• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Spman2099

The flexing animation after healing is gone? Does that mean the tummy patting after eating is gone, too? Huh. I was pretty worried hearing they wanted to cater to western audiences with this new MH and it looks like my worries weren't without merit. I actually loved thinking, "STOP FLEXING, YOU IDIOT!! THAT RATHALOS IS CHARGING TOWARDS YOU!!!" after my dumb hunter healed, it was part of the charm and I really loved all those goofy animations.

Sounds like this monster hunter might be all serious and gritty without the charm I've come to enjoy from the series. At least the cooking animation was still there from the trailer I remember but I also thought, "Where's the fun cooking music?!" Ah, well. I'll try to stay optimistic but with MHXX possibly not coming west it's kind of hard. D:

While I have enjoyed multiple Monster Hunter games, I am not so attached to the series that I wouldn't mind them shaking it up quite a bit. That being said, I really don't want them to lose that charm. Those little animations are a big part of what kept me coming back. I hope that goofy fun element is still in this one.

nubbe

Btw for people thinking they might removed silly animations to appeal to the west, you guys remember games like Destiny and Overwatch have emotes right?

Not even remotely the same
The animations are long and exaggerated to make it a dangerous to consume power up's during a fight.

Removing consuming animations would potentially make encounters more trivial

Rmagnus

Banned
The animations are long and exaggerated to make it a dangerous to consume power up's during a fight.

Yeah that is what I am afraid of... The animations are there as a risk and reward factor. I really hope they do not make the game too streamline.

Shoyz

I don't see how the healing animations made the game any harder; it just made it more tedious. Whenever I got low on health, I would take a few second sprint to the closest zone, heal, eat, sharpen my weapon, and then waltz back with the monster waiting for me.

An open world with less tedious animations will be awesome.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I really liked the stealth parts of the video, while the grappling ones didn't nothing to me and the shooting one....was actually bad.
looking forward for it for sure

Rmagnus

Banned
I don't see how the healing animations made the game any harder; it just made it more tedious. Whenever I got low on health, I would take a few second sprint to the closest zone, heal, eat, sharpen my weapon, and then waltz back with the monster waiting for me.

Well if you are gonna zone every single time to heal you are gonna take forever to kill anything.. I guess different play style and all that.
What you have stated is just not appealing to me and the DMG output number i really hope that can be turn off, the last thing I want is the dmc nightmare all over again

Kyoufu

I really liked the stealth parts of the video, while the grappling ones didn't nothing to me and the shooting one....was actually bad.

That was the LBG's special attack. I thought it was an actual machine gun at first so I was like NOPE.

Sarcasm

Yea zoning out sound way more tedious then just thinking about when the time is right.

Mafro

Well if you are gonna zone every single time to heal you are gonna take forever to kill anything.. I guess different play style and all that.
What you have stated is just not appealing to me and the DMG output number i really hope that can be turn off, the last thing I want is the dmc nightmare all over again
Pretty sure I saw Gaijinhunter mention on either Twitter or one of his videos that the damage numbers can be toggled on and off.

Bloodborne don't need long animations to build a sense of risk vs reward for healing.

Edit:

I don't actually know how long it takes for monster Hunter to heal but if it's as absurd as people say it's is (5 seconds?) then it's really unnecessary imo

Raide

Yeah, hopefully a toggle but I can see what they are doing it. MH players are so use to knowing the zones of each monster, what element they are weak to and what damage type is best to cause maximum damage. I did not learn these from constant fighting, it was because I checked out a website that showed me and I tailored my weapons and hear for that.

Adding damage numbers basically gives new players a better indication that they are doing a good/bad job during the fight.

crinale

I've written this before but Felvine bomb exploit pretty much nullified the demerit of flexing motion upon healing, up to the point everyone with some knowledge used it, making the "risk" kinda pointless.
I can see why it's gone.

Tenbatsu

Finally a console mh after so many years. Bring's to mind the spirit of the earlier games, deepening the non-combat aspects of the game. Reinforcing the value and multipurposeness of the items. It's really nice to see the series going back to its roots.

capnjazz

Neo Member

I wasn't a fan of the grappling stuff either but I think the HBG machine gun fire is like a hunter art where it has a meter and depletes.

Tom_Cody

This.

That said, I trust the team to find another way to balance the gameplay. I'm going into this with an open mind,

Drencrom

I saw nothing in the trailer that came off as dark and gritty. The cooking tune is still there. Silly animations were never a charm to me.

The animations are still hella exaggerated and silly in a good way, it's very much an integral aspect of MH at this point.

But I'm glad they got rid of the static potion animation with the flexing, that one was a bit too much imo.

Raide

So this hookshot thingy. Seems useful for getting around but they also mentioned it's used for picking up rocks and throwing them. Do you think it will also replace paintballs and dung etc? Pick up poo fling the poo.

popyea

Bloodborne don't need long animations to build a sense of risk vs reward for healing.

Edit:

I don't actually know how long it takes for monster Hunter to heal but if it's as absurd as people say it's is (5 seconds?) then it's really unnecessary imo

Bloodborne really doesn't put a risk reward focus on potion healing. It manages that with the regain system instead. Healing in MH is a completely different beast. It takes the same kind of consideration as landing a hit with a slow weapon. You can only heal near a monster when once you really understand where the openings are.

This.

That said, I trust the team to find another way to balance the gameplay. I'm going into this with an open mind,

Pretty much.

There's no reason for me to think, given the changes to this installment as a whole, that the potion change is an isolated one.

It's likely to be like the Bloodborne example, where bosses and enemies are more aggressive as a result. There could be less downtime between monster attacks or just the monsters chasing you between zones makes the older healing system not a good fit. Given the plethora of changes and evolutions present in this title, we just have to wait and see how it plays out in an actual hunt.

Kinsei

Banned
sLy9AH5.gif

That's honestly the best thing they've shown (publicly) so far. Not just because it looks great and helps make the monster feel real but because it opens up so many gameplay possibilities. I get the feeling a bloated Great Jagras drastically changes the way you fight it and I also imagine there will probably be a great risk/reward if you try and attack the puffed up belly.

Hoodbury

So this hookshot thingy. Seems useful for getting around but they also mentioned it's used for picking up rocks and throwing them. Do you think it will also replace paintballs and dung etc? Pick up poo fling the poo.

Those little firefly's replace paintballs they said.

Once you get good at the game you learn the attack patterns of the monsters and can easily weave in consumables in the fight, even steaks. The fights are designed for you to discover which moves are safe to do so. Now you don't even have to bother to learn.

Coxswain

Edit:

In my experience, among most people who are big fans of Monster Hunter but don't actually like Bloodborne or other Souls game, one of the most universal reasons given for the latter is specifically that Souls/BB don't feel like they have a sense of risk/reward when you use healing items, and you can sort of just quaff potions all you like until you run out of them unless you're literally trying to chug them when a sword is mid-swing aimed at your head.

I'm willing to see what they do here and give the developers the benefit of the doubt, but if healing is as consequence-free as in From's games then that's kind of the death of a lot of my enjoyment of Monster Hunter.

I love reading the initial knee jerk reactions from posters saying it looks like a crappy, "casualised" spin-off, just look at the first page lmao

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1390406

And I'm still worried this game won't be quite as satisfying and have the skill ceiling of previous entries. What's so funny about the first page being worried when the trailer purposely didn't show combat past 2 jumping slashes?

pupcore

Neo Member
The game looks awesome, I'm definitely gonna buy it.

I do kinda hope they change the name though, something about 'World' sounds extremely cheesy to me. It makes it sound like a theme park, I think?

And I'm still worried this game won't be quite as satisfying and have the skill ceiling of previous entries. What's so funny about the first page being worried when the trailer purposely didn't show combat past 2 jumping slashes?

Because it's an obvious over-reaction.

Personally I find it more hilarious that anything could be spinned into "They changed things to appeal to the west!"

Edit:

And thus Bloodborne relied on one shot kills/high damage, which just forces you to top up to 100% hp. Not a good argument for risk vs reward.

And monster hunter is an OTT game, what is with the amount of non-MH fans trying to tell MH fans what is good about their game.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Do we have any write-ups regarding the demo? I'd love to know how the weapons movesets are changed for this game. Need to know how Charge Blade will be in this.

Because it's an obvious over-reaction.

Personally I find it more hilarious that anything could be spinned into "They changed things to appeal to the west!"

Youre delusional if you think they didn't brought MH on ps4 pc and goddamn xbox on an attempt to appeal to the west. They could have easily continued to churn out cheaper to develop entries on portable hardware for easy millions on the japanese market. And yet here we are, a much more costly to develop game with no local coop on xbox, a console with zero sales in japan, on pc which japan is incredibly niche and ps4 which has been lagging behind on that market. But no, not made for the west!

I love reading the initial knee jerk reactions from posters saying it looks like a crappy, "casualised" spin-off, just look at the first page lmao

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1390406

To be fair, the trailer was bad at showing the nature of the series.

Instead, the trailer mainly shows the new features that are alien to the fan base.

Also, people are still skeptical at least until the gameplay demo showing on the 20th, maybe.

Drencrom

Who said our opinion has changed?

I'm mostly talking about people proclaiming it's an obvious shoddy spin-off when the fact it it's a mainline game made by the main development team and jumping to conclusions regarding the game having regenerating health, QTE, combat being "westernized" etc

Ryuuga

Banned
To be fair, the trailer was bad at showing the nature of the series.

Instead, the trailer mainly shows the new features that are alien to the fan base.

Which was also the case for the MH4 Trailer. If anything this trailer spoke more to existing fans than to people not familiar to the franchise. Now I'm not saying a historical precedent makes this trailer any better, but longtime fans know not to call it during the first showing.

And thus Bloodborne relied on one shot kills/high damage, which just forces you to top up to 100% hp. Not a good argument for risk vs reward.

And monster hunter is an OTT game, what is with the amount of non-MH fans trying to tell MH fans what is good about their game.

Get off your high horse. There's plenty of fans of Monster Hunter that want more from the game than it currently offers. Not everyone who plays it cares about it being some pinnacle of challenge. Some people just want to roll up with the squad and kill monsters to make neat hats, and the potential QoL changes are welcomed.

Drencrom

Which was also the case for the MH4 Trailer. If anything this trailer spoke more to existing fans than to people not familiar to the franchise. Now I'm not saying a historical precedent makes this trailer any better, but longtime fans know not to call it during the first showing.

Man, look at this westernized garbage. No combat or co-op shown at all, this is nothing like MH.

Toxi

Banned
Wow, the new Monster Hunter game made by the same people as Monster Hunter 4 plays like Monster Hunter?

Who would have guessed it?

Top Bottom