• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never played a Monster Hunter before but I've always had a strong desire to, it really sounds like something I'd enjoy. I dig slower/methodical combat with long animations so you have to be careful. Maybe this'll be the one I finally jump into.

I'm curious about using the Hunting Horn weapon, at least whenever I play online. Big fan of musical weapons that buff people, love playing support-ish roles in multiplayer games. How's the horn?

It's almost as good as the hammer as a melee weapon, but more complex to use because of the melodies. It's a great weapon in general and a godsend in multiplayer hunts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8xCih5LSg

Tenbatsu

Wait Ukanlos has a high rank version? What BS is this? I know he had one due in P3rd since that game didn't have G rank, but I was really hoping he'd be G rank exclusive again.
Ukanlos is the bridge to G rank in MH4U.

Enjoy guys, you all waited long enough.

My friend was the one who's weapon won for the US design contest, The Clockwork Contraption.

Im excited to use it, but I'm more of a light bowgun guy myself. I uh actually haven't really seen much of anything about this game purposefully to surprise myself, but is it possible to get the Rathian gun? I really like the pink on it and am still kind of leveling it up in MH3U. That was my first game, so im kind of new to how it translates over into new games.

Kinsei

Banned
My friend was the one who's weapon won for the US design contest, The Clockwork Contraption.

Im excited to use it, but I'm more of a light bowgun guy myself. I uh actually haven't really seen much of anything about this game purposefully to surprise myself, but is it possible to get the Rathian gun? I really like the pink on it and am still kind of leveling it up in MH3U. That was my first game, so im kind of new to how it translates over into new games.

Rathian is in the game. Rathian and Rathalos are the only two monsters to appear in every MH game.

Went to the eshop to load up some cash to buy MH4, since I have majora's mask LE coming tomorrow, and I love the music they are playing on the eshop right now. Nice touch, Nintendo!

PKrockin

I've never played a Monster Hunter before but I've always had a strong desire to, it really sounds like something I'd enjoy. I dig slower/methodical combat with long animations so you have to be careful. Maybe this'll be the one I finally jump into.

I'm curious about using the Hunting Horn weapon, at least whenever I play online. Big fan of musical weapons that buff people, love playing support-ish roles in multiplayer games. How's the horn?
You'll probably love this game.

The horn is great. Longer reach than the hammer, ridiculous mobility, no need to worry about weapon bouncing, and some very useful buffs. You will be loved in multiplayer and it's not exactly a slouch in single player either.

Tenbatsu

It's a little weird, though. The Rathian LBG used to have its own long upgrade line, but it looks like it now branches off from the Rathalos LBG instead - whereas the Rathian HBG looks about the same as before.
Yap Valkyrie Fire is no more.

You start from Blossomayhem.

It's almost as good as the hammer as a melee weapon, but more complex to use because of the melodies. It's a great weapon in general and a godsend in multiplayer hunts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8xCih5LSg
You'll probably love this game.

The horn is great. Longer reach than the hammer, ridiculous mobility, no need to worry about weapon bouncing, and some very useful buffs. You will be loved in multiplayer and it's not exactly a slouch in single player either.
Awesome, thanks!

Owensboro

GAF has a mumble that you can search for by looking for the mumble thread but mumble gets a lot of feed back without push to talk so I almost wanna say skype would be best?

I'm also very interested in this, hunting is 100x better with good communication. I like mumble, but maybe a skype group would work too?

Hell, anything is better than using the set responses. Is there a way in any of those programs to set up a big group that everyone could log into? I know in Mumble and Vent you can just log onto the server and choose a room for grouping up. How do LINE and Skype handle it? Same basic principle?

I'll read up on Skype and figure out if I can set up a group or anything. I seriously haven't used the program since 2007.

Nixonomics

Guys, I'm so excited for more MH. I can't believe it's finally here.

The Hunting Horn is one of my favorite weapon types. It's completely viable for solo play too. Once you are comfortable with your weapon's songs and the flow of your weapon's attacks - oh, god - it's just so damn fun banging around a monster all the while playing songs/queuing up more buffs.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Tomorrow MH 3ds is mine! I haven't been this pumped for a console launch in many years.

See you out on the fields, charge-blade bros.

depward

Very excited. Limited edition 3DS + collector's edition coming tomorrow.

Was going to go all HBG but I'm a hammer mainstay.. will be hard for me to resist. Also loving the SnS changes, liking the switch axe as of late... soooo many weapon types I want to mainnnnn

mStudios

How does the online works?
Can we ask anonymous people to join us to hunt an specific monster( like boards) or join an specific room?

I dont remember how monster hunter tri worked, and never played the wiiU one and as we now, the 3ds one didnt have online.

Tenbatsu

How does the online works?
Can we ask anonymous people to join us to hunt an specific monster( like boards) or join an specific room?
You can do filtering to search for quest/monsters that you would like to hunt. Or you can set conditions for your room and wait for people to join in.

seriously considering taking out a short term loan just so I can play it day 1 rather than wait a month. I don't want to be so far behind the rest of the pack :(

aka_bueno

I think the possibility of a eShop midnight release is slim at this point, with no official word anywhere. Majora's Mask confirmed for midnight sure, but not MonHun.

I'm basically just telling myself that so I won't be extra disappointed when it doesnt happen :(

Mupod

ugh, gaf has convinced me to buy another game. Thanks gaf. I hope I don't regret it like I did The Evil Within. Midnight eshop download for me.

As a new monster hunter player, can I get some tips?

Weapon types in MH are kind of like characters in a fighting game, pick the one you like and learn its moveset. The game isn't about memorizing complex combos, rather you need to focus on safely and consistently hitting the right parts of the monster. What are the right parts? Well, if you're bouncing off, that's probably not the right part.

When a large monster spots you, your character's run animation (while your weapon is sheathed) changes a little. It'll look like a silly panic run when you run away from the monster, but the important thing is if you dodge during this run animation you do a 'superman dive'. This dive has a very long animation that is mostly invulnerable, so while it looks silly it's amazing for dodging attacks that would be otherwise unavoidable.

Drooling = tired monster. It will have slower attacks and be generally easier to fight, traps and such will be more effective. It will try to escape and eat to regain stamina.

Limping = almost dead monster. It will try to escape and sleep to regain health. Once it's limping, you can catch it in a trap and throw two tranquilizer bombs to capture (often better chance for rare rewards). I dunno if MH4 has capture-only quests but if it does, bring extra traps and tranqs before going in.

Treat it almost like a turn-based game, be patient. For example if you need to heal - back off and wait for an attack, dodge then chug your potion as the monster is charging away. Then wait for another attack before going back in. As long as you don't get greedy and try to do too much between monster attacks, you should be able to avoid getting mauled. It's going to happen anyways, though - MH isn't easy but it's worth the effort.

Ultrabum

I think the possibility of a eShop midnight release is slim at this point, with no official word anywhere. Majora's Mask confirmed for midnight sure, but not MonHun.

I'm basically just telling myself that so I won't be extra disappointed when it doesnt happen :(

I'm still hoping for midnight release. I reallllllyy dont want to have to run around town trying to find a hard copy tonight/tmorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom