• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Laplasakos

All the gameplay impressions sound very positive so far. I hope that the stream on 20th will show us lot of gameplay footage or better a walkthrough with the UI and all the rest they gave mentioned so far.

That reminds me, how does Monster Hunter handles ammunition and consumables?

Do you have infinite ammo, or do you have to craft individual items, or do they replenish back at base?

duysieuhero

Neo Member
Siliconera

Here are the basic controls for the battle parts of Monster Hunter: World:

Circle – Attack
Triangle – Heavy Attack
You can also jump on monsters to mount and attack by mashing the triangle button.
Triangle + Circle – Rising Slash
X – Evade

reddit

Attack was triangle and r2
Circle was interact

hmm ?

Fistwell

Do you have infinite ammo, or do you have to craft individual items, or do they replenish back at base?
There are many different types of ammo, different guns allow you to use different ranges of types of ammo, sometimes with different firing properties for different types of ammo. You can carry a set number of any given type of ammo. Limits being stingy, gunners typically bring crafting material to missions to craft more ammo on the fly. Different types of ammo also have different existing levels of ammo, each with different power and sometimes properties (eg: piercing 1, piercing 2, piercing 3, normal 1, normal 2, etc).

All* ammo, you have to craft or purchase, or pick up for free somewhere (blue supply chest in missions). The only exception is the basic base ammo that does garbage dmg, that you have an infinite supply off. Takes forever to kill anything with. Think killing a bear throwing soft-shell tortillas at it.

The scale of environmental and other monster damage sounds about right to me. Dealing 10-15x the damage of a normal hit is a good payoff for the effort, much like getting a ton of good hits in during a trap.

Defuser

Nice to see the QoL being streamlined but I wonder did they do anything for the item menu.

On the fly item management plays a big part when you are a gunner/archer.

The only thing I'm annoyed with is the PC version being after consoles =/. Ugh. Not only do I not get XX on Switch--now I have to wait who-knows-how-long after consoles to play this. This is very frustrating, especially since Capcom was getting better about day-and-date console/PC releases that weren't tied down by exclusivity shit. They need to say when the PC version is out, and soon. None of this ambiguous "later date" shit. If it's more than a month I'll be incredibly annoyed.

Everything sounds great, and I'm really excited to get this, but goddamn does Capcom know how to make a bitch worry. Terrible trailer, dumb way of doling out news. Christ.

I wonder if monsters will be more relentless in attacking if there's no potion animations.

Boogiepop

The best way I can describe it is consumables littered through the environment that are triggered by attacking them. For example, rocks that you can drop to deal damage by hitting with your slingshot. Or a net of vines hanging in a tree, and if you knock the tree down with a monster the net can catch them. Or slightly glowing plants that when you attack them explode in light like a flash bomb. Or frogs that when you feed them a specific seed with your slingshot give off a poison gas that stuns hunters and small monsters.

Nothing was triggered by a button prompt like the dragonator, nor was anything slow. It was mostly all triggered in response to violence.
Thanks for all this, goes a good way towards easing my concerns. Still would need to see it and maybe play around with it myself some to see how I actually feel about it as an addition, but it at least sounds potentially like something I could be cool with.

The only thing I'm annoyed with is the PC version being after consoles =/. Ugh. Not only do I not get XX on Switch--now I have to wait who-knows-how-long after consoles to play this. This is very frustrating, especially since Capcom was getting better about day-and-date console/PC releases that weren't tied down by exclusivity shit. They need to say when the PC version is out, and soon. None of this ambiguous "later date" shit. If it's more than a month I'll be incredibly annoyed.

Everything sounds great, and I'm really excited to get this, but goddamn does Capcom know how to make a bitch worry. Terrible trailer, dumb way of doling out news. Christ.

I wonder if monsters will be more relentless in attacking if there's no potion animations.

To be fair, I believe the PC later isnt set in stone yet because the release date itself isnt. Early 2018 sounds like bs.
But hey, at least they're being honest upfront. Better this than pretend it doesnt exist to unveil it after.

Kyoufu

Nice to see the QoL being streamlined but I wonder did they do anything for the item menu.

On the fly item management plays a big part when you are a gunner/archer.

I wouldn't mind some DS4 touchpad features. Like quickly swiping in a certain direction to craft a particular item or something like that.

You have to craft/buy ammo.

There are many different types of ammo, different guns allow you to use different ranges of types of ammo, sometimes with different firing properties for different types of ammo. You can carry a set number of any given type of ammo. Limits being stingy, gunners typically bring crafting material to missions to craft more ammo on the fly. Different types of ammo also have different existing levels of ammo, each with different power and sometimes properties (eg: piercing 1, piercing 2, piercing 3, normal 1, normal 2, etc).

All* ammo, you have to craft or purchase, or pick up for free somewhere (blue supply chest in missions). The only exception is the basic base ammo that does garbage dmg, that you have an infinite supply off. Takes forever to kill anything with. Think killing a bear throwing soft-shell tortillas at it.

Wow, does that mean it cost a small fortune to bring enough ammo to every one of these big game hunts @_@

Wow, does that mean it cost a small fortune to bring enough ammo to every one of these big game hunts @_@
It's not terribly expensive for the most part, but some of the materials suck to farm (usually only for high level "special" rounds... normal rounds are dirt cheap). Hopefully they have a streamlined, less aggravating way for gunners to play this time around.

The worst part is inventory management, even with an extra gunner pouch. You bring ammo and materials to craft more ammo. You have to refill these after each hunt (thank god for item loadouts). I've mostly stayed away because of the extra prep, so some of this might not be entirely accurate.

spiritfox

It's not terribly expensive for the most part, but some of the materials suck to farm (usually only for high level "special" rounds... normal rounds are dirt cheap). Hopefully they have a streamlined, less aggravating way for gunners to play this time around.

The worst part is inventory management, even with an extra gunner pouch. You bring ammo and materials to craft more ammo. You have to refill these after each hunt (thank god for item loadouts). I've mostly stayed away because of the extra prep, so some of this might not be entirely accurate.

Honestly you could finish most low and high rank hunts with your base ammo capacity, unless you're using very specialized ammo. I never had a problem with ammo in my hunts unless it was a 2 monster hunt.

I see, so range weapons have an gameplay extra management of ammo while melee weapons have the extra management of weapon sharpness and durability, right?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If field items are auto pickup, thats a shame. I always liked the risk vs reward mechanic there

Honestly you could finish most low and high rank hunts with your base ammo capacity, unless you're using very specialized ammo. I never had a problem with ammo in my hunts unless it was a 2 monster hunt.
True, but bringing the right ammo could turn hunting into poaching. You'd cut hunting times by half or more.

And yes, ammo management is much, much worse than sharpening.

Kyoufu

Ammo management and clunky controls are the two reasons why I haven't used long range weapons in MH since MHP2nd. It's just not fun anymore.

If they can at least streamline the controls then I'd be willing to use guns and bows again.

Riposte

What are the lose conditions of missions?

EDIT: Read the OP, but still confused about zoning. I guess there are no zones, but hallways instead. I wonder how long those hallways are.

jeremy1456

Minecraft is as big a game as console Monster Hunter in Japan. On console at least.

So the Switch being the only viable platform with the upgrades is a bigger thing than monster Hunter world in Japan.

Qvoth

Also ranged weapon armors have lower defense stat than melee armor
I'm assuming this is still the case, haven't played since the psp games

Is fast travel gonna be the next casual excuse despite the originals having farcasters to return to base camp.

That Reddit post makes monsters breaking environments sound amazing.

Is fast travel gonna be the next casual excuse despite the originals having farcasters to return to base camp.

That Reddit post makes monsters breaking environments sound amazing.

Yeah at E3 it was pretty damn intense. That Trex looking thing crashed through all kinds of trees and tunnels and then would jump and claw down the player as it tried to climb up cliffs.

JP_

Banned
Also ranged weapon armors have lower defense stat than melee armor
I'm assuming this is still the case, haven't played since the psp games

I'm still wondering about that whole blademaster/gunner thing
I wonder if they're getting rid of blademaster/gunner armor distinction.

- Now that it all demands HD assets, it'd make sense to want to shrink your workload by half
- Now you can swap equipment at basecamp mid-mission -- putting aside presets, sharing armor would make swapping to gun more convenient
- In the short gunner clip, it looks like the same armor to me.

Can anyone that saw the demos confirm?

Leezard

I wonder if they're getting rid of blademaster/gunner armor distinction.

- Now that it all demands HD assets, it'd make sense to want to shrink your workload by half
- Now you can swap equipment at basecamp mid-mission -- putting aside presets, sharing armor would make swapping to gun more convenient
- In the short gunner clip, it looks like the same armor to me.

Can anyone that saw the demos confirm?

It would be nice if it was removed. Even if you would still get half armor and different armor skills, halving the amount of needed farm if you want to play both blademaster and gunner would be fantastic.

Yeah at E3 it was pretty damn intense. That Trex looking thing crashed through all kinds of trees and tunnels and then would jump and claw down the player as it tried to climb up cliffs.

I thought the trailer showed it off a little too much. I can't imagine a standard fight having more than one breakable piece. Why would you run away from a monster that much if the combat is the same. It was more visually dramatic than watching standard hunter combat I suppose. It could also be an option for lesser experienced hunters to whittle their health down without fighting as much.

Teepo671

The flexing animation after healing is gone? Does that mean the tummy patting after eating is gone, too? Huh. I was pretty worried hearing they wanted to cater to western audiences with this new MH and it looks like my worries weren't without merit. I actually loved thinking, "STOP FLEXING, YOU IDIOT!! THAT RATHALOS IS CHARGING TOWARDS YOU!!!" after my dumb hunter healed, it was part of the charm and I really loved all those goofy animations.

Sounds like this monster hunter might be all serious and gritty without the charm I've come to enjoy from the series. At least the cooking animation was still there from the trailer I remember but I also thought, "Where's the fun cooking music?!" Ah, well. I'll try to stay optimistic but with MHXX possibly not coming west it's kind of hard. D:

The flexing animation after healing is gone? Does that mean the tummy patting after eating is gone, too? Huh. I was pretty worried hearing they wanted to cater to western audiences with this new MH and it looks like my worries weren't without merit. I actually loved thinking, "STOP FLEXING, YOU IDIOT!! THAT RATHALOS IS CHARGING TOWARDS YOU!!!" after my dumb hunter healed, it was part of the charm and I really loved all those goofy animations.

Sounds like this monster hunter might be all serious and gritty without the charm I've come to enjoy from the series. At least the cooking animation was still there from the trailer I remember but I also thought, "Where's the fun cooking music?!" Ah, well. I'll try to stay optimistic but with MHXX possibly not coming west it's kind of hard. D:

I saw nothing in the trailer that came off as dark and gritty. The cooking tune is still there. Silly animations were never a charm to me.

Kyoufu

Stopping for like 5 seconds to drink a potion probably doesn't make much sense in a game where monsters can chase you around the entire map, even running into hazards that can potentially kill you.

Obviously I can't say for sure why they removed it until I get a feel for the game myself but they probably want to encourage players in moving around as much as possible.

Teepo671

Meh, I already said I'd still be keeping an open mind about the game. Nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic. I'm still hoping a MHXX announcement is made because it'd be nice to have a back up in case MHW winds up disappointing.

Btw for people thinking they might removed silly animations to appeal to the west, you guys remember games like Destiny and Overwatch have emotes right?

Top Bottom