• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tengrave

Absolutely fantastic. This is exactly what I wanted as well. Lots of the great things from 3 onward while giving us a new foundation to go somewhere new.

Briarios

I'm so sick of whiners ... honest talk: it looks great, but we don't know how it plays. There is nothing wrong with being excited and hopeful. We'll know once people get hands on if it's any good ... but, you have to expect Monster Hunter to evolve like every other game series out there. I love it, but it was getting stale and trapped in the past.

Boke1879

That doesn't make sense to me though. Why would they take the bulk of the marketing in the west when the game is on 2 other viable competing platforms in the region. It made sense for Nintendo to pretty much adopt the series when they were getting it exclusive in the west but Sony doesn't have that claim.

Because lets be honest. It'll most like sell a shit ton more on Playstation everywhere. And this is no doubt a game they need in their stable. A co-op online game.

I do see handhelds around occasionally. Not as much as before, and mobile is much more prevalent now, but there are still some.

TBH, even when i bring my Vita/3DS out . Its sometime easier to just play a quick round of Fire Emblem Heroes since Public transport is so crowded now. its easier to play mobile with one hand !

Do they? I've seen a lot of folks say they have no need for that game now. No idea why Capcom announced that game for the NS when Worlds is right around the corner.
All I've seen is people saying they'll skip XX as their first MH for this one. Those people don't know what's up yet.

I'll be getting both since I'm a MH fan and I'll take it in any form.

giphy.gif

rpmurphy

Do they? I've seen a lot of folks say they have no need for that game now. No idea why Capcom announced that game for the NS when Worlds is right around the corner.
I know people who were waiting for a console version of Generations because they didn't want to do 3DS anymore. Also not everyone is enthused for World.

DrArchon

Rncewind

They clearly haven't. It just looks like gunners can actually use guns without feeling like they've been transported to the 1990s when people were still figuring out how controls work.

Long range weapon controls need to be less clunky and modernised to feel good. Look at games that do archery really well like Dragon's Dogma and Horizon as examples.

i mean seriously as a mh veteran i can totally understand why a lot of people dont like certain aspekts of this game

but bitching about the bowgun? these people should get real aiming and such was horrendeus in this games, like real bad

Fuck YES!! Charge Blade is in! My favorite main weapon since it's introduction in MH4U! It was nerfed in MH X and rebalanced in MH XX....can't wait for MHW.

yami4ct

I'm so sick of whiners ... honest talk: it looks great, but we don't know how it plays. There is nothing wrong with being excited and hopeful. We'll know once people get hands on if it's any good ... but, you have to expect Monster Hunter to evolve like every other game series out there. I love it, but it was getting stale and trapped in the past.

There's also nothing wrong with saying you deeply love a franchise and are concerned with the direction they're taking. There's no reason to ban skepticism just as there's no reason to ban hype.

_Clash_

So Monster Hunter 5 will use these assets but stick to mainline design/ segmented world map is my guess

interesting to see which one i get into

Fdkn

if true, they paid a lot money to keep the game from nintendo

The game must have been on development for at least 2 years, when switch concept was not even final.

The 4chan rumour sounds stupid for plenty of reasons so I don't get why so many people believe it.

Kinsei

Banned
any idea when we can expect some raw footage?

There's a live stream on the 20th.

You know, I didn't notice it at the time, but the lack of hit-flashes is really hurting the impact of the hits there. It looks really off without them.

And I should know that as a GS main since the test demo for the first game.

Kinda, but the small freeze on impact is still there and I personally feel that does a great job emphasizing impact. I'm sure the flash and blood spurts will be added in before release.

You know, I didn't notice it at the time, but the lack of hit-flashes is really hurting the impact of the hits there. It looks really off without them.

Maybe they removed the blood spurts as the rating is still pending.

ajim

I will agree with the one thing that I actually legit liked without reservation was swimming.

Swimming kicked ass, you people were just soft
Agreed. Swimming and underwater battles and explorations were awesome.

This game looks fantastic

I've played every generation of MH too many times. Fought every monster, used damn near every weapon they've added. But it's gotten to the point where it takes more than a new monster and a new weapon style to get me excited for a new MH.

We've had FOUR generations of MH re-released at least twice each with new monsters. So yeah, I'm a little agitated when I see some people here say they just want another MH game with different monsters and new weapons yet again.

Wanting some drastic change doesn't make me not a die hard fan.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
-All 14 weapons confirmed
-Health, Stamina, Potions, Sharpness all present
-Well done steak jingle returns!

I think the game looks very good, and it still looks like Monster Hunter to me as well. Especially the animations. I mean, World certainly seems to be closer to MH4 and X than RE7 was to RE6, for example. Plus, I'm sure MH5 is still coming for fans of the more hardcore, portable titles.

Also, will this be Tokuda's first time directing?

jimmypython

I don't hate what I saw. There's a lot of good here.
Hopefully we get some gameplay over the next few days. If not, I'll be eagerly anticipating the demonstration on the 20th.

There is a Japan stream for gameplay on June 20. and I think there is a panel at E3 too.

Hrmmm...this looks a bit different for MH gameplay. MH gameplay is mostly about precision attacks. I sure hope they don't gimp the gameplay.

No difference in combat beyond the machine gun as far as I can tell.

I've played every generation of MH too many times. Fought every monster, used damn near every weapon they've added. But it's gotten to the point where it takes more than a new monster and a new weapon style to get me excited for a new MH.

We've had FOUR generations of MH re-released at least twice each with new monsters. So yeah, I'm a little agitated when I see some people here say they just want another MH game with different monsters and new weapons yet again.

Well said! As a former fan myself (stoped at 4G and 4U, yes I play both Japanese and US versions), It's about the damn time!

They clearly haven't. It just looks like gunners can actually use guns without feeling like they've been transported to the 1990s when people were still figuring out how controls work.

Long range weapon controls need to be less clunky and modernised to feel good. Look at games that do archery really well like Dragon's Dogma and Horizon as examples.
What are you talking about.

Guns and bows are nothing alike. You play MH you should know that.

Toxi

Banned

Yeah, definitely could use them.

Just please don't overdo them like in Frontier. Make them smaller, since they'll be on a larger screen.

What if this is mainline game and MH on Switch is spin-off?

Except it's not a mainline game. It's called World, not 5. It's like Frontier. MH fans in the west just aren't used to this shit because we're so fucking starved for Monster Hunter content. But in Japan shit like this comes out all the time.

Look, I'm every bit as hopeful for this new game as you, but that's not what people are saying. It's not that they don't want changes, it's just that the changes they think they see are more detractions to them then beneficial additions.

And I don't think I've seen people here question whether supporters of this game are true fans?

Estoc

I've played MH since the PS2. Been good since the PS2. Played all the ones on PSP and 3DS. Logged in about 200 hours on PS2 and 300+ on PSP and 3DS. I main greatsword, longsword, dual blades, and bowguns. I play with randoms online and have a great time.

I take issue with people who want more of the same when we've been getting that and will continue to be getting that. I don't see skepticism from some people. The hardcore traditionalists are the ones being dismissive, despite all previous MH games have had cinematic action trailers with crazier stuff than this trailer showed.

I have never said you didn't play MH, or didn't like the series. Having an issue with git-gudders doesn't mean you're a bad player or new player, it just means that you're taking their nonsense too seriously. I don't like git-gudders either, they ruin the community experience in any game they are in.

By dismissive, I meant you ignored everything others have said just to put up a strawman to topple, because... I guess it suits your narrative?

I am with EmGeeGramr here: Capcom's history of "western appeal" has been, well, IMO, terrible. Also, to me, MH's fun lie in the combat, not any of the fluffs concerning gathering and cooking and exploring, just straight into the fight and out to the next one, that's what I like about the series so far, not some dick-waving bollocks you seem to be pulling out of your arse.

I am absolutely fine that you, and others, are hype for the game, and I totally respect your opinion on the matter(I'm too old for hype, it seems, or TB and Jim Sterling really brainwashed me with their no-pre-order propaganda), but why are those of us being skeptical about the game can either be Switch fanboys or "hardcore traditionalist"? While any other reasons we have put out are simply dismissed?

For the record, I'm in the wait-n-see camp.

There is a Japan stream for gameplay on June 20. and I think there is a panel at E3 too.

No difference in combat beyond the machine gun as far as I can tell.

Great. I'm gonna check out the gameplay on June 20. You're right about the combat. Besides the machine gun, the GS swing still looks heavy. We'll see on June 20....cautiously optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom