• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

janoDX

-All 14 weapons confirmed
-Health, Stamina, Potions, Sharpness all present
-Well done steak jingle returns!

So it's Monster Hunter with the extra twist of no loading times and no segmented areas + some "detective" mode and stealth.

I'm okay with this, I'll buy it with MH5 for Switch.

Ok, I know some are upset but you have to admit

if a year ago I told you the next Monster Hunter game by the core team would be launching in 2018 on the Xbox One, but not Nintendo's next handheld

you'd laugh at me and call me a dummy

Jamaro85

I've heard Monster Hunter plenty but have never even seen a video of the game, so I had no idea what I was watching with this trailer. It almost looked like a parody, or just a game that wasn't taking itself too seriously, but with a lot of jank. As someone who was completely blind to Monster Hunter I can't say the trailer drew my interest in the slightest.

Veldin

This game looks like what happens when Monster Hunter is no longer severely constrained by the memory and processing limitations of withered hardware. I think a lot of the negativity sprouts directly from the leakers framing of the game as "watered down for Western tastes".

Honestly, if this is supposed to be "Western" Monster Hunter then I'm having a hard time identifying what the western parts are.

Malvingt2

So.... I dunno how to feel about this... the trailer/gameplay was so bland... I feel empty... will wait for more details and footage..

Trojan X

Banned
Monster Hunter players, what do you think of this? Personally I am not sure.

Funny. Before I was thinking that I may have a reason to get a PS4 until I came here and realised it is coming on PC. Heh, no need to bother with the PS4 now.

Floody

Excited to see what all the fuss is about, even if it's a watered-down versions. Looked Dragon's Dogma-y and 4-player Dragon's Dogma-y gameplay sounds real fucking fun to me.

vala

3a8FKJH.gif

This looks pretty awesome!

spiritfox

I've heard Monster Hunter plenty but have never even seen a video of the game, so I had no idea what I was watching with this trailer. It almost looked like a parody, or just a game that wasn't taking itself too seriously, but with a lot of jank. As someone who was completely blind to Monster Hunter I can't say the trailer drew my interest in the slightest.

Monster Hunter never took itself seriously so I say that's a good thing?

jimmypython

So it's Monster Hunter with the extra twist of no loading times and no segmented areas + some "detective" mode and stealth.

MH4 was also Monster Hunter with extra twist of mounting, jump/climbing and bigger areas.

The point is MHWorld is as a mainline game as it can be, just without the title.

Kyoufu

Funny. Before I was thinking that I may have a reason to get a PS4 until I came here and realised it is coming on PC. Heh, no need to bother with the PS4 now.

Looks like the next evolution of MH that's been long overdue. Having said that, I can't judge it fully until I play it, but so far it looks a lot better than the rumoured "westernised" garbage that's been floating around.

JoyConBoy

Banned

i have played every mainline console game released in the US so far from its inception. and honestly dont have any opinions right now. it could be good, it could be crap. i dont know. need to wait for more gameplay to come out.

Kinsei

Banned

Monster Hunter is a series where you make cats cook for you, flex every time you drink a healing potion, have silly emotes, and it even has a gun which is a cat in a pot with a blowgun in it's mouth.

It certainly doesn't take itself seriously.

Defuser

Capcom is smart to label this as World and not 5. If World bombs or gets panned at least they make a MH5 game to sweep world under the rug

FingerBang

I'm sure the 7000 yen cheque sony gave capcom paid for a nice lunch for the producer

Come on, I'm not saying Sony paid for the exclusivity in Japan.

Sony did something to assure the game wasn't a Nintendo exclusive, according to the rumors, and they have the exclusive for Japan.

Obviously PS4 is the most popular home console atm, but people are still complaining on twitter that the game won't be on PC.

I understand it not being on Xbox (probably not worth distributing the game), but this kind of exclusivity doesn't make sense when PC is pretty much DD.

Jamaro85

Monster Hunter never took itself seriously so I say that's a good thing?

Yeah I didn't mean to say that as a bad thing, it was just an observation. The gameplay just felt really weird to watch, but again, this is coming from someone who has never seen anything of Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter is a series where you make cats cook for you, flex every time you drink a healing potion, have silly emotes, and it even has a gun which is a cat in a pot with a blowgun in it's mouth.

Lol, awesome. With the vibe the trailer gave me that doesn't surprise me at all.

FUME5

I'd say concept was great. Execution needs a lot of reworking.

It depended on what weapon you were using. Lance underwater was hilariously easy. Sword and Shield? Hell.

As an idea, sure, playing that shit one one stick handhelds though, that was murder on my hands.

With proper twin stick controls, we'll see, it is a uniquely claustrophobic environment to hunt mon in.

brinstar

Ok, I know some are upset but you have to admit

if a year ago I told you the next Monster Hunter game by the core team would be launching in 2018 on the Xbox One, but not Nintendo's next handheld

you'd laugh at me and call me a dummy

never underestimate the power of betrayalton lol

Effect

If this is what Capcom is doing and gives the Switch nothing then they can F themselves. Period. A port of damn expansion game from the 3DS isn't a equal offering and not on the same level. It's Monster Hunter 5 or Capcom can gtfo.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Trailer didn't give much, so I was skeptical about whether they dumb down any mechanics. I'm excited to hear that all the weapon types will be in, so it doesn't seem to be lacking in that department. Really just need to hear about how combat and crafting will work.

spiritfox

Oh man I hope they kept the flex. It'll be amazing to see it in HD.

Honestly, if this is supposed to be "Western" Monster Hunter then I'm having a hard time identifying what the western parts are.

I honestly think people are just projecting their perception onto the game based on those earlier leaks (which were likely bs).

Game looks distinctly Japanese to me, even down to the quirky animations. Looks great.

I didn't see anything in that trailer which signified a "westernization" of the series.

Sure it might have been different to traditional monhun games, but that doesn't immediately mean it's "westernized".

As an idea, sure, playing that shit one one stick handhelds though, that was murder on my hands.

With proper twin stick controls, we'll see, it is a uniquely claustrophobic environment to hunt mon in.

You do realize that Tri had twin stick controls right?

KingBroly

Banned
Come on, I'm not saying Sony paid for the exclusivity in Japan.

Sony did something to assure the game wasn't a Nintendo exclusive, according to the rumors, and they have the exclusive for Japan.

Obviously PS4 is the most popular home console atm, but people are still complaining on twitter that the game won't be on PC.

I understand it not being on Xbox (probably not worth distributing the game), but this kind of exclusivity doesn't make sense when PC is pretty much DD.

The rumor (I guess it's fact now?) said it was not to come to Nintendo systems, period. And they didn't care what else it came to.

PKrockin

I'm getting more optimistic now. I think the trailer featuring stealth and detective vision right away really left a bad first impression. If the combat is still good, it'll be good. And it's not like I hate the idea of a more exploration focus over the quest system. I just think the quest system is probably better for cutting out the bullshit in your 200th hour of play and jumping right into the boss fight you want. I'm still not impressed by the dull brown color scheme or the monster design but I think at worst it'll be a game I'll run through once and have a pretty good time. If it doesn't pan out that well I can still spend hundreds of hours on Double Cross once it releases in the West... right, Capcom?

Ridley327

If this is what Capcom is doing and gives the Switch nothing then they can F themselves. A port of damn expansion game from the 3DS isn't a equal offering and not on the same level. It's Monster Hunter 5 or Capcom can gtfo.

We're long past the days of Yamauchi being in charge and grudge-fucking companies over perceived betrayals. I mean, shit, Capcom straight up announced a PS2 port of RE4 a couple of months before it shipped on Gamecube and they still have a pretty great relationship with each other after all this time.

And after all, Nintendo is already publishing one Monster Hunter spinoff for them in the west this fall.

TI82

Banned
If this is what Capcom is doing and gives the Switch nothing then they can F themselves. Period. A port of damn expansion game from the 3DS isn't a equal offering and not on the same level. It's Monster Hunter 5 or Capcom can gtfo.

Doubt MH5 is even in serious development until they see reception for Worlds. If it sells well and people like it, MH5 will be more like Worlds but more expanded. If not, back to the older style.

just a hunch

JP_

Banned
Yeah I didn't mean to say that as a bad thing, it was just an observation. The gameplay just felt really weird to watch, but again, this is coming from someone who has never seen anything of Monster Hunter.

Lol, awesome. With the vibe the trailer gave me that doesn't surprise me at all.

Monster Hunter is like... Metal Gear Solid style humor with gameplay that feels more like Dark Souls.

And for what it's worth, as a huge monster hunter fan, I hated Dragon's Dogma. I tried to get into it, but any time I played it, it just reminded me of monster hunter and I just wanted it to feel more like monster hunter.

I have never said you didn't play MH, or didn't like the series. Having an issue with git-gudders doesn't mean you're a bad player or new player, it just means that you're taking their nonsense too seriously. I don't like git-gudders either, they ruin the community experience in any game they are in.

By dismissive, I meant you ignored everything others have said just to put up a strawman to topple, because... I guess it suits your narrative?

I am with EmGeeGramr here: Capcom's history of "western appeal" has been, well, IMO, terrible. Also, to me, MH's fun lie in the combat, not any of the fluffs concerning gathering and cooking and exploring, just straight into the fight and out to the next one, that's what I like about the series so far, not some dick-waving bollocks you seem to be pulling out of your arse.

I am absolutely fine that you, and others, are hype for the game, and I totally respect your opinion on the matter(I'm too old for hype, it seems, or TB and Jim Sterling really brainwashed me with their no-pre-order propaganda), but why are those of us being skeptical about the game can either be Switch fanboys or "hardcore traditionalist"? While any other reasons we have put out are simply dismissed?

For the record, I'm in the wait-n-see camp.

I have never ran into nor interacted with a git gudder. Either on GAF nor in MH. Git gudders are, fortunately, a non-issue for me.

I don't take issue with people who are reasonable wait and see types. But I take issue with the people who already have their mind made up before we've seen the final product. We're already seeing some people backtracking on their reservations with the announcement of the 14 weapons returning.

I haven't dismissed any reasons. If you're a reasonable poster and you took my comment as a personal attack, then know that I'm not talking to you.

If you're an unreasonable poster who goes "egh grappling hook western garbage and QTEs!" when MH has had crazy bug staffs and QTEs in the past, then I'm talking to you.

Well I guess I was wrong. So I decided to wait a bit to think about the series right now, and came out with a wait and see approach. Partly for what Emcee said but I think looking at the trailer again, along with the MH4 trailer should put me in that spot.

I think a lot of how mixed I was was the approach that felt like other trailers for other games, and maybe because the GS isn't terribly exciting enough to look at to gauge more.

Bowgun at the very least looks like it's getting the control upgrade it deserved for ages, although it makes me wonder if the mechanics will be any different for it.

Rather iffy on some of the new designs since they're kind of plain, then again, maybe they realized they got ridiculous when you have an Eygpt Mantis capable of piloting a Metal Gear.

Hearing all the weapons returning eased some feelings. Doesn't sound like this game is cross play though.

Waiting to see if more effects come in though.

Toxi

Banned
The more I think about drop-in multiplayer, the more I like the idea in Monster Hunter.

But then I think about some newbie dropping in and carting 3 times. Fuck.

Effect

We're long past the days of Yamauchi being in charge and grudge-fucking companies over perceived betrayals. I mean, shit, Capcom straight up announced a PS2 port of RE4 a couple of months before it shipped on Gamecube and they still have a pretty great relationship with each other after all this time.

And after all, Nintendo is already publishing one Monster Hunter spinoff for them in the west this fall.

Maybe . The question was what did monster hunter fans think of this. Not about Nintendo and Capcom and their relationship. For me personally if the Switch gets nothing (I don't count a port of an expansion of Monster Hunter X/Generations as a comparable offering) announced then I feel Capcom can F themselves. They can take their shitty online having Ultra Street Fighter with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom