• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World TGS 2017 Trailer

I honestly didn't think Capcom had the talent or resources any more to pull this off.

This is Gen-6 era levels of work and polish.
Tbf this is one of their flagship franchises, and I swear I remember something involving nepotism and MH being a passion project for a relative of the head of Capcom. I might have just dreamt that though.

BigEmil

I honestly didn't think Capcom had the talent or resources any more to pull this off.

I guess getting 4 years on a fresh game with new assets, more power to play with and a whole new audience to draw in, they can certainly do work when needed. So far it rings all the bells for me. I just need to know what their content plans are going forward.
Yup yup they going ALL IN. Cannot freaking wait!

Bruh

I guess getting 4 years on a fresh game with new assets, more power to play with and a whole new audience to draw in, they can certainly do work when needed. So far it rings all the bells for me. I just need to know what their content plans are going forward.

I know people seem to hate it here but Im hoping they go the games as a service route with G rank stuff being a dlc expansion.

Raide

I know people seem to hate it here but Im hoping they go the games as a service route with G rank stuff being a dlc expansion.

I am happy if they go that route if they add G Rank etc down the line. If the expansion is new zones, monsters, weapons etc, then it keeps the community going. The only danger is if they charge and it splits the community.

Paid for cosmetics etc I am fine with. Would prefer content to be regular and free but I am not sure that will work.

Ridley327

GaaS for Monster Hunter is a perfectly sensible route to go in for the series. What the question is if Capcom can resist being Capcom just this one time, since their recent track record with DLC pipelines is subpar, to say the least.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
I am happy if they go that route if they add G Rank etc down the line. If the expansion is new zones, monsters, weapons etc, then it keeps the community going. The only danger is if they charge and it splits the community.

Paid for cosmetics etc I am fine with. Would prefer content to be regular and free but I am not sure that will work.

@ the bold. They already have a model in place where the community ends up buying a new game. And the expansion is just sold as the G or Ultimate version. They could feasibly in a year Sell G rank as an expansion tot his game. And the next year title is sold as a GOTY package. People hungry for new content will jump on the expansion. And those who did not get it will get the new content and the base game. Kind of like a Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil deal.

Vena

They probably have no choice. I dont think they can afford to do a MHWG in a year or whatever. This game needs to saturate.

While I do think GaaS is the logical direction for World (though you can read my confusion on the seeming split of MHW and MHX pipelines and products in the MC threads and how that conflicts with GaaS), there are some issues with it in this context that I don't think have been deeply considered.

If the monsters themselves are part of GaaS as a DLC component, much as maps were in shooters a few years back, then you're going to face a potential fractal splitting of your audience. In the G-version releases, the split for the community was binary, you're either in the extended release or youre' not. Here it becomes potentially fractal if it follows a release type to that of SFV which would probably not be an ideal hole to go down. Each monster beyond the base becomes a fragmentation of your online community if it is sold piecemeal.

However, there's not much in this series to offer for GaaS in terms of the usual monetization methods unless they are introduced *for this entry*. Loot crate armor skins, boosters, flare, or whatever, to subsidize monster additions much as how Halo now gives maps out universally for free but monetizes other aspects like Warzones.

They'll have to be smart in how they handle G or even basic monster additions. GotY may be the best option but Capcom as a whole has moved to GaaS multiplayer centric titles, so I don't know how they will handle this.

If this goes GAAS, it's likely gonna be in paid expansions/season passes rather than carving out content 1 monster at a time. I can see cosmetic armor sets/gestures as well given their existence from that preorder bonus.

Not sure why some are immediately jumping to the worst possible conclusions.

Ridley327

If this goes GAAS, it's likely gonna be in paid expansions/season passes rather than carving out content 1 monster at a time. I can see cosmetic armor sets/gestures as well given their existence from that preorder bonus.

Just that recent history with Capcom and DLC suggesting that it's not worth giving them the benefit of the doubt right this very instant. I think it's a justified concern and that they're guilty until proven innocent.

Vena

I mean I suggested Season Pass and GotY. Not sure why you got worst case from offering multiple possibilities.

VariantX

This is probably the one game franchise that always got this level of polish since it took off on PSP. This looks as good to me as when RE5 and lost planet 1-2 made its debut. I wouldn't be surprised if this game is drawing a very significant amount of resources from their other projects as they seem to be betting it all here.

Ridley327

Looks like it will be able to travel through sandfalls like how the third gen raptors could go through the little caves. Neat.

Yeah, it looks like they're expanding spawn points out further than we've seen before. That's why I'd love to see Deviljho show up in here, since I bet they would have a lot of fun coming up with new ways to have him pop-scare, rather than keeping to the normal "up from the ground" routine.

EDIT: I found the video where that was taken from (here), and I do quite like a few things going on here:
1. Diablos is still a motherfucker when it comes to punishments
2. The added animation transitions of Diablos turning around are actually really, really helpful as they make it much more clear as to who he's targeting when he's getting ready to charge
3. I love the added animation they gave him for when he's bursting out of the ground, as you can see him use his wings to help pull himself up when his legs aren't enough

raven777

From Frontier to World
Nknc3S5.jpg

HlYil6i.png

Definitely won't say it's won me over, but I'm really digging the Desert biome and the flagship monster. I will say the intro/opening sequence was kinda lame, but I'm not feeling quite as meh about it.

More than likely will buy whenever Capcom manages to port the PC version.

Top Bottom