• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite North American PSP demo up on PSN today

+hard as balls
+still kinda fun
+the cat is annoying

questions:
-in the real game can i just wander around the areas killing monsters and collecting shit, without being timed or locked to a hunt/mission? i wanted to gather more stuff and kill more normal monsters but i was too worried about killing the mark in time.

-is there some special thing im supposed to do when my mark is stunned and laying on the ground other than beating the shit out of it?

-wtf are those big ass barrels for? i set them down and they do nothing.

Timo

I'm playing it by myself, so I can see how I might be missing the appeal, but, i don't really get why everyone likes it so much.

Teknoman

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
+hard as balls
+still kinda fun
+the cat is annoying

questions:
-in the real game can i just wander around the areas killing monsters and collecting shit, without being timed or locked to a hunt/mission? i wanted to gather more stuff and kill more normal monsters but i was too worried about killing the mark in time.

-is there some special thing im supposed to do when my mark is stunned and laying on the ground other than beating the shit out of it?

- Yeah lots of missions dont have timers on them, or at least have really long ones

- Not really. You can capture them if you trap them when they are really weak then pelt them with sleep bombs.

- Barrels are bombs. Big ones dont have a fuse, and have to be hit to explode. Either shoot it, throw a boomerang at it, or just wait for it to shoot or hit it.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
+hard as balls
+still kinda fun
+the cat is annoying

questions:

1) Yes you can. There is a mission type called "Gathering" and all you do in that mission is walk around the area collecting items or killing whatever is there till your time is up(Like 30 or 50 minutes) or you call it quits and turn in the ticket they give you.

2) Stunned from a trap? Or stunned with stars over the head? If you've trapped them with a shock trap or pitfall you can use traq bombs to put them to sleep if they're weak(~25%hp). Most monsters have a sign to show they're weak, like they start to limp. If you toss two traq bombs and it doesn't fall asleep, then it's not weak enough.

If you K.O'd them(Stars over the head) its free time and just go to town on it.

3) The big barrel bombs have no fuse, so you'll need to hit them yourself but you'll likely take the damage, so throw something at it like a stone or rang, have a monster set it off(Not likely) or have a small bomb do it since they do have a fuse on them.

Edit:
Timo said:
I'm playing it by myself, so I can see how I might be missing the appeal, but, i don't really get why everyone likes it so much.

The game can be boring solo but is fun with others.

The thing about the game is, it's hard, and it will kick your ass. You need to step up and get better with your weapon and learn the monster's patterns or learn a new weapon to take it on. You'll feel like shit after getting beaten a few times but once you kill him, you feel like you're on top of the world. It's about mastering the controls, weapon and monsters instead of grinding 5 more levels so Boss X's mega party beam doesn't one-shot everyone. Plus you get to make some cool weapons/armors.

I recently acquired a PSP and I'm rather tempted to get this, but I want to wait for MH3. :\ Would the basic formula still be the same between this and MH3? If I get it, I'd rather not be burned out by the time MH3 comes out.

tyagi

Yes, the core game will be the same. You will have more controller options on the Wii, so you could choose to use Wiimore+chuck or classic controller. On the PSP the controls take a bit of getting used do if you're used to a "lock-on" style of gameplay. But with practice, the PSP version is highly rewarding.

NomarTyme

tyagi said:
Does anyone know whether Sony will be releasing the EU/US Ad-Hoc Party software alongside MHF:Unite?
Nothing yet. I thought they would announce in E3, but look like sony don't give a shit about this.

ninj4junpei said:
I recently acquired a PSP and I'm rather tempted to get this, but I want to wait for MH3. :\ Would the basic formula still be the same between this and MH3? If I get it, I'd rather not be burned out by the time MH3 comes out.
We don't even have a final date for the Wii release for US.... you'll have time to recover after you play Monster Hunter Unite.

Also anybody making the official thread??

Top Bottom