• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories demo coming August 10th in NA

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Per Nintendo of America

20170731_102308nrbxn.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thought it was the PS4 version that was coming. Got so damn excited.

B00TE

Had a lot of fun with JP demo when I tried it awhile back, gave a much better impression than I thought it would. Looking forward to this.

Mupod

Oh good. The reaction to MH Stories seems to have been pretty...nonexistent? So I'd like to try it for myself. Rock paper scissors battle systems in RPGs get on my nerves, see Fate Extra for example. So even though I'm definitely in on the premise and look of the game I hesitated on the preorder.

Also funny that MH is so consistent with early demos for even spinoff games. Here's hoping MHWorld gets one too.

atr0cious

If this can come over before World, there's no reason to hold up XX.
This is the hold up. For better or worse, the main audience is on 3ds, and the last thing Capcom is going to do is push a superior product on another system with a smaller install base and most likely large development cost when the inferior cheap one has yet to even drop.

Robin64

Worth noting that save data will carry over into the full game if you decide to get it.

Looks like we're not getting the amiibos, mind.

The official website says:
Tap compatible amiibo™ accessories for bonus items such as Ancient Potions, Dust of Life, and other high-grade materials helpful to your quest.

The MHS ones did a lot more than that, these are just "other" amiibo, like the Smash line.

Robin64

Is this supposed to be a proper RPG with MH combat?

It's a turn-based "classic" JRPG.

Monster Hunter Stories features a completely new gameplay different to the past titles in the series. The player assumes the role of a Rider who befriends monsters by stealing eggs and hatching them, you then have the ability to name them, ride them in the field, and have them join you in battle. The player will be able to explore different environments, encounter monsters in the field, battle them, collect items and steal eggs from monsters’ nests.

The battles now have an RPG turn-based combat system and during the player’s turn, both the rider and your companion monster will get to attack the enemy. Attacks for both the player and the enemy come in three categories: Power, Speed, and Technique. Each category is stronger against one in particular, similar to Rock-paper-scissors, Power will win against Technique, Speed will win against Power, and Technique will win against Speed. In this game, the player only has a choice of four weapons to use in battle, those being the Great Sword, the Sword & Shield, the Hammer, and the Hunting Horn. The player will have access to different skills depending on the weapon and equipment he uses, and he will also be able to use items in battle.

Companion monsters can be customized with the Transmission Ceremony feature, in which you transfer Bond Genes into a monster’s slots in order to unlock and awaken their stats and abilities. This allows for further customization and adjustment to the player’s play style. The game features multiplayer battles via local or Internet connection.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'll download the demo but I alredy know I'll buy the game.
Hoping for MH amiibo compatibility, considering how I already own all of them :D

Glass Rebel

Good, I hope a Yurop release ain't too far off. I've been interested in playing this but if the gameplay isn't up to snuff (i.e. babby's first RPG) I'll just wait for World for my MH fix.

7Th

How come almost every other Capcom game these days has such garbage art direction when the Monster Hunter series in general looks so good?

mas8705

definitely will be nice to finally try the game out next week, and good to know that Stories is coming in September.

Ridley327

How come almost every other Capcom game these days has such garbage art direction when the Monster Hunter series in general looks so good?

They got it right from day 1 and have been adding to it, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Slermy

I'll download the demo but I alredy know I'll buy the game.
Hoping for MH amiibo compatibility, considering how I already own all of them :D

Me too, I'm excited for this. I imported two of the amiibo because they just look so good.

i-Jest

Worth noting that save data will carry over into the full game if you decide to get it.

Looks like we're not getting the amiibos, mind.

The official website says:

The MHS ones did a lot more than that, these are just "other" amiibo, like the Smash line.

Good to know, I'll be hopi.g on that demo. I just hope it's not one of those demos with a finite number of tries. I dislike seeing that.

Since amiibo are region free I wonder what would happen if you imported them and tried to use them.

I've been planning to import them I only hope the online play and and companion Amiibo functionality stay intact for the Western version.

Was wondering that myself. I know people who already nabbed them to use in Animal Crossing, because it got you this:

Gonna have to hop on the set pretty soon then. I can imagine scalpers rolling through stock like a Plague of locusts. Thanks for this,

Ridley327

Anyone else playing this? I'm not sure how much more to the demo I've got (just fended off the
Nargacuga in the cave
), but these are my impressions thus far:

-Easily one of the best looking 3DS games out there, with a very vibrant art style and some strong animation work, the latter of which should come as no surprise for fans of the series. The 3D effect is also pretty nice, and from what I can tell, doesn't come with a significant penalty to the framerate. It is a bit smoother in 2D, so those that want something smoother have that option.
-Surprisingly robust production values, from solid CG cutscenes to a surprising amount of voice acting (albeit in a more elaborate use of the good ol' Monster Hunter gibberish, rather than any real language), as well as doing a good job of transplanting the monsters to a more cartoony art style while keeping them familiar. It is kinda funny that they're clearly using the Japanese names of monsters in this, as Rioleus is Rathalos' Japanese name, but gibberish is gibberish.
-The story and characters thus far seems like pretty typical shonen, but having the lore of the MH IP behind it might spice things up in the long run. Nothing offensive, but nothing transcendent either.
-Combat is fine, if simple. It's a rock-paper-scissors system that rewards you for picking a strength and punishes for picking a weakness, though the whole rider aspect does open up a bit more depth with a kind of chain system that can lead to a super move that features a signature maneuver for that monster. Not a lot to elaborate upon here, but again, things could possibly open up more later.
-This thing devours your 3DS battery. Capcom is definitely tapping into every ounce of the hardware here, but make sure that you've got a charger nearby.
-Good news: progress will carry over to the final game, as well as unlocking a special bonus for those who import their saves.

Thus far, I'm pretty positive on it. It's definitely not looking to be the deepest RPG out there, but it's a pleasant experience that does justice to its source material and seems like a solid title at the end of the day. This is definitely on my radar now as a purchase, though having Metroid: Samus Returns out a week later is pretty brutal.

Sarcasm

Anyone else playing this? I'm not sure how much more to the demo I've got (just fended off the
Nargacuga in the cave
), but these are my impressions thus far:

-Easily one of the best looking 3DS games out there, with a very vibrant art style and some strong animation work, the latter of which should come as no surprise for fans of the series. The 3D effect is also pretty nice, and from what I can tell, doesn't come with a significant penalty to the framerate. It is a bit smoother in 2D, so those that want something smoother have that option.
-Surprisingly robust production values, from solid CG cutscenes to a surprising amount of voice acting (albeit in a more elaborate use of the good ol' Monster Hunter gibberish, rather than any real language), as well as doing a good job of transplanting the monsters to a more cartoony art style while keeping them familiar. It is kinda funny that they're clearly using the Japanese names of monsters in this, as Rioleus is Rathalos' Japanese name, but gibberish is gibberish.
-The story and characters thus far seems like pretty typical shonen, but having the lore of the MH IP behind it might spice things up in the long run. Nothing offensive, but nothing transcendent either.
-Combat is fine, if simple. It's a rock-paper-scissors system that rewards you for picking a strength and punishes for picking a weakness, though the whole rider aspect does open up a bit more depth with a kind of chain system that can lead to a super move that features a signature maneuver for that monster. Not a lot to elaborate upon here, but again, things could possibly open up more later.
-This thing devours your 3DS battery. Capcom is definitely tapping into every ounce of the hardware here, but make sure that you've got a charger nearby.
-Good news: progress will carry over to the final game, as well as unlocking a special bonus for those who import their saves.

Thus far, I'm pretty positive on it. It's definitely not looking to be the deepest RPG out there, but it's a pleasant experience that does justice to its source material and seems like a solid title at the end of the day. This is definitely on my radar now as a purchase, though having Metroid: Samus Returns out a week later is pretty brutal.

Thank you for this post. I thought that I had to wait..going to download this now lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm loving the demo
Everything about the game is top quality
Should have been a multi million seller

Loved it at first then turned it off and deleted it after the first fight.
What the hell was that?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess I'll post it here, but just started the demo & this is gonna sound a bit nit-picky, but was anyone else annoyed by the fact there's a sound to indicate when you can press A to advance the text in either a cutscene or when talking to a character?

It just gets annoying having to hear it over & over and it kind of takes me out because instead of letting a conversation just happen, it has to give me an audio cue of "OKAY, THIS PERSON STOPPED TALKING, YOU CAN LET THE NEXT PERSON TALK" when the arrow is enough to tell me I can press A.

Imagine if they did this with Ace Attorney, giving you a sound every single time a character finished their sentence instead of just giving you the down arrow like every other game.

moozoom

Been playing for a few hours - yes the demo is long - and loving it. Don't really understand why it flopped or why there seems to be no interest for this title as it has great production values.

If you except the weird pop up of Npc's in the village, the game is really beautiful and in 2d mode the antialiasing make the cel shaded visuals really shine.

Personally i like the combat, it's quick and you soon learn the different strategies depending on the monsters - and exploring caves for eggs and completing quests has been fun so far.

Day one purchase for me, hoping the amiibo will have some functionality as I have 3 of them - if not well they are still nice on a shelf.

Top Bottom