• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World Discussion and Speculation Thread

BlizzKrut

Banned
Monster_hunter_world_logo.png

General Info

Developer: Capcom

Publisher: Capcom

Director(s): Kaname Fujioka and Yuya Tokuda

Producer: Ryozo Tsujimoto

Release Date: Early 2018

Platforms: PS4 and Xbox One (Early 2018 | PC (later date)

Description (from Wikipedia): Monster Hunter: World is an upcoming action role-playing video game in development and to be published by Capcom, and is the fifth primary title in their Monster Hunter franchise.
It will feature much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op; it will allow players from Japan and from Western regions to play together, a first for the game in the series.

MONSTERS

Total of Current Known Monsters: 22
Returning Monsters: 8 (5 small, 3 large)
New Monsters: 14 (4 small, 10 large)

NEW MONSTERS
*only Large Monsters below

2YxGcSh.jpg
Ey7LZOQ.jpg
403f7Jv.jpg

KRoZt3a.jpg
doMAEQD.png
BGG4Lu7.jpg

kGRa7pL.jpg
Ut82A4s.jpg
XmSYDuk.jpg

NwkLfXd.jpg
36dWE96.jpg

RETURNING MONSTERS
*only Large Monsters below

zOzQVt9.jpg
fw96nCX.jpg
pWGalcU.jpg

MAPS

DHOBI8K.jpg
OJ1ltQQ.jpg
Z0dlHjF.jpg

WEAPONS

*click the image to be redirected to the weapon's overview video

MELEE WEAPONS

RANGED WEAPONS

TRAILERS

Monster Hunter: World Announcement Trailer -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6r15wzp2o

Monster Hunter: World Ancient Forest Gameplay -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfK-YqLUbU

Monster Hunter: World - Wildspire Waste Trailer -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqY6yXn2S4

Monster Hunter: World - TGS 2017 Trailer -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtT5GIViSXo

Really cannot be wait to see more info on the game.
Normally I want to keep new encounters a secret until I get the game but this time I'm just hungry for every bit of news!!

And the best part is that the dev team have been steadily promoting the game each month at many events all over the west and Asia!

I hope we get to see more of that new end game mountain elder!

CrazyHal

I speculate that this one will be less grindy. No more 2% drop chance on plates and stuff. Desire censor go fuck yourself.

Kinsei

Banned
Wait, ian hasn't been confirmed yet??
I'd swear they showed her in one of the first trailers.

Nope. They have shown her armor though and she is the only monster other than Rathalos to have appeared in every MH game. It's safe to assume that she's in.

I speculate that this one will be less grindy. No more 2% drop chance on plates and stuff. Desire censor go fuck yourself.
That'd be great, but I doubt it lol.
So fucking hyped for this game. I want to see more about the damage of the insect glaive...it looks fucking bonkers this time, but I'm not sure that its damage output will be sufficient to justify its use.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Looks like Chameleos fucked a Kut Ku.

Have they ever re-designed a monster from scratch?

Not really, sometimes monsters are related or look similar, like Lavasioth and the new mud fish, but they're still separate.

Though this new monster and Chameleos are different, the big difference being that Chameleos is an Elder Dragon and the new monster is probably a Bird Wyvern (wings/two legs).

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I wonder how large a roster of monsters will be in this game. Like will it have elder dragons? Gravy? Tigrex? Diyamo hermatur?

BlizzKrut

Banned
I wonder how large a roster of monsters will be in this game. Like will it have elder dragons? Gravy? Tigrex? Diyamo hermatur?

Don't expect Gen/4U numbers, if you want to temper your expecations, expect something along the lines of Tri or a bit higher, also, more new monsters than old ones.

DrArchon

I wish Great Jagras was more than just "jobber R.Ludroth". I thought Greact Maccao was actually pretty interesting for a starting monster, but Jaggras looks like Ludroth except smaller.

I'd like to think they'll bring back Tigrex and Zinogre at least, but I really hope Nargacuga comes back as well. I'm less hopeful there just because it missed out on 4, but I love the Narga weapons and armor.

Eolz

That's better than a new impressions thread every week :p
Will subscribe to this one at least.

Jaruru

another thread for MHW?

they keep announcing new info, which is great. while I can play MHXX on Switch now :)

BlizzKrut

Banned
another thread for MHW?

they keep announcing new info, which is great. while I can play MHXX on Switch now :)

I made this one hoping for it to serve as a little hub of info and discussion between events and before the launch/OT, like the FG ones (so basically new threads for news and big events, like the PAX and Gamescom one, and this one staying if you just want to say something or speculate), hope everyone is fine with that.

I'd love to see Deviljho and Gore Magala return. My two favorite designs in the series.

I'd also like to see the following mechanical changes:

1. No drop chances below 20%.
2. Fewer materials required for crafting (no more than 2 of any material).
3. Farms send items directly to your item box after every mission, no need to micromanage after buying the upgrades.
4. Armor abilities can be changed, so you can get essential skills like Sharpness and Evade on any armor.
5. Gathering tools, whetstones and other farming/upkeep items are infinite.

Basically, they need to tone down the amount of busywork that comes with preparing to fight a monster and also reduce the number of times you need to repeat that fight before gaining any benefits.

If the player isn't able to increase their stats in some way after every challenging fight, people are going to lose interest quickly.

Delio

I'd love to see Deviljho and Gore Magala return. My two favorite designs in the series.

3. Farms send items directly to your item box after every mission, no need to micromanage after buying the upgrades.
4. Armor abilities can be changed, so you can get essential skills like Sharpness and Evade on any armor.

Basically, they need to tone down the amount of busywork that comes with preparing to fight a monster and also reduce the number of times you need to repeat that fight before gaining any benefits.

If the player isn't able to increase their stats in some way after every challenging fight, people are going to lose interest quickly.

I feel like none of those things are going to happen. Maybe the farm sending right to your item box. But if im proven wrong then thats cool as well.

wiibomb

should someone be posting the info discussed from the gamescom thread? the famitsu cover/info and that MHW will get lot so new info on TGS

Syril

The show demo actually had infinite gathering and whetstones I think.

The show demo actually had infinite gathering and whetstones I think.

It did, but there was also a whet-fish that was described as restoring more sharpness than a whetstone, but having "fewer uses." I think the demo had a lot of temporary QoL stuff.

Pila

I still don't know where to buy this game. I don't really play online with my PS4 so paying PS+ just for one game seems rough but, you know, waiting more time sucks. ^^

I do need myself release dates, when do you guys think we'll get them?

Cryoflar3

I still don't know where to buy this game. I don't really play online with my PS4 so paying PS+ just for one game seems rough but, you know, waiting more time sucks. ^^

I'm thinking December we'll know when it'll release. And I think it will release in march.

Defuser

All MH games can be soloed.

We probably get the release dates at TGS imo, high chance the game will launch in early march.

You can solo all quests, and hopefully since the offline/online (or village/guild) distinction has been removed there will be proper scaling for solo and co-op this time. Soloing an online monster designed to be fought by 4 hunters was always a little rough.

TreIII

Really want Seregios to make an appearance. Him, Devilijoe, and Gore Magala <3

Ditto. There's a number of G4 monsters that I would love to see return. Besides your named three (and what I hope would be Shaggie, too), there's also Seltas Queen, Nerscylla, Najarala

Pila

Thanks everyone for your replies. :)

I know I can play the game by myself, I had shitty internet when I discovered the series (MH3U) and I did a lot of G rank on my own. Good thing I managed to play some online, community was great.

Kyoufu

I'm so glad you're not a developer.

Lren

While I have MHXX on the switch to keep me occupied, cannot bloody wait for MHW to release. Being able to move and shoot with a LBG fills me with more hype than it really has any right to. Armor being shared now also feels particularly huge as it means swapping from ranged to melee won't sting nearly as bad. The mantles also look really interesting and watching how they might change how your approach will be neat!

RIP prowler tho ;A;

I'm so glad you're not a developer.

Why?

How does having 2-5% drop rates make the game better?

What happens to the "amazing feeling of accomplishment" you get from beating a monster when you arrive at the crafting screen and realize you need to go beat them at least two more times to get the materials you need?

Why is it essential to make the player perform a busywork routine between every mission?

I get defending the core mechanics... but what's the point of defending the padding? Are people upset that gathering is instant now? That weapon trees are no longer guesswork?

Top Bottom