• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World Discussion and Speculation Thread

I dunno what to feel about the lockon. Aiming was a mess on 3ds but wouldn't the controllers fix that? I just dont like the idea of being locked to specific part of a giant monster at cruical times since itd affect my dodges

wwm0nkey

I dunno what to feel about the lockon. Aiming was a mess on 3ds but wouldn't the controllers fix that? I just dont like the idea of being locked to specific part of a giant monster at cruical times since itd affect my dodges

Just don't do it then, I personally wont use lock on this time around either

Nosgoth

Neo Member

You have 3 options, lock-on as it is shown, lock-on as in 4 and forth, and no lock on whatsoever. Just choose 1 that suits your playstyle.

There's something else shown in that video, during the later anjanath hunt, you can lock-on to different parts of the monster. And you can post emojis to the usual chat window now, I'm sure capcom will have a few bundles of those ready to sell, or as pre-order bonus or something.

Comandr

The difference, compared to other loot games like Destiny, Diablo and Borderlands, is that getting the drops you need is the only method of advancement. There's no experience points or perk trees that consistently reward players for investing their time, nor are there levels or additional enemies that offer their own separate rewards. You spent 10-20 minutes killing a single monster and either got the material you need to craft a better piece of gear, or you didn't and need to repeat that fight until you do.

People won't miss out on the "core MH experience" because they "blew through the game," they'll miss out because they quit after having to re-fight the same challenging boss for the third time with the same gear they had during their first attempt just because the RNG keeps screwing them out of a proper upgrade.

I feel like the old adage “practice makes perfect” fits really well here. The reward might not be character experience or levels, it’s player experience. Each time the player fights a monster, they (hopefully) learn the tells and signs and weaknesses a little bit better. The fight becomes a little less sloppy. I’ve seen it so many times that I know instinctively when Rathian takes two steps back she’s about to do her little poison flip and I’d better gtfo.

Without constant repeated exposure to stuff like that, I’d still fall for it. Okay sure, that monster was really hard and I feel accomplished beating him. And now I have to fight it again? But I did waaaay better the second time and even better the third. I can measure my own skill and progress as a player like that. That in and of itself feels good.

Am I excited for a low drop rate? No that’s silly. What I am excited to do is fight monsters over and over because that part of the gameplay, the monster fighting part is what I’m here for. I can’t tell you how many Nargacugas I’ve fought. But I can’t wait to fight dozens more. Really hope he’s in.

I get peoples issues with the material drops being tiny but without it the games lasting appeal plummets. What they should do with the 3% drop rates is after a certain amount of the hunts the chance of getting said rate material begins to rise percentage wise. So it would start at 3% then after a bit of hunts raise to 6% then 15% etc. that way you aren't spending literal hours just trying to get such a rare material but still playing enough to actually become really good at fighting that specific monster.

I get peoples issues with the material drops being tiny but without it the games lasting appeal plummets. What they should do with the 3% drop rates is after a certain amount of the hunts the chance of getting said rate material begins to rise percentage wise. So it would start at 3% then after a bit of hunts raise to 6% then 15% etc. that way you aren't spending literal hours just trying to get such a rare material but still playing enough to actually become really good at fighting that specific monster.
I've never spent literal hours on a drop before. I'm not particularly lucky, but stuff like the deep dragon gem from ceadeus in 3U that has a 2-3 percent nominal drop rate are in actuality more like 15 percent when you factor in that you get 6 body carves, each with a 2 percent chance and a 3 percent chance of it being a mission reward if you break his beard.

Ridley327

Hell, I was playing MH4U real casually last night on some guild quests and I got Tigrex mantles without even trying for them, along with gems and maws.

Honestly, it's uncommon materials like Diablos Tailcases that trip me up more than the rare stuff.

Raide

I am sure they will tweak the lower level drops to appear a bit more frequently but the G Rank stuff should be a load of work to get.

Ridley327

If anything they made it way to easy to get drops in later games.

MH1 had the perfect drop rate.

MH1 could get away with it because the roster was so small. Try doing that in a game with a roster four times the size and let's see what player retention looks like then.

Pila

Sooo, are we talking about drops being more easy because they actually said/showed anything about it or it's just speculation?

Ridley327

Sooo, are we talking about drops being more easy because they actually said/showed anything about it or it's just speculation?

Just speculation. The fact that they've now made a special animation for a rare carve suggests to me that they're not messing around with the drop rates much, if at all.

Pila

Just speculation. The fact that they've now made a special animation for a rare carve suggests to me that they're not messing around with the drop rates much, if at all.

Got it, thanks. Sorry for asking obvious stuff, I'm not on the internet that much these days. :)

I don't like a lot of the changes but I love the rare carve animation xD MH needs its goofy moments.

This is not G rank so I don't need to see a bunch of 2% drops to feel like I'm playing the real deal, they can go loco with the end game stuff.

Haunted

I think it only locks on to the core of a monster and it doesn't actually affect your movement or attacks like Z-targeting in Zelda would (so no strafing and flipping around relative to the monster or automatically swinging towards it and stuff).

From what I've seen, it's really just a tool to help you not lose track of the monster in certain situations.

And as others have said, it's completely optional. No need to use it except if you want to.

Jeiiya

I'm so addicted to Bushido/Adept style that it's going to be a nice change going back to vanilla when this finally releases. Switch Axe will be my main weapon again yay!

And I'm not going to lie. I am very excited to see a lock-on system that stays on the monster. I hope it doesn't freak out when you get stuck in a corner with the monster though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I won't be upset if they are included in the game as I got nothing against those Monsters but I hope that Brachydios and Gore Magala don't get an auto free pass for their inclusion into Monster Hunter World because of their unique Mechanic/Element.

Nullbeery was spotted in the demo so I would like a new Monster to make use of that Frenzy Virus encounter besides Gore Magala.

Brachydios has been getting a free ride ever since his inception in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to justify the Slime/Blast Element in the games but in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate we saw other Blast type Monsters so I want a new Monster to represent the Blast Element.

Of course the likely hood of this happening is relatively low because Capcom is the King of Asset flipping or updating their own Models/Sprites because it's so much easier/cheaper to do so.

Ridley327

Nulberry being present just means that Element Blights are still in, and I'm pretty sure we've seen them in action. That has no bearing on Gore Magala one way or the other.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Nulberry being present just means that Element Blights are still in, and I'm pretty sure we've seen them in action. That has no bearing on Gore Magala one way or the other.
I completely forgot Nullbeery had other uses besides removing Frenzy but still my point stands I don't want to see Gore Magala getting an auto free pass to jump on the rooster...at least not him or Shagaru Magala give us a new varient at the very least if they must asset flip him from Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Hybris

That's true, but the tooltip on the nulberry referenced virus so we know that one of those two or a new monster is in for sure. I'd wager gore is back.

Also someone on reddit spotted sushifish tooltip says it removes bleeding, so either seregios, ceanataur, or a new bleed monster is coming.

Ridley327

That's true, but the tooltip on the nulberry referenced virus so we know that one of those two or a new monster is in for sure. I'd wager gore is back.

Also someone on reddit spotted sushifish tooltip says it removes bleeding, so either seregios, ceanataur, or a new bleed monster is coming.

That's fair. Gore is a rather popular monster (hard not to be with how great its design is), and Frenzy was a neat little risk/reward mechanic that normal Blights don't begin to compare to. I just don't know if you could really "give" that to another monster, given the backstory of Frenzy is so heavily tied to Gore Magala existing.

Kinsei

Banned
Are there any monsters from Frontier or Online you lot would like to see make an appearance in World? I would like to see one of the scorpions. I also wouldn't mind seeing Odibatorasu (Sand turtle Akantor).

Ridley327

Wait, Gore is likely in?

Yass.

With the exception of Lagiacrus and the Generations gang, I wouldn't be surprised if every other previous flagship monster is returning. And even then, I can still see them throwing in Lagi just because everyone loves his design so much, despite him being a dead fuck on land.

Ridley327

I really like the new monsters in generations but I'd be amazed if they included them.

Oh I never made it to those except congalala.. I don't think I noticed it on congalala

It doesn't happen often, but he can eat Nitroshrooms which gives his fart attack Blastblight. I think it's more common on G-rank, but I'm pretty sure he's capable of it on lower ranks.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't mind if they added in a few more mini games or side activities. A well done card game like Gwent that you could play against other players when you're hanging out in town or at the campsite on one of the maps could be a cool way to kill time. Could even work it into things like trading in specific monster parts or doing quests to get better cards or that sort of thing. Wouldn't really affect the actual monster hunting gameplay in any real way and adds a little extra for when you aren't running around hunting.

Foffy

Banned
Are there any monsters from Frontier or Online you lot would like to see make an appearance in World? I would like to see one of the scorpions. I also wouldn't mind seeing Odibatorasu (Sand turtle Akantor).

Hypnocatrice. Think a Yian Kut-Ku but instead of fire, it puts you to sleep.

It can also be put to sleep, which is hilarious. Its own weapon in MHO can do this!

Estoc

I think it only locks on to the core of a monster and it doesn't actually affect your movement or attacks like Z-targeting in Zelda would (so no strafing and flipping around relative to the monster or automatically swinging towards it and stuff).

From what I've seen, it's really just a tool to help you not lose track of the monster in certain situations.

And as others have said, it's completely optional. No need to use it except if you want to.

I hope they give us the snap lock on like in the 3DS games.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
FrigidInbornAmericanredsquirrel.gif

MatureRepentantHyrax.gif

From the trailer thread. Thanks raven777

Kinsei

Banned
I'll be updating the OP later with the new info shown today.

Speculate on what might be left to show! (we're a bit more than halfway on the monsters numbers).

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the only returning monster they've yet to show is Rathian.

Top Bottom