• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Tenbatsu

Opiate said:
Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Defuser, thanks for putting this together: it's a shame this thread is so small. I'm a fan of this series, and I didn't even know this thread existed.
Don't worry, its never too late:D

TGS 08: Monster Hunter 3 hands-on (Joysti* lousy impression)
If you're reading this you're in the minority of ******* readers who haven't skipped down the page at the sight of the words: Monster Hunter. Clearly you're either a Westerner, curious about what the big deal is, or you're standing in line to play the third installment of the series right now. Within ten minutes of the TGS show floor opening, the line for this game was four and a half hours long. On a press day, no less. Thankfully, we had a considerably shorter wait inside Capcom's base (a hotel room), where we tried out the latest console version of one of Japan's favorite franchises.

While the series move from PlayStation 3 to Wii can be attributed to cutting development costs, no expense has been spared on the game's visuals. Monster Hunter 3 (or "Monster Hunter Tri~" ... ?) is one of the sharpest Wii games we've seen. It's also immediately recognizable as a Monster Hunter game. There's been no style change at all from other versions, just an upscaling of models and textures. The game's water looks impressive for a Wii title, which is important because Monster Hunter 3 is the first game in the series where you'll be going swimming.

The swimming sections look on par with Endless Ocean, only you've got a giant sword, and offer the player the ability to hunt new types of undersea monsters. No doubt this will justify the purchase of yet another Monster Hunter game for many Japanese fans -- not like there's really anything preventing that outcome. Despite the player being given a decent amount of wiggle room underwater, we're not sure the ability to swim will add much more variety to the gameplay. You're still hunting monsters, after all.

Unfortunately, the controls are quite complicated and, for a newcomer to the series, they take a while to learn. While the Wiimote and Nunchuk feel like a good fit for the game, things start to break down as you progress. While you can waggle to attack, it seems unlikely you'll get very far with it. Attacking in Monster Hunter is about timing and combos, and the Wiimote feels imprecise, not to mention, exhausting. Instead, the A-button will perform a primary attack, while the Z-button handles secondary swipes.

There are other aspects of the controls which feel overcomplicated, too, such as the weapon sheathing and drawing. The character we tried out had an incredibly heavy sword, which seemed to take half a minute to swing! The easiest way to time a first hit is to sheath your sword (the 1-button), then draw it (the Plus-button) when a monster is nearby, hitting it in the process. Obviously this button combo makes for counter-intuitive controls. Of course, devotees will likely overcome this, but it's potentially off-putting to anyone else. It's a shame because the combat animations turn out to be quite visceral, with a sense of weight to the weapon you're wielding and the force of impact it makes on a living creature.

While we had trouble defeating our intended target (thanks to the speed of our chosen character's movement and attacks), other innocent creatures nearby stood still long enough for us to get some good hits in. The death animations of these large, vegetarian dinosaurs were unnerving, as the "monsters" writhed on the ground in their final moments. Maybe we're not so cut out for this monster hunting business ... At least, not on our own.

One of the main attractions of the Monster Hunter series has been its multiplayer. Monster Hunter 3 is no exception as it will include online play with friends. But only friends, thanks to Nintendo's infamous code system. There's no indication as to exactly how this will work yet, but hopefully the mode will be made as painless and unintrusive as possible. With a dearth of upcoming first-party titles geared toward the "Core," it's titles like Monster Hunter 3 that could keep faith alive. That's true for Japan, at least, when the game releases next year. We're betting this one can be popular in the West, too. Sadly, there's no definite confirmation that will ever happen. But you never know.

By the way at today's TGS, the queue for this game is so long that people cant join the queue anymore. lol

Tenbatsu

Videos Archive
- First Gameplay Video
http://gamekyo.com/videoen13278_mons...-from-tgs.html

- TGS Official Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41053.html

- Off screen HD vid
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/4...ml#new_comment

- More videos here
http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/...onsterhunter3/

- More videos
http://www.4gamer.net/games/074/G007404/20081009005/

- Few more MH3 gameplay videos
http://www.famitsu.com/event/tgs/2008/1218827_1829.html

- Watch this video to learn everything about the game (Credits to king zell)
http://61.97.69.161/mpeg4/tgs2008/ba..._tgs08_wii.wmv

- Videos at IGN
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14209897/vids_1.html

- TGS MH3 Tri Presentation Video (This video demo the stamina of dragons, when they ran out of stamina, they cant spit fire and will go look for food to replenish. + some new system)
http://www.famitsu.com/fwtv/?71218810

- 1 more new video
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41262.html

Official Site updated a bit
http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/3/page08.html

Japanese Gamer hands-on Impression
Water DragonQuest 4P
- Graphics looks cleaner than MH Frontier
- If it supports the Wiiremote + Nunchuk only, do not buy. But in this case it also supports the Classic controller so its a must buy.
- The effects of traps are all new
- Able to use traps under water
- You cant experience the real nature of the ecosystem in the demo
- Weapon's motions are all brand new
- The motions of the Water Dragon underwater are brand new
- The underwater gauge is available in the demo but as the demo is too short, you can basically stay underwater thru out.

Tenbatsu said:
- If it supports the Wiiremote + Nunchuk only, do not buy.
What? The new controls sound great to me. Are they really bad or is this just a MH purists refusal to adapt/change (kind of like the smash bros purists that told me brawl was only playable with a GC pad, despite me using and loving the Wii+Nun combo)

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
What? The new controls sound great to me. Are they really bad or is this just a MH purists refusal to adapt/change (kind of like the smash bros purists that told me brawl was only playable with a GC pad, despite me using and loving the Wii+Nun combo)
I think its just a MH purists refusal. According to Famitsu, they said it work really well and brings freshness to the series but of course you will need some time to adapt.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41261.html
This video shows a skilful player at the end using the hammer.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4876295
Another new video

At today's TGS, 7 mins is all it takes for the queue to end. This game is going to be huge, expect queue like this all around Japan when the game launch next year.
33dxilg.jpg

Lol
2i1b2o.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
j0ystiq hands-on is awesome. I just picture him with this "wtf?!" face while trying to play the game.

bdouble

exactly the impression I got from their hands on. Complaining it took a while to swing a giant sword? what did they expect.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Pfft you play brawl with the Wii/nun scheme. Noob

noob

I kid

Banned
bdouble said:
exactly the impression I got from their hands on. Complaining it took a while to swing a giant sword? what did they expect.
Well ******* is a blog run by videogame fans, the same type of people who think Advent Children combat was to realistic.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
bdouble said:
if he was expecting some fast paced action akin to DMC/NG then no shit he is disappointed with how the game plays.

One of the best things about MH is that the game makes it damn best to make sure you look vulnerable and human all the time. A big sword is not something that's easy to swing around, so you gotta be careful when to swing it and when to do more than 1 hit.

MH combat is NOT about combos, shit... there's not even a hit counter in the game. MH combat is all about observation and memorization. Observing monsters attacks/animations, then memorizing that stuff into your brain. Also fully knowing the ins/outs of the weapon type you are using, knowing how long are the recovery periods for each weapon etc.. etc.. its really complicated but oh so rewarding once you actually get good at the game.

One thing I love about the combat system is how it makes you FEEL the weapons weight. It gives the combat impact and supplies the player with feedback, you FEEL each hit you connect. It's quite amazing, only the MH has that kind of feel to in its combat system.

No one is going to get good at the game in 30 minutes, it takes hours upon hours for you to get decent at it. The only hands on impressions that matter are the ones from regular MH players. I'm not trying or want to sound elitist, but really... A casual that never played the games is gonna feel intimidated and frustrated at how the game plays.

Banned
And to make maters worse, It not like MH is a new franchise. Yes it isn't big in America but they have had a year to learn about Monster Hunter. You are leaving the country for a trade show, where MH3 is arguably the most anticipated game there and It never crossed their mind to actually know how the fucking game works? You could watch 1 youtube for five seconds and know that weapons have considerable recovery time. The guy did absolutely no research and blames his stupidity on the controls.

Videogame journalism is a fucking joke, and sites like Kotaku and ******* are just dragging it down further

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
And to make maters worse, It not like MH is a new franchise. Yes it isn't big in America but they have had a year to learn about Monster Hunter. You are leaving the country for a trade show, where MH3 is arguably the most anticipated game there and It never crossed their mind to actually know how the fucking game works? You could watch 1 youtube for five seconds and know that weapons have considerable recovery time. The guy did absolutely no research and blames his stupidity on the controls.

Videogame journalism is a fucking joke, and sites like Kotaku and ******* are just dragging it down further
Videogame journalism is ignorant as hell - just look how they generally treat wii/ds :lol

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Videogame journalism is ignorant as hell - just look how they generally treat wii/ds :lol
Don't get me started. Their personal opinion is so ingrained in their work it aggravating. Most of their articles read like a long forum post. Kotaku's article on Dead Rising Wii sounds worse than something drohne would write. Actually now that I think about it, I should bump that thread.

Proc

Don't get me started. Their personal opinion is so ingrained in their work it aggravating. Most of their articles read like a long forum post. Kotaku's article on Dead Rising Wii sounds worse than something drohne would write. Actually now that I think about it, I should bump that thread.

blogs are the problem.

Netto-kun

Tenbatsu said:
At today's TGS, 7 mins is all it takes for the queue to end. This game is going to be huge, expect queue like this all around Japan when the game launch next year.
33dxilg.jpg
Yeah, the queue was like that from the beginning and till the very end of the show. I really really wanted to try it out, but I had to see some other stuffs as well. So I had to move on to the other booths.:lol

Tenbatsu

vpewzk.jpg

Some interesting info pops up at Famitsu.

New system: Monster List
- Use to display information of monsters. Back then you must buy books in the game in order to understand them better but now you dont have to.
- Use wiiremote pointer(!) to point at the monster and press A, drag and drop to the bottom right corner of the screen where the Monster list note is to capture the monster's information

http://www.famitsu.com/event/tgs/2008/1218944_1829.html

Hmm...its not they dont wanna implement IR pointing for gunners, I bet there are some reasons behind.

lordmrw

Nash said:
Oi Capcom!

Confirm a Western release for this, NOW!

If I remember correctly, Chris Svenson mentioned that they were going to prepare a big marketing campaign to raise awareness of the series in the west, so its all but ocnfirmed at this point.

Tenbatsu

More info
- New Underwater bullets(Long range) and dragon bullets (Short range)
- Small sword weapon shield can cause faint effect to monster when hit
- Press evade button (B button) when knock flying to do a recovery (This is shown in the videos)
New bird monster
- Saliva causes defence down and it can ignite its body with fire (shown in some of the screenshot)
- New bird monster body → 彩鳥の羽
Sea Dragon
- When you are in electrified state(getting hit by its electric attack), and you get hit by electric attack again, the damage will be higher.
- Sea Dragon's Tail → ラギアクルスの尻尾

Kyoufu

Error said:
No one is going to get good at the game in 30 minutes, it takes hours upon hours for you to get decent at it. The only hands on impressions that matter are the ones from regular MH players. I'm not trying or want to sound elitist, but really... A casual that never played the games is gonna feel intimidated and frustrated at how the game plays.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Can't wait to get a GAF community with this. Though it doesn't look like m(any) people will be importing the JP version with me..? :(

So far I am still pleased to see that MH3 is still a "MH". When MH3 on Wii was announced, I was once worried that they might significantly tune down the difficulty of the game or simplify too many things just to fit the casual audience.

Tenbatsu

ezekial45 said:
Thanks! I dont know, but I find those new control scheme interesting. Also, we can tell from those split screen play that no matter which control method you use, the result is the same.

Ok from the first video, to use Monster List (IR Pointing function)
- Select Hunter Note follow by Monster List
- Point on screen using Wii pointer and press A, drag and drop to bottom right corner to get the monster's information.

Videogame journalism has a big problem.

These guys seem to be "Gamers" first and "journalist" 2nd. Which is bad . . . example: Look at how these guys treated the Wii, use web slang like "Wiggle/ Hard core" and end up with a over all fanboyish feel half the time

When that happens you get nothing more than fan-boy yelling by people who don't do research because they just think "hey, can't be too hard to play this game" as you see here.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I didn't get to play MH3, but I got interviewed by NHK about MH and received the bag they were giving away! Yayy!!

Defuser

sp0rsk said:
I didn't get to play MH3, but I got interviewed by NHK about MH and received the bag they were giving away! Yayy!!
What did they ask you and what did you tell them.

Oh and whats inside the goodie bag?

Edit: Oh wait,just the bag? Nothing else in it?

sammy

Tenbatsu said:
I hope they will get feedbacks from players at TGS and add in IR.

2qnwry8.jpg

Am interested in this monster:)

watching the trailer over and over shows him shaking off his rock/clumps into a huge mud (or tar?) puddle. at another part it shows him taking a mud/dirt bath.

looks like a really fun new addition to desert beasties

markatisu

Looks great, I am glad they have tried to evolve the series some from the PSP games. I think its going to be a adjustment period for a lot of players, but then again as has been mentioned this is not a game that meant to be mastered in 15min

I'm confused.

I thought people only cared about the portable monster hunter games?

People care very much about the console version, its just the portable versions sold so much better. But if I remember did'nt the PS2 edition of the game move somewhere around 300-650k copies

Tenbatsu

kiruyama said:
There haven't been any interviews where this was asked?
Am not sure if anyone ask this at the show but the game in fact uses IR pointing and thats the weird part (not for combat).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nice IGN Interview

US, October 13, 2008 - The undisputed champion of last week's Tokyo Game Show wasn't Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo. It was Capcom, whose latest Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii, drew lines over four hours long within minutes of the show opening each day.

A bit away from the hoards of players lined up for a sampling of the new game, we managed to track down producer Ryozo Tsujimoto for a brief one-on-one. We asked about the Monster Hunter phenomenon as a whole and about some of the new elements of the Wii version that had been announced at a stage event the day before.

monster-hunter-3-20081013113311379-000.jpg

IGN: We tried to play the game today, but when we got to the show first thing in the morning, the lines were already 4 hours long. While Monster Hunter lines tend to be pretty long, are you surprised at this strong a reaction?

Tsujimoto: It's been two or three years since we've had an actual console version of Monster Hunter. In that time we've had the game on handhelds and those have become really popular. When we decided to put Monster Hunter Tri out there, we were a little worried that people might not be interested in a console version. So, we actually very happy and pleased that people are this enthusiastic about the game. We didn't expect three to four hour lines, and we're sorry if there are people out there who can't get in. But we hope people will actually get to enjoy it anyway.

Tsujimoto (left) plays Monster Hunter 3 at TGS.

IGN: The original PS2 version sold pretty well -- at 500,000 to 800,000 units. But with the PSP, the sales have been going up, with 2nd G just having crossed the 2.5 million mark. Why do you think the series has taken off like this? What is the biggest factor that has made the series so big?

Tsujimoto: I'm actually asked this a lot. One of the big appeals of the game is that it appeals to many people on different levels. Of course, there are some people who just want to go through and clear it, but there are some people who want to go around and do this and that. There are a variety of things in the game that you can do.

Another area relating to the online aspect of the game, when you look at the number that we sold -- you said just now 2.5 million -- a good number of those are not hardcore users, but casual game players. So, one of the great things about this is that you can have a casual player who's maybe not so good, and you can team that person up with an expert monster hunter and through that connection the casual player will naturally become better. In this way, you have people teaching other people, and it gets bigger and bigger.

Also, in Japan, we hold Monster Hunter festivals and events, where people can come and meet other Monster Hunter players, creating an environment, a tight community, of Monster Hunter players. So, even after these events, when you go home, you'll want to invite other people to play with you, and you'll want to create your own little community at home. Again, it just builds upon itself, with people wanting to invite other people.

[Tsujimoto asks translator if it's okay if he speaks so much]:

IGN: No problem, keep on going!

Tsujimoto: One of the things with Japan is that we've not gotten into the huge online boom that everyone else has. But, also in Japan, the number of people who actually call their friends and say, "come to my house and play" -- that kind of interactivity has gone down. We think that with the portable machines now, we've reintroduced that feeling of community, where you're able to play with other people without necessarily being, in the traditional sense, an online game.

Again, Japan has not had, in the traditional sense, an online gaming scene or community. And so, since we've built up this sort of community of MH players, we're hoping this will transfer to the Wii version where there's more of an online aspect in which you connect to the internet to connect to other people. By creating this feeling of wanting to play with other people again, this will hopefully transfer over to the Wii in a country where online gaming has not been that big.

IGN: On that point, the PS2 and PSP versions have very different forms of multiplayer. Which would you say is the "real" Monster Hunter experience -- sitting around by yourself in a room and playing with other players over the internet, or being within yelling distance of one-another?

Tsujimoto: It's not like one is more than the other. They're actually both, in their own way, true to the Monster Hunter spirit. We designed the game with each type of environment in mind. For the handheld games, we designed them more for a compact environment. For the console versions, we designed them more for online , where people are actually separated from one-another. We'll take a situation and look at it, and we'll say, okay, we'll put this in for the people who do like to play with each other, and then we'll put this aspect in this game for people who are more separated and apart.

It's much like talking on the phone versus talking with someone in person. The basic concept -- the enjoyment of talking with another person -- doesn't change. In that sense, Monster Hunter is like that. The enjoyment of playing Monster Hunter, the enjoyment of fighting monsters -- that doesn't change even if it's on the consoles versus being on the handhelds. We design the game with the machine in mind, so for people on the go, if they want to play something quick, then it's good for the portable, but if you want to sit at home and play on your big TV, then we've also designed it with respect to that.

IGN: The Wii version, of course, has both types of play, with the split screen. Were you hoping to totally replicate the PSP experience by making it four players?

We were considering it at one point, but for this type of game, with four-way split, the game would be hard to play -- hard to see, for instance. First, there was that barrier, so we made it two-player. With that, the game can be played without too much of a change of feeling, so we decided to try that first.

IGN: Is there a different type of gameplay between the split screen and online play in the Wii versions?

Yes, they're split up as modes. As for mode-specific quests and what-not, it's not decided yet. It's possible. We haven't finalized how to handle quests yet -- this is something that we'll be working on from here. That is a possibility.

IGN: Also with the Wii version, you announced Classic Controller support yesterday [during a Tokyo Game Show stage event]. Which control scheme do you prefer

For me, it's the Wiimote.

[Tsujimoto begins to mimic playing the game].

With the Classic Controller, you have to sit in a very set position. But with the Wiimote, you can do whatever you want. You can lounge, or you can even scratch your head -- it's just play as you wish.

One of the biggest concerns with players is, how do you not get tired. With this game, most quests last an hour, so an hour to two hour gameplay at minimum is expected. We've made sure that the play control is nice and easy and not tiring.

Lines to play Monster Hunter 3 at TGS were closed after less than an hour of opening time.

IGN: In addition to the Classic Controller support, you also announced yesterday some sort of system where the monsters appear to have more life?

Tsujimoto: In previous games, if a monster spotted you, all the monsters would come after you. But in this game, what we've done is we've created the monsters so that they'll fight each other even. They'll actually react to each other, and not just to the player presence.

In previous games, the monsters weren't really too defined, so a lot of monsters did stuff in reaction to things. But this time, a monster like the Kuripeko has the ability to mimic the calls of other monsters. It will call other monsters to its aid. These special unique aspects are something that we've incorporated into the new monsters. In this game, the monsters will really feel like they're separate species, and you can actually feel like there is the interaction of different species in this environment.

Before, you've always just thought, how do I attack this monster, or how do I beat this monster. Now, you have to take into account how the monster behaves, what kind of special adaptations it has, what kind of special abilities it has. Now, it's not just a simple matter of how you can just beat it. You have to actually use your head. It's more strategic. We think this will make the game a lot more interesting.

IGN: Do you think players need to communicate more?

In previous games, when you go from area to area, the areas reset. But in this game, the monsters will actually move around and migrate to different areas. So, it becomes vital for players to communicate with each other, because you'll have a situation where one area will change, and you can say "Oh, the monster is coming your way." This kind of information and communication become crucial to completing a quest.

The little tiny monsters will also behave like that.

IGN: Would you say it's a seamless world?

This time, you still have individual areas. But, with the Wii, load times are fast. Compared to the series so far, you have top-level speed for the loading, so I don't think players will notice too much when moving between areas. The monsters move about seamlessly.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/919/919115p1.html

Tenbatsu

This time, you still have individual areas. But, with the Wii, load times are fast. Compared to the series so far, you have top-level speed for the loading, so I don't think players will notice too much when moving between areas. The monsters move about seamlessly.
Wow, real time monsters movement, that is complicated programming! Or is it not? :/

Tenbatsu said:
Wow, real time monsters movement, that is complicated programming! Or is it not? :/

I don't think that quote is implying any new changes, except for a shorter loading time between areas.

Tenbatsu

spindoc said:
er...just as it was in the ps2/psp versions?
PS2/PSP are scripted. From what I know, MH3 monsters will move around but am not sure if its real time, it will be very interesting if it it.

Llyranor

'Different modes' between online and splitscreen? Does that mean you won't be able to play splitscreen AND online at the same time? :(

Top Bottom