• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Demo Impressions & Multiplayer Thread

MouldyK

He's only threatening in rage mode, mostly because of his breath explosion attack, but all it takes is a mount and a few attacks to the head while he's down to make him normal again.

I'm going back to my trusty Dual Blades after spending a couple days trying Bowguns and I still can't figure out how to deal with his Frenzy Mode as it rips me apart ALL the time.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm excited to see what changes they've done to the deviljho
I heard his savage variant has a new pin attack.
I'm also excited for the brachydios variant whom I'm naming Savage Brachydios

I'm excited for the new Tigrex. I can only imagine how tough it'll be to solo.

Tenbatsu

... Nice!
Is it normal and Rusty?
Ding Ding Ding!

So, anyone with the full game here? I'd really like some help with the G3 boss thing. He is a massive pain in the butt! I'd figure I might have a better chance asking here than in community.
Oil
dude? I can help. But you shouldn't have any problem finding people online to clear that mission.

I'm excited to see what changes they've done to the deviljho
I heard his savage variant has a new pin attack.
I'm also excited for the brachydios variant whom I'm naming Savage Brachydios
The latter is a pain in the ass at G rank.

co1onel

Big upgrade on the shadows

IyWj4MB.jpg

Illucio

Banned
I'm going back to my trusty Dual Blades after spending a couple days trying Bowguns and I still can't figure out how to deal with his Frenzy Mode as it rips me apart ALL the time.

Bowguns are too much upkeep and money to begin with. They aren't that strong, and only benefit teams. They aren't complicated, but require a ton of practice and upkeep. So to me it's not worth the investment, but I love having at least 1 Bowgun user on the team.

aka_bueno

So apparently I was wrong about new 3ds features in the game it does slightly improve textures, frame rate and load times

rGah91pl.jpg

This picture is really bad but you can still see the texture improvements

Big upgrade on the shadows

Thanks for posting those comparison screens between old and new 3DS. That seals it for me, I'm getting n3DS at launch thanks to that.

Earlier in this thread I said that the low quality textures (and shadows) really made everything blend together into a giant muddy mess. But I was playing the demo on a regular 3DS XL. With those New 3DS improvements, it'll really make the game look like an upgrade compared to MH3U!

aka_bueno

I'm guessing that even with the new 3ds, shadows of monsters in the air will still be circular? I noticed this when fighting Gore.

I wonder if that's by design, to help players pin point off-screen (up high in air) monster locations. Since if in the air, depending on the light source, the in-air monster's shadows would cast a shadow off center and further away the higher the monster is in the air (again depending on light source direction).

Don't see why monsters would have proper geometric real time shadows on ground but revert to circles in air. Either way, interesting find. I never really thought about that.

jorgejjvr

I wonder if that's by design, to help players pin point off-screen (up high in air) monster locations. Since if in the air, depending on the light source, the in-air monster's shadows would cast a shadow off center and further away the higher the monster is in the air (again depending on light source direction).

Don't see why monsters would have proper geometric real time shadows on ground but revert to circles in air. Either way, interesting find. I never really thought about that.

The reason I bring it up is because I remember for a fact that (at least on the Wii U version) MH3U had dynamic shadows when monsters flew up in the air. Could owners of MH3U on 3DS confirm or deny if they were on the 3DS version? Because if dynamic shadows were present on 3U for 3DS I can't find a reason for them to be absent in this installment. Granted it's a subtle difference but it was a nice touch.

The upgrades look nice, but I'll be content playing it on my regular XL. Probably would upgrade if I didn't buy the PQ XL back in November, I can't regret it because it looks way too nice.

At least it gives me hope towards a possible Wii U version with better textures in the future, if they've upgraded them on the New3DS.

What the heck!? Is.. Is the charge blade that powerful? But this is Monster Hunter 4, not 4G/4U. So it probably has been nerfed since then.

But dang, that makes me consider practicing the charge blade more in the demo.....

That was four full charges+ large barrel bombs+ the monster was asleep, which in past games was a damage multiplier.

Charge blade looks cool, but don't be fooled by the gif.

jorgejjvr

I've always been a dual blades user, but in the demo I'm rocking the charge blade (I'm doing many combos, charging the shield, releasing ultra, etc.) and it seems really promising! Should I stay with dual blades or go for the charge blade?

I've always been a dual blades user, but in the demo I'm rocking the charge blade (I'm doing many combos, charging the shield, releasing ultra, etc.) and it seems really promising! Should I stay with dual blades or go for the charge blade?
Why not both? It's how I'm rolling.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For some reason, I'm just not feeling this game. Maybe I'm growing out of Monster Hunter as a series. Looking at eBay, I'm glad I didn't cancel my preorder...I'll just put it up for sale, haha.

Illucio

Banned
That was four full charges+ large barrel bombs+ the monster was asleep, which in past games was a damage multiplier.

Charge blade looks cool, but don't be fooled by the gif.

True, the monster could had been already injured and was sleeping in another area to heal HP. I didn't notice the barrels in the background either.. But darn, they really stacked their damage together. It's still a very impressive gif in general though.

Kinsei

Banned
True, the monster could had been already injured and was sleeping in another area to heal HP. I didn't notice the barrels in the background either.. But darn, they really stacked their damage together. It's still a very impressive gif in general though.

They were all using sleep weapons. They had him pretty much locked in place between the sleeps and KO's.

jorgejjvr

Just a question from my curious mind. Are you fellow hunters more of the element type (like myself) who exploit a monster by using the elements (fire, water, thunder, dragon, and ice) or an ailment user, hindering them with ailments like paralysis, poison, slime, stun, sleep, etc.?

Side question: Wouldn't water and thunder elements be rare? In 3U only lagiacrus / Alatreon / Zinogre used thunder. Only Zinogre is returning in 4U. Also, considering that underwater battles aren't returning, how will we obtain the water element?

Anteo

So just tried the demo, wow the hunters feels so much faster now. The SA sidestep is so long! I really loved getting out of the way with the short sidestep (felt like I was good at the game) so I dont know how I feel about this.
Also looks better than expected

Kinsei

Banned
Just a question from my curious mind. Are you fellow hunters more of the element type (like myself) who exploit a monster by using the elements (fire, water, thunder, dragon, and ice) or an ailment user, hindering them with ailments like paralysis, poison, slime, stun, sleep, etc.?

Side question: Wouldn't water and thunder elements be rare? In 3U only lagiacrus / Alatreon / Zinogre used thunder. Only Zinogre is returning in 4U. Also, considering that underwater battles aren't returning, how will we obtain the water element?

I prefer elemental. I'm glad the elemental phial charge blades are better than the KO ones.

For lightning there's also Kirin (The unicorn in the gif), Khezu, Red Khezu, Rajang, and Golden Rajang. For Water there's Seltas Queen and Tiger Stripe Zamtrios.

You can also get gear from monsters that aren't in the game. I know the Plesioth GS is in the game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I go for raw power. Such as the Grongigas Hammer and the Deviljho Great Sword line.

jorgejjvr

Anything you would like to know? I finished the game already, maybe I can help with some spoilers tag.

I mean, I'm an experienced Monster Hunter veteran, so getting the hang of the game shouldn't be too hard. However, I respect and understand that you have knowledge that I do not regarding MH4U. So I mean, anything in general would be fine. Perhaps general tips or warnings on what monsters you consider difficult or anything that you think someone wouldn't know about MH4U. I'm all ears :)

In fact, how does the whole infected monsters thing work?
Thanks!

atbigelow

I'm a MH noob to be sure. Played a few hours back in MH3 years ago and that was it.

So far, the MH4U demo feels a lot better than I remember MH3 being. Although the camera controls are pretty crappy (no Circle Pad here) and I didn't fiddle around enough to see how you do the Target Lock stuff.

But I did beat the Great Jaggi! Used the dual blades because I remember MH3 being unresponsive and wanted something quicker.

Definitely gonna be giving the demo a few more goes with different weapons. Then get online and see if some more advanced folks can impress me.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm a MH noob to be sure. Played a few hours back in MH3 years ago and that was it.

So far, the MH4U demo feels a lot better than I remember MH3 being. Although the camera controls are pretty crappy (no Circle Pad here) and I didn't fiddle around enough to see how you do the Target Lock stuff.

But I did beat the Great Jaggi! Used the dual blades because I remember MH3 being unresponsive and wanted something quicker.

Definitely gonna be giving the demo a few more goes with different weapons. Then get online and see if some more advanced folks can impress me.
You lock on by tapping the monster icon on the bottom-left of the touchscreen once it sees you. Then all you gotta do is hit L to focus the camera.

PusherT

That kinsect blade is super fun. The vaulting ability is dam near overpowered poor Gora Magola you can get alot easy mounts on it and drop him down fast. Jumping off of cliffs and ledges to mount is a little harder but the Kinsect Blade you can mount 100% time I love it.

Doorman

Definitely come to grips with the target cam, especially if you don't have a Circle Pad Pro. Lack of feedback on the touchscreen D-pad camera makes that tricky to work consistently in my experience.

Just when I thought I'd talked myself out of ordering the special edition n3DS XL, these screenshots of improved image quality and report of improved framerate and loading have me considering it again. Argh! For folks who have ordered it through Gamestop, there is a trade-in special they have going on for older 3DS systems, but does that even apply toward the MH4U edition system? Since that's ordered online and shipped direct to home, does that mean you'd have to turn in the previous system at the time of preorder? That doesn't work for system transfer purposes, so I'm supposing they just nix that special altogether. Part of me says it's not worth spending that much money on a system upgrade just for slightly improved Monster Hunter performance...but, improved Monster Hunter performance! D:

Wolfe

After sinking over 700 hours into 3U I can't wait to pick this game up next month. Really enjoying the new weapons and added mechanics (not to mention the ability to play online!)

sgjackson

Two questions:

1. How can I start leveraging axe mode in Switch Axe? I sit in sword mode 99 percent of the time and do okay, but I feel like I could really push harder if I knew how to not immediately become useless whenever my gauge runs out (I think 90 percent of my stupid Gore Magala carts are from running out of sword gauge and panicking.)

2. What's the best way to hit Gore Magala's horns when it enters Frenzy Mode? Traps? I lack the psychic monster-fu to line up two shots when he's doing that shit.

MildSoss

Damn, the felyne companions seem kind of op this time around. Was that a boat they can get on now to damage enemies? I thought that was hilarious, totally caught me by surprise.

Tenbatsu

I mean, I'm an experienced Monster Hunter veteran, so getting the hang of the game shouldn't be too hard. However, I respect and understand that you have knowledge that I do not regarding MH4U. So I mean, anything in general would be fine. Perhaps general tips or warnings on what monsters you consider difficult or anything that you think someone wouldn't know about MH4U. I'm all ears :)

In fact, how does the whole infected monsters thing work?
Thanks!
Basically the infested monsters is just Capcom's way of presenting a harder version of the exisiting monsters. They used the term infected to tie in with the game story.

Later on in the game you will be able to inject wyvern virus canceling skills to your weapons to draw out the virus from the monster for a limited time by dealing enough damage. You will be also able to upgrade your maxed out weapons further by either upgrading it's attack, it's defence or it's health healing abilities and this is a resettable step.

IMO Rajan, Rusty Kushala, Tigrex sub, Brachy, Jinouga are extremely hard. They move and attack like they are on steroids on G level which is pretty crazy. Also lvl 140 is the highest level a guild quest can go and is considered the highest difficulty in the game. Overall, I think you should know by now that this is a much faster paced MH as compared to the past series.

Top Bottom