• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
It's great seeing so much enthusiasm for a MH game here, and what appears to be a bunch of people getting it for the first time.

I played the hell out of 4 and skipped 4G to wait for this, so I'm extremely hyped for tomorrow.

I'm curious if everyone is going to be using the bug staff, because online with 4, it was very, very well represented (probably because of the novelty). It's fun, but I think I'll go a different route this time around.

I imagine there will be a lot of them since it has the "flash" factor like the long sword. Personally I'm going charge blade.

PKrockin

Oops I meant superpound, not hammer in general. It ended up going from one of my most used hammer attacks in 3 to one of my least used hammer attacks in 3U

Oh, I never realized that. I dropped the hammer for the lance and horn once I started really getting the feel of the game. I think the mobility helps a newbie a lot, the superpound lets them avoid bouncing, and KOing a monster is an incredibly satisfying thing yet fairly easy thing to do to the first monsters. Smashing a monster in the face so hard you knock it on its ass for a good while is so satisfying it definitely helped hook me into the game and show me the appeal. So it seems like a good choice. I don't know exactly how it is in 4U though.

Owensboro

Aww hell I'm late for the OT! Can't wait to try out my first Monster Hunter Game. Played the demo for 15 hours and tried every weapon once, so I'm ready to hunt! Can't wait for my copy to show up tomorrow. Come on Amazon, don't fail me now.

Kensuke

Given I only played MH3U, does this game also use skill gems? If so, did you use gems to add in Honed Blade, or is that a skill you get from having a complete armor set? Also, if gems are still in couldn't you gem out critical eye -1?

Skill gems are back, yes. That set has Honed Blade naturally. I added in Razor Sharp with gems and my talisman. The bad thing about this set is that it has three slots (separated over three pieces). It originally had critical eye -2, but I can't get it any lower than -1 without sacrificing Razor Sharp.

Wait Ukanlos has a high rank version? What BS is this? I know he had one due in P3rd since that game didn't have G rank, but I was really hoping he'd be G rank exclusive again.

Haha, there is indeed a high rank version. The G-rank version has an even more badass set.

Looks like we get a nice welcoming package tomorrow:

"Just as you thought Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was already perfect, here’s another bonus for those of you who jump in early: starting on February 13th (release date) until March 15th you can download a free item pack including a selection of handy items and little something special…

After you get your game, you should head to the Nintendo eShop and download the Patch 1.1 item listed there; that’s our free gift for you. But what exactly comes in this nice little present? Lots of super useful items! Here’s the list:

Mega Potion x50
Honey x30
Mega Dash Juice x15
Well-done Steak x30
Max Potion x10
Lifepowder x20
Ancient Potion x5
Flash Bomb x30
Sonic Bomb x30
Pitfall Trap x15
Shock Trap x15
Super Mushroom x6
"
Edit:
SnS can be a pro hunting weapon and mastering the hammer can take a lifetime.

NewGame

Banned
Less than 12 hours remain!! I hope I can get some sleep in tonight before my binge, gonna play until g rank and then pass out.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's great seeing so much enthusiasm for a MH game here, and what appears to be a bunch of people getting it for the first time.

image.php

Kinsei

Banned
Looks like we get a nice welcoming package tomorrow:

"Just as you thought Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was already perfect, here’s another bonus for those of you who jump in early: starting on February 13th (release date) until March 15th you can download a free item pack including a selection of handy items and little something special…

After you get your game, you should head to the Nintendo eShop and download the Patch 1.1 item listed there; that’s our free gift for you. But what exactly comes in this nice little present? Lots of super useful items! Here’s the list:

Mega Potion x50
Honey x30
Mega Dash Juice x15
Well-done Steak x30
Max Potion x10
Lifepowder x20
Ancient Potion x5
Flash Bomb x30
Sonic Bomb x30
Pitfall Trap x15
Shock Trap x15
Super Mushroom x6
"

Well that's useful but doesn't that mean you can skip the first tutorial quest? What happens if you don't get the Aptonoth cutscene?

Owensboro

I did a quick search through the thread and didn't find anything:

Did we ever decide on a common chat / voice program for online hunting? Last I checked, people were looking to use LINE, Mumble, Ventrillo, or Skype. I figure we should use the email tags to get that list going too. What are we using? How do I get an invite (haven't used Skype or LINE before, don't know how the work.")

NewGame

Banned
Does MH4 have something similar to Moga Woods? What about a gardern and fishing/hunting fleet like MH3U?

Yep but you need to unlock it. Its a special mildly random generated forest map that has random monsters. It's called "expeditions".

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Did we ever decide on a common chat / voice program for online hunting? Last I checked, people were looking to use LINE, Mumble, Ventrillo, or Skype. I figure we should use the email tags to get that list going too. What are we using? How do I get an invite (haven't used Skype or LINE before, don't know how the work.")

GAF has a mumble that you can search for by looking for the mumble thread but mumble gets a lot of feed back without push to talk so I almost wanna say skype would be best?

PusherT

Yep but you need to unlock it. Its a special mildly random generated forest map that has random monsters. It's called "expeditions".
Ohh this was always my favorite from MH Tri it introduced Moga Woods got to enjoy that aspect. How is the Yian Kut Ku fight? MH1 monster there

K.Sabot

I'm also very interested in this, hunting is 100x better with good communication. I like mumble, but maybe a skype group would work too?

Skill gems are back, yes. That set has Honed Blade naturally. I added in Razor Sharp with gems and my talisman. The bad thing about this set is that it has three slots (separated over three pieces). It originally had critical eye -2, but I can't get it any lower than -1 without sacrificing Razor Sharp.

Haha, there is indeed a high rank version. The G-rank version has an even more badass set.

Damn, that's crazy. Can't wait to make the G-rank version, hope it's not too time-consuming to farm the materials for.

So I hear Nargacuga isn't going to be in this iteration? That's really disappointing, it was one of my favorite monsters to fight. Especially the Lucent variant. Is there a similar monster to it in terms of fighting experience or am I going to have to find a new monster to farm for badass armor from?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damn, that's crazy. Can't wait to make the G-rank version, hope it's not too time-consuming to farm the materials for.

So I hear Nargacuga isn't going to be in this iteration? That's really disappointing, it was one of my favorite monsters to fight. Especially the Lucent variant. Is there a similar monster to it in terms of fighting experience or am I going to have to find a new monster to farm for badass armor from?

I'm pissed they took out Agnaktor, but I'm sure I'll find some other fun fights

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindo...-starter-pack-free-items-and-a-super-surprise

Capcom blog post on getting the Starter Pack, and the Mario/Luigi costumes for your Felyne's and the Invincible Hammer!

Pulling out the important bits.

Mega Potion x50
Honey x30
Mega Dash Juice x15
Well-done Steak x30
Max Potion x10
Lifepowder x20
Ancient Potion x5
Flash Bomb x30
Sonic Bomb x30
Pitfall Trap x15
Shock Trap x15
Super Mushroom x6

It’s a pretty handy pack, wouldn’t you say? Oh, what’s that last one…? Super Mushroom, huh?

Well, that’s our little surprise gift for you! With those 6 Super Mushroom units you can walk up to the smithy (after completing the first 2 Capital “C” Challenges from the Caraveneer) and craft either the Mario or Luigi outfits for your Palico as well as 1 matching Invincible Hammer!

With the 6x Super Mushrooms, you can only make 1 set of Palico gear, so chose carefully between either Mario or Luigi. Later on, we will release the DLC quest that will allow you to make the other set of armor.

HOW TO GET YOUR FREE STARTER PACK

So if you’re reading this because you just got your copy of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and are ready to claim your free Starter Pack, including the Super Mario Bros. collaboration items, here’s a little guide on how to get make sure you get everything:

REQUIREMENTS:

- Internet connection

- A copy of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

- A save file with at least one hunter created

STEPS:

1) Go to the Nintendo eShop

2) Download and install Patch 1.1

3) Load Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

4) Go to “Your House”

5) Talk to the “Housekeeper”

6) Select “Downloadable Content”

7) Go to the “Gift Area” option

8) Download the Starter Pack

9) Exit the Download Menu

10) Check your Item Box

Meesh

Ebgames where I'm at is launching N3DS and Majoras/Monster Hunter tonight at 10:00 so I'll be mounting it a little early, can't wait. It's funny, but I've had the imports and played through them rigorously yet I'm still excite to get my hands on the NA version. I guess Mon Hun is really an insane obsession...only matched(barely) by Zelda. :3

Kensuke

I think they upped the drop chances for a lot of the rare materials considerably. Either that or I'm insanely lucky. I have 7 Rathian rubies sitting in my inventory right now. It feels like I get a rare gem every other quest. On MH3U I was farming for hours just to get one.

I feel your pain in regards to Narga. I feel like there is no monster that matches the intensity I felt while fighting him. You can get a low rank (weird) and G-rank version of his set though, by trading other monster materials with Wycoon (an NPC).

th4tguy

ugh, gaf has convinced me to buy another game. Thanks gaf. I hope I don't regret it like I did The Evil Within. Midnight eshop download for me.

As a new monster hunter player, can I get some tips?

Pics_nao

Bought the CE apparently and I have no clue why.

Anyway, I'm excited but I can't play this on my imported N3DS so I'm a little sad about that. The loading times aren't drastically different right?

I've never played a Monster Hunter before but I've always had a strong desire to, it really sounds like something I'd enjoy. I dig slower/methodical combat with long animations so you have to be careful. Maybe this'll be the one I finally jump into.

I'm curious about using the Hunting Horn weapon, at least whenever I play online. Big fan of musical weapons that buff people, love playing support-ish roles in multiplayer games. How's the horn?

You can still get the parts for the armor as far as I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom