• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

At the Shagaru Magara now.

Aka: beginning of the actual game.

Shagaru is one of my favorite fights in the entire series. The combination of the arena and music are just perfect. I'm not one to ever put much stock in Monster Hunter's story, but fighting Shagaru really did feel like a climactic part of something.

Shengar

Shagaru is one of my favorite fights in the entire series. The combination of the arena and music are just perfect. I'm not one to ever put much stock in Monster Hunter's story, but fighting Shagaru really did feel like a climactic part of something.
Shagaru Magala IS the Michael Bay of Monster Hunter.

tuffy

Just wasted 30 mins with a trap Nerscylla mission. Other players didn't bring traps and I used both of mine when someone falsely called it ready twice. Waited for supply, then the dude placed it and the bug stayed on webs or zipped over it for 5 minutes.
I've learned that with Nerscylla, it's often easiest to just wait for her to go to limp off and go to sleep. Place a trap underneath while she's dangling, wake with tranqs, and done. Otherwise, as we've both discovered, it's really hard to keep her on the ground where a trap will work.

Ken

Are status weapons ever worth it over elemental (for longsword especially)?

Elemental really wreck when you bring the right ones but keeping up a weapons library for all elements, as well as sets if you're going for specific element+3 skill can be time consuming.

Both are good, I say. Really depends on what your preference is: doing big DPS or helping others do big DPS.

upandaway

Officially passed 100 hours, still not close to finishing single player. I'm only halfway through HR3 in the guild too. I haven't really done any kind of farming, just doing quests as they come. How is this game so big.

I'd say melee weapons aren't very good for sleeping, ranged is way better at that. Para can be really good on specific weapon classes, but only online, and poison is good if the monster is relatively weak to it (on those same specific weapon classes).

By yourself, status weapons are only "OK" since you're the only one that can capitalize off of it (unless it's poison).
If you bring a paralysis weapon, though, a team of 4 will love you forever and forget about all the tripping you did to them.

Ken

Officially passed 100 hours, still not close to finishing single player. I'm only halfway through HR3 in the guild too. I haven't really done any kind of farming, just doing quests as they come. How is this game so big.

I'd say melee weapons aren't very good for sleeping, ranged is way better at that. Para can be really good on specific weapon classes, but only online, and poison is good if the monster is relatively weak to it (on those same specific weapon classes).

DB and SnS can apply status very well.

By yourself, status weapons are only "OK" since you're the only one that can capitalize off of it (unless it's poison).
If you bring a paralysis weapon, though, a team of 4 will love you forever and forget about all the tripping you did to them.

Haha I'll keep this in mind for when I start playing more online and stick to the elemental path for now.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah and I'd add to that LS and IG, maybe SA/CB if you play up the phial really well, and that's about it. Lance can do it too somewhat but not as well.

I've been CB'ing for 270 hours and I'll add that if you want to apply statuses, you'll definitely want status attack up. CB's strongest paralysis weapon is still really low value. Most I've ever gotten is 2 applications on Jho, but things with less health, I'd only get 1 and it's just not worth it.

Any way, applying statuses with CB isn't my thing, though it's possible. I'm more into ridiculous damage with element phials.

Faiz

I felt that way in Low Rank Caravan but the HR7 urgent is destroying my confidence in my ability to play this game. Been trying to get it since Saturday and it feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall at this point.

Shengar

Damn right.

Have a lot of worn weapons to upgrade.
Well, if you let me become your accomplice I'll give the quest to you ;)
(I'm still very suck at hammering monster head so it's usually takes me 1 hour of frustation before able to pull one)
It's a good one too, where the Basarios spawned right after the starting area. Create the room and I'll give to you.

deim0s

Well, if you let me become your accomplice I'll give the quest to you ;)
(I'm still very suck at hammering monster head so it's usually takes me 1 hour of frustation before able to pull one)
It's a good one too, where the Basarios spawned right after the starting area. Create the room and I'll give to you.

Sure. Have a buddy with me.

53-9405-7763-1296

Faiz

Ask GAF for help!

I wish I could but I don't get a lot of time to play at home - I get 15-20 minutes at a time on a good night. I don't want to be that guy who has to bolt after my urgent.

Mostly I play on my work commute and work breaks. So I'm pretty much stuck with soloing it at this point.

In wish I could but I don't get a lot of time to play at home - I get 15-20 minutes at a time on a good night. I don't want to be that guy who has to bolt after my urgent.

Mostly I play on my work commute and work breaks. So I'm pretty much stuck with soloing it at this point.

If you're available in 12 hours (lol) I'll help you. I only get time to play during U.S. Evening hours, and I'm totally cool with doing an urgent then bailing. Honestly, as long as you're upfront about it, most GAF people don't care either.

*Paging Merydia for a fight against Michael Bay

HE SAID HR7. WHAT YOU WANT IS QUITE DIFFERENT.

In wish I could but I don't get a lot of time to play at home - I get 15-20 minutes at a time on a good night. I don't want to be that guy who has to bolt after my urgent.

I don't think anyone would mind if you explained that part ^.

While I was playing religiously, Kitty, Sheng, and I all helped people in the thread with urgents and immediately dispersed right after.

I'm currently not playing due to Bloodborne, but Sheng and Kitty are still around, and hell, I would gladly hop on to help for an urgent even while playing Bloodborne if I'm in the thread when you ask.

deim0s

I wish I could but I don't get a lot of time to play at home - I get 15-20 minutes at a time on a good night. I don't want to be that guy who has to bolt after my urgent.

Just post here when you need something and a room. When i find it and ill make time to help.

I'll eventually figure out how to properly mix evasion 1, mycology and handicraft. I'm guaranteed the set will look like ass but isn't that the point of mix sets? :p

My mixed bow set looks godlike!

But I'm terrible unless I have a melee weapon in hand.
Sounds like my gunlance set except I still die cause lol beam spam.

I found something made of:
which gives Sharpness +1, Evasion +1, and has 10 slots left over for Mycology and something else. But there's probably an easier way.
How do you make the tempest stuff? And I think if I had access to G brute coins I could think about making a mix with guild knight and kaiser parts.

tuffy

How do you make the tempest stuff? And I think if I had access to G brute coins I could think about making a mix with guild knight and kaiser parts.
Looks like those might be event pieces that aren't out yet. But if you've got a Handicraft +3 charm or equivalent, you can swap those out for something with Evasion, like more Nargacuga X bits. In any event, Handicraft is the more "expensive" skill so if you can cover that with armor pieces or a charm, the rest should fall into place pretty easily.

Looks like those might be event pieces that aren't out yet. But if you've got a Handicraft +3 charm or equivalent, you can swap those out for something with Evasion, like more Nargacuga X bits. In any event, Handicraft is the more "expensive" skill so if you can cover that with armor pieces or a charm, the rest should fall into place pretty easily.
Well they did make it a bit *easier to get in this game thanks to the +3 gem that exists now. *assuming you have 3 slots anyway.

Here's what I came up with in Athena's ASS (It generated one that gave Evasion +2, so I went with that)

Solutions found: 2689
Showing first 1000 solutions only:

Skull Visage (or anything with Torso Inc)
Kushala Cista X
Nargacuga Braces X
Kushala Cocoon X
Empress Greaves X (or anything with 3 slots)
-----------------
2x Artisan Jewel 3
3x Fungiform Jewel 1
1 slot spare
0 Difficulty
-----------------
Evasion +2
This uses no talisman

tuffy

Well they did make it a bit *easier to get in this game thanks to the +3 gem that exists now. *assuming you have 3 slots anyway.
I'd actually forgotten about that myself. That means you could cover the Handicraft points of those Tempest parts with any 3 slot armor piece or charm. It's so much easier you might actually be able to fit in more matching parts!

Faiz

Thanks for all the offers of help guys. As it happens on my lunch break I finally prevailed. 25 minutes and nearly all of my pots, but no carts.

Not looking forward to going back to farm a phosgem.

wiibomb

anyone knows about good High Rank gunner sets? I've been missing being gunner and I don't know where to start, I'm at 3 quest from finishing all the high rank, so I could potentially get the armors from high rank elders and whatnot, but don't know where to start now

Tom_Cody

I'm up through 7-star in the caravan missions but I've done next to nothing in the guild/online missions.

Question: Do enemy HP (or other numbers) scale differently if you play the guild missions online or offline? Like if I play offline (and thus by myself) will monster stats differ from playing online with 4 players? Are you purely incentivized to play with other people?

Related question: what dictates if your palicos will join you? Do they simply stay home if are playing online, or does it matter if other players join you?

As I venture out of the caravan missions, I'm essentially just wondering if there are any variations in the Guild missions depending on how you play. Are they always the same, or do factors like hunter count (1-4) and online status (on or off) alter them.

I'm up through 7-star in the caravan missions but I've done next to nothing in the guild/online missions.

Question: Do enemy HP (or other numbers) scale differently if you play the guild missions online or offline? Like if I play offline (and thus by myself) will monster stats differ from playing online with 4 players? Are you purely incentivized to play with other people?

Related question: what dictates if your palicos will join you? Do they simply stay home if are playing online, or does it matter if other players join you?
Somebody said that monsters in Gathering Hall Quests don't scale to one player, they're all built for 2-4 players. Caravan Quests (storyline quests) do have lowered HP in comparison.

As for Palicoes, 1 player: Ace and Secondary, 2 players, they bring their respective Aces, and 3-4 players the Palicoes don't join the quest.

Shengar

anyone knows about good High Rank gunner sets? I've been missing being gunner and I don't know where to start, I'm at 3 quest from finishing all the high rank, so I could potentially get the armors from high rank elders and whatnot, but don't know where to start now
Zinogre Z

tuffy

For light bowgunning, you could get the Artian S chest, arms and waist to get Bonus Shot and use the remaining pieces for damage or evasion boosters. Lots of high rank expeditions required, but very little actual hunting.

For heavy bowgunning, something like Lagombi S gets you Evade Extender. Though if you have a good Evade Dist charm, Rath Soul or even High Metal S is preferable since they have some attack skills.

upandaway

I've made my HR set when I just started it, so you probably have better options, but I got the High Metal S gunner set. Effortless since you can buy it, and with a decent charm I got Defense M, Normal Up and Normal S+, giving me decent choice on the guns.

Speaking as a gunner myself, you can't go wrong with Rath Soul. It's a fantastic set. A lot of tough enemies deal fire damage, too, so that extra fire resistance will be great.

I'm not a fan of the Artian S line. Bonus Shot is a help and a hindrance at the same time. On one hand, more dps for less ammo. On the other, every additional shot locks you in place for that much longer.If you're playing with 3 others, that may be okay because the enemy may not attack you. If not, you're stunlocking yourself into place for far too long.

On an unrelated note, I tried for 50 minutes to get that Basarios glitch for Earth Crystals on my own and still haven't done it. First tried with LBG... nope. Used one with RF Crag and Normal 2s. For one, the head is tough to hit. Two, once you do hit it the right amount, you have to trip it with Normal, then reload and hit his head again, which is very very difficult to do in time. I couldn't do it. So I switched to hammer, which I've never used before. That was much easier to figure out, but now I have no clue when he's going to get dizzy.
Ugh. I'm going to have to do it with a group.

Top Bottom