• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite North American PSP demo up on PSN today

Teknoman

Game really is awesome with MP and headsets, but the demo was kinda bad for newcomers. It does have a control diagram, so that helps.

ravien56

Teknoman said:
Game really is awesome with MP and headsets, but the demo was kinda bad for newcomers. It does have a control diagram, so that helps.
it sucks also that you cant view the equipment either, its prolly custom but still.

Teknoman

Yeah, the whole time I wanted to be using my own character and snag some of the materials. Some of the new items seem helpful in MP too (stat healing horn items).

Defunkled

Teknoman said:
What the? My room just got kicked from ad hoc party? Strange... we had a full 4 person party too, just beat up the first of the 3 in the swamp.

It's ok because the giant baboon shat all over us, both figuratively and literally.

Teknoman

NomarTyme said:
Wait a minute... the Demo can be played on Ad hoc party?

Flawlessly. No framerate slowdown, lag or anything.

Capcom along with lots of other PSN users have been bugging Sony about bringing the final or even beta version of party to regions outside japan...but no news yet. Seems to work perfectly as is. Just needs option translations.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
sony's probably saving that ad-hoc party thing for e3 most likely, for whatever reason.

tyagi

Is it possible to play this online using XLink Kai instead of through the PS3? I've got XLink all set up for MHF2.

I've tried it a few times, but there isn't a MHFU room or anything, so not really sure what's going on.

Just tried it, beat all 3 quests.

More or less confirmed my assumptions about Unite. The demo isn't giving me too much that Freedom 2 isn't already. I'll just hold out for MH3.

Defuser

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

More or less confirmed my assumptions about Unite. The demo isn't giving me too much that Freedom 2 isn't already. I'll just hold out for MH3.
Assumptions? It's been known that Unite is just MHP2 with more content.

eznark

Banned
Well I tried. I just don't think I get it. Tried to kill some dinosaur bird twice and after like 25 minutes in each battle I died. That's about enough Monster Hunter for me.

ravien56

eznark said:
Well I tried. I just don't think I get it. Tried to kill some dinosaur bird twice and after like 25 minutes in each battle I died. That's about enough Monster Hunter for me.
ehh theres items u gotta use tho that help you such as the traps...and you can roll which helps a lot and the weapon you choose makes a huge difference, ive played 140 hrs into mhf2 and i will die if i use hammer or great sword. its just a matter of observing the enemioes attacks, wait for it to attack then go in. the game makes it a lot easier too because the monster sometimes goes for the cat.

ravien56

Aru said:
I kinda like it but I think I'll get tired of the game quickly.

So no buy for me.
yea you'd think...but theres a reason why everyone who plays it a lot plays it for more than 100 hrs.

eznark

Banned
ravien56 said:
ehh theres items u gotta use tho that help you such as the traps...and you can roll which helps a lot and the weapon you choose makes a huge difference, ive played 140 hrs into mhf2 and i will die if i use hammer or great sword. its just a matter of observing the enemioes attacks, wait for it to attack then go in. the game makes it a lot easier too because the monster sometimes goes for the cat.

I was dual wielding swords. I saw no traps. Maybe I'll try again with a different load out.

ravien56

eznark said:
I was dual wielding swords. I saw no traps. Maybe I'll try again with a different load out.
try using just sword or longsword and looking at the manual to see the different types of attacks, also you might like ranged, bow is pretty sick. maybe its a different quest that has the shock trap, also i think all the quests come with barrel bombs, try putting 2 of the large barrel bombs down, then when the monster comes running at you put a small barrel bomb down and watch that shit blow.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

It Freedom 2 with balance tweaks and a built in expansion that adds ~200% more content.

eznark said:
Well yeah, the demo kind of just throws you into it. Not how I would reccomend playing Monster Hunter for the first time.

It took me a long time to get up to the point where I could take out monsters like in the Demo. The real games start you off slow, have training missions, and ease you into it a lot better.

ravien56

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Well yeah, the demo kind of just throws you into it. Not how I would reccomend playing Monster Hunter for the first time.

It took me a long time to get up to the point where I could take out monsters like in the Demo. The real games start you off slow, have training missions, and ease you into it a lot better.
this. the first real boss you take down in mhf2 is a fucking giaprey, this little bitch raptor compared to the shit your taking down in the demo.

Teknoman

You have to use items like a "real hunter" would. Use bombs, shock traps, noise bombs to screw up monster's hearing and stun it, etc.

tyagi

For those who're trying MHFU and haven't played any other Monster Hunter games, it might be worth setting some expectations about the game.

Firstly, the structure of the demo is roughly what you'll get in the main game. You pick up quests from a couple of different places in your village, generally these can be done alone or in a group. The group play is where the real fun of Monster Hunter is at and this involves either face-to-face ad-hoc wireless, using something like XLink Kai, or using the PS3 Ad Hoc Party mode which people have talked about.

There isn't a storyline to the game. There are no new villages to go and discover. This is not an open world, roam around, kill monsters, level up, sort of game.

What you do do is pick up increasingly challenging quests, collect crafting materials, develop your home and your farm, and have a great deal of fun with other online players.

Personally, when I first tried Monster Hunter, it didn't click at all. I ran out of the village looking for things to explore, got killed by some big creature, found it all too hard, and put it down. However, I read some enthusiastic reviews and articles on it, so figured there must be something in there somewhere. I picked up MHF2 for PSP and after a few hours' play going through the tutorials (there are excellent tutorials and training quests), the skill and depth of the game really clicked.

This is one of those games that gives back double what you put in to it. There is a steep learning curve, but once you've got the basic fighting skills and camera techniques, it becomes very very rewarding.

ravien56

tyagi said:
For those who're trying MHFU and haven't played any other Monster Hunter games, it might be worth setting some expectations about the game.

Firstly, the structure of the demo is roughly what you'll get in the main game. You pick up quests from a couple of different places in your village, generally these can be done alone or in a group. The group play is where the real fun of Monster Hunter is at and this involves either face-to-face ad-hoc wireless, using something like XLink Kai, or using the PS3 Ad Hoc Party mode which people have talked about.

There isn't a storyline to the game. There are no new villages to go and discover. This is not an open world, roam around, kill monsters, level up, sort of game.

What you do do is pick up increasingly challenging quests, collect crafting materials, develop your home and your farm, and have a great deal of fun with other online players.

Personally, when I first tried Monster Hunter, it didn't click at all. I ran out of the village looking for things to explore, got killed by some big creature, found it all too hard, and put it down. However, I read some enthusiastic reviews and articles on it, so figured there must be something in there somewhere. I picked up MHF2 for PSP and after a few hours' play going through the tutorials (there are excellent tutorials and training quests), the skill and depth of the game really clicked.

This is one of those games that gives back double what you put in to it. There is a steep learning curve, but once you've got the basic fighting skills and camera techniques, it becomes very very rewarding.
couldnt of said it better, i remember renting this on psp, i had no idea wtf to do, i didnt even know how to barbeque, i was getting my ass kicked by bitch raptors, i returned it asap, then later my friend picked it up and the game cost $15, i picked it up and got training by a pro, how to do things, combining items, making traps, i didnt even know you could capture monsters. im 150 hours in now and still prolly got another 100-200 hours left, its so good^^

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
eznark said:

The traps (and other goodies) are in the item box in the area that you start off in. Just run up to the box and load up your char with stuff and you're good to go. The shock traps and bombs are really, really good when you have to face off with the big monsters like the ones in the demo.

ravien56

Oichi said:
The traps (and other goodies) are in the item box in the area that you start off in. Just run up to the box and load up your char with stuff and you're good to go. The shock traps and bombs are really, really good when you have to face off with the big monsters like the ones in the demo.
as already stated before, demo should of included a fucking giaprey or bullfango, not some crazy shit like a gypceros and khezu. if this was my first time playing the demo, i woulda got my ass kicked asap.

Teknoman

Y2Kev said:
Does the BBQ music change in MHP2 vs. MHP2G? The BBQ music rocks.

Nope, its the same. Also Defunkled cant cook :lol I got in on MHF2 late, but I cant wait to get in on MHF:U at its start, along with ad-hoc party.

Really hope they have something to say about this at E3...

EDIT: Should I be holding onto armor spheres? I have a bad habit of hording stuff...and being indecisive about armor creation.

Oh and MH soundtrack is awesome.

Teknoman said:
Nope, its the same. Also Defunkled cant cook :lol I got in on MHF2 late, but I cant wait to get in on MHF:U at its start, along with ad-hoc party.

Really hope they have something to say about this at E3...

EDIT: Should I be holding onto armor spheres? I have a bad habit of hording stuff...and being indecisive about armor creation.

Oh and MH soundtrack is awesome.
Yes.

And don't bother upgrading armour with spheres until you get G ranked gear.

Teknoman

One more, anyone got tips for lance/gunlance type weapons? Regular blades and projectile weapons are self explanatory, but lances seem to need more skill than normal.

They say they have really high damage and count as piercing, which causes direct damage to anything...but seem really cumbersome to use. Is that just the trade off?

Issun23

Haven't played a Monster Hunter since the old Monster Hunter 1 PS2 days... well not counting the 15 minutes I spent with Portable 2nd. I tried this demo and I think I'll get back to hunting. Didn't take long to get used to Heavy Bowgun controls again.

First time playing and I'm digging the demo. Getting my ass kicked, but experimenting. I also like the slow-swinging hard-hitting sword action which brings to mind Shadow of Rome or my favorite gigantic (but slow) swords in Onimusha 4.

Then of course there is more variety with other weaponry to check out, such as bows.

The controls diagram on the main menu is a must-peruse for any new player. I have a bonus $20 extra trade credit with Amazon that can be applied to this...may well do so.

demo confirmed it for me; hellllllooooooo katana goodbye sword and shield combo. Well I should say the sword and shield is mainly something I'd be up to use on group hunts for the element stat stacking but for solo play I'm sticking with the long sword. I really enjoyed how well my felyne AI was, he buffed when right before I was unleashing beastly combos. Choices... hold out for Tri or jump on this come release date.... :lol

Teknoman

I say if you've got a PS3 thats ad-hoc party capable, join the party. I still want to defeat that 3 monster demo boss rush though. 4p online.

Issun23

Tried the second quest, the Plum Hermitaur one (is that a Diablos skull on a lobster?) with a Heavy Bowgun. Had some problems at first since it was the first time fighting it, and died once. The controls transferred very well onto PSP.

I then battled Hypnocatrice with the Hunting Horn. Awesome weapon, looks to be lighter than the hammer but has good power. Stat boosts are the cherry on top.

I'm so getting the game come June. I'll try playing online later, is the headset a must? I don't have one, yet.

Teknoman

Issun23 said:
Tried the second quest, the Plum Hermitaur one (is that a Diablos skull on a lobster?) with a Heavy Bowgun. Had some problems at first since it was the first time fighting it, and died once. The controls transferred very well onto PSP.

I then battled Hypnocatrice with the Hunting Horn. Awesome weapon, looks to be lighter than the hammer but has good power. Stat boosts are the cherry on top.

I'm so getting the game come June. I'll try playing online later, is the headset a must? I don't have one, yet.

It's not a must, but really helps plans come together/ makes things a little more fun. Ad-hoc party has a standard text chat mode as well.

Issun23

Teknoman said:
It's not a must, but really helps plans come together/ makes things a little more fun. Ad-hoc party has a standard text chat mode as well.

I'll have to get a nice headset for the full game then. Will still give online play a try this afternoon. I remember the very first time against Lao on the first game, the team play was awesome.

Darkpen

Banned
So I tried to play this demo, and it just ended in frustration. Is this game just simply meant to be played in co-op, or is it even remotely possible to defeat these things by yourself?

Teknoman

Darkpen said:
So I tried to play this demo, and it just ended in frustration. Is this game just simply meant to be played in co-op, or is it even remotely possible to defeat these things by yourself?

Its possible...just for some inexplicable reason, they picked some of what seem to be really strong monsters for the demo. Really should've gone with some beginner stuff.

Issun23

Darkpen said:

It's totally possible to defeat them on your own. It just takes some practice getting used to the controls, and most importantly the way Monster Hunter combat works. You have to learn monster attack patterns, then jump in when there's an opening.

It also takes some effort getting used to the different weapons. The demo doesn't really ease players in, even though the armour set and weapons are pretty good compared to what you start the games with.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Darkpen said:
it takes a good long while to get 'good' at MH. Even at 300 hours, I still feel like I'm learning.

Just beat the first Hypnobird using barely any potions and I wasn't even trying very hard. The demo is way easier than the full game. The equipment they give you is WAY higher than what you would normally have at the point you would be fighting this thing.

They are giving you G rank armor and G rank weapons with purple sharpness while the monster you are fighting is low rank.

Oh and they reversed the X and O buttons compared the Japanese version. This is driving me CRAZZZY!! I have like 400 hours of game time with the JP version so it is really hard to get used to this.

Going to try the second monster now.

Edit: Cleared the 2nd and 3rd quests now. 2nd one was either an upper level or maybe G rank. But it was a crab which is one of the easiest types of creatures to beat in the game.

3rd one was easy. I'm a Khezu (FuruFuru) expert so that part was cake. The next one was a joke... I think it was a normal level. The final green monkey was definitely a G level. But still for a G level he was very weak. Probably weakened for this demo or because you are fighting 3 monsters that quest.

Defunkled

Teknoman said:
One more, anyone got tips for lance/gunlance type weapons? Regular blades and projectile weapons are self explanatory, but lances seem to need more skill than normal.

They say they have really high damage and count as piercing, which causes direct damage to anything...but seem really cumbersome to use. Is that just the trade off?

You have to use the jump-back (X button) a lot. It lets you chain each string of 3 stabs. Also, you have to get used to just guarding against things instead of trying to dodge.

robox

just wondering, if anybody's going to make a monhun fu thread in the online forum?
should there be one? i really haven't used the online forum before. haven't needed to

NomarTyme

PuppetMaster said:
Just beat the first Hypnobird using barely any potions and I wasn't even trying very hard. The demo is way easier than the full game. The equipment they give you is WAY higher than what you would normally have at the point you would be fighting this thing.

They are giving you G rank armor and G rank weapons with purple sharpness while the monster you are fighting is low rank.

Oh and they reversed the X and O buttons compared the Japanese version. This is driving me CRAZZZY!! I have like 400 hours of game time with the JP version so it is really hard to get used to this.

Going to try the second monster now.

Edit: Cleared the 2nd and 3rd quests now. 2nd one was either an upper level or maybe G rank. But it was a crab which is one of the easiest types of creatures to beat in the game.

3rd one was easy. I'm a Khezu (FuruFuru) expert so that part was cake. The next one was a joke... I think it was a normal level. The final green monkey was definitely a G level. But still for a G level he was very weak. Probably weakened for this demo or because you are fighting 3 monsters that quest.
You can try the multi player solo if want a little challenge. Although they fight the same, but the health is hell a lot more than single.

Teknoman

r - b - x said:
just wondering, if anybody's going to make a monhun fu thread in the online forum?
should there be one? i really haven't used the online forum before. haven't needed to

Might not need to be one, depends on the interest level in the normal official topic for X-link or Ad-Hoc party.

Top Bottom