• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

You can call it waste, there are just better glaives in the game, but they are viable. Le Miracle, Gore's last upgrade, and Reaper's Stroke are really good Dragon and poison glaives, respectively.

"best" glaive depends of the monster you are fighting, glaive benefits a lot from elemental weapons since they hit quite fast. But one of the most used glaives for speedruns is from G3 (Bounding Dalamadur), with 930 RAW damage with something like 320 blast damage.

The last bone staff upgrade has around 700 raw damage and requires elemental awakening skill to unlock its paralyze. IG is like on the most expensive weapons since it requires both upgrades for kinsects, nectars that are easily more gotten through the wycoon which means you need caravan points, and the monster materials for the respective upgrades. That's why only stealth glaive and gore's glaives are the ones worth investing in low-rank with kushala's appearing late high-rank.

So upgrading the bone staff all the way is a viable option but there are better Glaives available end game?

I mean you can kill monsters with it lol. It is viable but its damage is pathetic compare to many options, and the Stealth glaive will end up doing much more damage between the poison and the dps.

Same as with gore, and you don't want hunts to be too long if you are playing solo tbh. The only definitive as the best are the kinsects Bilbodrix/Ladytower at the lvl. 11 kinsect upgrade. They are the only ones that have it.

I think on Monster Hunter Generations this was fixed and all end game kinsects get the extract extend.

I mean you can kill monsters with it lol. It is viable but its damage is pathetic compare to many options, and the Stealth glaive will end up doing much more damage between the poison and the dps.

Same as with gore, and you don't want hunts to be too long if you are playing solo tbh. The only definitive as the best are the kinsects Bilbodrix/Ladytower at the lvl. 11 kinsect upgrade. They are the only ones that have it.

I think on Monster Hunter Generations this was fixed and all end game kinsects get the extract extend.

That's good then. I don't have to worry about nerfing the bone staff I have right now since there will be presumably better options. Will I likely keep it till the end of the story mode or will better Glaives come along before then?

Also now I'm confused. I read kinsects are specific to each Glaive. Is this only to do with the type (e.g cutting or blunt)? You can get the extender kinsect on any Glaive right?

I did a high-rank expedition to test out a new armor set, and I got a bunch of guild quests featuring stuff like Brute Tigrex, Kushy and an Oroshi Kirin/Brachydios combo.

Is this the game telling me to pick a g-rank expedition next time? '~' Oh, and what makes guild quests attractive anyway?

That's good then. I don't have to worry about nerfing the bone staff I have right now since there will be presumably better options. Will I likely keep it till the end of the story mode or will better Glaives come along before then?

Also now I'm confused. I read kinsects are specific to each Glaive. Is this only to do with the type (e.g cutting or blunt)? You can get the extender kinsect on any Glaive right?

Yeah. Just do what I said about putting on power until 96, then speed until 114, then stamina. Last upgrade pick bilbodrix/ladytower.

You have to do this to every glaive you have/want, if you want extract extend. If you have caravan points and wycoon has power+, speed+, stamina+ stock up. DON'T use the elemental nectars.

^Guild Quest give relic armor and where the best charms are. 140 guild quests give edgemaster armor, weapons and charms. This gives Honed Blade which is Sharpness+1/Attack Up (L) at the same time.

Weapon stats are random, but there are some pretty godly, better than most craftable. It is pretty RNG based so you still need to craft end game weapons. The difficulty is also there for those who want it. Monsters hit insanely hard.

Anteo

Huh, I main Switch Axe but I prefer S&S or Dual Sword to cut the tail of either Malaga. The SA hits the wings every other hit instead of the tail and loses its hitbox

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Huh, I main Switch Axe but I prefer S&S or Dual Sword to cut the tail of either Malaga. The SA hits the wings every other hit instead of the tail and loses its hitbox

Really? I usually do pretty good at cutting with a SW. Then again I always combo into sword mode for tail cutting--the stationary combo deals a ton of damage and ensures that tail is getting hit.

Did the Black Gravios for HR6 last night. So fucking painful.

I've recently been trying out Switch Axe because I needed a cutting weapon to get Magala tails for the Double Gore set, and I've been enjoying it so I stuck with it. But fighting Gravios with it? Fucking hell. What a pain.

make either seltas dbs and spam hits on the feet and it will fall over all the time, or get the seltas insect glaive and spam mount

Anteo

Really? I usually do pretty good at cutting with a SW. Then again I always combo into sword mode for tail cutting--the stationary combo deals a ton of damage and ensures that tail is getting hit.

That combo hits the wing vs gore, I'm not sure for Shagaru, havent fought one in a while. For Gore you see blood from the wing very early in the animation every other hit. I always feel I'm wasting half of my attacks there. I mean, If I wanted to get the tail and get out, I would use other weapons, but for the whole fight I'm fine with SA.

Edit: I just went to check because why not, and nvm about Shagaru. However the way Gore has his wing for most of the fight, the downwards attack from the SA in Sword mode sometimes hits the wings instead of the tail and you can see the blood there.
In any case, I prefer the S&S because you can roll much more often to reposition and focus the tail, and for the Dual Sword I just use Juices and spam evade anyways

PantsuJo

GAF, I need help right now for the event quest with Zinogre and Seregios, to obtain special pass (for Knight Armor).
Can someone please join my room and help?

My ID is PantsuJo, Room ID: 65-6573-0094-5088

Renewed

GAF, I need help right now for the event quest with Zinogre and Seregios, to obtain special pass (for Knight Armor).
Can someone please join my room and help?

My ID is PantsuJo, Room ID: 65-6573-0094-5088

I don't see the hall, did you change IDs or are you done?

Tried G Rank Furious Rajang, too out of practice

Roubjon

I am loving the Rogue Sedition (Last Seregios Great Sword). The sharpness always being purple due to its ability to get its sharpness back after you roll is so good.

Wolfe

I am loving the Rogue Sedition (Last SeregiosGreat). The sharpness always being purple due to its ability to get its sharpness back after you roll is so good.

I really enjoyed that mechanic while using the CB version and the G rank Regios armor. The combined effect of the weapon plus the Sharpness skill (razor sharp? been a while since I've played) began to feel so natural it was kind of shocking going back to having to use whetstones again lol.

I really enjoyed that mechanic while using the CB version and the G rank Regios armor. The combined effect of the weapon plus the Sharpness skill (razor sharp? been a while since I've played) began to feel so natural it was kind of shocking going back to having to use whetstones again lol.

Steady Hand. Razor Sharp (lower sharpness lost) + Mind's Eye (Not bouncing, except on Apex).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am loving the Rogue Sedition (Last SeregiosGreat). The sharpness always being purple due to its ability to get its sharpness back after you roll is so good.

I used the Seregios armors for most of High and G rank along with the GS. RS is legitimately one of the best GS's anyways and its not hard to make at all even solo.

hutna

Thanks for the help if any of you folks joined in. I need to visit this thread more; helping folks rank up is actually a lot of fun.

Anteo

Well, smoke bombs make the caravaneer's challenge easier than I expected whit not having to deal with 2 monsters at the same time

Anteo

das weak breh jk

I gave up on smoke bombs since I couldn't make that shit work.

I was about too give up too, turns out if you wait a bit (the timing seems to be consistent) only the zinogre will notice you as you enter the area so you can just spam smoke bombs and kill it.

Dreavus

I was about too give up too, turns out if you wait a bit (the timing seems to be consistent) only the zinogre will notice you as you enter the area so you can just spam smoke bombs and kill it.

Yup, this is the way to do it. I tried the "try and get them to kill each other" tactic but it was way too inconsistent. Once you get in there with a smoke bomb up and just Zinogre noticing you, you are in the clear as long as you keep refreshing the smoke. The game is surprisingly lenient on what Rajang will react to when smoke is up.

Attempting to do Sinister Astronomy (Gold Rathian + Silver Rathalos in the Tower Summit) online is hell. Everyone keeps quitting when they cart even once.

Hall ID is 34-8495-0129-3664 if anyone wants to give it a go. Would prefer people don't come armed to the teeth so it isn't a pushover. Currently HR7.

Wolfe

Haven't played in a long time and can't remember controls, so apologies if I suck haha.

Edit: be nice if smoke worked on this fight.

Owned this game for 6 months and played 7 hours in total. As a vet of the series im so frustrated, i just finished a 30 minute session, and my thumbs are in so much pain. Im so frustrated. ;_;

So, did bombs over Gogmazios last night, joined a group where two of the current members rage quit from a failed attempt. Normally I'd consider leaving but decided to take it upon myself to lower the failure rate of that quest for random groups. To that end I put together a set focusing entirely on support for that fight - wide range +2, cannon/ballista damage up, transporter for carrying cannonballs faster, all stuff focused on providing support for that specific quest. I ate for cannon damage and brought powders, potions, my own marcoal and super ballista ammo, horns, the lot.

In the fight I saved so many carts I lost count, knocked Gogmazios out of the sky with the full 10 cannon shots three or four times, nailed the dragonator twice, nailed the demolisher shot, broke his face, chest, back and dislodged the dragonator on the back with the ballista (and had to run down to hit that because nobody else seemed to realise it'd been knocked off) and generally, I think, made the difference between a fairly painless run and a triple-cart, room-disbanded run.

We kill it, skin it, go back to the room and the two English speaking guys immediately start tearing into me for not attacking it, saying I was camping while they did all the work, did no damage etc. I started asking who kept them healed when they kept getting tagged by tail swipes and beams, straight away I'm kicked from group.

Sometimes I truly despair.

Roubjon

So, did bombs over Gogmazios last night, joined a group where two of the current members rage quit from a failed attempt. Normally I'd consider leaving but decided to take it upon myself to lower the failure rate of that quest for random groups. To that end I put together a set focusing entirely on support for that fight - wide range +2, cannon/ballista damage up, transporter for carrying cannonballs faster, all stuff focused on providing support for that specific quest. I ate for cannon damage and brought powders, potions, my own marcoal and super ballista ammo, horns, the lot.

In the fight I saved so many carts I lost count, knocked Gogmazios out of the sky with the full 10 cannon shots three or four times, nailed the dragonator twice, nailed the demolisher shot, broke his face, chest, back and dislodged the dragonator on the back with the ballista (and had to run down to hit that because nobody else seemed to realise it'd been knocked off) and generally, I think, made the difference between a fairly painless run and a triple-cart, room-disbanded run.

We kill it, skin it, go back to the room and the two English speaking guys immediately start tearing into me for not attacking it, saying I was camping while they did all the work, did no damage etc. I started asking who kept them healed when they kept getting tagged by tail swipes and beams, straight away I'm kicked from group.

What jerks. I love it when someone is on top of all of that stuff when killing that thing considering I hate managing all of that.

tuffy

These sorts of horror stories are part of the reason I steer clear of randoms. The reason there is a Battlequarters is so people can nail Gog with binders, cannons and dragonators, so it's bizarre to think that someone keeping on top of those things is somehow a negative or that the hunt would've gone smoother without.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

People are so stupid, I am so sorry. You're like the perfect group member.

Renewed

Now you'll be having a fun time. Heading to work now so if you ask for help, I'll be there in... 9 hours lol

Also reading that previous story pisses me off, sorry about that Reyn.

VandalD

I just got to G3.

*checks G3 quests*

I guess I'm done with this game.
That was the kind of reaction I guess I had when I got a little into G1. Every time I've tried to solo Tidal Najarala it went badly for me. It doesn't feel like I'm making a dent in it, and I don't think getting carried through it is the right way to go either. Maybe I've just been in the wrong mindset. G rank monsters seem to be giant health sponges made for multiplayer.

Anteo

That was the kind of reaction I guess I had when I got a little into G1. Every time I've tried to solo Tidal Najarala it went badly for me. It doesn't feel like I'm making a dent in it, and I don't think getting carried through it is the right way to go either. Maybe I've just been in the wrong mindset. G rank monsters seem to be giant health sponges made for multiplayer.

Tidal is just weird like that. I had to solo one a couple of days ago for mats, it feels like he punishes blademastets easily, his body becomes a hitbox when he moves. He also soaked a lot of damage, made me feel I was not doing any progress and then it suddenlu died

Just got to HR 5 and am at 9 stars in caravan. Would love to play with some people on GAF. Although I've had pretty good luck with randoms. My goal is to at least reach G rank before Generations comes out. Let me know if you add me.
My friend code is 0791-5301-2139

iosefe

I'm depressed. Got 4/5 crystal bones and 14 minutes left. Shit ain't respawning, guys.

Send help

*edit* fuck. I walk up to a blue node and it just disappears. I needed that!

Anteo

Is chameleos another fight were the monster has a lot of HP compared to other monsters in the same rank? It reminded me of duramboros in MH3, so much HP that I almost run out of time every time.

tuffy

Cham's base HP of 6,400 is quite large even compared to other elder dragons like Teostra (5,300) or Kushala Daora (4,200). I've seen 2 hunter Guild quests take a surprisingly long time to bring him down.

iosefe

so i got a n3DS and i honestly feel like it made me a somewhat better hunter

maybe it's the placebo effect talking, but it feels so good

Top Bottom