Monster World) it can be considered as an official part of the series. Since the trademark is owned by SEGA we had to pick a different name
  • No more hamsters but a new hero with a story matching with the Monster World universe
67c9ef21d8865939f0ee4e23e2aff5be_large.png

THINGS THAT GOT BETTER:
  • Tons of new hand-drawn graphics and an improved art style
  • Two new transformations replacing the bear and the hamster
  • While the game still has a huge open-world, some of the environments have changed for fitting more with the Monster World universe
9b9bf0a8662d3ea65718f2ea0893ee00_large.png

THINGS THAT DIDN'T CHANGE:
  • As a Flying Hamster II backer you'll still get your free copy of Monster World when it will be released (please refer to KS Update #12 for more information)
  • Michiru Yamane is still supporting this project and currently works on several amazing tracks
  • The gameplay remains exactly like what we initially planned
  • Our hard-working team, more dedicated to this project than ever!
5aa94010c3f74dfff442eb8fa52d88d0_large.png

So we're thrilled to announce that this beautiful project is no more just a Monster World clone but a real new official part of the series. Once again thanks to both our publisher FDG Entertainment and Mr. Nishizawa who pushed this project in the most incredible good direction.

And of course: thank YOU for believing in our team and contributed to make this game happen.

Sincerely,

Fabien and the MONSTER BOY Team

Apparently the soundtrack will pay tribute to Shinichi Sakamoto, though it doesn't sound like he's directly involved.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Somehow by reading the KS update too fast, I missed the fact that the animal transformations are still in (though they apparently replaced the hamster and bear with other animals or something). So even if we're not getting Flying Hamster II, it'll be definitely close enough.

Also, remember that they got Michiru Yamane on board, aka the greatest video game composer ever. Now it's damn hard to not get excited. :)

Heheh, no we'd have to see the terms of the agreement. Penny Arcade was very lenient with us and just about gave us free reign to do whatever we wanted when we were working with them. I'm not so sure that a big company like Sega would give us the same freedom.
Touché, not sure I'd trust Sega to handle this correctly... still, if somehow they ever asked you, it'd hopefully mean that they trust you and would give you enough freedom at least. And get Rieko Kodama on board. (I can dream, can I?)

AmyS

So since this topic will undoubtedly turn into a westone love-fest, I got this in the mail a few days ago:

141Bm2Z.jpg

FGjVBwQ.jpg

3LEtUkt.jpg

Very fun, reminds me of Granada on the Sega Genesis.

Great game.

Yeah it reminds me of Granada on the Sharp X68000 and Sega Mega Drive / Genesis.

Rip pixels. This high resolution 2D style looks so flat and cheap, never a fan of it. Usually goes hand in hand with flash style animation.

His character sprite looks ridiculous.

I'm happy for the developer, and would probably be OK with this if it had nothing to do with the Wonderboy legacy.

Top Bottom