• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Monster Hunter Portable 3 Vita" Spotted On UK Games Retailer Play.com

iceatcs

You are missing one:

http://i.imgur.com/KtNn2.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I know ur post is photoshopped on new snapshot of Play.com site.
But the 4 games picture in the quote have no topbar, I'm wondering why. I think someone photoshop OP picture on new one but didn't realise the topbar missing. GTA, Tales and FF are not real then (and of course Pokemon fake too :P ).

Luigiv

lol, you wouldn't see a G in the western title regardless !

Given MH3rd didn't happen, i'd assume any release now would be Monster hunter Unite 3 -

Actually that's a good point. Forgot about Unite for a moment. Still, my point stands, until something (preferably official) suggests otherwise, I'm going assume a straight port (since that's what everything up until now suggests)

If Capcom does announce a 3rd G then I'm going to assume that won't be a Vita exclusive either. Capcom's best option there would be to go PSP, Vita multiplat. There's just way more money for both Capcom and Sony in that approach*.

But those are just my predictions. If I'm wrong and the Vita does get an exclusive "new" Monster Hunter then I'll happily admit defeat. If I'm right I get bragging rights. That's the fun of it, isn't it, Mr 800k?

*Ok to clarify what I mean, here's an armchair breakdown.

Reasonable estimated sales for first financial year:
-Multiplat: 4.5 - 5 million
-Vita Exclusive: 1 - 1.5 million

Profitability for Sony:
-Multiplat: Licencing fee from 4.5 - 5 million units subtract no money hat [large net gain]
-Vita Exclusive: Licencing fee from 1 - 1.5 million units subtract money hat to make up for Capcom's "lost" 3.5 million copies [large net loss]

I just don't think it's smart business practise for Sony to try money hat this one. Whilst it would prove to be better for the Vita's long term health, after the PS3 disaster, Sony really isn't in the position to go after such an aggressive loss leading strategy.

Oppo

I don't play Monster Hunter at all, but honestly I would be really surprised if Capcom didn't make a MH for Vita. It's kind of a no brainer.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Actually that's a good point. Forgot about Unite for a moment. Still, my point stands, until something (preferably official) suggests otherwise, I'm going assume a straight port (since that's what everything up until now suggests)

As far as i'm concerned nothing suggests -anything- right now :) I certainly don't put any stock in this play.com farce :p

If Capcom does announce a 3rd G then I'm going to assume that won't be a Vita exclusive either. Capcom's best option there would be to go PSP, Vita multiplat. There's just way more money for both Capcom and Sony in that approach*.

That would depend on what 3rd G ends up -being- and what it implies that 3G -was-. Now - i'm treading on glass here - so i'm going to make sure that this is to highlight that we _simply_ don't know. To further clarify, my guess would be that Capcom and Nintendo have a huge -NINTENDO- multiplatform strategy for MH right now and i don't expect any MH of note to be revealed for Vita any time soon. I agree with what you are saying and suspect we may well get MH3rdG PSP - but unless something drastic has happened, Vita may well not get announced unless Sony port it themselves (?)

ANYWAYS, that said - At the moment the (and my!) assumption is that the 3DS is the premium version. But what if that is not the case? Around the time of Capcom going to Nintendo 3rdP was just out - they could probably see the 3DS as a good fit for a port up of the Wii version, outsourced to 8ing. IF MH for Vita turns out to be a significantly upgrade version of MH then we're in an all new territory. However, after seeing MH4 presentation.... i doubt a scenario where investment to upgrade for any theoretical Vita version would be made! Alas for Sony, right now the only cast iron Vita machine mover at the current price tag for Japan would be a *premium* monster hunter game that's Vita exclusive (i.e. online from the Vita, graphical upgrade, megaton of new content).

But those are just my predictions. If I'm wrong and the Vita does get an exclusive "new" Monster Hunter then I'll happily admit defeat. If I'm right I get bragging rights. That's the fun of it, isn't it, Mr 800k?

Indeed it is! The 800k prediction isn't as controversial as people think, it was wrong but the bulk of the userbase is STILL up for grabs. 1.4m out of a 5m pie means MH can have a lot of sway (though for Sony that window will slam shut come MH4 3DS).

*Ok to clarify what I mean, here's an armchair breakdown.

Reasonable estimated sales for first financial year:
-Multiplat: 4.5 - 5 million
-Vita Exclusive: 1 - 1.5 million

Profitability for Sony:
-Multiplat: Licencing fee from 4.5 - 5 million units subtract no money hat [large net gain]
-Vita Exclusive: Licencing fee from 1 - 1.5 million units subtract money hat to make up for Capcom's "lost" 3.5 million copies [large net loss]

I just don't think it's smart business practise for Sony to try money hat this one. Whilst it would prove to be better for the Vita's long term health, after the PS3 disaster, Sony really isn't in the position to go after such an aggressive loss leading strategy.

Certainly can see the dialemma - Sony need to push Vitas, but then again - PSP still has life in it. For Capcom, a PSP version seems to make a whole lot more sense right now. Again, it'll be fun to watch :D
And how big of a deal would MHP3V or MHP3GV be anyway really?

MHP3V - not that big of a deal - if it has online then it'll help - 800k or below ;)
MHP3GV - as long as file copy over is in there, then DEFINITELY 800k! ;)

DCharlie

Same here. I love MH, but Dragon's Dogma seems like it's going to take MH's formula and step it up a notch.

... by removing multiplayer - the core tennant of what makes it popular in Japan ;)

(played DD at TGS and liked what i played but all the way through it i just kept thinking "i want a Monster Hunter that looks like this")

Luigiv

As far as i'm concerned nothing suggests -anything- right now :) I certainly don't put any stock in this play.com farce :p

We have a few semi-reputable sources to suggest this. The TGS rumour list plus the SCEA (or was it SCEE?) upcoming release poster at their pre-launch event.

That would depend on what 3rd G ends up -being- and what it implies that 3G -was-. Now - i'm treading on glass here - so i'm going to make sure that this is to highlight that we _simply_ don't know. To further clarify, my guess would be that Capcom and Nintendo have a huge -NINTENDO- multiplatform strategy for MH right now and i don't expect any MH of note to be revealed for Vita any time soon. I agree with what you are saying and suspect we may well get MH3rdG PSP - but unless something drastic has happened, Vita may well not get announced unless Sony port it themselves (?)

ANYWAYS, that said - At the moment the (and my!) assumption is that the 3DS is the premium version. But what if that is not the case? Around the time of Capcom going to Nintendo 3rdP was just out - they could probably see the 3DS as a good fit for a port up of the Wii version, outsourced to 8ing. IF MH for Vita turns out to be a significantly upgrade version of MH then we're in an all new territory. However, after seeing MH4 presentation.... i doubt a scenario where investment to upgrade for any theoretical Vita version would be made! Alas for Sony, right now the only cast iron Vita machine mover at the current price tag for Japan would be a *premium* monster hunter game that's Vita exclusive (i.e. online from the Vita, graphical upgrade, megaton of new content).

Indeed it is! The 800k prediction isn't as controversial as people think, it was wrong but the bulk of the userbase is STILL up for grabs. 1.4m out of a 5m pie means MH can have a lot of sway (though for Sony that window will slam shut come MH4 3DS).

Certainly can see the dialemma - Sony need to push Vitas, but then again - PSP still has life in it. For Capcom, a PSP version seems to make a whole lot more sense right now. Again, it'll be fun to watch :D

Yep, pretty much. Don't really have anything to add to this.

MHP3V - not that big of a deal - if it has online then it'll help - 800k or below ;)
MHP3GV - as long as file copy over is in there, then DEFINITELY 800k! ;)

:lol

800k jokes aside, personally I think we'd be looking closer at

MHP3V - 400k-ish tops, about on par with HD version.

Most players would just stick to the PSP version, especially those who already have the digital version. A lot of those interested in the resolution upgrade would have already gotten HD so they'd be hard pressed to triple dip. Ultimately though it would get a fair few UMD only owners to jump the fence and get a Vita compatible version along side.

MHP3GV - If exclusive 1m+ easy. If multiplat, I'm not really sure. Maybe 500k+.

So, assume those box arts are fake (I am not saying they are or are not, I have no idea. It does sound too good to be true.). Where do they come from? A play.com employee who wants to troll the internet?

Has a similar thing (like a FFVII remake psp boxart appearing somewhere) ever happened and turned out to be bull, and if so, was there any explanation?

fernoca

So, assume those box arts are fake (I am not saying they are or are not, I have no idea. It does sound too good to be true.). Where do they come from? A play.com employee who wants to troll the internet?

As similar thing (like a FFVII remake psp boxart appearing somewhere) ever happened and turned out to be bull, and if so, was there any explanation?

The fake ones are just that, fake ones created by someone to start/hype things around and posted around a few sites. True or not, at the moment are just fakes.

The ones in the official play.com site, are just that...placeholders, based on what they know or expect is coming at some point.
They still have areas like this (albeit no longer available for preorder); even when the 3DS game was officially cancelled quite some time ago. While having separate sections for Assassins' Creed Wii U and Assassin's Creed III for the Wii U; when it's the same game.

RPPu1.png

The fake ones are just that, fake ones created by someone to start/hype things around and posted around a few sites. True or not, at the moment are just fakes.

The ones in the official play.com site, are just that...placeholders, based on what they know or expect is coming at some point.
They still have areas like this (albeit no longer available for preorder); even when the 3DS game was officially cancelled quite some time ago. While having separate sections for Assassins' Creed Wii U and Assassin's Creed III for the Wii U; when it's the same game.

RPPu1.png

Ok, but those AC things are mistake/misunderstanding, not outright fakery. I guess my questions is - what does play.com have to gain from essentially making bs announcements, assuming they are completely and absolutely fake? Gaining a preorder for a game that does not exist? :)

edit: i am of course not talking about the box art being fake.

fernoca

Ok, but those AC things are mistake/misunderstanding, not outright fakery. I guess my questions is - what does play.com have to gain from essentially making bs announcements, assuming they are completely and absolutely fake? Gaining a preorder for a game that does not exist? :)

edit: i am of course not talking about the box art being fake.

Well, the fake ones were not made by them (i.e. Vice City, etc.).

Monster Hunter for the Vita at the moment is unknown for how long it has been listed on the site and/or if they had it listed earlier but just recently put it for preorder. Those are just placeholders and since they offer a price guarantee and they don't charge anything until the game is going to ship they technically don't lose anything; but gain more customers if the final price is higher.

fernoca

Ah? Where did they come from?
The earliest post around Google, shows the image been posted by someone on 4chan; then other sites linking or citing 4chan as the sourse. But on the play.com site there was never any trace of the games. There were no links, nothing. And under the assumption that "they made a mistake and leaked the info"; then that brought the question as to why then MH3 wasn't removed along with the other leaks. Plus the mistakes in the pictures (stretched, wrong border).

Now, that doesn't confirm that it's 100% fake and that there won't ever be any GTA or any of those on the Vita; just that at the moment that image was just fake.

Plus with the conference in a few days, who knows if that 4chan image was a tease. :p

Hayeya

Banned
For Japan:
Simple MHP3 port = Epic fail, Vita is doomed, Sony 3rd party etccccc
MHP3G or X or w or z or T or whatever letter = Gazillion sales Vita is saved Sony is saved the electronics industry is saved, the earth is saved, the whales are saved......

For everyone else:
Simple port or updgraded port or whatever = Epic Win

Hayeya

Banned
Seriously, does anyone think that there won't be a MH for Vita?

Did anyone thought that Dragon quest will be nintendo exclusive ?
Did anyone thought that Final Fantasy will be multiplatform ?
Did anyone thought that resident evil will be gamecube exclusive ?

In this industry my man, thinking about a thing does not mean that it will happen even if everyone is 100 % sure about it, you cant be sure about something until you hear an official info about it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm not sure if these other ones are real...

Y6GI0.jpg
Keep your expectations low gaf.
I'm sure i have seen mhp3 and ff type 0 on play months ago, maybe mhp3 even before the vita release(infact boxarts don't reflect the shape of vita cases), they are nothing new so these placeholders are not related to gdc or gamer's heaven.
I'm not sure about gta, but i have to admit that "vice city nights" sounds legit, even if i doubt that rockstar will spend a lot of money to make an hd vice city for a portable game. In any case i really hope that the eventual gta will be a modern gta and not a retro one like chinatown wars.

stilgar

In this industry my man, thinking about a thing does not mean that it will happen even if everyone is 100 % sure about it, you cant be sure about something until you hear an official info about it.

MH is not Dragon Quest, and RE was so Gamecube exclusive it sold more on the PS2.

It's Capcom we're talking about, and MH as already a good record of ports and adaptation. There's no way Vita won't have its MH.

DCharlie

I think most people assume MHP3HD is a possibility, but beyond that ? I wouldn't bet on it.

it's one of those situations though -

if Capcom don't put out an MH game on Vita -ever- then people won't be surprised.

if Capcom do put out an MH game on Vita then people won't be surprised.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Erm sure...or did you miss how many consoles they sold since 05 in Japan ?

Luigiv

it's one of those situations though -

if Capcom don't put out an MH game on Vita -ever- then people won't be surprised.

if Capcom do put out an MH game on Vita then people won't be surprised.

Yeah Capcom's strategy for the series is really ambiguous at this point. Anything could happen.

Hayeya

Banned
yeah DQ always appears at the console with the largest userbase near the end of the console's life cycle

There is a secret deal between nintendo and SE but nobody is announcing it, i understand that the mainline games are goin to be released on best selling consoles but not a single spinoff was released on sony platforms after the Yangus game,, even mario and dragon quest characters had an ITADAKI STREET game,, there is a STealth contract,,, BELIEVE

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There is a secret deal between nintendo and SE but nobody is announcing it, i understand that the mainline games are goin to be released on best selling consoles but not a single spinoff was released on sony platforms after the Yangus game,, even mario and dragon quest characters had an ITADAKI STREET game,, there is a STealth contract,,, BELIEVE

Why would they need to put their games on sony plattforms when the DQ fanbase has already been established on plattforms with bigger userbase and nintendo support for their western releases ?

ShinNL

I bet the people clinging to the idea of a Vita MH and forcing their opinion on others are the same people who clinged to the idea of a PS3 version of Tri when it was initially released.

You have to understand why they would show a teaser of a product completely unfinished, at the same time as revealing MH3G for 3DS, the biggest game on the PSP now on a rival handheld. There's a reason why the MH4 teaser was shown. Don't ignore all the signs and state everything based on your preference and guts. The rational thing to see here is that MH went exclusive in some way.

I wouldn't care less if a MH went on Vita, I would probably even buy a Vita for it. But irrational logic is something I don't like to see.

edit: misread. Who clinged to the idea of a PS3 version of Tri? They announced they canned that when they unveiled the Wii game.
You'd be surprised to how many people still wait for one even after explicitly announcing there won't be one.

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=4XvxNCyUGJk&page=7

Just CTRL+F 'PS3'.

I mean it's fine to expect a MH Vita, no one would be surprised if there was, no one would be surprised if there isn't. But that's a personal opinion, then there are people who say things like:

Seriously, does anyone think that there won't be a MH for Vita?
It's Capcom we're talking about, and MH as already a good record of ports and adaptation. There's no way Vita won't have its MH.
Pure irrational biased logic.

Kyoufu

While Capcom is a bit unpredictable, I'd still be kinda surprised to see a MH game on Vita, besides maybe MHP3HD. I'm just really not a friend of the idea of splitting the userbase and/or having maybe even one (really) superior version. Then again it's Capcom.

I'm expecting MH on Vita within the next year or two.

It definitely won't be vastly superior to 3DS versions though. Capcom will milk those PS2/Wii assets for another decade.

I bet the people clinging to the idea of a Vita MH and forcing their opinion on others are the same people who clinged to the idea of a PS3 version of Tri when it was initially released.

edit: misread. Who clinged to the idea of a PS3 version of Tri? They announced they canned that when they unveiled the Wii game.

I think most people assume MHP3HD is a possibility, but beyond that ? I wouldn't bet on it. People really need to stop tying all their hopes to one title/series.

Edit:
Although the idea of a MH for Vita that makes use of all the handheld has to offer is quite intriguing.

I can't stand MH series so I don't care about it, but regarding the support this saga had in PSP, I'd assume there will be a game for Vita.

Cant' say wehther it will be a port or a new title.

To be fair, even though those placeholder boxes were pretty piss-poor as far as how they were made, the actual items being on the Play website are because somewhere down their supply-chain those titles are listed as tbr/tbd/tba etc. So it technically is a leak, whether the leak proves to be accurate is another question altogether.

MHP3 is the only listing that's actually on the site. I think that one's dubious (primarily due to the use of the MHP name rather than MHF), but at least there's some there there.

Also, LOL at European journalists thinking that a GTA game would be announced on a Japanese webcast.

You'd be surprised to how many people still wait for one even after explicitly announcing there won't be one.

I don't care either way, but are you talking about "explicitly announcing" as showing MH4 on 3DS, because that's not explicit at all. Did they up-front say: "There won't be a MH game for Vita"?

Maedhros

I don't care either way, but are you talking about "explicitly announcing" as showing MH4 on 3DS, because that's not explicit at all. Did they up-front say: "There won't be a MH game for Vita"?

Also there's 0 evidence to show that MH is Nintendo exclusive too. But a lot of people seems that's the case.

mclem

To be fair, even though those placeholder boxes were pretty piss-poor as far as how they were made, the actual items being on the Play website are because somewhere down their supply-chain those titles are listed as tbr/tbd/tba etc. So it technically is a leak, whether the leak proves to be accurate is another question altogether.

...except Vice City Nights *isn't* on the Play website. It's just a mockup someone made.

I was giving Ben Parfitt the benefit of the doubt a while back when I was trying to figure out why his number for Vita sales didn't mesh up with the chart-track numbers, and now I'm wondering if he's just trying to find positive news deliberately without doing proper research.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Also there's 0 evidence to show that MH is Nintendo exclusive too. But a lot of people seems that's the case.

There's evidence to believe it will be a timed exclusice evidence hence why when they announced MH4 they said there was no plans currently for a MH Vita.

Top Bottom