• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World - Gamescom Impressions

Raide

Do we have any number or hint at the number of monsters, armors etc we can expect ?

The game seems so fucking awesome, it'd be a bit of a bummer to be light on content especially for a MH.

Thinking about 20-30 but I a hoping they will add monsters via content drops progressively. I don't think MH World needs a G version in 12 months. Suits DLC better.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Everything about MHW looks amazing. So glad they got rid of many of the annoying aspects of past MH games. Can't wait to play it on PC. Hopefully they'll support 21:9 resolutions.

Ridley327

I maintain that the roster will wind up at ~40 large monsters for the initial release. More than Tri, but they're not having to kill themselves to make a G-rank-sized game to go along with all the hard work they've put into updating everything from an asset standpoint.

Kyoufu

We've seen 9 large monsters and 2 areas so far. If there are 5 areas then that means there should be more content than what Tri had.

Ridley327

We've seen 9 large monsters and 2 areas so far. If there are 5 areas then that means there should be more content than what Tri had.

Yeah, that's been the basis of my math thus far. Since we've also been seeing them split reveals between old and new monsters thus, I'm expecting a pretty close ratio for old monsters to gen 5 monsters, with a slight bias to the latter (like, for the sake of argument, 19-21 in favor of new when assuming a final count of 40).

BlizzKrut

Banned

The count of large monsters won't even come close to MH4's, as I said, I can bet anything you want, I'd love to eat my words, but it won't happen.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Yeah, that's been the basis of my math thus far. Since we've also been seeing them split reveals between old and new monsters thus, I'm expecting a pretty close ratio for old monsters to gen 5 monsters, with a slight bias to the latter (like, for the sake of argument, 19-21 in favor of new when assuming a final count of 40).

And this one is even further, expect this to be like Tri, there's gonna be much fewer old monsters compared to newer monsters.

The count of large monsters won't even come close to MH4's, as I said, I can bet anything you want, I'd love to eat my words, but it won't happen.

My guess is sub-30 with additional monsters coming as DLC/expansions later.

The odds of Capcom releasing MHW: Ultimate in 2019 are pretty high.

Kinsei

Banned
This isn't multiplayer focused is it? I don't do online gaming really much prefer single player

You can do both. Some people play it exclusively as a multiplayer game while others (such as myself) play it as a purely single player game.

My favorite video so far actually is from IGN, the Barroth video. Was it actually them playing or capcom dudes presenting?

It was someone from Capcom.

Ridley327

And this one is even further, expect this to be like Tri, there's gonna be much fewer old monsters compared to newer monsters.

The count right now in terms of official reveals is 6-3 in favor of new, but we already know that Rathian is making it in from the armor, so that puts us at 6-4. Unlike Tri, I don't think that they're going to be going that hardcore in showing off entirely brand new species, especially since we've yet to see one among the new crowd, so I don't think it's as much a priority now as it was then. I also think they know that they can get a lot of hype from the fanbase by simply showing off an existing monster at this level of fidelity.

BlizzKrut

Banned
The count right now in terms of official reveals is 6-3 in favor of new, but we already know that Rathian is making it in from the armor, so that puts us at 6-4. Unlike Tri, I don't think that they're going to be going that hardcore in showing off entirely brand new species, especially since we've yet to see one among the new crowd, so I don't think it's as much a priority now as it was then. I also think they know that they can get a lot of hype from the fanbase by simply showing off an existing monster at this level of fidelity.

Trust me, it's gonna be like Tri, there's going to be a lot more new than old, don't just look at what you can see now.

Ridley327

Trust me, it's gonna be like Tri, there's going to be a lot more new than old, don't just look at what you can see now.

Well, we're officially already at the same count for returning monsters as Tri had in its entirety, so the ratio really won't be anywhere near as lopsided as you're suggesting.

Zeta Oni

Only question I really have left, like most, is DLC plans.

Personally hope to see them center the DLC around an additional area that brings different monsters, weapons, armors, etc.

So say the base game launches with 5 areas (2 of which we have seen, not including arena types), they could support it with limited time/special quests immediately post-launch, then drop a themed DLC like described above every 2-3 months.

Really curious to see how long it's supported post-launch as well.

I mean, I don't disagree with what you think is going to be the situation, there's a reason it's taken this long for them to completely overhaul the game. However, you should really be less up in peoples grills over this considering you're basing everything you say from the insider lodged in your anus.

Raide

Personally hope to see them center the DLC around an additional area that brings different monsters, weapons, and armors.

So say the base game launches with 5 areas of the 2 we have seen (not including arenas), they could support it with limited time/special quests immediately post-launch, then drop a themed DLC like described above every 2-3 months.

Really curious to see how long it's supported post launch as well.

Yeah, the dlc plans will be interesting. Are they going to go season pass style and have expansions every few months or are they going to stick to the 3DS style and have smaller themed content drops every month?

Giolon

Ok, I was ignoring this b/c I was mad at Capcom for not giving the US XX on Switch, but I have to admit after watching some GC videos that it's looking fucking awesome. I'm now on the hype train.

Ridley327

Personally hope to see them center the DLC around an additional area that brings different monsters, weapons, armors, etc.

So say the base game launches with 5 areas (2 of which we have seen, not including arena types), they could support it with limited time/special quests immediately post-launch, then drop a themed DLC like described above every 2-3 months.

Really curious to see how long it's supported post launch as well.

I think that expecting more than one new area total is a bit much, especially at the level of detail and interactivity that they're pushing here. The announced and expected biomes support a good variety of monsters as is, so they'll simply be shuffled into the existing lineup like they were always meant to be a part of that area.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I mean, I don't disagree with what you think is going to be the case, there's a reason it's taken this long for them to completely overhaul the game. However, you should really be less up in peoples grills over this considering you're basing everything you say from the insider lodged in your anus.

Alright, we'll talk at release.

Kyoufu

MH4 has, what, 51 large monsters? Around 14 of which are subspecies, so around 37 unique monsters and most of them are from previous generations, no?

They'll either pad MHW's roster like that or they'll take the Tri route and go for mostly new monsters at the cost of a lower total count.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I find the eating animations absolutely delightful. Those characters love eating as much as Goku.

I wonder why we still arent seeing the game with blood. They are adding it in, so maybe they just rather show off an earlier build for a while or something.

Dunno if it's been said yet but Great Jagras' drool becomes purple when he's poisoned, intead of purple bubbles over the head like previous games.

Ridley327

I wonder why we still arent seeing the game with blood. They are adding it in, so maybe they just rather show off an earlier build for a while or something.

Maybe they know that they're going to get an M-rating (a soft one, mind you) due to the higher level graphics with the blood, but want to get the hype rolling for the game with as many people as possible? Capcom did try to go for an M-rating on the original game by increasing the size of the blood flashes in the test version I played back when Playstation Underground was a thing, as the game disc was rated as such, but they dialed it back down for the final retail release to secure a T-rating.

Kinsei

Banned
Dunno if it's been said yet but Great Jagras' drool becomes purple when he's poisoned, intead of purple bubbles over the head like previous games.

Anjantah as well. I can't say I like the change. It's a bit too similar to the signs of fatigue IMO.

MH4 has, what, 51 large monsters? Around 14 of which are subspecies, so around 37 unique monsters and most of them are from previous generations, no?

They'll either pad MHW's roster like that or they'll take the Tri route and go for mostly new monsters at the cost of a lower total count.
They're gonna do DLC monsters for sure. Can't wait for the Lucent Nargacuga DLC pack.

Dat armor.

I wonder how easy it would be to implement DLC monsters since they fight each other now and have different dominant zones and places on the food chain.

Top Bottom